Do not over react - message to the Board

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Tony Currie

Reaction score
Okay, that was not good enough against a £1 billion side, https://www.goal.com/en-in/lists/ne...1-billion-player-signings/bltd47ef138cba3a3a6

As disappointed as I am (especially with the lack of fight) we are up against teams in this division who have out spent us by a factor of 50. Our season will not be defined by games against these clubs. Results against the bottom six are what will count and hopefully we show more fight!

Additionally, if we do go down we should be sticking with Heckingbottom. He has earned another chance in the Championship, he has built a new team that would definitely compete at that level. Look how well the recently demoted premiership teams are doing in the Championship(where they kept the side together!). Unfortunately the chasm between championship and premiership is widening :-(

Until/If we get a major money backer the best we can expect is being a Yoyo team.

Okay, that was not good enough against a £1 billion side, https://www.goal.com/en-in/lists/ne...1-billion-player-signings/bltd47ef138cba3a3a6

As disappointed as I am (especially with the lack of fight) we are up against teams in this division who have out spent us by a factor of 50. Our season will not be defined by games against these clubs. Results against the bottom six are what will count and hopefully we show more fight!

Additionally, if we do go down we should be sticking with Heckingbottom. He has earned another chance in the Championship, he has built a new team that would definitely compete at that level. Look how well the recently demoted premiership teams are doing in the Championship(where they kept the side together!). Unfortunately the chasm between championship and premiership is widening :-(

Until/If we get a major money backer the best we can expect is being a Yoyo team.
I would argue that us, Burnley & Luton aren’t even a top 6 side in this season’s championship. The standard of the championship last season was absolutely awful. We lost 27% of our games and still got promoted with 4 games to go. It’s unheard of. And we’ve now got a team expected to compete in a league higher with a squad much worse than we can up with. It’s unforgivable. I think we will get quite a few more hammerings this season. This is just the start.

I would argue that us, Burnley & Luton aren’t even a top 6 side in this season’s championship. The standard of the championship last season was absolutely awful. We lost 27% of our games and still got promoted with 4 games to go. It’s unheard of. And we’ve now got a team expected to compete in a league higher with a squad much worse than we can up with. It’s unforgivable. I think we will get quite a few more hammerings this season. This is just the start.
That fair comment,we don't even look like a decent Championship side.

Disagree, I think all three of us could finish top 6 in the Champ. Luton have improved every season for a decade, Burnley have a stronger squad and the same manager, our squad has been a mess and it will settle down soon. Wouldn't be surprised if we all go down still.

Leicester are top and have been average all season, their fans and the underlying stats are clear on that. Preston have been top for weeks, I'm not having that they'd finish above any of us.

Newcastle aren't a £1bn side.
That article shows £1bn being spent since the turn of the millennium.

Their net spend each season since the takeover is below:

2020/21 = £39m
2021/22 = £130m
2022/23 = £171m
2023/24 = £108m
Total = £448m

That's been spent over 7 transfer windows so averages out at ~£64m per window.

In the same period of time, United have a net spend of £145m, averaging £20.7m each window. That includes 4x Championship Windows too.

Of course they're much richer than us and their squad cost more, but it's hardly, Man Utd & Chelsea levels of spending.

I'm all for sticking with the manager....to a point.

Sadly, he used up 6 of his 9 lives yesterday. The defense needs surgery, and it's been obvious for a while. I've always thought Hecke was slow to react (that can be a strength too), but he's got to do something about the defense now.

We were up against similar odds in the first season up with Wilder.
Mitigating factors for Hecky, particularly the loss of Ndiaye which looks more and more a disaster with each passing week, but the lack of organisation and heart is down to him.
Can't see him overseeing a whole Derby-style season without being sacked.

Until/If we get a major money backer the best we can expect is being a Yoyo tea
Have the board got any kind of reaction in them?

Mainly down to their in-action we are where we are ....the Prince didn't want to know until we played WBA and reached the FA Cup semi at Wembley . Then he was all over us & SKY like a rash.

They will do ....... nothing - IMO

2020/21 = £39m
2021/22 = £130m
2022/23 = £171m
2023/24 = £108m
Total = £448m

In the same period of time, United have a net spend of £145m, averaging £20.7m each window. That includes 4x Championship Windows too.

Of course they're much richer than us and their squad cost more, but it's hardly, Man Utd & Chelsea levels of spending.
It's not just the transfer spend though matt, it's the contracts on offer too. The best we can hope for is what we have seen in recent seasons without major, and I mean major, investment. Even then I am not sure the Premiership is where I want to be.

There is plenty of cash to be had being YO YO club .

The standard of the championship last season was absolutely awful. We lost 27% of our games and still got promoted with 4 games to go.

It's such a spurious conclusion to say that, because we lost a lot of games and got promoted, the standard must be poor.

Surely the opposite could be true. Maybe, despite being the second best team, we lost a lot of games because the standard of the rest of the division was so high? Wouldn't a poor division mean that the teams near the top win all of their games?

I'm all for sticking with the manager....to a point.

Sadly, he used up 6 of his 9 lives yesterday. The defense needs surgery, and it's been obvious for a while. I've always thought Hecke was slow to react (that can be a strength too), but he's got to do something about the defense now.
I agree with this - we can take losing narrowly most weeks, picking up the odd draw or win, and getting relegated with a respectable points total. In that scenario, he'd earn the chance to have another go in the Championship next season. We can't can't take being on the receiving end of 6,7 or 8 nil drubbings most weeks. In that scenario, the board would be negligent to stick by him as it could have an irreversible effect on the morale of the squad and player development.

I don't buy it at all that this season's Championship is stronger than last, I think you could actually argue the other way around. Us and Burnley were really strong last season, so were Boro with Archer, Akpom, Giles and Ramsey. Luton and Coventry were very strong too. This season for all the so called quality from the PL, you've got Preston 3rd and newly promoted Ipswich 2nd. Both Southampton and Leeds look average, I'll give you that Leicester are strong but not so sure they have anyone better than Ndiaye, Berge and Doyle who we had. This season with Hamer, McBurnie. McAtee and Archer, I reckon if we were in the Championship we'd be 2nd or 3rd.

The problem with this season's team is the lack of depth, that's what is killing us, such as when McBurnie is injured or suspended we've got Traore or Osula to come in because for reason's totally unbeknownst to me, we decided against, or could not sign someone up top as cover. I would have taken Ashley Barnes over no one coming in, I know he's out for a month but he would have done a decent job covering McBurnie over Osula coming in who should have gone out on loan. But I still think this season's team is a very good Championship team, Souza would be probably one of the best in the Championship too.

It's such a spurious conclusion to say that, because we lost a lot of games and got promoted, the standard must be poor.

Surely the opposite could be true. Maybe, despite being the second best team, we lost a lot of games because the standard of the rest of the division was so high? Wouldn't a poor division mean that the teams near the top win all of their games?
Each to their own but I think the overall quality of the championship last season was the worst for some time. I also the standard of football at the highest level across European top leagues is at its worst for some time also.

Disagree, I think all three of us could finish top 6 in the Champ. Luton have improved every season for a decade, Burnley have a stronger squad and the same manager, our squad has been a mess and it will settle down soon. Wouldn't be surprised if we all go down still.

Leicester are top and have been average all season, their fans and the underlying stats are clear on that. Preston have been top for weeks, I'm not having that they'd finish above any of us.
At the moment, Leicester would beat us easily.

Each to their own but I think the overall quality of the championship last season was the worst for some time. I also the standard of football at the highest level across European top leagues is at its worst for some time also.

That's a perfectly valid opinion, but it can't be backed up by looking at the results within a division. Whether every team in a division is amazing or every team is shit, there will still be some teams that win a lot of games and some that don't. Having one or two runaway leaders in the division suggests that the range of abilities within the league might be wide, but doesn't tell you anything about the overall quality.

I can't speak for yourselves or Luton, but Burnley are definitely a better side this year than last. It might look worse because the worst of the teams we each play this year is better than the best of the teams we played last year.

Sheffield United got 90-odd points last year and got promotion. It's normal. 90-odd points almost always gets promotion.

At the moment, Leicester would beat us easily.
Man City didn't beat you easily, nor did Spurs. It's far too early to give up.

You tubbed us at Bramall lane last year, and it didn't mean we were hopeless and doomed. Move on. Improve. Get the defence back to work instead of taking the day off like yesterday!

Whilst what you say may be true, how many teams from the top 4 divisions would lose 8-0 to Newcastle at home?
It is a bloody disgrace.

If you want to watch football, you watch the Championship*. The true, original "league". Where it is actual proper football. Ever changing, not usually dull, good mix of teams.

If you want to watch theatre, you watch the Premier League. Where controversy is king. Almost pantomime in nature with the same almost default teams playing the bad guys.

*Downside is the Championship is getting more like the Premier League every season. Aspiring to be a Premier League wannabe.

Last edited:
Hard to fathom how we can start a Premier League season with a weaker squad than the one that finished the Championship. That’s down to recruitment processes and budget, not the manager, who has more than proved his value in his time at the club.

We’ve hung on in other games, and kept the scoreline respectable, through sheer desire and the occasional moment of class. Beyond that we look physically and technically weaker. Again, that’s not really the fault of the players, it’s the reality of trying to compete in the hardest league in the world on a very tight budget. Generally speaking, you get what you pay for.

As another poster said, Berge and Doyle looked a strong partnership, capable of at least competing in the big league. Souza and Norwood are a step back in movement and mobility. Ndiaye, McAtee playing off McBurnie or Sharp always looked capable of making something happen. We’re now over reliant on McBurnie, who is frequently injured.

I didn’t really get Hecky’s desire to keep all last season’s squad together, given the age of some of his players. Now it all makes sense. Without serious investment, he at least had a group he knew and could trust. Aside from being individually weaker we have also lost the unity that we regained under Wilder.

This is not the time to sack the manager. The owner says he has taken a long term approach and will judge the manager across all his duties. The academy is thriving and Hecky delivered us back to the Prem in his first full season in charge. He might just be the most capable person we have in the club. He seems like a strong character and will be severely tested this season as we all will. We need to dust ourselves down, stay focused on the long term and remain United.

Luton and Burnley are going to do there best to stay up and we already think our team / manager isn’t up too it.

This is the issue.

Under Warnock and Wilder we knew it would be tough but we always new we had a chance.

The problem is the team we have now is not the team we had last season. This team need to get their pride for wearing the shirt, they need to fight for each other and play for each other. I dont think these new players know what it is to be 3-1 down with 15 minutes to go and fight all the way to the end to get 1 point. I dont think these new players have been through 2-1 winning and put their bodies on the line to get 3 points. This is whats needed. I think some will get there but others I dont know. Who would have thought a year ago we would be depending on McBurnie up front to see us through. Not me.

The psychological impact of dealing with a frustrating and potentially damaging defeat at Spurs last week, considering the way in which this played out, must have had the players looking in the mirror thinking what the f was it going to take !!!

UTB

2020/21 = £39m
2021/22 = £130m
2022/23 = £171m
2023/24 = £108m
Total = £448m

I read today that their 3 subs who came on in the second half cost a combined £120m?

I think Sunday was a freak result. But can we really decide to go half the season without a win again like last time without making a change?

I think Sunday was a freak result. But can we really decide to go half the season without a win again like last time without making a change?
Absolutely. Write this season off and go back to the championship in a better place to go back up. To be honest that was quite possibly the aim before a ball was kicked this season.

Absolutely. Write this season off and go back to the championship in a better place to go back up. To be honest that was quite possibly the aim before a ball was kicked this season.

One or two rumours of financial problems brewing right now. Next summer we’ll have no money to spend and only a handful of players under contract. Squad will need a huge amount of investment. It’s very worrying.

The crucial thing is the takeover.

Back
Top Bottom