Outgoing? Diego Di Girolamo

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

not only could it be agent fed, but its also the daily mail.

Probably an attempt to cause unrest at Sheffield United, wouldn't put it past them, southern biased paper if ever there was one.

I'm sorry.... "star striker"??

I missed that lol, probably because its late, see, its the daily mail, if they had actually done their homework they would have realised we don't actually have a good striker, never mind a star striker......

Let's be right though... He sounds far too Italian for a League 1 club to have. I don't blame bigger European teams taking an interest or scouting him.

And people wonder why some young players react the way they do after their fragile egos are fed such nonsense?

Clough will be well aware of this. He'll deal with it as he does with everything else, with the club's best interests at heart.
You can't blame the lad, he'll be told this, that, and the other by people other than his manager. Most of them who wouldn't know a great deal about the game, especially the necessary advice and guidance that's needed for a young player to develop and realise his potential.

But I guess that's just how things are. It doesn't make it right of course, there'll always be young talent who are seen as the key to the door where riches await, full of promise, reputations often exceeding what they can deliver, but willing to let an agent do as they please as long as that ego continues to be massaged. I'm not blaming Diego, he's young, perhaps impressionable, I guess we'll never get to the bottom of this. I doubt anyone expected to see Diego forge a career at united long-term, but letting him work with decent coaches, and a manager who's nobody's fool, would be the right thing to do at this stage in what may well be a first step in a glittering career.

Again, in Clough we have to trust to handle this in everyone's best interests.

From his point of view, he's come back from injury and now finds himself behind Khan, Calvert-Lewin, Dimaio and Reed - who, Calvert-Lewin aside, will likely appear again before the season ends. That's probably understandably frustrating for him, particularly as he continues to play in the Italian youth set-up.

That said, all four of those other players are fully fit, and by the sounds of it deserve their chances. He therefore has to be patient.

Maybe somebody should point him in the direction of the last " star striker " to have his head turned by agents from our club ,
and tell him maybe the grass isn't always greener , if the story is in fact true , highly doubt it though .
I'll leave our manager to deal with this nonsense .

It must be frustrating for the lad but he needs a full pre season behind him.

He also needs to listen to Clough as he has brought through many of Derbys youth players. Will Hughes etc?

Whos to say he also might not figure at some point in the last few games?

Maybe somebody should point him in the direction of the last " star striker " to have his head turned by agents from our club ,
and tell him maybe the grass isn't always greener , if the story is in fact true , highly doubt it though .

The thing is, Slew's career has gone to shit, but he'll be a very wealthy young man now. So perhaps you could say he's done very well for himself after all?

The thing is, Slew's career has gone to shit, but he'll be a very wealthy young man now. So perhaps you could say he's done very well for himself after all?

Possibly, but he's accrued his 'wealth' on a 2 or 3 year contract, had he took his time, worked with Utd's coaches, he could have developed and progressed into a top quality striker. Then he would have received a far greater wage for a much longer period of time and financially set up for life.

Money aside, he could have enjoyed a career at a far higher standard had he been patient, in reality how many games has he actually played for Blackburn and where is he now?

He may currently be wealthy in terms of the average man in the street, but I doubt he will be in twenty years time and that is the point, isn't it?

Last edited:

Any kid who doesn't want to play for Clough isn't a kid worth keeping.

Possibly, but he's accrued his 'wealth' on a 2 or 3 year contract, had he took his time, worked with Utd's coaches, he could have developed and progressed into a top quality striker. Then he would have received a far greater wage for a much longer period of time and financially set up for life.

Money aside, he could have enjoyed a career at a far higher standard had he been patient, in reality how many games has he actually played for Blackburn and where is he now?

He may currently be wealthy in terms of the average man in the street, but I doubt he will be in twenty years time and that is the point, isn't it?

He signed a 4 year contract back in 2011 when Blackburn were in the PL. Average PL wages then were around £600K a year. If we assume Slew got half of that, that's £300K a year = £1.2 million over 4 years - after tax, probably around £600K over 4 years.

Very nice for an 18 year old, but hardly life changing.

Hmm no evidence, no quotes, no bids... I smell bullshit! In fact, not necessarily, these clubs are probably 'keeping tabs' on him. However, this is a non-story, as Arsenal for example, will be 'keeping tabs' on thousands of players around the world. I hate this kind of tripe journalism.

I am just waiting for Diego to go, he is obviously a talent but I don't think we will see much of him in his United career. I do hope we try and achieve as much as possible for him, but if he was to leave us at 18 I don't think he will be doing his career any favours.

Signing for Juve is great for him, he will be playing for one of the biggest teams in the world but realistically will he get a chance? We see so many youngsters sign for the world elite teams and never get played. I can imagine its hard for a young lad to resist temptation when a team like Juve show interest, hopefully he is receiving the right advice from his family and agent to keep him grounded.

In Clough we trust.

His other consideration may be to live in Milan as opposed to Chesterfield.
Tough choice - Hmmmmnn :rolleyes:

Clough addressed this in his prematch interview https://audioboo.fm/boos/2084024-sheff-utd-manager-nigel-clough-pre-stevenage
  • No, Juve haven't been in touch about him
  • He's currently injured
  • He needs a good preseason behind him
  • Young players that have had first team opportunities have had them on merit
  • Particular mention on the importance of not only what you do in first team training, which Diego has done, but also how you react to being sent back to the U18s and U21s afterwards - you have to maintain a high level of performance
My reading of it. Diego has been part of first team training, hasn't been picked for the squad, and then has put in some below-bar performances on his return to the U21s.

Very nice for an 18 year old, but hardly life changing.

I'd very much describe that as life changing.

I do agree, but then he might have turned down Blackburn and broken his leg the week after. If you present serious money to any lad, I don't expect him to take the long view. It's the least risk option to accept it there and then.

It's a shame but the vast gap in financial rewards between the divisions is ruining many careers.

Clough addressed this in his prematch interview https://audioboo.fm/boos/2084024-sheff-utd-manager-nigel-clough-pre-stevenage
  • No, Juve haven't been in touch about him
  • He's currently injured
  • He needs a good preseason behind him
  • Young players that have had first team opportunities have had them on merit
  • Particular mention on the importance of not only what you do in first team training, which Diego has done, but also how you react to being sent back to the U18s and U21s afterwards - you have to maintain a high level of performance
My reading of it. Diego has been part of first team training, hasn't been picked for the squad, and then has put in some below-bar performances on his return to the U21s.

He didn't stand out at all in the U18 game the day before Charlton. To be fair neither did Reed or Khan.

Lazy bollocks!

Anyone who has been around the U21 set-up for the last 12 months knows that Arsenal, Juventus and every other top club in England and Italy is keeping tabs on him. They also know he's had a very bad injury and needs to concentrate on getting back to full fitness ready for next season and what will be his defining season. There will be no move in the summer, and if he's got a modicum of sense he'll ignore all that and knuckle down to some hard work and forcing his way into the 1st team at BDTBL. He's got lucky (unlike a few from the academy in recent years) and has a manager who will give him every chance and fundamentally believes in nurturing young talent. If he's as good as most around the set-up believe, he'll get the big move eventually!

SLEW -

Since he left, Slew has played 35 games for various teams (mainly on loan), and scored 1 goal...

He's currently on loan at mighty Ross County

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jordan_Slew

Since he left, Slew has played 35 games for various teams (mainly on loan), and scored 1 goal...

It was against the Pigs though, so that counts as double at least.

Goal! - Jordan Slew - Oldham 1 - 0 Sheff WedJordan Slew gets on the score sheet with a goal from inside the area to the bottom left corner of the goal. Oldham 1-0 Sheff Wed

Not scored since 13 August 2012, he needs to change his aftershave.

Exactly. Perhaps he realised he wasn't quite as good as he was rated and thought "Christ, I'll never get a chance like this again, I'm off." I wasn't sad when he left, I'm even less sad now he's turned out to be a duffer. There is no evidence or proof that he would have improved by staying with us.

For him personally, he made the right move. He has made a lot of money from a limited amount of talent.

Lazy bollocks!

Anyone who has been around the U21 set-up for the last 12 months knows that Arsenal, Juventus and every other top club in England and Italy is keeping tabs on him. They also know he's had a very bad injury and needs to concentrate on getting back to full fitness ready for next season and what will be his defining season. There will be no move in the summer, and if he's got a modicum of sense he'll ignore all that and knuckle down to some hard work and forcing his way into the 1st team at BDTBL. He's got lucky (unlike a few from the academy in recent years) and has a manager who will give him every chance and fundamentally believes in nurturing young talent. If he's as good as most around the set-up believe, he'll get the big move eventually!

Let's hope some of these lads don't go all Jacob Mellis on us

Didn't he/his agent want out, or try to engineer a move away?

I agree btw, NC is the man to nurture and allow these lads to blossom and mature

I'd very much describe that as life changing.

I do agree, but then he might have turned down Blackburn and broken his leg the week after. If you present serious money to any lad, I don't expect him to take the long view. It's the least risk option to accept it there and then.

It's a shame but the vast gap in financial rewards between the divisions is ruining many careers.

What I meant is that it hasn't set him up for life. If he broke his leg and his football career ended at the end of his contract, he couldn't just sit back and do nowt. He would have to get a job.

What I meant is that it hasn't set him up for life. If he broke his leg and his football career ended at the end of his contract, he couldn't just sit back and do nowt. He would have to get a job.
Right, with by your calculations a large sum of money to help invest into something. Ask any kid his age if that would change their lives and they wouldn't have to think for long.

Mate of mine knows him through his relative and says bids have been accepted from Roma & Leicester and it's now down to Diego.

Heard this before Rotherham game but didn't want to disseminate as it would be obvious where the rumour came from. Suppose cats out of the bag now anyway

Mate of mine knows him through his relative and says bids have been accepted from Roma & Leicester and it's now down to Diego.

Heard this before Rotherham game but didn't want to disseminate as it would be obvious where the rumour came from. Suppose cats out of the bag now anyway

Unless you promise to bare your arse on the Town Hall steps if this is wrong then it holds no weight. Fact.

:)

Roma or Leicester.

Tough choice Diego :)

Back
Top Bottom