I didn't want him back

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

People were taking responsibility today. When someone messed up they were called out - e.g. that soft tackle from brooks which Souza went mad at. The "5-0 isn't too bad" mentality looks gone at the mo.

yeah still think we will go down but boy is it going to be a rollercoaster ride for the rest of this season and even if we do go down i feel a lot more positive that we could be a top 6 side again in the championship next season

I definitely didn't want him back not just because of the last season he was here and the way he left but also I think his return has been planned for weeks behind Hecky's back.
That said in the last two games it looks like a different team no longer do we look like a set of players running through treacle, we have so much energy. Were the lads overworked in training under the previous management the difference is astounding, we are putting out real "Sheff United" performances from kick off until final whistle, win lose or draw you can't ask for more than that. It looks like the Prince has got lucky again with his choice to turn the clock back.

I wanted him back and I am glad people are getting on board but the flip flop nature of football fans is hilarious. We have Chelsea and Villa next up and both will be tough for us and I hope the flip floppers don't do another flip!
Should set out to beat Chelsea.
Villa a bridge too far.

After watching that performance today (and on Wednesday) I cannot believe the turm around from only 7 days ago at Burnley. Staggering. And basically it’s the same players! All of a sudden they look like proper footballers and the fight and effort is there. Like others on here I didn’t want him back. I thought even pep Guardiola would not have a chance of getting anything from our useless squad but how wrong I was!

Took my mate today who is a Derby fan, the one thing he said which struck a chord is the way the boys all fought for one another all over the pitch to win the game, never stopped and had real conviction in the game plan. We have plenty to be optomistic about

Encouraging signs but plenty of work to do, especially with both players and the manager in repairing their respective relationships with the fans.

Hecky clearly limited as a manager at this level but those players really let him down this season. I tend to think the players saw him more as a mate than a manager but performances this season have been inexcusable.

Didn’t see Wilder as a long term solution and personally I’ve gone right off him but I said if nothing else we won’t be rolling over and accepting 5-0 defeats every other week.

2 highly likely defeats at Chelsea and Villa and the mood could easily swing again.

Ultimately though it’s been good to see us compete in a game for 90 mins, never mind the fact we actually won it. Let’s hope for a few more memorable moments this season.

I'm pretty certain Wilder has been waiting in the wings and taking notes on these players ready for when he got the nod to take over. He's playing players where they are comfortable and getting the best from them.
Rumour was that Wilders contract was in place weeks ago and I've no idea why the Prince left Hecky in charge to lose all 6 points to Bournemouth & Burnley

I'm a wilder fan boy so I was happy, but I didn't imagine it would be like this. We seem to have the squad that could stay up but I fear it's too late with the injuries and games elapsed, but get us to 30 points and it will be a solid effort. Next season will hopefully be another exciting and successful one
Daft as owt but 30 points might be enough to stay up.

Hopefully, my opposition to Wilder coming back will rank alongside my other two great moany negatives.

1981, Ian Botham sacked as England captain, and I'm telling everyone, "Not just the captaincy, with his current form he shouldn't even be in the squad."

2015, and Billy Sharp signs up for a third spell at Bramall Lane. "Why? It didn't work the first two times, and I see nothing to say it will work this time."

So far, I'm thoroughly enjoying this second ride of Wilder's.

I wasn’t happy with that final Covid awful season, that was a different Wilder to the one we knew and worshipped. He was stubborn in a bad way and seemed to have fallen out with everyone, I didn’t like the way he left, for me he should have stayed and tried to put his wrongs right the next season in the championship. (They were his awful signings, Ramsdale/Brewster/Burke etc)

2 months ago when the rumours first started I was 100% against it - 1 week ago I was 100% for it as a change was absolutely necessary

In hindsight, the club should have relieved Hecky of his duties after the Newcastle game, I thought that was a one off freak but obviously not.

If we have got Wilder MK1 then we’re a lucky club and I’d love it nothing more!

I too did not want Wilder re-appointed, to say the least, but I'm delighted there's been such a dramatic improvement in performance already.

There's a long way to go, though, before it can be said that this is a successful return.

What it does show, though, is that this change (or "a change") should have been made a lot sooner - the Fulham game was the point at which it was completely obvious Hecky was never going to get it together in this division.

The reality is that any decent manager would have been able to improve us signifcantly - I've been saying all season that we've got some perfectly decent players who've been capable of far better than they've produced so far. So it's no surprise that at the change at the top brought about an instant change in attitude and belief.

The last week, though, has been the first time in quite a while I've been able to get through 90 minutes - and entertained too, so long may that continue.

I too did not want Wilder re-appointed, to say the least, but I'm delighted there's been such a dramatic improvement in performance already.

There's a long way to go, though, before it can be said that this is a successful return.

What it does show, though, is that this change (or "a change") should have been made a lot sooner - the Fulham game was the point at which it was completely obvious Hecky was never going to get it together in this division.

The reality is that any decent manager would have been able to improve us signifcantly - I've been saying all season that we've got some perfectly decent players who've been capable of far better than they've produced so far. So it's no surprise that at the change at the top brought about an instant change in attitude and belief.

The last week, though, has been the first time in quite a while I've been able to get through 90 minutes - and entertained too, so long may that continue.
I echo a lot of that.

I said in another post that any apology was unnecessary and I stand by that. What we all want whether we’re for or against is what we have seen so far.

The other night, I don’t remember ever being happy with a two nil defeat but the significant change was pleasing to see.

I think most people know my opinion on Wilder and we have seen an upturn in or performances, but let's just hold back from putting a statue of him in the car park.
Let's see where we are at the end of the season and how he does in the January transfer window...

Loved it today at the end how wilder made all the squad walk round the pitch starting at bramall lane end "together", then he just walked off not wanting to steal any of the limelight from the players. I've missed the way he does things, even the smaller things like that. He understands our club and wants things done properly.

I think part of PH's problem that he was often telling players /team they were playing ok,so they carried on with same effort when they clearly were not. Wilder tells them they are not playing ok at all but tells them he believes in them and that they can improve massively and guess what , they do.

Imagine if football managers had poll ratings like politicians do? Chris Wilder would have gone up about 30 points in the polls over this last week.

Great interview with Wilder on TalkSPORT at 8.30am this morning live with Tony Cascarino and Natalie Sawyer. He sounded so up for it. His enthusiasm is contagious. As someone who was there at the 3-2 against Forest in 1991 for the first win just before Xmas, starting to believe. Wilder is our Bassett. We just need a new Glynn Hodges in January.

I think his last season with us during COVID was bad in a lot of the same ways this season has been. Stubborness, not changing the team when needed, no plan b when it's obvious plan a isn't working. This season's souza and Norwood is that season's lundstrum, obvious to seemingly everyone except the managers that it needed changing.

Then obviously he didn't pull up any trees at Boro and Watford (seriously, what was he doing at Boro? They would have gone down to league one if he'd stayed on)

I'm happy the last couple of performances are levels above what we've been capable of so far. Hopefully we can avoid a heavy defeat knocking the wind out of our sails, and surpass derbys record low points total, anything else is a bonus.

I saw more negatives than positives about his return but they look totally unfounded now

things change all the time in football
we lose 0-3 at home to Bournemouth and we think our worlds about to explode
2 weeks later we win and kept our first clean sheet and man utd lose to bournemouth 0-3

hes mellowed in some ways and stopped taking criticism personally
he got caught up in a pit of despair and lost his thread at the time but he can come at it from a different angle now ,
Hes letting some of the kids lift us and doesnt seem phased about thrusting them in the maelstrom

We're not getting 0 points from Bournemouth and Burnley under Wilder. If only..

I can see why they gave Hecky time but a lot would've gone after the Newcastle hammering.
bournemouth are on fire just now and Burnley again got to play 10 men
wouldnt suprise me if we won at newcastle , football can throw up stupid things like that

We may never know the true reason why he left, or was sacked or left by mutual consent, last time around, but whatever "brain fog" he was having has lifted and I honestly don't think Chris Wilder could have gone to his grave without coming back and righting whatever was wrong in the past.

The difference, in less that a week, with this group of players is incredible.

Archer suddenly appears to have the pace and body strength of Kyle Walker, Hamer and Souza are transformed and Slimane looks a real prospect.

That could have been 2-0 or more, yesterday. Belief and self confidence in all sportsmen is a big thing and the lads seem to have that.

Will we stay up?, it will be a miracle, but it's not impossible. Will we go for it, in every game, until the end of the season?, yes.

Welcome home Chris.

Up The Blades!

I'm pretty certain Wilder has been waiting in the wings and taking notes on these players ready for when he got the nod to take over. He's playing players where they are comfortable and getting the best from them.
Hadn't Knill been attending games for a little while beforehand? I'm sure they were well prepared before they were reappointed.

I would have been gutted if he ended up at Sunderland, Swansea, Rotherham etc

already looking forward to the other sides saying 'we had an off day !'

Still never forget that last minute goal at Peterborough by Billy in the last minute,
when that game finished I knew we were on the up and in safe hands. UTB

Back
Top Bottom