'Memries' Did anyone here watch United in the 1965-1966 season?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I went to most home games that season.

Imagine if we'd hung on a few months and had Mick and TC in the same side.

Obviously not the Blades Way, against John Harris's judgement they sold Mick, my hero and I was devastated.

What a player he was and how many goals would he have got with Woody and TC supplying.

I remember the Home game against Liverpool that was a great thriller. It was a 0 – 0 draw but full of thrills and the ball was cleared off the line more than once.

In the home win I think it was Alan Birchenall who scored for us – he always did well against them.

I went to see us beat Northampton away 1 – 0. One side of their ground was a cricket pitch, which was familiar. Ken Mallender scored, which was rare.

I travelled with pals from school. We were about 15 and like the “young teams” you used to get in Scotland.

We went away to the Burnley game - good pies there. We had a bit of a problem when somebody tried to set the train on fire and everybody got dumped somewhere in Cheshire.

I remember the home game against Everton, which nearly got nasty when their lot were about to attack us and we were outnumbered. A drunken Scottish guy started chucking empty beer bottles all over the place and scattered their lot.

We went away to Old Trafford, where we were on the Stretford end and very outnumbered again. Bob Widdowson played in this game but didn’t do well.

The following week we were at home to Newcastle in one of the greatest games I’ve ever seen. 2-0 down at half time, Woody scored a penalty on the hour, Mick Jones got the equaliser in the 88th and Tony Wagstaff in the last minute. We didn’t want to go home. Jones’s goal was the one I’ve told you about many times.

We dropped off over Christmas. The home defeat to Tottenham was bitter and we went for their coach after but couldn’t catch it.

We only got a home draw against Northampton, but the win over Burnley was a great one. We went for their coaches again and I got hit over the head by a banner pole. When I went to wash the blood off my head before going home to mum I was careless with my watch and had it nicked.

We went away to the Blackpool game – lots of beer.

The win over Man Utd at home was welcome but the loss against West Brom was a poor end to the season. Their lot tried to attack us but we gave them a good kicking. After the game some of them ran in to a petrol station for protection and the bloke on the pumps threatened to spray petrol over us if we didn’t go away – so we did.

Walth Snr

this was a few years too early for me. Although I was old enough to be aware of Sheffield United Football Club and had a Double-Two Shirt with red and white stripes on it, but I don't suppose that counts.

Don't remember the Badger one but way back we used to sing to that tune:

Who's that copper with the helmet on, Dixon, Dixon,
Who's that copper with the helmet on, Dixon of Dock Green,
On the beat all day, on the wife all night,
Who's that copper with the helmet on, Dixon of Dock Green.

So naive and innocent. Then there was the Woody one to Ginganggullygullywasha ( girl guide song I think!):

Alan, Alan Woodward,
Alan Woodward on the wing,
Repeat.

So innocent.
This is what I remember same tune......

We've got Alan, Alan, Alan Woodward
on the wing, on the wing
Alan
Alan Woodward
Alan Woodward on the wing
Alan
Alan Woodward Alan Woodward on the wing( repeat)

Would love to have sung this at the legends funeral.

Lost 6-5. Scorers were Jones, Hagan, Matthewson, Woodward and Birchenall

Do you happen to have the date SB?
I think this was my first ever blades game (I'd been to Yorkshire cricket games many times before this) but clambering the wooden steps in the John Street stand for a night football game under floodlights , I was hooked!

Do you happen to have the date SB?
I think this was my first ever blades game (I'd been to Yorkshire cricket games many times before this) but clambering the wooden steps in the John Street stand for a night football game under floodlights , I was hooked!
Monday 29th April 1965

Monday 29th April 1965

We had a number of testimonials over that period. Graham Shaw, CecColdwell and Hodgy as that great side was retiring. Only seemed to have had Chris Morgan in recent years as players don't seem to last the course of 10 years. Did Monty have one?

How nostalgic. Brings back memories. Short shorts, muddy pitches, amateur commentary, no TV replays of goals etc., no histrionics from the players, old grounds with standing. Notice when Fulham player takes throw there is virtually no space at side of playing area. Was surprised by the pace of the game - quite fast. I remember Bill Punton trying to beat a man. Don't think he ever succeeded when I was watching. Sadly Hodgy at the end of his career became a bit of a liability in goal.

UTB

View attachment 20155

love the boots and the long laces tied round them , touches you forget
I had this pic on my bedroom wall.
I remember collecting typhoo tea boxes which used to have pictures of various football teams on the packet. They had an offer where you posted so many in and in return you got a team photo and a rosette.
Not sure if this was the pic I got from Typhoo!

I had this pic on my bedroom wall.
I remember collecting typhoo tea boxes which used to have pictures of various football teams on the packet. They had an offer where you posted so many in and in return you got a team photo and a rosette.
Not sure if this was the pic I got from Typhoo!

yes just cropped off the typhoo bit

I also had this photo on my bedroom wall. Nowadays it's rather 'yellowed' around the sides with drawing pin holes.

I have all the other team photos from the Typhoo tea offer. The others are all pristine as they've been kept in a box with programmes and football annuals for the past 50 years.

Can't recall how many vouchers / coupons you needed to get a print but we must have shifted some tea!

(In those days it was loose leaves and not tea bags.)

Back
Top Bottom