General blades Negativity corner.

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Overthehills

Give Quiche A Chance....
Reaction score
Yet another post pops up of pretty much the same negative tone, albeit with a little re-hash.

I mean come on.... We all know that our business operations in the summer are going to annoy and upset a good few, likewise we all know that there are a few plausable questions popping up... But what are we achieving in countless topics of a negative nature.

We are Sheffield United....the very word meaning joined together via common goals, purpose and feelings!!

Until anything significant changes in terms of ownership and investment, we are still very much the same small fish in the big pond that we are been for decades. We are the underdogs by every definition of the term! We are instantly expected by the neutrals to fail! We are the unfashionable neighbour of the dirty team from West Yorkshire.....

But who gives a toss!

Until anything changes we carry on as we have always done so. Whilst I don't expect any recent disappointments to be simply forgotten, I don't feel that we should let negativity get in the way of supporting the lads.

When we are all together and singing from the same hymn sheet, I don't think that there is a better set of fans in this country!

Whilst nobody expects us to do owt, whilst perhaps deep down we know that it is a huge ask ourselves.....it doesn't stop us believing.

We've had some quality seasons in the last 20 years alone, seasons that I will take with me to the grave!.... Let's have another! Let's make 23/24 one that we all remember in the stands. Let's treat this season like the party that it should be! Absolutely raise the rafters and cheer the lads one week in, week out.... regardless of who is wearing the shirt....

I strongly believe that another twenty odd thousand shirts in the stands will make a huge difference!

Can we leave all of the negativity in this folder and get together and enjoy it as blades?... i'm fed up of reading negative things, when we should be enjoying our current achievements!

UTB!

It’s pretty hard to get excited about a season where we are so underprepared it’s honestly beyond belief. The team we put out on Saturday would struggle to beat most teams in the division below, yes I know there is a couple of weeks left until the transfer window shuts but we’re still 6/7 players short and I can’t see us bringing anywhere near that many in. We can’t afford to write off 7/8 games before we even have a semi competitive squad. Especially when you include the likes of Palace, Forest & Everton in them 7/8, it’s just completely unacceptable.

Been thinking a lot about this recently.

I do think we have a uniquely negative, self pitying set of fans which is largely driven by forums and social media.

Part of it is modern fan culture where everything has to be one extreme or the other. Another part is wanting to set ourselves at odds with Wednesday fans who have taken on the complete inverse persona where everything is positive and everything is exaggerated.

On a Blades WhatsApp group the other day somebody gave the old adage about United and Wednesday being like the proverbial “bald men fighting over a comb”. We are in the Premier League for fucks sake, the best league in the world and a whole league higher than our rivals.

Granted supporting United is a complete rollercoaster ride. I’m 39 and have seen us in 3 divisions, 4 promotions, 4 relegations, 9 play off failures, 6 cup semi finals, Ched Evans, Tevez, Hans Segers and the rest.

That said it’s not like other clubs don’t have peaks and troughs or experience the inevitable heartbreak moments that are part and parcel of football.

We act like we are the only club in the world that sells its better players to bigger clubs, a lineage from Mick Jones through to Sander Berge being mentioned like it’s some kind of curse rather than a natural state of affairs for every club other than those at the very top table.

We seem to be at the point now where we don’t enjoy the highs but instead revel I’m self flagellation. I don’t ever recall Blades fans being like this, to this extent, prior to circa 2000.

Too much negativity on this forum I agree.

At Least We Are Not Sheffield Wednesday.

Yet another post pops up of pretty much the same negative tone, albeit with a little re-hash.

I mean come on.... We all know that our business operations in the summer are going to annoy and upset a good few, likewise we all know that there are a few plausable questions popping up... But what are we achieving in countless topics of a negative nature.

We are Sheffield United....the very word meaning joined together via common goals, purpose and feelings!!

Until anything significant changes in terms of ownership and investment, we are still very much the same small fish in the big pond that we are been for decades. We are the underdogs by every definition of the term! We are instantly expected by the neutrals to fail! We are the unfashionable neighbour of the dirty team from West Yorkshire.....

But who gives a toss!

Until anything changes we carry on as we have always done so. Whilst I don't expect any recent disappointments to be simply forgotten, I don't feel that we should let negativity get in the way of supporting the lads.

When we are all together and singing from the same hymn sheet, I don't think that there is a better set of fans in this country!

Whilst nobody expects us to do owt, whilst perhaps deep down we know that it is a huge ask ourselves.....it doesn't stop us believing.

We've had some quality seasons in the last 20 years alone, seasons that I will take with me to the grave!.... Let's have another! Let's make 23/24 one that we all remember in the stands. Let's treat this season like the party that it should be! Absolutely raise the rafters and cheer the lads one week in, week out.... regardless of who is wearing the shirt....

I strongly believe that another twenty odd thousand shirts in the stands will make a huge difference!

Can we leave all of the negativity in this folder and get together and enjoy it as blades?... i'm fed up of reading negative things, when we should be enjoying our current achievements!

UTB!
Aye
But…..
You’ll destroy the site when everyone posts solely on this thread
Or, is your self serving intention to surpass the cumulative Morsy Burn threads by the end of tomorrow?

For most fans of other clubs the prospect of seeing their team in the Premiership is a distant dream. But we’re there - the dream had come true, we’ve done it. The thing that’s hardest for me and unforgivable is that having successfully done all the hard work on the pitch the club is a complete shambles off it. There appears to be a huge disconnect between the playing side (good) and the ownership and governance (incompetent). Yes, I’ll keep supporting the team through thick and thin … but what a waste of opportunity and potential.

But who gives a toss!

UTB!
Tha'd better fuck thi sen off t S6 weer it's massive😁😉.

I'm right there with you mate.BDTBL not that place👍

For most fans of other clubs the prospect of seeing their team in the Premiership is a distant dream. But we’re there - the dream had come true, we’ve done it. The thing that’s hardest for me and unforgivable is that having successfully done all the hard work on the pitch the club is a complete shambles off it. There appears to be a huge disconnect between the playing side (good) and the ownership and governance (incompetent). Yes, I’ll keep supporting the team through thick and thin … but what a waste of opportunity and potential.
In my 40+ yes supporting the Blades our ownership has never been any different. In fact it's probably the best it's ever been in my memory. But still we suffer the same problems behind the scenes. It's not just us and I don't think it's always the boards fault. (Sometimes is but they are human). We are not a prem top 6 club so sometimes these issues are not completely in our control. Happy clapper I may be but honestly that is how I will always be. Keep up the support everyone. This is when we can be at our best.

I do think we have a uniquely negative, self pitying set of fans which is largely driven by forums and social media.

Part of it is modern fan culture where everything has to be one extreme or the other. Another part is wanting to set ourselves at odds with Wednesday fans who have taken on the complete inverse persona where everything is positive and everything is exaggerated.

On a Blades WhatsApp group the other day somebody gave the old adage about United and Wednesday being like the proverbial “bald men fighting over a comb”. We are in the Premier League for fucks sake, the best league in the world and a whole league higher than our rivals.

Granted supporting United is a complete rollercoaster ride. I’m 39 and have seen us in 3 divisions, 4 promotions, 4 relegations, 9 play off failures, 6 cup semi finals, Ched Evans, Tevez, Hans Segers and the rest.

That said it’s not like other clubs don’t have peaks and troughs or experience the inevitable heartbreak moments that are part and parcel of football.

We act like we are the only club in the world that sells its better players to bigger clubs, a lineage from Mick Jones through to Sander Berge being mentioned like it’s some kind of curse rather than a natural state of affairs for every club other than those at the very top table.

We seem to be at the point now where we don’t enjoy the highs but instead revel I’m self flagellation. I don’t ever recall Blades fans being like this, to this extent, prior to circa 2000.
I could take you back to the 60,s mate we've always been glass half empty 😉
But we always support every game and get behind the team

None of this throwing seat cushions on the pitch!!!

We're a good sized city club who will average over 30,000 yet some like to portray us as this little provincial plucky underdog over-achieving.

We're far from a deluded fanbase but our achievements over my lifetime have been very disappointing compared to every other club of our stature and some smaller.

Most fans understand we don't have a rich owner or pots of money but so far our preparations have underwhelmed.

Many of us remember Division 4 and my support started in Division 3 before that so few of us began following this club for the glory.

However, I'd like to think that I'll see us have our one day in the sun before my time is done. One that stretches beyond the odd top flight season and cup semi.

Everyone is entitled to different opinions but this place is the best place to air frustrations and concerns. Despite recent negativity I heard little at the game on Saturday, just mainly support for the players.

It's a fallacy that everyone who voices frustration on the net then gets on the teams back at the game like some try to make out.

We are Premier League in name only. Several championship clubs are stronger than us.

It's like Maribor being in the Champions League, so many levels behind the other teams.
Not really.

We are a Premier League club by virtue of the fact we got promoted there because we were the 2nd best team in the Championship as determined over a 46 game league season.

You know, the traditional definition.

"Granted supporting United is a complete rollercoaster ride. I’m 39 and have seen us in 3 divisions, 4 promotions, 4 relegations, 9 play off failures, 6 cup semi finals, Ched Evans, Tevez, Hans Segers and the rest".
Seeing it laid out like that CB, it looks exciting, plenty of clubs can't lay claim to a quarter of that. Oh to be a Blade.

It’s pretty hard to get excited about a season where we are so underprepared it’s honestly beyond belief. The team we put out on Saturday would struggle to beat most teams in the division below, yes I know there is a couple of weeks left until the transfer window shuts but we’re still 6/7 players short and I can’t see us bringing anywhere near that many in. We can’t afford to write off 7/8 games before we even have a semi competitive squad. Especially when you include the likes of Palace, Forest & Everton in them 7/8, it’s just completely unacceptable.
Considering that's mainly caused by the fact the window closes 3 weeks after the first game, what do you propose we do about it?

Negativity is the Sheffield way. Never known a set of folk so negative elsewhere in the UK…perhaps the lads from Trainspotting about Scotland come close.

I’d say it always used to be “ah fuck it let’s just get on with it” Same with supporting United. Starting watching 1963, finally got to Wembley v the Pigs. Younger fans have had it very differently. There’s more expectation these days, it used to be hope. Nothing wrong with that, it’s how it is. It’s not settling for mediocrity as the constant critics like to constantly claim. Nor is it an acceptance that we will always fail in the big games. The hope is still there. That’s why the promotions under Harris, Porterfield, Basset, Warnock, Wilder and now Hecky are so sweet. Why years afterwords, Cardiff/Watford, Darlington and Leicester are such fantastic memories. And those aren’t dulled by the realisation we’ve always been a selling club. Hopefully that will change……

Forest had 4 points after 6 games - considering the amount of players they had to bed in - they turned it around and stayed up. So i am not worrying at all. Yeah, its going to be horrible watching the first 6-7 games but if we get the players in and they start to gel, then results will pick up. I imagine their forum was probably the same last year especially after signing an enitrely new squad.

Forest had 4 points after 6 games - considering the amount of players they had to bed in - they turned it around and stayed up. So i am not worrying at all. Yeah, its going to be horrible watching the first 6-7 games but if we get the players in and they start to gel, then results will pick up. I imagine their forum was probably the same last year especially after signing an enitrely new squad.
I will go further after 10 games, Forest had 5 points....after 13 games they had 9 points.

Do we have any plans in place for an extension to the corner or even a standing section?

I'm actually quite the clapper when it comes to the side. I still think the last relegation side wasn't that far off it! This is a worse side.

I’d say it always used to be “ah fuck it let’s just get on with it” Same with supporting United. Starting watching 1963, finally got to Wembley v the Pigs. Younger fans have had it very differently. There’s more expectation these days, it used to be hope. Nothing wrong with that, it’s how it is. It’s not settling for mediocrity as the constant critics like to constantly claim. Nor is it an acceptance that we will always fail in the big games. The hope is still there. That’s why the promotions under Harris, Porterfield, Basset, Warnock, Wilder and now Hecky are so sweet. Why years afterwords, Cardiff/Watford, Darlington and Leicester are such fantastic memories. And those aren’t dulled by the realisation we’ve always been a selling club. Hopefully that will change……

Agreed and I love all that about us. It’s carved out a Blades fan persona that I genuinely think is different from fans of other clubs, the positives to that persona are an ability to laugh at ourselves but also a fervent desire and passion to win, especially as an underdog. It’s why Bramall Lane is revered for its intimidating atmosphere when on its day. However, the negative side is that downbeat nature when things aren’t quite going our way, we know we’re better than when we’re in League One, for example, and the negativity can be all consuming.

For the people with negative thought remember 1991 when we where wrote off it all come good just believe in the club and get behind the player win lose or draw still cheer on Saturday

For the people with negative thought remember 1991 when we wrote off it all come good just believe in the club and get behind the player win lose or draw still cheer on Saturday
People said that a lot in 2020-21. Didn't come to pass.

Not really.

We are a Premier League club by virtue of the fact we got promoted there because we were the 2nd best team in the Championship as determined over a 46 game league season.

You know, the traditional definition.

In name, and technically we are, in the PL, in reality we are not among the top 20 teams in the country.

Maribor are (or were recently, can't be bothered to check) in the Champions League, I don't think many would class them as a Champions League club.

I dived into this thread with absolute gusto. At last! somewhere to dump all the toxic bile I can’t get rid of in the pub after the game. But to my utter disappointment, the OP was only being ironic…cunt!

But who gives a toss!

UTB!
What do you want to read on this board in preference to negativity?

Obviously the exaggerated attention seeking negative camp get on my nerves
however don’t like the we’re little Sheffield United and proud positive camp either.

What’s wrong with being in the “realism“ camp, which involves positives and negatives.

I appreciate negative comments if they’re written in a respectful logical way and the poster is able to back up their statement with evidence or informed opinion.
The world is divisive, everything seems extreme and people seem to have forgot about nuance of thought.
Things are rarely black and white, the world is full of grey.

What I find weird is the fans who keep predicting doom and gloom, even if we had new owners promising to spend millions
it’s “they’re lying” or if we announce stadium expansion, it’s “it won’t happen” or “waste of time we’ll never fill it”.
I’ll quote facts to explain why they’re probably wrong but they still won’t accept the facts because they’re unable to take in anything positive.

To be fair they probably deserve sympathy as there are some people that see everything in a half empty fashion
and are only happy when they complain, so maybe the “slagging off United” is just part of their self therapy.

Last edited:
What do you want to read on this board in preference to negativity?
Balanced, respectful and reasoned expression of well - thought- out points of view.
Insights that cause me to challenge my own perceptions, or to see things differently.
Useful information that I didn’t already know.
Things that make me laugh out loud.

In name, and technically we are, in the PL, in reality we are not among the top 20 teams in the country.

Maribor are (or were recently, can't be bothered to check) in the Champions League, I don't think many would class them as a Champions League club.
That’s the kind of exceptional negativity I’m talking about. File that with “we will definitely blow promotion, it’s the blades way” which is now “we’ll beat Derby’s point total”.

“We aren’t really a Premier League club” despite being in the Premier League. Who actually is a “Premier League” club who isn’t in the Premier League? You have to attain that status via a full season playing games of football rather than some dork on twitter saying a club has had “a good window”

Wednesday have been claiming to be a “Premier League club in all but name” for 23 years but they aren’t because they fucking shit when it comes to games of football.

The comparison with the Champions League isn’t a valid one. Champions League is drawn from various countries with wildly differing standards. Sheffield United are probably better than some teams in the qualifying stages. Does that make us a Champions League team? No course it doesn’t.

Back
Top Bottom