Higdon at Oldham

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Relax Blades..it's just the footballing Gods taking the piss yet again...nowt we can do about until he returns.. :O

The change of scenery at Boundary Park may have done him some good. Injected some fresh enthusiasm and energy into him.

thing is if your not played you cant score
Oldhams given him 2 full games and hes produced

No they haven't. If we're dealing in FACTS he's had 3 full games and scored 2 goals, not 2.
Higdon is absolutely shite.

Have you seen us play? Higdon is so far down the list of priorities he's at the 'couldn't give a shit' end of the scale.

Believe me, yesterday we needed someone like Higdon. When the teams first came out I thought, "bloody hell, a team that doesn't tower over us for once!", but they were solidly built and knocked us off the ball time after time, I would think Higdon in the right frame of mind would have given then some back.

On Saturday, we needed somebody like Ikpeazu, he's a big unit, knocking our defenders about in a way I can't imagine Higdon ever does, plus he's quick, not an accusation you could ever level at Higo.

He's only 20 and very raw, but on the basis of only game admittedly, I think he could develop into a really good Wilfried Bony type player.

Without all this claptrap, it may be very interesting to look at his performances in December - he has obviously started well but we will have to wait and see !
An interesting point is that he is scoring at this level - yet everybodies' favourite Italian Stallion Diego struggled to make an impact in the 4th Division last season !
As regards Higdon - let's look at it in December - But by then we may only have the play offs to go for !!!

My favourite statistical co-incidence from last season:

Michael Higdon: 13 league games, 2 goals
Steven Davies: 13 league games, 2 goals

Clough waited all season for Davies...and he reproduced exactly what Higdon had done.

thats a good average,
over a season extrapilated out it would be 12 a season
people were calling Murphy the best player we ever had scoring that many

You’ve had it pointed out to you n previous threads that you’re talking absolute bollocks when you say this but continue to repeat it. You really are the lendegoey of this site. Again though, I’ll repeat it for you:-

1. Murphy is a winger. 12 goals is a good return for a winger. Not so good for a striker (not too bad though if they are also contributing a lot with their overall game and creating chances for others)

2. Nobody was calling Murphy the best player we ever had- NOBODY AT ALL. Saying it over and over does not make it true. Some were saying he was our current best player when he was sold but your loose grasp of the English language coupled with a fetish for straw men leads you to say this over and over again. Nobody will ever believe it.

Onto Higdon. I’ve always said he can score goals at this level if he plays regularly and gets decent service. The problem is that his overall contribution is so poor that it’s like playing with 10 men a lot of the time. Gone are the days that a striker can afford to just lazily hang around the box waiting for tap ins. A team looking for promotion needs more than that from it’s main striker. Sharp can also score goals but offers so much more to the team than Higdon. Give me Sharp any day.

Clough waited all season for Davies...and he reproduced exactly what Higdon had done.
I thought his build up play was better.
But this is the key issue.
Our football under Clough was low scoring (Swindon excepted) and fucking terrible to watch.
Clearly Adkins' brief included a desire to improve that, which he's trying to do. But he's still got the workmanlike players who lack creativity. And a sieve like defence.
We had to play tight under Clough because the defence fell apart when exposed. We knew this last season and it's been proven this season.
It's starting to look like Clough has done a Blackwell on us, left us with a team of uninspiring players with no creativity whilst the board expect his replacement to get us up playing more attractive football but won't provide funds to buy sufficient players to enable him to do so, because they're already paying out for 30 odd players who aren't what we need.

Davies offered far more than Higdon outside of the goals. I liked Davies and wouldn't have minded us signing him but I think Sammon is also OK in terms of the work he does for the team. Higdon doesn't do anything like the work for the team that those 2 do. For me, he is only effective if the team is geared towards creating chances for him and he's not good enough to justify that at the top of league 1. Like I say, Sharp is a far more complete forward.

And many wanted Davies to sign permanently too

You’ve had it pointed out to you n previous threads that you’re talking absolute bollocks when you say this but continue to repeat it. You really are the lendegoey of this site. Again though, I’ll repeat it for you:-

1. Murphy is a winger. 12 goals is a good return for a winger. Not so good for a striker (not too bad though if they are also contributing a lot with their overall game and creating chances for others)

2. Nobody was calling Murphy the best player we ever had- NOBODY AT ALL. Saying it over and over does not make it true. Some were saying he was our current best player when he was sold but your loose grasp of the English language coupled with a fetish for straw men leads you to say this over and over again. Nobody will ever believe it.

Onto Higdon. I’ve always said he can score goals at this level if he plays regularly and gets decent service. The problem is that his overall contribution is so poor that it’s like playing with 10 men a lot of the time. Gone are the days that a striker can afford to just lazily hang around the box waiting for tap ins. A team looking for promotion needs more than that from it’s main striker. Sharp can also score goals but offers so much more to the team than Higdon. Give me Sharp any day.

and I keep repeating give players games and they will score

and theres 2 threads on this page where its written we have sold our best player, when complaining about losing, now who would that be

and theres 2 threads on this page where its written we have sold our best player, when complaining about losing, now who would that be

Except the players we've given games to that didn't score.

I refuse to believe that you’re as stupid as you’re pretending to be. I’m sure you can read to some degree and know the difference between “best player” and “best player ever”. It’s not an unreasonable argument to say Murphy was our best player when he was sold (personally I’d put him 2nd behind Brayford but given Brayford has been injured…). Similar arguments could be reasonably made about Maguire when he was sold, McDonald, Quinn, Lowton, Blackman, the Kyles, Beattie etc. It doesn’t mean any of them were better than TC or Deano in their prime. I defy you to find anyone who thinks that.

“give players time and they will score”- Agree to some extent. Of course it depends on the player. Higdon has a good goal-scoring record throughout his career though and I don’t doubt his ability to score goals (with the right type of service) as I said in my previous post, but for me, in terms of his all round contribution to the team, he offers less than Sharp, Sammon, Done, McNulty or Adams up front so has been rightly been moved on to a club that doesn’t have plenty of better options at their disposal.

Good luck to him. I hope he helps Oldham take points off teams in and around the top six (I don’t see them getting into the mix). That’s probably the best way he can serve us at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom