Hands up if you criticised NC's team selection

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Obviously, we won yesterday so it's a lot easier to justify the many changes.

However, I immediately understood the changes pre-game. In terms of prioritisation, the Spurs second-leg was top (chance of Wembley etc.). Next Tuesday is second priority (continue Cup run, possible highly-lucrative fifth-round tie) and yesterday was the lowest priority. Why? Because despite claims among some, we have very little chance of getting into the top two (autos). However, failing to get a play-off place would be unthinkable. We've had a terrible run and yet are again in sixth place.

Whereas defeat in the Spurs/Preston games means it's over, we've proved that simply trundling along will be good enough for a play-off place. Hence NC resting key players for Tuesday's one-off.

EDIT: Just seen mattbianco1 post (#27) which is basically what I've said. :)

Give over.

I posted in response to the question posed in the title of this thread.

If the result trumps all other considerations, Clough must be an all-seeing genius every time we win and a complete idiot every time we lose.

I can't see where I attempted "to somehow pretend we lost." But we clearly could have lost and we were reliant, as you say, on their poor finishing. And you talk about "our good defending" but some of it, especially first half, was very poor.

Every team that ever wins "could have lost". It never ceases to amaze me that other team's poor finishing amounts to our "good fortune" and "riding our luck" but our own is just 'shite'. What bollocks. If Swindon or any other team can't hit the target that's absolutely nothing to do with luck. The goals don't move.

It's the Bladesfans' Way.

Not being awarded a blatant penalty at 1-0 is quite fortunate

Every team that ever wins "could have lost". It never ceases to amaze me that other team's poor finishing amounts to our "good fortune" and "riding our luck" but our own is just 'shite'. What bollocks. If Swindon or any other team can't hit the target that's absolutely nothing to do with luck. The goals don't move.

It's the Bladesfans' Way.

Funnily enough, I unreservedly accept that our poor finishing is the other side's good fortune. And I never call it "shite." It's not a word I use.

Sorry Fulwood, we were not fortunate to win. Their poor finishing and our good defending is nothing to do with luck. What specific good fortune did we have? What do you say about Ben Davies' free-kick?

We were as fortunate and as lucky to win yesterday as we were equally unfortunate and unlucky to lose against MK Plastics - that's football.

The word lucky is used loosely and can be replaced with the word fortunate then - don't really see what the problem is, but fortunate or lucky is what we were.

UTB

We were as fortunate and as lucky to win yesterday as we were equally unfortunate and unlucky to lose against MK Plastics - that's football.

The word lucky is used loosely and can be replaced with the word fortunate then - don't really see what the problem is, but fortunate or lucky is what we were.

UTB

When? How?

The team selection wasm't justified by the win. The first goal came after we made two changes (Murph and Scrougs on for Higdon and Wallace) and the second goal came afetr Baxter had replaced Coults.

The initial team selection produced a first half where we were under the cosh. We were lucky not to be losing with ten men at half time.

Everyone expected and understood the need for changes - but most seem to agree 10 was far too many.

I thought we struggled 1st half and could quite easily have gone behind. But we were excellent 2nd half. Bringing on Murphy and Scougall swung the game and they were the best two players on the pitch.

The early enforced substitution of Murphy for Higdon was the turning point. We were far more positive after that. We do look good when we start to run at defenders and need to do that from the start.

***hands up***

I was baffled by the selection yesterday and had Swindon scored early there would be more questions asked of Clough. Big gamble in a big match for us. Taking Higdon off for Murphy early on chaged the game.

As I was going I was particularly delighted not having to watch Doyle and Baxter :)
And dismayed that the team was filled by ExDerby journeymen who should not be at the club and not the likes of Khan and Diego.
Every Cup game since Plymouth has been more important than any individual league game with the top two a pipe dream.
Get off your arses and support them on Tuesday!

***hands up***

I was baffled by the selection yesterday and had Swindon scored early there would be more questions asked of Clough. Big gamble in a big match for us. Taking Higdon off for Murphy early on chaged the game.

Bringing Murph on at Preston changed it as well.

I was a bit surprised but probably enjoyed it as a game more than any this season in the league

If we were prioritising Preston at home in the FA Cup ahead of Swindon at home in the league, that's worrying.

OK the top two is almost certainly beyond us but we should be trying to finish as high as possible. If we finish third or fourth, don't we have home advantage in the second leg of the play off? And who knows, if two of Bristol City, Swindon and MK have a run of bad results, we could possibly be close to 2nd place by the end of April.

Back
Top Bottom