Get Behind The Team

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Why would you celebrate the achievement of players/a manager you neither rate, support or would pay money to watch?

Players you constantly berate.

That's just perverse..
I'd be celebrating the achievement of my football club, regardless of my personal dislike of the manager and players.

I'd be celebrating the achievement of my football club, regardless of my personal dislike of the manager and players.

LoL...but not enough to support that manager and those players the following season in a higher league after achieving their primary goal...as I say, a perverse outlook for a 'supporter'

I will when we've got one worth getting behind.

Another misguided blame the disloyal 20,000 fans who have cheered their demotion from the PL to the Championship, cheered them from the Championship to L1 and cheered them for the past 5 seasons, cheered the sale of our best players as well as through the Tevez affair and Chedgate. Reight disloyal morons.

LoL...but not enough to support that manager those players the following season in a higher league...as I say, a perverse outlook for a 'supporter'
Haven't we gone through all this on another thread?

I think I answered all of your a million and one questions in there.

Don't understand.

All negative publicity criticism of the players is well and truly deserved , and in a perverse sort of way , we have benefitted from the shit and maras . . Adkins has used this as a way of motivating the players , who had lost it and we're drifting .

Adkins does seem to have used this on the players as a positive . Sadly we are just not good enough for automatic , but still have more than a fighting chance of a play off spot. The character of the players who will not be here next season can either make or break us .

Let's hope they have some pride in the shirt and there job , as a pro footballer.

UTB

Haven't we gone through all this on another thread?

I think I answered all of your a million and one questions in there.

I'm not asking you anything...stop rooerin.
I'm simply reiterating the facts...

Perhaps you should ask why this team has had to come from behind so many times?

Because the other one has invariably seized the initiative, whilst our merry band of Billy Big Bollocks types have been content to plod along in first gear until going a goal or three down gets their attention.

So the insipid, gutless, and shit players are only insipid, gutless, and shit till they go behind at which point they go into the phone box and emerge inspired, gifted, and shit hot?

Don't buy it at all.

There's plenty needs addressing at the club. This accusation is miles wide of the mark imo.

All negative publicity criticism of the players is well and truly deserved , and in a perverse sort of way , we have benefitted from the shit and maras . . Adkins has used this as a way of motivating the players , who had lost it and we're drifting .

Adkins does seem to have used this on the players as a positive . Sadly we are just not good enough for automatic , but still have more than a fighting chance of a play off spot. The character of the players who will not be here next season can either make or break us .

Let's hope they have some pride in the shirt and there job , as a pro footballer.

UTB

Again imo miles wide of the mark.

We lost games earlier in the season in part because of the game plan, which in turn was in part because Adkins didn't know the limits or limitations of the players. We tried to play one way. It wasn't working. We persisted. Finally we accepted our limitations and the losses began to recede. (We also occasionally had very bad luck - though we've won some with very good luck since.) We might be able to turn them into wins (though possibly not tomorrow). Who knows?

To me it's just total nonsense that the players aren't trying. For reasons stated above.

I can't see any evidence at all that Adkins has used negativity to motivate the players - to the extent that it has been mentioned, the exact opposite is true: it demotivates the players.

The players have on a number of occasions shown a pride in the shirt that the "We're fucking shit" fans, for instance, haven't.

The players have my support.

"We're fucking shit". Pride.

So the insipid, gutless, and shit players are only insipid, gutless, and shit till they go behind at which point they go into the phone box and emerge inspired, gifted, and shit hot

At which point they realise for the umpteenth time that the other team aren't a walkover and start doing what it says on the job description.

If all you can offer is , "Well they've almost fucked it up badly many times, but through sheer strength of character they've managed to not fuck up quite as badly" then I think it speaks volumes about where this club is at right now.

At which point they realise for the umpteenth time that the other team aren't a walkover and start doing what it says on the job description.

If all you can offer is , "Well they've almost fucked it up badly many times, but through sheer strength of character they've managed to not fuck up quite as badly" then I think it speaks volumes about where this club is at right now.

The issue was not where the club is* but whether the players are insipid, gutless, and shite.

I don't see how an insipid, gutless, and shite player is going to be inspired by being a goal or goals down. Why would they care?

*That's not really up for debate - though I do think long term prospects could be very good if we hold our nerve.

Again imo miles wide of the mark.

We lost games earlier in the season in part because of the game plan, which in turn was in part because Adkins didn't know the limits or limitations of the players. We tried to play one way. It wasn't working. We persisted. Finally we accepted our limitations and the losses began to recede. (We also occasionally had very bad luck - though we've won some with very good luck since.) We might be able to turn them into wins (though possibly not tomorrow). Who knows?

To me it's just total nonsense that the players aren't trying. For reasons stated above.

I can't see any evidence at all that Adkins has used negativity to motivate the players - to the extent that it has been mentioned, the exact opposite is true: it demotivates the players.

The players have on a number of occasions shown a pride in the shirt that the "We're fucking shit" fans, for instance, haven't.

The players have my support.

"We're fucking shit". Pride.

Again, you focus on a section of idiots amongst the fans and ignore the vast bulk of everyone else to suit your agenda.

That same vast bulk who would tell you that this team are wasters, far more concerned with their extra curricular activities than doing what they are paid for. It is blindingly obvious.

To suggest that this bunch of incumbants have played like lions whilst the support has been crap might just be the most laughable thing you've posted to date.

Progress of sorts.

And tomorrow it will be revealed to the unbelievers how good Conor Sammon really is. ;)

The-Hills-Have-Hungry-Eyes.jpg

Thinking about it, I imagine Adkins will play Done to chase down their back four again...so this revelation will have to wait another week - at least.

And tomorrow it will be revealed to the unbelievers how good Conor Sammon really is. ;)

The-Hills-Have-Hungry-Eyes.jpg

Thinking about it, I imagine Adkins will play Done to chase down their back four again...so this revelation will have to wait another week - at least.

I think the Biblical Revelation will come to pass first myself. But that's me, ever the cynic.

Thought For The Day - A Person Who Is Appreciated Will Always Do More Than Is Expected - I hope so 15 wins from the last 18 might just do it

I don't see how an insipid, gutless, and shite player is going to be inspired by being a goal or goals down. Why would they care?

It seems to me that there are quite a few players who have hidden, have not wanted the ball and have got rid of it as quickly and as ultra-safely as they possibly can (the passing sideways syndrome - no-one ahead making space to take a pass, no-one wanting to risk a pass). Some of them preferred the treatment table to playing (still cannot believe Crock Wallace claims to have been fit all of that time before he signed for Shrewsbury). I dare say one or two think they are too good for this League (they aren't) . Others content to sit and draw their not inconsiderable wages and not even make the bench.

And let's be clear - this didn't start with Adkins. It was happening under Clough in his last six months. Players looking demoralised, players looking scared of the ball, not enough team understanding, not enough effort and chasing any cause for the shirt.

Adkins tried to play positive football and had to abandon it because the players (and they must know this is the reason) aren't good enough to play that way. Let's face it Adkins must have had a mountain to climb sorting out the dressing room and finding any system that can grind out results with the players he has got stuck with. I'm guessing that is why he really wants Hammond ( for his off the pitch influence as much as on the pitch). Now a whole load of them know that they have till their time in the Cull and they will be gone unless they really perform.

Adkins says it himself in his interview - we aren't the best team so our choice is to roll over and accept defeat or we give it a go until its mathematically not possible to go up. There are signs Adkins is starting to get things sorted over the last few weeks and I would love to know what his private reaction to the transfer screw-up was. And he is right when he says that the only people capable of delivering results are the players we have on our books. Let's hope they can muster some pride, respect for our shirt and use their fears as a positive spur to make a collective fist of the remains of this season.

If they do they will get the support of the crowd. If they don't they won't - simple as.

I for one hope we dont give them a 3 goal start again im sure nige will have said dont lose this one reckon a draw u t b

I'd love that - if we then scored 4 :)

Now that would be a reyt game on a drab, wet and windy February afternoon ;)

Either that or they score a 4th and then it's off early to the Tap for a pint of Jaipur before catching the train back to Leeds.

Hmmmmm ;)

It would be if I'd said it. But I didn't. :)

"Insipid, gutless, and shite." They're not.
They are. As others have pointed out, were 9th. The players have been a huge disappointment and it would take a monumental change in results and performances for the rest of this season to change that.

Sugar coat the recent 'form' how you like and block those that disagree, that's your perogative of course but:

- the board have failed to address any and all recruitment issues. We still have an oversized squad, something which they wanted in Jan last year
- the manager, despite his pedigree and despite his predecessor getting better performances out of some players, has made many of the same mistakes and additional mistakes, having realised 5 months into the season, he started to play the way we needed to get results. It's worked partially.
- the players have come back from the jaws of defeat and salvaged something, but let's not forget that these are players mostly from higher divisions and with experience of promotions etc. These players have been a disgrace this season and last. Poorly disciplined on and off the pitch, they have not learnt the lessons from last season and have put together a run of 2-3 games (wins and draws) in a season of 28 league games!

This has been the most disappointing season since we came down and even talk of promotion chances is amazing. The early (majority of the season to date) part of the season was diabolical. There are no excuses for how poorly we have been.

If we turn things around it will be down to being what's expected, minimum standards rather than hailing the Heroes of the lane.

As for getting behind the players, they will be backed in the manner their effort and performance deserves. There are no hiding places on our Desso pitch. Past players of the Bassett and Warnock eras found this, if the players, coaches, scouts and management want the success of those two eras then it's on the pitch where they need to demonstrate it.

Currently this side are backed by 18-20,000 fans every home game. They have not deserved that level of support. Many will not see have home backing like that for the rest of their careers after this season

It seems to me that there are quite a few players who have hidden, have not wanted the ball and have got rid of it as quickly and as ultra-safely as they possibly can (the passing sideways syndrome - no-one ahead making space to take a pass, no-one wanting to risk a pass)

I don't buy that passing sideways is some kind of evil syndrome. It's just modern football: keep the ball - work an opening. Takes patience and time but it's how pretty much everyone plays. You can play it forwards if you want but unless you've really worked the opposition chances are you'll lose possession. A recipe for getting a few people out of their seats for a couple of seconds and going on to lose most of your games over the season.

Some of them preferred the treatment table to playing (still cannot believe Crock Wallace claims to have been fit all of that time before he signed for Shrewsbury).

To me Wallace is a basket case and doesn't demonstrate anything.

I dare say one or two think they are too good for this League (they aren't) .

Can't see how this is anything other than made up. A couple are too good (Billy and the Beard) but have committed to us.

Players looking demoralised, players looking scared of the ball.

As has been pointed out endless times with endless teams abuse from the crowd (even on a small scale) just makes that worse.

not enough effort and chasing any cause for the shirt.

Simply not true. The players have chased endless lost causes. Causes often lost to a vocal section of the fans. "We're fucking shit."

Adkins tried to play positive football and had to abandon it because the players (and they must know this is the reason) aren't good enough to play that way.

If anything was at fault it was the system - this is not a criticism - I'm glad he tried it. It didn't work. Fine. We move on.

his private reaction to the transfer screw-up was.

Presumes it was a screw-up. We didn't panic buy. We didn't sell. We offloaded some (but not enough) players from a big squad. We didn't recruit. The End of the World is Nigh?

use their fears as a positive spur

When does this ever happen? Istm abuse makes the abuser feel better - and that's about it. It's demotivational and entirely self-centred. Abusing the players works against the interests of the team and the club.

simple as

I have a hard time believing any post that asserts anything is simple as (or concludes with end of). If it was so simple there'd be a Ladybird Book of Sheffield United.

There are signs Adkins is starting to get things sorted over the last few weeks

He is. And I think it's a long term project. I think we can make play-offs this season. It would clearly be very poor if we didn't. And we might have a decent chance.

If we look like failing next season, then that would be a real concern, as I can't see a way forward without even more money after that.

Got to comment on Tyler Durden and William Henry Foulkes positions above.

I agree with WHF that players that are appreciated might (might) play better or more to the point feel better playing in front of a positive crowd. At the moment the players must stand in the tunnel dreading every failed pass or move being met with groans (very little booing these days).

However, they are professionals facing other professionals in a competitive game of football and should be able to channel every emotion into winning, if not they're in the wrong job. They don't appear (from reports) to have much trouble putting a lot into enjoying the off field benefits, parting after losing and driving big cars. I'm no footballer (far from it) but when I've got roped into playing for fun the competitive switch clicks on with a bang!

Given at least half the players in any one match either totally fail to do this or do it in one half and not the others demonstrates either an attitude, fitness, skill or attitude issue (or in supporter jargon insipid and shite).

Now, for the paying fan the question is how far do you tolerate players demonstrating these attributes and how long do you keep going and being positive before expressing your concerns? For me dropping down the leagues was painful but the hope, nay expectation was we would bounce straight back (Wolves/Wigan esk). When that failed to happen and we were condemned to a second term in this shite hole of a league of villages and morris dancing communities I found my breaking point and have stayed there for a further 3 seasons.

Once that point is reached you get emotional, angry etc and start verbalising those feelings. William Henry Foulkes and Tyler Durden obviously have different tolerance levels and WHF still finds this level palatable whereas TD like me has reached his rubicon.

This was apparent at the last home game when Swindon equalised and usually quiet fans around me started ranting and others tellin them to shurrup and sitdarn and all manor of angry outbursts followed.

The fact that some fans seem to think it's our fault for a team devoid of tallent and or passion and the manager constantly has to tell us to get behind the team demonstrates we (the team/club) are lacking. Bet the Gillingham and Walsall managers don't have to encourage their fans just like Warnock didn't have to encourage us as we moved on the PL.

Truth is being at this level and staying at this level is to most self respecting Blades fan unacceptable and we will not get enthused to praise the team until they start pulling their fingers out and we are storming up this shite league. No calls to arms will make me feel we are doing the best the club and players are capable of.

I know we been average this year but now is not the time to berate the team.I do think the team needed a lift in terms of a player or two but we ain't got em so we move on.Maybe make Brayford Captain again?
Just ask yourself this do you work better when encouraged/praised or when your told how shit you are?As a team we are good enough but if the doubt sets in suddenly we won't be !

I don't ask people to pay £25+ to come and watch me at work for 90 mins. More "fans fault" rubbish. It works both ways.

It's just modern football: keep the ball - work an opening.

Of course it is - but how do you create an opening - either by beating a player with skill or by movement. There are developments in the game of course but pass and move are basics that will never go away.We build from the back (possibly because neither of our goalkeepers have good distribution) and have players who don't possess the skill to beat players and who have to rely on movement ahead of them. Murphy has gone. Ahead of them too many times they see statues. Contrast Sharp who is constantly moving with some of the others - particularly earlier this season. It doesn't help that, Sharp excepted, we have forwards who are poor at holding the ball up. So the sideways passing goes on and on with little progression because nothing is opening up. Brayford's return has been a huge bonus since he returned and with the current set-up most of our creativity is going down the right - Basham has the touch of an elephant when it comes to passing. Once the right has been shut down we end up resorting to the hope that the one player (Baxter) who can pass a ball (despite concerns about other aspects of his game, his general attitude and off -pitch behaviour) can produce a "worldy" pass.

Wallace is a basket case and doesn't demonstrate anything.

I agree Wallace is a basket case who should never have got past the medical - if he had one. I have consistently said this since we signed him. But this is the player that Sheffield United Football Club made the mistake of signing and who claimed he had been fit for months when he moved to Shrewsbury. If he was it begs an awful lot of questions.

Can't see how this is anything other than made up.

Of course there is an element of conjecture and perception and, unless you are privy to the SUFC dressing room, so are everyone's opinions, including yours.

If anything was at fault it was the system - this is not a criticism - I'm glad he tried it. It didn't work. Fine. We move on.

Adkins said he had to change from a more positive style of football to find one that worked results wise in terms of the players he had and acknowledged that we aren't the best team - in other words the players aren't good enough to play that system and he has had to sacrifice creativity to shore up the weak defence to grind out results.

Presumes it was a screw-up. We didn't panic buy. We didn't sell. We offloaded some (but not enough) players from a big squad. We didn't recruit. The End of the World is Nigh?

I did say private reaction. The end of the world is nigh ? No, but Sheffield United is a football club I care about and want to see do well. I hope that isn't a problem. They do say that sarcasm is the lowest form of wit but I do have to have to point out that I can listen to and read interviews as well as anyone and ask "Did Adkin's tell you all this over a tin of lager on a bench in Endcliffe Park?".

When does this ever happen? Istm abuse makes the abuser feel better - and that's about it. It's demotivational and entirely self-centred. Abusing the players works against the interests of the team and the club.

What a narrow definition of fears you choose to use. I was referring to the collective fears that human beings have but in their case that they won't get a new contract with SUFC, that their future in the game is on a downward slope, that they will be made to look an idiot, that they will lose concentration or make a mistake etc. To simply focus on, and use the loaded term, "abuse" is not balanced and is symptomatic of a perspective that does not see any criticism as valid or constructive. And yes I know there are some idiot abusers in the crowd who get off on it, but not 20,000 of them. If it gets to the point where the majority or a significant minority of the support feel it necessary to join in singing "You're not fit to wear the shirt" at a game in which we were truly atrocious then that could equally be seen as a valid judgement on what they are paying good money to see. Interestingly our performances have improved since that happened. I hope, as I always do, that the supporters get behind the team and help the players, but they can't do it for them. The players have a responsibility also. The primary one.

I have a hard time believing any post that asserts anything is simple as (or concludes with end of). If it was so simple there'd be a Ladybird Book of Sheffield United.

Bully for you. Personally I have a low tolerance of literacy snobs (particularly those who use text speak because they are too lazy to type the words) and who use their snobbery to obfuscate, undermine or deflect an argument.

The players have chased endless lost causes

Some have and more so lately but equally I can recall Freeman frequently being caught well out of position and ambling back or switching off or losing the player he was supposed to be marking at set pieces leading to us conceding, Done very recently just giving upon chasing a ball that was eminently gettable, Baxter and Reed standing around like little boys lost whilst we were over-run in midfield, Scougall hiding behind players so he doesn't have to take a pass, McNulty waiting for someone to stick something on a plate for him and not working the defence. There are very few in the side who I could say clearly give everything - Brayford, Sharp, Basham, Hammond. How many of our players ask for the ball ? How many of them show for it ? How many switch off or lose concentration (especially when defending) ?

Of course it is - but how do you create an opening - either by beating a player with skill or by movement. There are developments in the game of course but pass and move are basics that will never go away.We build from the back (possibly because neither of our goalkeepers have good distribution) and have players who don't possess the skill to beat players and who have to rely on movement ahead of them. Murphy has gone. Ahead of them too many times they see statues. Contrast Sharp who is constantly moving with some of the others - particularly earlier this season. It doesn't help that, Sharp excepted, we have forwards who are poor at holding the ball up. So the sideways passing goes on and on with little progression because nothing is opening up. Brayford's return has been a huge bonus since he returned and with the current set-up most of our creativity is going down the right - Basham has the touch of an elephant when it comes to passing. Once the right has been shut down we end up resorting to the hope that the one player (Baxter) who can pass a ball (despite concerns about other aspects of his game, his general attitude and off -pitch behaviour) can produce a "worldy" pass.

I agree Wallace is a basket case who should never have got past the medical - if he had one. I have consistently said this since we signed him. But this is the player that Sheffield United Football Club made the mistake of signing and who claimed he had been fit for months when he moved to Shrewsbury. If he was it begs an awful lot of questions.

Of course there is an element of conjecture and perception and, unless you are privy to the SUFC dressing room, so are everyone's opinions, including yours.

Adkins said he had to change from a more positive style of football to find one that worked results wise in terms of the players he had and acknowledged that we aren't the best team - in other words the players aren't good enough to play that system and he has had to sacrifice creativity to shore up the weak defence to grind out results.

I did say private reaction. The end of the world is nigh ? No, but Sheffield United is a football club I care about and want to see do well. I hope that isn't a problem. They do say that sarcasm is the lowest form of wit but I do have to have to point out that I can listen to and read interviews as well as anyone and ask "Did Adkin's tell you all this over a tin of lager on a bench in Endcliffe Park?".

What a narrow definition of fears you choose to use. I was referring to the collective fears that human beings have but in their case that they won't get a new contract with SUFC, that their future in the game is on a downward slope, that they will be made to look an idiot, that they will lose concentration or make a mistake etc. To simply focus on, and use the loaded term, "abuse" is not balanced and is symptomatic of a perspective that does not see any criticism as valid or constructive. And yes I know there are some idiot abusers in the crowd who get off on it, but not 20,000 of them. If it gets to the point where the majority or a significant minority of the support feel it necessary to join in singing "You're not fit to wear the shirt" at a game in which we were truly atrocious then that could equally be seen as a valid judgement on what they are paying good money to see. Interestingly our performances have improved since that happened. I hope, as I always do, that the supporters get behind the team and help the players, but they can't do it for them. The players have a responsibility also. The primary one.

Bully for you. Personally I have a low tolerance of literacy snobs (particularly those who use text speak because they are too lazy to type the words) and who use their snobbery to obfuscate, undermine or deflect an argument.

Some have and more so lately but equally I can recall Freeman frequently being caught well out of position and ambling back or switching off or losing the player he was supposed to be marking at set pieces leading to us conceding, Done very recently just giving upon chasing a ball that was eminently gettable, Baxter and Reed standing around like little boys lost whilst we were over-run in midfield, Scougall hiding behind players so he doesn't have to take a pass, McNulty waiting for someone to stick something on a plate for him and not working the defence. There are very few in the side who I could say clearly give everything - Brayford, Sharp, Basham, Hammond. How many of our players ask for the ball ? How many of them show for it ? How many switch off or lose concentration (especially when defending) ?

This is descending into semantics and dancing angels.

The bit about made up is accepted. Then followed up with more made up stuff about Adkins' private reactions.

The bit about "symptomatic of" is evidently untrue. There are plenty of things that need improving. I think it's best to focus on what actually needs fixing as opposed to misreading the situation, scapegoating, making up problems, chasing ghosts, etc etc, all of which make the job of the club and the team harder.

Some criticism is invalid does not imply all criticism is invalid.

For me Shrewsbury was a structural (and experience esp Reed) problem not an attitude problem. For me when you get hammered it's often the tactics that are at fault. And if you want criticism, as I said at the time for me second half tactics were all wrong.

Literacy snob is more hopelessly wide of the mark than Sammon from a yard out. I'll take this as a reference to Ladybirds but it was their analytical depth, not their literary merits that was the issue. End of. Get rid. Simple.

Lazy? Again with the made up. I enjoy this use of language and fwiw it fascinates me that some phrases are so common they can be abbreviated - it's an insight for me into the underlying structure (algebra even) of thought and language in the internet age and "arena". And btw for me it's Usenet speak and predates texting.

Anyway this is all way too personal.

I'm off to deeply contemplate TS Eliot* - and in particular the Hollow Men.

The horror. The horror.

Didn't say it was the fans fault but being well supported is no guarantee for success.By all means if we don't ge promotion (AGAIN) then we have the right to be f****d off but if your that unhappy get to Birmingham tomorrow or just don't go.I don't clap at every game I go to but for f**k sake anybody would think we were Grimsby - no offence intended

In a few years time we'll probably be in the same league as Grimsby.

Just like a few years ago we never thought we'd be in the same league as Burton Albion, now they've overtaken us.

Back
Top Bottom