Heckingbottom is not and never was up to this job

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

SuperBobbyHatton

Reaction score
I’m going to nail my colours to the mast and just say it…heckingbottom is the luckiest bloke alive. He was in the right place at the right time and fell onto the job of managing us because he was there and wouldn’t rock the boat.
He was barely competent in the championship but had 2 or 3 players, when he actually got round to playing them, who could turn a match round. He persisted with Norwood and fleck even when they were playing consistently badly until he had no choice but to play Macatee and Doyle and things suddenly got better and we started playing well and winning more, who could have known!! I would say, I know some people will disagree, it was in spite of Heckingbottom and not because of him.

The wholesale training slaughter of the players cannot be just luck, something is being done wrong and it’s followed him in clubs throughout his career. Even with this presumably high stress training the players are blowing out of their arses after 60 minutes! What on earth is happening in training? History shows us, he won’t change anything until we are down to having only the under 21’s left. He can’t change because he knows nothing else and is also seemingly the most stubborn man this side of the Pennines.

He is also tactically inept, playing the long ball to mcburnie is fair enough when he’s on the pitch but for fucks sake, don’t carry on with it when he’s sat on the fucking bench and a 5 foot 7 player has replaced him!

I don’t even think anything would be different if we hadn’t lost the 2 we lost, one was patchy to say the least and the other irreplaceable but he did get the targets he wanted who are turning out to be not performing well under him.

He is in no way up to managing in the premier league and it’s just gobsmacking that he still has support because he’s done nothing right since the season started, has no positive effect on results and seems unable to make a decision tactically until it’s too late. I mean fetching Osborne on against Man U… Slimane must be fucking paralysed from the knees down to not be getting a game. That was honestly the substitution that broke me and proved we need rid.
This is my opinion, yours may be different.

Fair enough. I was firmly in the Hecky In club as he deserved a bite at the cherry. However, I just saw his Motd interview following Saturday and he looks to have lost all confidence. And for the first time I'm beginning to think he is out of his depth. We were better with the flat back four, it's been evident for some time the wing backs system isn't working. He needs to be more proactive with change, needs to be more aggressive with tactics. With the players at his disposal I believe there should be more points on the board. It's taken too long for Trusty to make his debut. And now have Slimane sat in the bench. Has to be better option than Norwood at this level. Norwood is a decent squad player. We're not competitive.

Fair enough. I was firmly in the Hecky In club as he deserved a bite at the cherry. However, I just saw his Motd interview following Saturday and he looks to have lost all confidence. And for the first time I'm beginning to think he is out of his depth. We were better with the flat back four, it's been evident for some time the wing backs system isn't working. He needs to be more proactive with change, needs to be more aggressive with tactics. With the players at his disposal I believe there should be more points on the board. It's taken too long for Trusty to make his debut. And now have Slimane sat in the bench. Has to be better option than Norwood at this level. Norwood is a decent squad player. We're not competitive.
Trusty couldn't get in due to Robinson being our best defender (and still is) and playing in the Trusty position . If he had played Trusty then he would have had to drop our best defender or play Trusty in a position that he doesn't naturally play which means unsettling the rest of the back 5 . Its ...not....hard

There’s plenty of fair criticisms to make of Heckingbottom and I think they’ve all been pointed out a thousand times on here and we’re all familiar with the points.

However, with injuries taken into account, can anyone really argue there’s a starting 11 in the league with less quality than ours? That’s not a dig at the players, I genuinely believe they’re playing with full effort but the gap in talent is clear to see.

People will say well they played well under Wilder but multiple key parts of that team aren’t there anymore and the ones who are have aged and I’d argue, declined significantly.

I’m not saying this to be negative, I’ll be there at Arsenal on Saturday and at Brighton after that. But we have to be realistic about what Hecky has to work with.

He got us promoted with 91 points.

Yes, he inherited a very strong squad but plenty of managers take good squads and run them into the ground--Slavisa Jokanovic comes to mind. We were on our knees when Hecky came in two years ago and he got us into the play offs and then got us promoted, all the while dealing with a financial crisis playing out in the background. I think it's fair to question the style of football we played last season but "barely competent" is going too far. We owe him a lot.

Have his limitations been shown up this season? Yeah, for me they probably have and I wouldn't be gutted to see him replaced. But I really don't get the rewriting of history and outpouring of bile against the guy.

Yes, he inherited a very strong squad but plenty of managers take good squads and run them into the ground--Slavisa Jokanovic comes to mind. We were on our knees when Hecky came in two years ago and he got us into the play offs and then got us promoted, all the while dealing with a financial crisis playing out in the background. I think it's fair to question the style of football we played last season but "barely competent" is going too far. We owe him a lot.

Have his limitations been shown up this season. Yeah, for me they probably have and I wouldn't be gutted to see him replaced. But I really don't get the rewriting of history and outpouring of bile against the guy.
He’s not up to this job, but as I said people may not agree with me. It’s hardly bile, it’s just how I see it.

Have his limitations been shown up this season? Yeah, for me they probably have and I wouldn't be gutted to see him replaced. But I really don't get the rewriting of history and outpouring of bile against the guy.
Yeah but we didn’t get to the FA Cup final.

Bravo

You read posts from the likes of Sheffsteel and hold your head in your hands

I’m going to nail my colours to the mast and just say it…heckingbottom is the luckiest bloke alive. He was in the right place at the right time and fell onto the job of managing us because he was there and wouldn’t rock the boat.
He was barely competent in the championship but had 2 or 3 players, when he actually got round to playing them, who could turn a match round. He persisted with Norwood and fleck even when they were playing consistently badly until he had no choice but to play Macatee and Doyle and things suddenly got better and we started playing well and winning more, who could have known!! I would say, I know some people will disagree, it was in spite of Heckingbottom and not because of him.

The wholesale training slaughter of the players cannot be just luck, something is being done wrong and it’s followed him in clubs throughout his career. Even with this presumably high stress training the players are blowing out of their arses after 60 minutes! What on earth is happening in training? History shows us, he won’t change anything until we are down to having only the under 21’s left. He can’t change because he knows nothing else and is also seemingly the most stubborn man this side of the Pennines.

He is also tactically inept, playing the long ball to mcburnie is fair enough when he’s on the pitch but for fucks sake, don’t carry on with it when he’s sat on the fucking bench and a 5 foot 7 player has replaced him!

I don’t even think anything would be different if we hadn’t lost the 2 we lost, one was patchy to say the least and the other irreplaceable but he did get the targets he wanted who are turning out to be not performing well under him.

He is in no way up to managing in the premier league and it’s just gobsmacking that he still has support because he’s done nothing right since the season started, has no positive effect on results and seems unable to make a decision tactically until it’s too late. I mean fetching Osborne on against Man U… Slimane must be fucking paralysed from the knees down to not be getting a game. That was honestly the substitution that broke me and proved we need rid.

And repeat. And repeat. And repeat. Same same same. Thread after thread. And on and on and on.

Fair play mate, at last someone has finally started a Hecky thread. Wonderful insight.

Trusty couldn't get in due to Robinson being our best defender (and still is) and playing in the Trusty position . If he had played Trusty then he would have had to drop our best defender or play Trusty in a position that he doesn't naturally play which means unsettling the rest of the back 5 . Its ...not....hard
Again, we were shipping goals and he didn’t change until he was forced into a back 4 which did look stronger with Trusty in.

And repeat. And repeat. And repeat. Same same same. Thread after thread. And on and on and on.
Because it’s an important subject which matters and which I have given my opinion on in my own thread. Seems a lot on here only have opinions on how many threads there should be per subject. Start your own thread with a poll.

I despair when I read threads like this.

Wilder dumped us and took his £4m pay-off.

Jokanavic came in and was appalling.

Heckingbottom took over a squad with no confidence, saved us and got us to the play-offs and a FA Cup semi final where we lost narrowly to the best team in the World.

Then he won us automatic promotion.

But now because we’re struggling with a weak squad decimated with injuries, a squad weakened at the very last minute through no fault of his own due to treacherous players..some want rid to have him replaced with who???

Wilder? Do me a favour, he’s burnt hIs bridges.

Get rid of Heckingbottom, then what?

Who is this saviour who’s going to turn it all around?

Jokanovic wanted to change how we played but wasn't backed in the transfer market. We were good one game and bad the next. I think we needed more flexibility than playing our 352. I appreciate what Hecky has done for us. There are things he is not good at like being too slow to make substitutions in time and reading the game. With the squad and injuries we have we are not going to play intricate passing movements with ball on the floor all of the time.

What I would like to see is Hecky being more inventive. Changing to a flat back four may help.
But we are still very predictable. Playing as we are we are not good enough. Bringing something a bit different in how we set up may get a result here and there. There is too much conservatism in how we look at players. Ossie Ardiles and Lothar Matheus were excellent midfielders but both were played as sweepers in the latter part of their careers. Maybe Anel when he is back or Trusty could be tried as defensive midfielders. We don't have anything to lose by being bold.

I despair when I read threads like this.

Wilder dumped us and took his £4m pay-off.

Jokanavic came in and was appalling.

Heckingbottom took over a squad with no confidence, saved us and got us to the play-offs and a FA Cup semi final where we lost narrowly to the best team in the World.

Then he won us automatic promotion.

But now because we’re struggling with a weak squad decimated with injuries, a squad weakened at the very last minute through no fault of his own due to treacherous players..some want rid to have him replaced with who???

Wilder? Do me a favour, he’s burnt hIs bridges.

Get rid of Heckingbottom, then what?

Who is this saviour who’s going to turn it all around?

Nobody would do any better with the players we have available. Its simple starting numerous threads about sacking Hecky, but be realistic, who would actually agree to come to the club, that could get a tune out of this squad? (Don’t say Wilder, serious answers only)

We’re going down, get over it, once you learn to accept that you will feel so much better about life.

We’re going down, to come back stronger, Boom 💥

Nobody would do any better with the players we have available. Its simple starting numerous threads about sacking Hecky, but be realistic, who would actually agree to come to the club, that could get a tune out of this squad? (Don’t say Wilder, serious answers only)

We’re going down, get over it, once you learn to accept that you will feel so much better about life.

We’re going down, to come back stronger, Boom 💥
When did we become a fan base that accepts being the worst side in PL history ?

We want to get better but when it gets tough we say we’ll never mind let’s try again in 2 years.

Neither Egan nor Anel were performing. Basham should not have been starting either. Trusty was fine in a back two with Robinson on Saturday. 'Unsettling the rest of the back 5' should not have been a problem when they were shipping goals left right and centre.

Barely competent = 16 points clear of 3rd

He’s been poor this season and he’ll likely lose his job. Pretending the team were promoted in spite of him is frankly disrespectful

Back
Top Bottom