How is Chris Doing

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I think survival was just wishful thinking but realistically all we wanted was to stop the pasting and be more competitive, and to pick up some points here and there to ultimately beat Derbys points. This is what Wilder is doing and going to do so it’s a success so far from me.

Thats how I saw it too.
The other (very important) factor was also to have some genuine optimism for next season, all fans need hope.

I never understood what Hecky was trying to do and never really understood Hecky's pre and post match interviews because he never revealed anything, so without N'Diaye I was 100% confident we couldn't be promoted under Hecky and I was fearful we would be relegated again next season.

Now we have Wilder, he talks a good game, seems genuine and passionate.
We've seen CW can turn average players into a good team, so I'm feeling much more optimistic about next season.

Last edited:

His brief was to stop us getting thrashed as much and we haven’t been thrashed during his tenure.

No one with a reasonable grasp of football thought we’d stay up and the board decided that we were going straight back down in the summer and orchestrated things so that it was nailed on.

I’d rather have Wilder than a lot of other possible options.

Wilder's 6 games:
and two poor (Chelsea, Luton). It's nice to see that the tactical setup seems to be with the players and the opposition in mind rather than blindly following the 5-3-2 template irrespective but the Luton game in particular was disappointing,

Don't underestimate Luton, most teams have poor performances against them, that's what they make you do.
Thought we started cagey/ underpass but we turned it around 2nd half and looked really good and dominant at 2-1 up.

The goalie mistakes and own goals were unlucky and killed us. On another day we win that game.

Don't underestimate Luton, most teams have poor performances against them, that's what they make you do.
Thought we started cagey/ underpass but we turned it around 2nd half and looked really good and dominant at 2-1 up.

The goalie mistakes and own goals were unlucky and killed us. On another day we win that game.
I'm not underestimating Luton: they've got midtable Championship level players playing to an extremely effective gameplan which makes them hard to beat. The closest example I can come up with is the Blades side which finished 9th in 19/20.

He sparked a life into our game and it seems kinda similar what Hecky did after Slavs deadend..
I hope he/we can end our season like we did back then, which would mean staying up..

The situation we are was the legacy of Hecky and it's not easy job to do..

It’s difficult to separate the new manager bounce from any underlying improvement. The results are still dire.
We will see in the next few weeks .
Longer term cannot believe Wilder is the answer,to me seems a dinosaur type, we need a young manager with modern ideas. Need young strong athletic players,particularly those that play wide . Cannot believe that is consistent with his 3/5 at the back.

It’s difficult to separate the new manager bounce from any underlying improvement. The results are still dire.
We will see in the next few weeks .
Longer term cannot believe Wilder is the answer,to me seems a dinosaur type, we need a young manager with modern ideas. Need young strong athletic players,particularly those that play wide . Cannot believe that is consistent with his 3/5 at the back.
We've played 5 at the back twice, both away games against teams in the top 4. Every other game has been played with 4 at the back with the exception of forty minutes against Luton.

Liverpool: 4-5-1
Brentford: 4-3-3
Chelsea: 4-1-4-1
Villa: 5-4-1
Luton: 4-4-2 (to half time) / 5-3-2 (to 86 mins) / 4-1-2-3
City: 5-4-1

I think he’s had a decent start but with room for improvement. Personally i would never have appointed him but there are some key improvements I have seen so far:

• Our structure and our defensive resilience is far better.
  • We are having more shots at goal.
  • We are less passive without the ball and are more switched on out of possession.
The changes I would hope to see coming soon that would make it a good appointment would be:

• Retaining possession better, reducing the amount of aimless clearances and hoofs into channels that lose possession.
  • Improving our attacking play, more goals, shots and attacking intent.
  • Less reliance on defending for huge periods of the game, establishing more control with the ball to take the stress of our goal.
  • More positive, entertaining style of play.
  • Win more 2nd balls, be more aggressive in how we defend, whilst we are less passive than before we aren’t as aggressive as we were before under wilder.
So for me he’s improved our structure and defence but still needs to address our possession, control and attacking intent.

Therefore i would give him a 6/10 so far.

I'm not underestimating Luton: they've got midtable Championship level players playing to an extremely effective gameplan which makes them hard to beat. The closest example I can come up with is the Blades side which finished 9th in 19/20.

I remember every PL manager and every MOTD pundit telling anyone who would listen in 19/20 how whoever was playing the Blades was having a bad day and it happens to all clubs, no one was saying how the Blades were making them have a bad day.

I have no axe to grind with Luton and hope they get the praise they deserve this season, but they should not have won that game, 2 OG’s is a generational anomaly.

I think he’s had a decent start but with room for improvement. Personally i would never have appointed him but there are some key improvements I have seen so far:

• Our structure and our defensive resilience is far better.
  • We are having more shots at goal.
  • We are less passive without the ball and are more switched on out of possession.
The changes I would hope to see coming soon that would make it a good appointment would be:

• Retaining possession better, reducing the amount of aimless clearances and hoofs into channels that lose possession.
  • Improving our attacking play, more goals, shots and attacking intent.
  • Less reliance on defending for huge periods of the game, establishing more control with the ball to take the stress of our goal.
  • More positive, entertaining style of play.
  • Win more 2nd balls, be more aggressive in how we defend, whilst we are less passive than before we aren’t as aggressive as we were before under wilder.
So for me he’s improved our structure and defence but still needs to address our possession, control and attacking intent.

Therefore i would give him a 6/10 so far.

Agree with most of that (and I wouldn't have appointed him either). I also think the attitude of certain players has improved markedly - Souza for example looks much more up for the fight than he did under Hecky.
We have to start retaining the ball better if we want to get results - our games are just attack vs defence at times and eventually we crack.

I remember every PL manager and every MOTD pundit telling anyone who would listen in 19/20 how whoever was playing the Blades was having a bad day and it happens to all clubs, no one was saying how the Blades were making them have a bad day.

I have no axe to grind with Luton and hope they get the praise they deserve this season, but they should not have won that game, 2 OG’s is a generational anomaly.
Last time I can recall it winning a game against the odds in the Premier League was in 2001: Arsenal 0-3 Middlesbrough. The parallels continue: Edu and Sylvinho scored own goals 4 minutes apart and the other goal was their only shot on target, as Doughty's was at the Lane.

As you’ve pointed out, when Wilder came in we were 4 points from safety, we are now 7 points from safety.

Let’s be honest, he isn’t pulling up any trees.
Give him this month to work with the players and change the squad. Then it is fair to see what effect, if any, he has had.

It seems very clear to me that we have improved quite a lot since Wilder came in. Liverpool, Brentford, and Villa performances were all better than almost anything we saw under Hecky this season. Against Chelsea we had a decent first half but disappointing second half--but at least Wilder recognized that (and what caused it) in his post-match comments. I never got the impression Hecky knew what the problems were.

Perhaps not a popular opinion on here but the Luton performance was not as bad as many are saying. We were poor first half without them really dominating but much better second half. We deserved to win the game, in my opinion, and were undone by two fluky own goals. In context it was a horrendous result but the underlying performance was better than we would've seen under Hecky.

Didn't see the City game but it sounds like it was almost a repeat of our semi-final against them. Essentially a meaningless game for us and we can be pleased not to get a hiding.

We've played 5 at the back twice, both away games against teams in the top 4. Every other game has been played with 4 at the back with the exception of forty minutes against Luton.

I take your point but I think the one I was trying to make was that the play is narrow due to the absence of natural wide players and the wing backs do not compensate. Hecky per force carried on with these player/ system. Maybe it’s the players,but I find it all a bit dull.Perhaps Wilder will surprise and get in some exciting wide players in.

Good morning and a happy new year Blades.

I’ve been thinking about the effect Chris has had on the club since his return and reading quite a few Wilder threads with reasonable arguments from all sides.

From a sporting point of view many are saying Wilder will give us a tiny change of staying up and if/when we do go down it will be fighting, with self-respect and the desire to destroy the Championship next season.

One thing I think most of us can agree on is that the Prince is a shrewd business man and only sees the club as a business asset. As of now, we are for sale, so from a business point of view appointing Wilder must increase the ROI.

From a success aspect, its only numbers that matter, and so far, 6 games in we are worse off than we were with Hekky.

After Hekky’s last game: bottom of the league 4 points from 17th.

Now: bottom of the league 7 points from 17th and six less games to play.

So looking at the numbers, here are the stats for Chris for his entire managerial career from Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Wilder

View attachment 177020

And here are the stats since his return to the Blades 6 games ago.

View attachment 177021

I’m a great believer in the phrase ‘Lies, damned lies, and statistics’ so I’ll update the chart monthly and we can all interpret the numbers that best supports our personal agenda and argue to our hearts content.

UTB.
I can’t agree he’s a shrewd businessman, look at the showers of shite he’s tried to sell us to

we do belong in the top division

Strangely Derby, Sunderland, our four trotted friends, Leeds, Leicester and many other teams also believe the same, why do we 'belong' there whilst they don't.

The Luton game was very telling.

Turning around 1-0 to lead 2-1 to then lose 3-2 with us scoring 2 own goals was utter madness.

After that match I just thought sod it. Things never change in this embarrassing season.
Can’t wait to be back where we belong.
Hopefully this was a kick up the anus for the players. Only time will tell. Actually, the next league game will tell.

Strangely Derby, Sunderland, our four trotted friends, Leeds, Leicester and many other teams also believe the same, why do we 'belong' there whilst they don't.
Probably do but it's called relegation & promotion

Good morning and a happy new year Blades.

I’ve been thinking about the effect Chris has had on the club since his return and reading quite a few Wilder threads with reasonable arguments from all sides.

From a sporting point of view many are saying Wilder will give us a tiny change of staying up and if/when we do go down it will be fighting, with self-respect and the desire to destroy the Championship next season.

One thing I think most of us can agree on is that the Prince is a shrewd business man and only sees the club as a business asset. As of now, we are for sale, so from a business point of view appointing Wilder must increase the ROI.

From a success aspect, its only numbers that matter, and so far, 6 games in we are worse off than we were with Hekky.

After Hekky’s last game: bottom of the league 4 points from 17th.

Now: bottom of the league 7 points from 17th and six less games to play.

So looking at the numbers, here are the stats for Chris for his entire managerial career from Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Wilder

View attachment 177020

And here are the stats since his return to the Blades 6 games ago.

View attachment 177021

I’m a great believer in the phrase ‘Lies, damned lies, and statistics’ so I’ll update the chart monthly and we can all interpret the numbers that best supports our personal agenda and argue to our hearts content.

UTB.
Brought back too late to keep us up. But the football is so much better and we are much harder to beat.

The injuries have disappeared over night.

The players are commenting how it’s better so overall positive. Just we waited too long.

I'm not having that the Luton game was unlucky, United were very poor to get themselves into the positions where there errors could happen in the first place. Wilder said as much himself. “It will look a bit unlucky but it isn’t unlucky” to quote the man directly.

I dunno, meet the new boss, same as the old boss in my opinion.

Let’s let him cook this January and see.

Traore out and Brereton-Diaz in looks a smart move, gives us a second striker behind Archer or in a 4-3-3 a genuine left sided option.

Then you could either go McAtee on the right and get a midfielder in or go with a midfield three of:

Hamer-Souza-McAtee

Then add another potential goal threat in the attacking third.

Get a proper competition in as keeper and you have a decent basis if Norrington-Davies can get up to speed:

Johansson/Schmeichel
Baldock Anel Trusty/Robbo RND
Hamer Souza McAtee
New RF Archer Brereton-Diaz

McBurnie, Osula, Brewster, Jebbo on the bench.

Within the realms of what is realistic I’m ok with that. Just depends how good the keeper and other outfielder would be.

Need to do far more as an attacking force anyhow.

I'm not having that the Luton game was unlucky, United were very poor to get themselves into the positions where there errors could happen in the first place. Wilder said as much himself. “It will look a bit unlucky but it isn’t unlucky” to quote the man directly.

I dunno, meet the new boss, same as the old boss in my opinion.

What CW didn’t mention in that interview is the fact that , on taking off Hamer soon after we scored our second goal and replacing him with Slimane we very quickly lost the momentum we had built up to get us in the lead .

At that point , the former was having an excellent second half and playing a key role in our attacking threat . When the latter came on he made little or no contribution , putting us on the back foot and culminating in a typically half hearted attempt at a clearance which caused the second own goal .

So no , it wasn’t all down to bad luck . There were a number of factors involved and that decision was certainly one of them imo .

I can’t agree he’s a shrewd businessman, look at the showers of shite he’s tried to sell us to

Mmmmm, tricky one that, semantics? I would say, he is a shrewd business man because he did due diligence (or was that the PL) on the potential buyers and pulled out sharpish when they hadn’t got the money.

Certainly not an ethical business man because he would have, and will, sell us to any shower of shite who can afford it.

BTW, I have no issue with the Prince, the club is in a better position with him than without him, just calling it as I see it.

Damn you using facts to back you up ;)

I take your point but I think the one I was trying to make was that the play is narrow due to the absence of natural wide players and the wing backs do not compensate. Hecky per force carried on with these player/ system. Maybe it’s the players,but I find it all a bit dull.Perhaps Wilder will surprise and get in some exciting wide players in.

Can't blame Wilder for not having any wide players in. He joined us during a closed transfer window. He then signs a wide player in the first week of the window opening

Mmmmm, tricky one that, semantics? I would say, he is a shrewd business man because he did due diligence (or was that the PL) on the potential buyers and pulled out sharpish when they hadn’t got the money.

Certainly not an ethical business man because he would have, and will, sell us to any shower of shite who can afford it.

BTW, I have no issue with the Prince, the club is in a better position with him than without him, just calling it as I see it.
Fair points there.

I’d say that ethics is a rare commodity in the business world, so the prince isn’t on his own on that one.

There’s no denying some good things have happened since he was here, his hand was on the wheel for some good times. But it’s also on the wheel now it’s not so good. But he’s far from being the worst chairman ever in my opinion

Point 1.

Yes I tend to agree to some extent, if it was just about the money, the Prince would have found some way to leverage the tiny piece of land on Shoreham Street from ‘Biggest Blade’ and sold off the whole plot for tens of millions to a developer, leaving us with a mortgaged identikit stadium in Lightwood on land we don’t own. So he has shown some respect to our clubs history and heritage, but on the other hand, he has never spent a penny more than he has had to and usually gone for the cheaper option.

Point 2.

Strictly by the numbers not taking into account who we have to play and who we have lost to, I would rather be 4 points from safety with 24 to play than 7 points from safety with 18 to play.
As a building plot it’s worth much less than what he had to pay for the stadium/hotel so point one has never been an option

We've definitely improved performance wise.
As mentioned if not for some shocking individual errors we would probably have 5 points more than we have.
The only way we can cut those errors out is to A better coach (takes time) or B replace with better quality. Which looks like it could be happening. At least at GK position.

CW has proven his best work is done when he has his back to the wall. So. For me. He should stay next season and over see the much talked about squad rebuild.

4 games this month 2 league and 2 cup (Jan)

In the cup:

4-0 away win to League 2 Gillingham and 5-2 home defeat to Brighton

In the league:

2-2 draw at home to West Ham

3-2 defeat away to Crystal palace

Next month: (Feb)

Villa H, Luton A, Brighton H, Wolves A

Current position:

Bottom of the league, 9 points from safety with 16 to play

Here are the stats since wilders return (just the league)

January.png

Back
Top Bottom