Everton v Wimbledon......and Segers

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

derfblade.3

Reaction score
Robbed and relegated by Don's keeper Segers 30 years ago who was later found to have thrown the game in a bribing scandal that got the Blades relegated after a last min defeat at Chelsea. He made no attempt to stop the 3rd goal.I remember one pundit saying his mum would have stopped it.
Not Evertons fault but would be nice to put one over them tomorrow

Oh christ, not again.

There is no "conspiracy" to keep Everton in the Premier League and we weren't "cheated"

We were playing in a football match ourselves that day and like true fuckwits threw away a 2-1 lead with around 15 mins to go, we also fucked up the midweek prior to this by failing to beat Oldham Athletic.

Robbed and relegated by Don's keeper Segers 30 years ago who was later found to have thrown the game in a bribing scandal that got the Blades relegated after a last min defeat at Chelsea. He made no attempt to stop the 3rd goal.I remember one pundit saying his mum would have stopped it.
Not Evertons fault but would be nice to put one over them tomorrow

Although there were doubts (and still are) about Segers’ performance in that game, nothing has been proven or even got as far a court regarding that match specifically. I think I’m right in saying it was different match that Segers was alleged to have thrown, and he was found not guilty of that.

Agree that we screwed up at Oldham (had Simon Tracey sent off) & then messed up at Chelsea. So it was our own doing. However, there was strange stuff going on in matches involving Wimbledon around that time. I recall a bizarre game at Wimbledon where Fashanu virtually caught the ball from a defending corner - infact I think he may have done it twice.

Agree that we screwed up at Oldham (had Simon Tracey sent off) & then messed up at Chelsea. So it was our own doing. However, there was strange stuff going on in matches involving Wimbledon around that time. I recall a bizarre game at Wimbledon where Fashanu virtually caught the ball from a defending corner - infact I think he may have done it twice.

The Fashanu incident was 3 years prior at Plough Lane.

We got a penalty for one but not for the other, Roger Milford was the ref.

Segars was never charged with any wrong doing and I've never seen that quote from Bassett but of he did say that he's quite frankly talking bollocks.

The Fashanu incident was 3 years prior at Plough Lane.

We got a penalty for one but not for the other, Roger Milford was the ref.

Segars was never charged with any wrong doing and I've never seen that quote from Bassett but of he did say that he's quite frankly talking bollocks.
I was stood with the Wimbledon fans and it was clear Fash handled twice.

Of course Segers threw the game , to believe otherwise just coz he wasn't prosecuted is naive - the establishment felt Everton could not be relegated and the establishment has long tentacles of influence.
Segers & Tevez , no way that's coincidence

Of course Segers threw the game , to believe otherwise just coz he wasn't prosecuted is naive - the establishment felt Everton could not be relegated and the establishment has long tentacles of influence.

So we're they also complicit in us throwing away a 2-1 lead at Stamford Bridge or ensuring we lost to Wigan at home?

So we're they also complicit in us throwing away a 2-1 lead at Stamford Bridge or ensuring we lost to Wigan at home?
Of course not , but it doesn't stop the influence in the other games , hoping we'd slip up as per usual.
And Kevin got £25m out of Wet Sham via a formal hearing , so Tevez is undeniable.
Segers stinks to high heaven.

The allegations were eventually made public quite a while after the event, but at the time a few of us were aware of it because a national journalist had some fairly solid stuff that he was hawking around fanzine editors because his own sports editor refused to run the story and he was looking for an alternative outlet for it. Something definitely went on.

The allegations were eventually made public quite a while after the event, but at the time a few of us were aware of it because a national journalist had some fairly solid stuff that he was hawking around fanzine editors because his own sports editor refused to run the story and he was looking for an alternative outlet for it. Something definitely went on.

So he "fixed" it that a full football team and manager and subs were involved in making it so they lost? So how would that have worked had we held on at Chelsea? Or were Chelsea involved too?

My recollection from reading Dave Bassett's autobiography many years ago was that he said "If I said what I really thought about the Everton v Wimbledon game if be dragged through every court in the land". More recently on Under The Cosh he said he wished he'd got Hodgy (?) to ask Dennis Wise to take it easy as we needed a point.

So he "fixed" it that a full football team and manager and subs were involved in making it so they lost? So how would that have worked had we held on at Chelsea? Or were Chelsea involved too?
Give it a rest , you'll not change others opinions , especially those who watched those 3 goals at the time

Also in 1968, it was alleged that Southampton players took bribes not to beat Coventry in the last game of the season.

My recollection from reading Dave Bassett's autobiography many years ago was that he said "If I said what I really thought about the Everton v Wimbledon game if be dragged through every court in the land". More recently on Under The Cosh he said he wished he'd got Hodgy (?) to ask Dennis Wise to take it easy as we needed a point.
Wise provided the cross that led to Chelsea's winner. A minute earlier he played a bad cross that went out of play.

He let the goals in. If you recall, at the time Wimbledon’s defence was one of the best in the PL and Everton couldn’t score goals for, erm, toffee.

For what it’s worth, I’m fairly sure he didn’t do it to save Everton from relegation. That was merely an unintended consequence.

I was stood with the Wimbledon fans and it was clear Fash handled twice.

Bloody hell. I've been looking for that for years to try and square it with my memory. I've no idea what anyone had riding on that game, but if you were thick as pig shit and had decided to cheat that's exactly how you'd go about it.

Had we held on for a draw at Chelsea, Ipswich Town would have been relegated instead.

I’m not sure that people are suggesting that whatever did or didn’t happen at Goodison Park that day, was specifically about sending Sheffield United down. Rather, it was about ensuring that Everton got the win that was their best/only chance of surviving at somebody else’s expense, be that us, Ipswich or Southampton. In the event, it happened to be us who were the incidental fall-guys.

Had we held on for a draw at Chelsea, Ipswich Town would have been relegated instead.

I’m not sure that people are suggesting that whatever did or didn’t happen at Goodison Park that day, was specifically about sending Sheffield United down. Rather, it was about ensuring that Everton got the win that was their best/only chance of surviving at somebody else’s expense, be that us, Ipswich or Southampton. In the event, it happened to be us who were the incidental fall-guys.

So let me get this straight Everton and the FA were involved in a conspiracy to keep Everton in the Premier League?

And yet 30 years on not one of those involved/family members/bitter exs etc has confirmed this?

So let me get this straight Everton and the FA were involved in a conspiracy to keep Everton in the Premier League?

And yet 30 years on not one of those involved/family members/bitter exs etc has confirmed this?
Are you saying that because thirty years have passed you are expecting the people who paid Segers to just come forward and reveal themselves?

Are you saying that because thirty years have passed you are expecting the people who paid Segers to just come forward and reveal themselves?

No im saying that during that time if the conspiracy was to keep Everton in the PL has as been alleged several times that would have involved several people none of whom have revealed themselves.

I was living in Liverpool at the time and used my SUFC season ticket to convince the Everton ticket office to sell me a ticket in the away end. Needless to say it wasn't my best decision. The Wimbledon fans were gutted for me but there was talk before the game that the team had been up all night with the hotel alarm constantly going off and the team coach was set on fire. When rumours of a fix began to circulate , I can't say I was too surprised.

I was there - he did it twice. No doubt in my mind he was up to something.

Some strong allegations been made here that a goalkeeper threw a game, so if the sleuths of s2 have spotted this how come he wasn't charged with it?

Back
Top Bottom