How disconnected have you been/are you.

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

ShorehamRevolution

Reaction score
This is definitely the most disconnected from the club I’ve ever been since my first game 33 years ago. It’s not just about this shite season though it’s also the flat atmosphere/price of pints before during and after and football in general but Sheffield United are still 80% responsible for feeling disconnected with football.
All the TV money and we’re still in financial difficulties and that’s mainly to it being squandered on useless signings for the top level. The 0-8 to Newcastle confirmed relegation for me back in October or whenever it was, I persevered but I haven’t been to the lane since the start of the year. Call me fickle or a part timer but it hurts me to see lacklustre performances.
I’ll be there on the first game in August though. The last time I felt this disconnected was under Adkin’s and the relegation from the championship season.

What’s other peoples periods of discontent with United? I’m presuming the late 70’s and periods in the 80’s were no picnic. I was only a kid in the mid 90’s so I was still falling in love but I can imagine as an adult between 94-97 was a difficult period. 99-02 wasn’t great.

I think I’m at a stage where I’m just going to become a glory fan !!

I'd say I'm going to be even more disconnected since we've had a few seasons in the Premier league now and it's made no difference if not worse than if we stayed in the championship. Apart from playing the pigs next season and maybe Leeds can't really see myself looking out for the scores even let alone attending games anymore.

I was gutted leaving after the 2nd or 3rd game of the season and my eldest insists that he’d have been wanting to go still all season. I know my dad and brother in law have picked and chosen games but I was always the one who was keen and probably would have been gone.

I’d certainly have renewed my ST if we’d been in the UK.

The club and the way it’s run are shit at the moment but it’s the ‘Blades way’ so it’s hardly a shock, we can’t have nice things and it will always be the same.

Just a bit pissed off. Losing to Lincoln warned us what was on the way, so many absolute thrashings to swallow and hardly seeing us win any games at all has warn me down.

However, season ticket is already renewed, when the final whistle goes though I'll be watching who leaves and who comes in, waiting for the fixture release and then complain about the lack of stripes on the back of the new shirt before walking up those kop steps once again and seeing that sight once again - then I'm hooked again!

I’ve not watched an away game since Villa, and before that it was West Ham. Rarely bother watching the goals either unless we’ve got a decent result. Left early for the games we’ve got battered at home. Left before half time for Arsenal, and before this season think I’ve left about 3 games before full time in my life, and I’ve been going for 20+ years.

Quite frankly it’s absolutely no fun to watch us get battered week in week out. I don’t revel in talking about how little I’ve been engaged this season, and try to be a happy clapper generally and not slag the team off, but it’s very, very hard to stay interested in this. Renewed and not massively positive for next season but think it’ll be better than this.

Inept refs is starting to get to me. The whole VAR farce just isn’t for me. It’s a clear foul on BBD (2 weeks running now) nothing given. Stone wall penalty against Newcastle not given.

I don’t even care as they don’t make a difference to the result it’s just the fact of being systematically cheated is beyond me.

I’ve not watched an away game since Villa, and before that it was West Ham. Rarely bother watching the goals either unless we’ve got a decent result. Left early for the games we’ve got battered at home. Left before half time for Arsenal, and before this season think I’ve left about 3 games before full time in my life, and I’ve been going for 20+ years.

Quite frankly it’s absolutely no fun to watch us get battered week in week out. I don’t revel in talking about how little I’ve been engaged this season, and try to be a happy clapper generally and not slag the team off, but it’s very, very hard to stay interested in this. Renewed and not massively positive for next season but think it’ll be better than this.
100% agree. Almost word for word what I'd have written.

I've renewed for next season, but I don't think I've been to half of the home games this season. I only went to Man Utd because I hadn't been to an away game this season. Normally I do 6-10 away games.

It's been rubbish hasn't it.

This is definitely the most disconnected from the club I’ve ever been since my first game 33 years ago. It’s not just about this shite season though it’s also the flat atmosphere/price of pints before during and after and football in general but Sheffield United are still 80% responsible for feeling disconnected with football.
All the TV money and we’re still in financial difficulties and that’s mainly to it being squandered on useless signings for the top level. The 0-8 to Newcastle confirmed relegation for me back in October or whenever it was, I persevered but I haven’t been to the lane since the start of the year. Call me fickle or a part timer but it hurts me to see lacklustre performances.
I’ll be there on the first game in August though. The last time I felt this disconnected was under Adkin’s and the relegation from the championship season.

What’s other peoples periods of discontent with United? I’m presuming the late 70’s and periods in the 80’s were no picnic. I was only a kid in the mid 90’s so I was still falling in love but I can imagine as an adult between 94-97 was a difficult period. 99-02 wasn’t great.

Just to add to this, I used to religiously listen to all the pods and watch the vlogs, they’re not even releasing them as much as they used to anymore and I don’t blame them, have a break lads. I’m sure they’ll all do a breakdown of how shit we’ve been episode and to be honest I might not even listen to them !

I’ve been watching since I was a kid (late seventies) so I know the levels of shite the older ones have been through, but seen some fantastic times too.

Honestly, I have never felt so disconnected from the club as I do now.

I actually think Wilders got a bigger rebuild job than he had in League 1.

After Adkins left we were still quite an optimistic bunch, fan base had dwindled somewhat but we still had expectation of promotion every year.

Now I think most fans have no expectation other than hoping we don’t get battered week in week out. We’ve let in 100 goals & half the squad are out of contract, I actually don’t think I’ve ever felt this embarrassed or disconnected to a team wearing our colours.

I still have marginal hope that Wilder will turn it around. If we had a better owner I’d say get rid and start again though.

Yeah I've never felt more disconnected.

I dragged myself there yesterday for only the fourth time since Christmas, because I had in my head that it was a game that meant something against those lot. I left when their third went in not really giving a fuck.

During the Adkins season I was just frustrated and embarrassed as it seemed like we'd be lingering in League One forever. The Covid season was a horrible comedown from the Wilder glory years, but you could kind of overlook it due to the circumstances. This season however, I've just fallen out of love with United and the state of modern football in general.

I've still renewed my ST though, as if I've got some form of extreme Stockholm Syndrome.

Walked out the Villa game at 5. Didn’t go back until Burnley and that’s my season over.

Never enjoyed a season less than this one and never disliked so many players as much.

I’ve renewed my season ticket as I always will but this seasons just been shite and has totally sucked the enjoyment out of football and match days in general for me.

It's been a total shitshow of a season, infact an embarrassment of epic proportions.

Dare I say it that things can only get better ?

I'm not so sure at the moment 😕

Conceding on average nearly 3 goals a game over a season would wear down any fan

Just a bit pissed off. Losing to Lincoln warned us what was on the way, so many absolute thrashings to swallow and hardly seeing us win any games at all has warn me down.

However, season ticket is already renewed, when the final whistle goes though I'll be watching who leaves and who comes in, waiting for the fixture release and then complain about the lack of stripes on the back of the new shirt before walking up those kop steps once again and seeing that sight once again - then I'm hooked again!
Ffs , no stripes - again !

Bastards

Not really disconnected at all. I was really excited about going to the match yesterday. Really up for it and had the feeling I've always had first half.
Came out more pissed off with the outcome as I've ever been. But that is connection. I didn't go in, or come out not caring.

Totally sick of the team, the manager, the owner, the club and football in general, everything about it is shit at the moment and i fear next season will be as bad, if not worse.

Also Wednesday have a good manager, are on the up and are going to be better than us next season which is just depressing

Inept refs is starting to get to me. The whole VAR farce just isn’t for me. It’s a clear foul on BBD (2 weeks running now) nothing given. Stone wall penalty against Newcastle not given.

I don’t even care as they don’t make a difference to the result it’s just the fact of being systematically cheated is beyond me.

It's the blatant cheating in favour of the big teams that gets to me, look at the penalties arsenal and man city got this weekend, absolute joke

I think it's the pointlessness of what you're competing for. Promotion to the Premier League is no great prize as the gulf between the Championship and PL just becomes ever wider. Premier League football is obnoxious; from the clubs, their fans, the officials and the pundits.

Quite frankly, the sooner half of the teams fuck off to play in some Middle Eastern superleague with their chums from Europe, the better. They don't give a shit about their "customers" who actually go week-in, week-out. We're viewed with anything from indifference to contempt and for Sheffield United to compete, they would have to rip out whatever heart the club has to become the same clinical corporate entity.

Nah... Fuck that. Give us a decade of being Championship also-rans, but get the heart back.

I’m feeling more and more disconnected from football in general. The money, VAR, fifa, FA etc. For me the professional game now is not what you fall in love with as a kid.

That said Blades have done their best this season to turn us off. Selling best players, buying players in a somewhat blind lucky dip style, terrible performances with no heart and just generally running us like a league 1 club.

I can’t remember a season that I’ve enjoyed less but more worryingly Im starting not to care. Hoping that will change come the start of next season

BBD barely got touched in fairness. I'd probably describe it as a dive, which didn't help the defending, but the defending was still terrible.

This is probably the worst i have felt supporting United.
I haven't been to the last two home games despite having a season ticket, Infact not sure I will go again this season.
Like the opening post call me fickle but I can assure I am not having supported United since 1976 and not missing my first home match for probably the first 30 years, I have seen some right rubbish over the years but still went every home game.
This season has been totally different I think I have wanted the season to end since March, infact if the Premiership would allow it I would have gladly forfeited every game 3-0 from March.
We have been a total embarrassment this season it really has been like we just won a raffle too play in the Premiership.
Every side we have played including the poor ones like Burnley, Fulham, Forest have all had players who move the ball around quicker and are more athletic and have more pace than us..
There also dosent seem any hope for the future either especially if you listen to some of the supposedly ITK posters on here, no Reg Brealey riding over the hill this time.
The next few months will tell us a lot about what next season is going to be like, I hope it gives us some optimism.

Tried to buy kids and me a season ticket last summer but they said they'd "sold out"

However, each game we have watched there has been hundreds of empty seats, I decided not to pay 100 quid for the 3 of us to watch relegation football, however they want to see a PL game so I've succumbed to spurs tickets.

They want a season ticket next year, remains to be seen if any will be available for members though.

Very disconnected. Poor season, points deduction next, may lose our best players all 2 of them. However blades my first love, we’ll be back I think we’re slowly learning hence the changes behind the scene, we’ll come good one day keep the faith.

Never felt so disconnected in all my 60 odd years of following United it really has been a chore to go to games this season, but it is not just United I have lost some of the enthusiasm I had for the game of football in general. I watched Ipswich fans going mental after winning promotion yesterday and my thoughts were the poor buggers don't know what is going to hit them next season, we were the same a year previous but we left an exciting and competitive Championship for a league where money rules, where every goal for a promoted team gets scrutinised for 3-4 minutes by VAR, where every 50/50 challenge results in a free kick to the opposition. Spend hundreds of millions like Burnley and the outcome is just the same because clubs in the Premier League have 25 players good enough to start games so after a hour when they get tired they bring on top players while we fill the ranks with kids no wonder they voted to have 7 substitutes to pick from. If that isn't enough we have the annual tinkering with the rules of the game because some big gob manager like Klopp throws a hissy fit when not everything goes for his team.
I do wonder what is the point of promotion to the Premier league I find the style of football played is dull and boring hardly any physical contact is allowed against the top six teams and to me it is more like a basketball game keep the ball and wait for a mistake or break away. Linesmen are just about redundant and now even to ball boys can't give the ball back and to top it all off they change the rules of the FA cup the greatest cup competition in the world to favour the top six again who only want to concentrate on playing in Europe.
I haven't renewed my season ticket I don't see the point, it takes me over a hour to get into Sheffield for games to watch the absolute shite that Prince A has served up for us, not worth the time and effort for me.

Last edited:

I could have written that word for word, except for the fact I've continued to go to home games. I haven't been to an away game since before Christmas though, when I'd normally have gone to every single one.

It's not just this season. The last four seasons just haven't felt right at all. Alarm bells rang for me when we got promoted last season and there was hardly any buzz around the club (compared with every other promotion). I'm honestly not sure I can care about Championship football any more. What's the point? What are we actually playing to achieve? Another pointless flirt with the Premier League relegation zone?

COVID killed it for me because I can't shake the feeling that we were robbed of something special, and nothing will EVER beat that ride and what would probably have come at the end of it. There was only probably the February to May 2020 period out of my whole 30 years of supporting Sheffield United where that pandemic could have had such an impact on us as a club, and sod's law it landed right then.

We also happen to be a similar age, which probably also plays a part. It's definitely the worst 4 years as a Blade for me, in terms of my level of enjoyment and connection to the club (2012-13 to 2015-16 runs it close, to be fair), but some of that is probably because I'm not a young 'un any more and Sheffield United aren't the only important thing in my life.

Back
Top Bottom