How bad is Slimane?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Maybe not an eye catching performance but he did his job tonight and worked hard and not much came down the Villa left. Looked very comfortable when on the ball and it was a shame that he was taken off just as we started to actually want the ball and keep it. Will be good to see him again against Luton where we will push on
Like Larouci I think his substitution was done because they are not match fit having been ignored by Hecky.

Hi Stegosaurus here

He seems a decent player. No idea why Hecky refused to play him?

Another like Larrouci we have to get up to fitness whilst playing in the premiership

Would anyone keep him next season?

I would, I like him and think the Championship will suit him.
I would however be looking to play him in a more advanced role like when he came on vs Brentford. He's not got the mobility of Arblaster and Hamer.

Of all the bargain basement punts we made last summer he's the only one that showed a molecule of promise, and we are struggling for bodies as it is.
If he's happy to fight it out and shows the right mentality then why not?

I suspect I'm off it here and he'll be on his bike, but he's one of the only disasters of last season I'd look to persist with.

EDIT: Not at all that I'm conflicted with my username

I would however be looking to play him in a more advanced role like when he came on vs Brentford. He's not got the mobility of Arblaster and Hamer.

Of all the bargain basement punts we made last summer he's the only one that showed a molecule of promise, and we are struggling for bodies as it is.

I suspect I'm off it here and he'll be on his bike, but he's one of the only disasters of last season I'd look to persist with.

I don’t think we’ve seen enough to make any solid judgements, apart from (like most of the squad) he’s not good enough for the Premier League.

I don’t think we’ve seen enough to make any solid judgements, apart from (like most of the squad) he’s not good enough for the Premier League.
Likewise, just a couple of promising glimpses and a couple of disappearing acts. In terms of bodies it makes sense to keep him around to me.

Would have thought he should have a stab at the Championship. Looks like he has ability on the ball at least.

But if we find a buyer, it would hardly be a shock - was clearly unfancied by both managers last season.

He played in a development match towards the end of the season, albeit National League standard at best, and partnered Peck in midfield. They had a good partnership. Peck would put in the tackles and win the ball and give it to Slimane, who would intelligently and positively distribute it without the usual endless safety first back passes. He was very calm and composed in his play and his positional play was excellent. He was head and shoulders better than others around him. Granted the level they were playing at was nowhere near Championship standard, but he stood out in that match.

I think Adam Davies played too and he also made it look very easy. Calm, composed, good control of his area and communication, good distribution and he looked very solid and reliable.

Slimane was always a player who I thought might be one who turned out fine in the Championship. The next list from the club will tell us what Wilder thinks and I have a feeling that Slimane isn't part of his plans. He's been an unused sub enough times.

I'd say yes, keep him around and have a look at him in preseason.

Hard to judge anyone on last season and really not seen enough of him . Maybe he's one of those many players who excel at championship level but will never make a top flight player. I think there's little value in moving him on immediately, perhaps it's a wait and see .

I thought when I had seen him he looked good on the ball but I do remember wishing he wouldn't shoot ever again as his attempts were often wayward!

I get the feeling there is something else going on here though as he has been used so little first by Hecky and then Wilder.

Do we have an option?…he has to get a chance….you never know…

Hard to judge anyone on last season and really not seen enough of him . Maybe he's one of those many players who excel at championship level but will never make a top flight player. I think there's little value in moving him on immediately, perhaps it's a wait and see .
Didn't we only pay £1mil for him? If that's the case then other than wages he's not top of the list for selling. Same with Grbic, at £2mil he's not going to be a deal breaker for us this summer. Getting Anel, Traore and Souza off the books for a moderate return is the priority, as much as I don't ever want to see Garbage between the sticks ever again.

Didn't we only pay £1mil for him? If that's the case then other than wages he's not top of the list for selling. Same with Grbic, at £2mil he's not going to be a deal breaker for us this summer. Getting Anel, Traore and Souza off the books for a moderate return is the priority, as much as I don't ever want to see Garbage between the sticks ever again.

Add hamer to that list think it's been rumoured he has a 22m release close, that should help towards the apparent financial issues.

Add hamer to that list think it's been rumoured he has a 22m release close, that should help towards the apparent financial issues.
It wouldn't be the worst thing to sell him. His fee is already covered by the Ndiaye sale, so we're pretty much at net zero with him. If we did get £22mil then that's a healthy wad of cash for the summer and good profit after an awful season, even if we do get it over 3 seasons. He's too good for the Championship and has nothing left to prove at this level. We'd be holding his career back. I have no problems with players leaving for the right reasons and for the right price. Hamer's goals and assists last season were very good for the team he was playing for and he contributed to the lion's share of them, 12 contributions from the 35 goals we scored. He'd be a steal for any newly promoted club, or an established lower half team.

I've posted elsewhere that I'd be more worried about what Wilder would do with £22mil. Buy 8 average players or buy 3-4 quality players with potential resale value in a season or two's time. I'd rather see quality over quantity, and not sign loads of average players out of panic and desperation.

We need to stop viewing player sales as evil and view them like Brentford and Brighton do, a means to strengthen and push on. The sales only annoy me when the money dissappears, which in fairness the Ndiaye and Berge money never did, as they paid for Hamer, Souza (okay, bad example), and Archer.

It wouldn't be the worst thing to sell him. His fee is already covered by the Ndiaye sale, so we're pretty much at net zero with him. If we did get £22mil then that's a healthy wad of cash for the summer and good profit after an awful season, even if we do get it over 3 seasons. He's too good for the Championship and has nothing left to prove at this level. We'd be holding his career back. I have no problems with players leaving for the right reasons and for the right price. Hamer's goals and assists last season were very good for the team he was playing for and he contributed to the lion's share of them, 12 contributions from the 35 goals we scored. He'd be a steal for any newly promoted club, or an established lower half team.

I've posted elsewhere that I'd be more worried about what Wilder would do with £22mil. Buy 8 average players or buy 3-4 quality players with potential resale value in a season or two's time. I'd rather see quality over quantity, and not sign loads of average players out of panic and desperation.

We need to stop viewing player sales as evil and view them like Brentford and Brighton do, a means to strengthen and push on. The sales only annoy me when the money dissappears, which in fairness the Ndiaye and Berge money never did, as they paid for Hamer, Souza (okay, bad example), and Archer.
Make sure we look into players injury history too before paying over the odds, ala Brewster, Mcburnie

Coventry got him for 1.5m and developed him, it's signings like that we need not the peaked version we thought we got with the likes of Souza.

I'd be more worried about what Wilder would do with £22mil. Buy 8 average players or buy 3-4 quality players with potential resale value in a season or two's time.
Probably whinge about not having enough financial backing to buy one terrible £24m player.

Personally I would cut my losses with him. He doesn’t seem athletic enough. Would imagine pace of championship too much for him.

We experimented and it didn’t quite pay out. Would rather have someone we know is good enough for a promotion push.

I think Slimane showed a lot of promise when he played. Intelligent, skillful player. Wilder will need to get him fit and putting in the level of effort he expects, but I think he would be a good player in the Championship and at the very least from the bench. With that said, if Wilder doesn't think he adds the right chemistry or he wants to leave then I don't think he has to stay.

If I was his agent I would be telling him to knuckle down and grab that shirt, this season could be career defining if he can light up the Championship. I don't think he has enough on tape to move to anything other than relegation fodder in one of the Big 5 leagues, the championship is a great league to make his name as an attacking talent.

A third of the price of souza, better than him on the ball from what I saw and less pointy. Better turning circle aswell. I'd keep him and get him up to speed this pre season. I think he's got something about him.

Fk him off

If he can’t or hasn’t ’knuckled down’ as a professional footballer yet- get rid . We can’t afford passengers - ffs

Fk him off

If he can’t or hasn’t ’knuckled down’ as a professional footballer yet- get rid . We can’t afford passengers - ffs
How do you know he hasn’t?

Played 100 games for Brondby, and has 30 caps at 23 - maybe there is a player in there. But Hecky & Wilder have barely used him.
From what I saw at AFCON, Tunisia use him as an attacking midfielder with very little defensive responsibility. We have better players (Hamer) to fill that role. Having said that I would be inclined to keep him as backup.

It's strange how he was so bit part last season, when we were struggling for options and from the bench.

We saw glimpses and so it's worth having another look at this level, but he also looked a bit erratic with his touch, as though he was rushing things at PL level - not to forget that he also looked poor at tracking his man, tracking back - another key reason why I suspect we saw less of him.

How do you know he hasn’t?

Wrong season for him, should’ve loaned him to Ligue 1 in Jan, with an eye on this season coming. He’s only 22 as well. Definitely someone we should persist with.

You can tell instinctively who’s got the capabilities, I think he has. He just needs to get used to how things work over here. The best thing about the Championship is that it’s a competitive league, that can improve you as a player. It’s not the PL, but it’s perfect for prospects who can improve. McAtee, Iliman etc.

Back
Top Bottom