Fenerbahce game

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

But my point is about inconsistencies. Why is it just the young players that should be applauded for attempting difficult things. I guarantee, had porter picked the ball up, and run the ball straight out of play, an almighty groan would have gone up from the kop calling him every name under the sun. It's just when fans have made their minds up, there's no changing it. On the other hand, had Diego rounded the keeper -"and put that cross in, that would be 'evidence' he's clearly a class act and should be playing blah blah blah....

Now I'm not making a point about individual performances, but some fans do frustrate me that certain players can do no wrong, and others seemingly can't so anything right.
I do understand your point blader,but the older players should know better.If porter would have done the same as the examples you put with Diego and Reed,i'm sure he would have got a clap just for the effort of trying it as they were both trying difficult things against a very good side.But as we should all know,there is not much chance of Porter trying any of them things because he is very limited.

The porter example.Have you not thought that the bloke might have been saying to put the ball into the box and not the net,because lets face it,that cross he attempted when he was in acres was absolutely awful.Take a touch,bring it inside a bit,oh no i will panic and just get rid of it,simply bobbar.

Best friendly ever!

It seemed much more like a proper game than any other freindly Ive been too. Thought we were going to get absolutly hammered after the first 5 mins but we did well to get back into it.

As others have said Reed looks class and I thought McNulty was played out of position so couldnt realy judge him on last nights performance.

In the second half Butler looked fooking massive, didnt notice in the first as he was the other end and my eyes arnt what they used to be. Is he realy that big or is it an optical ilusion with the new kit?

Fenerbache fans were excellent, couldnt see us lot turning out like that if we were playing a team thousands of miles away that were effectivly a pub team compared to us

But my point is about inconsistencies. Why is it just the young players that should be applauded for attempting difficult things. I guarantee, had porter picked the ball up, and run the ball straight out of play, an almighty groan would have gone up from the kop calling him every name under the sun. It's just when fans have made their minds up, there's no changing it. On the other hand, had Diego rounded the keeper -"and put that cross in, that would be 'evidence' he's clearly a class act and should be playing blah blah blah....

Now I'm not making a point about individual performances, but some fans do frustrate me that certain players can do no wrong, and others seemingly can't so anything right.

I agree that booing any hard trying United player is a stupid thing to do. But fans are always going to be more harsh on an experienced player trying things that fans feel he's simply not capable of, than youngsters trying things that fans hope they eventually will get right.

Porter won plenty of balls in the air yesterday, as usual, and should be applauded for that even though there rarely were anybody around him to pick up the flick.

I'll get my apologies in first, just in case it's already been mentioned in this thread.

Has anyone considered, now that we have a 'relationship' with Fener, the possibility of loaning any of their players? We've not been shy of loaning domestic players from the UK, so it's purely an extension of this I'd have thought. They're obviously a cut above most of the clubs we'd face in the pre-season period, so I'm assuming there'd be quality somewhere on the fringes of their first team. Just a thought. UTB

Fenerbache fans were excellent, couldnt see us lot turning out like that if we were playing a team thousands of miles away that were effectivly a pub team compared to us

I imagine the majority were based in the UK. Quite fancying the trip to Istanbul next year tho!

Best friendly ever!

It seemed much more like a proper game than any other freindly Ive been too. Thought we were going to get absolutly hammered after the first 5 mins but we did well to get back into it.

As others have said Reed looks class and I thought McNulty was played out of position so couldnt realy judge him on last nights performance.

In the second half Butler looked fooking massive, didnt notice in the first as he was the other end and my eyes arnt what they used to be. Is he realy that big or is it an optical ilusion with the new kit?

Butler is said to be 6'0. He let their striker slip in behind him when they scored and had an mediocre first half, but improved 2nd half.

Wide midfielders are often the players who cover most ground during games. As McNulty also aimed to support Porter up front it's natural that he became tired which must have affected his touch.

There are some special players whose touch remains good even following sprints and Louis Reed seems to be one such player.

Roygbiv: 'View from Fenerbahce'??

"Never liked Sheff Utd ever since Paul Quinn played for them"

"Typical Sheffield United. Hoofball all game, physical bordering on dangerous "

"I have always hated Dave Kitson"

"Always preferred Wednesday"

"Two poor sides"

"We were rubbish but they were worse"

"Clough is living off his dad's reputation"

“they ruined the game with their constant gamesmanship”

"That lump Maguire is nowhere near Premiership class"

It usually goes something like that anyway ;)

I'll get my apologies in first, just in case it's already been mentioned in this thread.

Has anyone considered, now that we have a 'relationship' with Fener, the possibility of loaning any of their players? We've not been shy of loaning domestic players from the UK, so it's purely an extension of this I'd have thought. They're obviously a cut above most of the clubs we'd face in the pre-season period, so I'm assuming there'd be quality somewhere on the fringes of their first team. Just a thought. UTB

Raul Meirelles please. Then we don't need to bother signing Brayford. Plus Meirelles has tattoos and a Mohican!

Raul Meirelles please. Then we don't need to bother signing Brayford. Plus Meirelles has tattoos and a Mohican!

Yes, wouldn't that be nice matt, impressive player and according to reports he accounted for himself with distinction by mingling with some of our fans. Top attitude and worth his weight for behaving like a grown-up.

Yes, wouldn't that be nice matt, impressive player and according to reports he accounted for himself with distinction by mingling with some of our fans. Top attitude and worth his weight for behaving like a grown-up.

He can bring his missus too ;)

354282.jpg

Although to be fair, his ball out to the right in the build up to Porters goal was quality.
As much as i criticise Doyle that was a classy little ball with great vision,wtf Doyleo_O

Got there 20-25 mins late - Nightmare getting out of Brum - Really enjoyed the night - despite getting home at 01:30
Thought JCR was lazy and gave the ball away easily in the first half and never tracked his man leaving Davies to do all the defending but complete contrast in second half - he played really well and put in some dangerous crosses - Flynn, Murph and JCR should create a lot of chances this season :)

Very good: Howard
Good: JCR, Davies (though he's a man without a position I fear), Reed.
Good cameos: Collins, Diego, Wallace, Crawford, Alcock
Not so good: McGinn, McNulty, McGahey, Porter
Okay: everyone else

Entertaining evening, and some hope for next season.

Was pleasantly surprised last night. Thought we got the run around first half and was wonderful to see some class opposition. We settled the more we got into the game. Felt for Porter, if ever a man was out of his depth it was him last night. Did a couple of nice things and if we had someone alongside him a couple of his headers would have created openings but he really shouldn't be first XI material.

Reed was exceptional considering the company he was in. Flynn looked a bit lost but came into it as the game went on, JCR looked red hot in the second half and appeared instrumental in pretty much everything we did as an outlet.

Toward the end Di Girolamo and Dimao (I think) came on and looked promising.

Special praise for Howard as well. One save early in the second half was unbelievable and he had a faultless evening.

To sum up as much as you can gain from a friendly such as this we appear to be in good shape. Still need something up front and this is starting to worry me a little. Clough may be trying to get men in but time is getting short and we appear to be getting blocked off at every attempt one way or another. Sort that one and I think we will have a good chance of pushing on at promotion.

.........and according to reports he accounted for himself with distinction by mingling with some of our fans. Top attitude and worth his weight for behaving like a grown-up.

Indeed, signed an autograph for my lad as did most of the Fener players and all the United team

Indeed, signed an autograph for my lad as did most of the Fener players and all the United team

Lovely to hear mate. It only takes a few minutes and the memory stays with the young 'uns for years. If only some of those who are convinced of their star status could be generous enough to understand the importance and connection between team and supporter, but let's be grateful for what Fener brought to t'Lane.

I was pleasantly suprised too but have the following grumbles of course:

I'd bought tickets in advance and was late arriving - just in time for the KO. When I arrived the Q for the ticket office stretched to the top of the car park. Its no use blaming customers, you should have contingencies for one off matches like this and have cash turnstiles too - other clubs do.

Tannoy in South stand - could'nt hear a thing. Bloke next to me said whay are we clapping, bloke in front said 'one of the old players has died'. Tannoy wasn't working on tuesday either. Many people had no idea who was comimg on or going off the pitch.

Good to see that the curry pies which were too cold to sell at half time on tuesday were warmed up by last night

Poor distribution, and (like Butler) didn't deal too well with those he was marking. Early days though. He is a work in progress.

McNulty's wastefulness is a more immediate concern.

I agreed with your assessments, other than McGahey.

:)

UTB

Considering the talent McGahey was playing against last night, did he really do that badly. His passing could be better, however Butler's really just need to keep it simple with the ball at his feet, otherwise there will be lots of shouts of catch in the front rows this season.

Got there 20-25 mins late - Nightmare getting out of Brum - Really enjoyed the night - despite getting home at 01:30
Thought JCR was lazy and gave the ball away easily in the first half and never tracked his man leaving Davies to do all the defending but complete contrast in second half - he played really well and put in some dangerous crosses - Flynn, Murph and JCR should create a lot of chances this season :)

I think JCR is going to a good weapon coming off the bench with 20 to go.

Back
Top Bottom