Outgoing? Hamer

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

15 million is three or four top class Championship players if (and it's a big if) you know what to do with it. The Hamer signing was a weird one due to his age and the likelihood he'd be on the market this summer due to our likely relegation. We were always unlikely to make a profit.

It was a like for like swap with Berge I think focussing on current ability (not potential). From a clusterfuck of a summer, this is where a molecule of credit needs to be applied. We clearly had a plan in that if the scenario where we sold Berge arose, we would sign Hamer, and we did so pretty darn rapidly by our standards.

15 million is three or four top class Championship players if (and it's a big if) you know what to do with it. The Hamer signing was a weird one due to his age and the likelihood he'd be on the market this summer due to our likely relegation. We were always unlikely to make a profit.
Can you get a top class Championship player for £5m ?
I want to believe you , but we paid £17m for McBurnie & £15m for Hamer.
And looking at the impact made by Trusty , Tiny Traore & Slimane ?
Is it just us who recruit so badly ?

Can you get a top class Championship player for £5m ?
I want to believe you , but we paid £17m for McBurnie & £15m for Hamer.
And looking at the impact made by Trusty , Tiny Traore & Slimane ?
Is it just us who recruit so badly ?

Probably not directly from the Championship. Capable of playing in that league, at a high level, I believe so

Last edited:
It was a like for like swap with Berge I think focussing on current ability (not potential). From a clusterfuck of a summer, this is where a molecule of credit needs to be applied. We clearly had a plan in that if the scenario where we sold Berge arose, we would sign Hamer, and we did so pretty darn rapidly by our standards.

It doesn't fit into the sell to buy ethos at all imo. The chance of realising a significant ROI were slim to none. A very strange signing on the face of it. I think 99% of the Kop could've signed him.

looks like we are thinking of doing what we did last year and sell our best players before kick off and then moan that the manager is to blame for crap results .

Unpopular decision maybe but I wouldnt be against selling Hamer. The lad has quality but blows hot and cold (although seems to have become more consistent as the season has gone on). We're skint and I'd rather sell to balance the books than risk any sort of further punishment for not paying our debts. Money could have been saved by not signing Grbic and Holgate who have contributed nothing. I'd much rather keep Arblaster as that is our future.

looks like we are thinking of doing what we did last year and sell our best players before kick off and then moan that the manager is to blame for crap results .
By last season do you mean last 30 years? We have always had to sell our best players. I cant remember any Chairman in my time either McCabe, McDonald or Brealey turning down offers for our best players. We're not Man City. Get used to it!

Unpopular decision maybe but I wouldnt be against selling Hamer. The lad has quality but blows hot and cold (although seems to have become more consistent as the season has gone on). We're skint and I'd rather sell to balance the books than risk any sort of further punishment for not paying our debts. Money could have been saved by not signing Grbic and Holgate who have contributed nothing. I'd much rather keep Arblaster as that is our future.
Totally agree.

At the risk of being labelled bonkers, MGW went to Forest for £40m and had less PL experience, so that's the benchmark I'd be looking at..

It doesn't fit into the sell to buy ethos at all imo. The chance of realising a significant ROI were slim to none. A very strange signing on the face of it. I think 99% of the Kop could've signed him.

We stepped outside the general ethos, and bought someone with current, rather than potential, ability. Hamer was widely regarded as one of the best midfielders in the Championship, and we signed him to fill the Berge void.

The thinking was likely that even if he bombed out, you'd be able to recover a minimum of £10m or so. Likely case of him doing OK and us going down, you probably get back what you pay for him. If he absolutely shines, then we either stay up, or we go down and make money on him.

As such, I'd argue the downside risk was pretty minimal, and we sign a very good player.

the grbic and holgate signings were pointless and a waste of money neither were going to keep us up i would love to see arblaster and hamer stay but think if bids of 20m come in both will be sold

the grbic and holgate signings were pointless and a waste of money neither were going to keep us up i would love to see arblaster and hamer stay but think if bids of 20m come in both will be sold
So was the BBD signing too. But Grbic is the real disaster because we signed him permanently.

So was the BBD signing too. But Grbic is the real disaster because we signed him permanently.
yeah your probably right about bbd but wilder seemed hopeful that we could stay up when we signed him and to be fair hes been a success at the lane signing grbic was the stupidest signing and holgate wasnt good enough to get in the southampton side in the championship another very strange addition personally never rated the guy

Totally agree.

At the risk of being labelled bonkers, MGW went to Forest for £40m and had less PL experience, so that's the benchmark I'd be looking at..
Re your MGW comparison , I think he was younger and more of a pacy goalscorer with his feet & head , so he'd command more than Hamer.
But if any PL club is interested in Hamer , I agree that we should look for over £20m.

Probably not directly from the Championship. Capable of playing in that league, at a high level, I believe so
So are you thinking of the foreign market or rising stars from L1 ?
Last summer's recruitment from abroad (Souza, Traore, Slimane) appears underwhelming.
Do you think we could do better ?
I'm fairly certain Wilder will want British & Irish players - taking account of his personality - easier for him to establish a culture in which the team performs better than the sum of its parts.

How much do we have to recoup?
Worst case scenario is;
£14m for Archer
£10m for Anel
£6m for Souza.
And loads of wages from big earners like Norwood, McBurnie, Bash and maybe even Baldock.

Why sell one of the 2 good players we have?

We might end up with an O’Brien or a McNair but sell Hamer and creativity don’t come cheap.

Hoping we’re not getting into Jamal Campbell-Rice territory. And we’ve had worse than him - a lot worse

Worst case scenario is;
£14m for Archer
£10m for Anel
£6m for Souza.
And loads of wages from big earners like Norwood, McBurnie, Bash and maybe even Baldock.

You must be a new supporter of Sheffield United. It won’t take you long.

I wouldn't begrudge the lad a move. He at least has improved as the season has gone on and worked hard to get fit. 15 million is a joke though for a proven premier league midfielder.
He's not a proven premier league midfielder, he's played there for 1 season in his career and finished bottom and got relegated

Worst case scenario is;
£14m for Archer
£10m for Anel
£6m for Souza.

16m worst case scenario for Anel and Souza?! That would be bloody miraculous !

By last season do you mean last 30 years? We have always had to sell our best players. I cant remember any Chairman in my time either McCabe, McDonald or Brealey turning down offers for our best players. We're not Man City. Get used to it!
Get used to it? How old are you? My first trip to the lane was in the late 50s mate there is nothing what is happening now that i have not seen before and trying to inform me that we have always done it as if I don't know really made me laugh . Just because it has happened in the past many times is the reason we don't get where we want to be ,in fact it is the very reason we don't get where we want to be but you seem to think because of it being repeated over and over again it should be acceptable . Well if you don't mind that's fair enough ,I would like a bit more ambition my self no matter how many times I have seen it .

Get used to it? How old are you? My first trip to the lane was in the late 50s mate there is nothing what is happening now that i have not seen before and trying to inform me that we have always done it as if I don't know really made me laugh . Just because it has happened in the past many times is the reason we don't get where we want to be ,in fact it is the very reason we don't get where we want to be but you seem to think because of it being repeated over and over again it should be acceptable . Well if you don't mind that's fair enough ,I would like a bit more ambition my self no matter how many times I have seen it .
Wouldn’t we all! All fans of the 92 teams in the football league want their club to spend money and not sell their best players. That isn’t realistic. The fact is if you’re not Man City then you need to accept losing your best players is part of football. Do you not think Coventry fans were gutted when they sold him to us? What makes us special that we can keep him happy in the championship when Coventry (a team with a bigger history) couldn’t!?

Correct me if I'm wrong..

Did Bettis not go on the radio and say fans need to understand we sold players in the last year of their contract and replaced them with players on multi-year contracts...

Well selling Hamer after 1 season for the same price we paid for him, absolutely makes a mockery of that idealism.

Basically if his relegation release clause is the same as his purchase price.. then alot like Archer... Hamer becomes basically a glorified loan.

16m worst case scenario for Anel and Souza?! That would be bloody miraculous !
I think/hope the Anel figure might suprise people still with him being an international.
As for Souza, £6m is nothing in today's market. We should get that just from him playing in the top levels of Spain and England...
If they haven't watched him 😅

Wouldn’t we all! All fans of the 92 teams in the football league want their club to spend money and not sell their best players. That isn’t realistic. The fact is if you’re not Man City then you need to accept losing your best players is part of football. Do you not think Coventry fans were gutted when they sold him to us? What makes us special that we can keep him happy in the championship when Coventry (a team with a bigger history) couldn’t!?
Coventry have not had 3 years of prem money and two years of parachute money in the last 6 years like we have and their recent history is littered with financial troubles . Not to long ago they did not even have a ground so comparing us to them is a mismatch mate .

What this bigger history crap
They have won 1 fa cup the end

Back
Top Bottom