Dane Whitehouse - An Appreciation

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Best ever game as a Blade. Remember jumping up in their North Stand when we got the first and a sea of Blades doing the same. Then walking back down into town with a Blades flag through all the traffic. The abuse from the filth was wonderful.

Meet him in Roebuck few year back ,
One of mi mates said Dane Whitehouse is at the bar
Went over shook the man’s hand , said thanks for best 6 minutes of mi life
Your goal at the death 💀 trap Dane
Although we all got fucked out soon after
We were on there kop

What’s wrong with putting someone on the deck with a fair challenge is that 9 times out of 10 you get a booking for it these days. There was a time that a team could hide its lack of footballing prowess behind an ability to physically intimidate but those days are long gone and aren’t coming back.

I saw Dane a few weeks ago after a game he was getting on the same train as me ....Rotherham way .....
I wanted to say hello but I thought fuck it ....leave him be
I was at port Vale in 97 .....I think micheal Hutchence died the same weekend.....
Absolute legend is Whitehouse
Rip Michael

Last edited:
I saw Dane a few weeks ago after a game he was getting on the same train as me ....Rotherham way .....
I wanted to say hello but I thought fuck it ....leave him be
I was at port Vale in 97 .....I think micheal Hutchence died the same weekend.....
Absolute legend is Whitehouse
Rip Michael
Dane was a top player and is a top bloke.

"What an extraordinary day at Hillsborough"......wherefore art thou Jake Wright Mk 2? Flecky was superb, Leon was, well just Leon, as was Bash.
And young Brooks was an inspiration........compare that team against the current lot, well is there any comparison? Our recruitment is woeful, and yes, someone like Danehouse would be just the uplift we could do with.

He was a great player, one of our own and genuine tragedy what happened to him and when it did.

Tell you what though, pretty much every memory on this thread is of him as a winger under Bassett. That season under Spackman (sadly when he got injured) in centre mid, he was absolutely bloody brilliant- in the form of his life and in the company of Deane, Fjortoft, McGrath etc he was best player on the pitch every week. Genuinely looked unrecognisable from the rest of his (already very good) career. The timing makes his injury even sadder.

He was a great player, one of our own and genuine tragedy what happened to him and when it did.

Tell you what though, pretty much every memory on this thread is of him as a winger under Bassett. That season under Spackman (sadly when he got injured) in centre mid, he was absolutely bloody brilliant- in the form of his life and in the company of Deane, Fjortoft, McGrath etc he was best player on the pitch every week. Genuinely looked unrecognisable from the rest of his (already very good) career. The timing makes his injury even sadder.
Yeah I remember saying to my dad at the time that his injury was a bigger blow than losing Deane and Fiortoft. With all three gone we were a shadow of the team that beat Sunderland on the first day. Agree that he seemed to be morphing into a fantastic all-round player a la latter-years Giggs when he was done.

Whitehouse was an absolute joy to watch in the Prem seasons though. Power, aggression, speed, enough skill (had a great little outside side-step and acceleration away) and, as the great man said a, “shot like a traction engine”.

Makes a huge intangible difference having a blade or two in the side (see Sharp circa ‘16-‘21). Hopefully Blaster is the next one.

Yeah I remember saying to my dad at the time that his injury was a bigger blow than losing Deane and Fiortoft. With all three gone we were a shadow of the team that beat Sunderland on the first day. Agree that he seemed to be morphing into a fantastic all-round player a la latter-years Giggs when he was done.

Whitehouse was an absolute joy to watch in the Prem seasons though. Power, aggression, speed, enough skill (had a great little outside side-step and acceleration away) and, as the great man said a, “shot like a traction engine”.

Makes a huge intangible difference having a blade or two in the side (see Sharp circa ‘16-‘21). Hopefully Blaster is the next one.
That Spackman team was a real ‘what might have been’.

Promising young manager, innovative set up, if a few other things had gone our way, like Dae not getting injured and the Board not shitting themselves, it would have been a very interesting era.

As well as losing Deano and Fjortoft to transfers, plus Dane Whitehouse to injury, we also lost out on Paul McGrath when his knees finally gave up. Keep those four (and fit? ), I'm pretty sure promotion would have been nailed on. Then who knows where Spackman's innovative style would have taken us? Typical United though!

As well as losing Deano and Fjortoft to transfers, plus Dane Whitehouse to injury, we also lost out on Paul McGrath when his knees finally gave up. Keep those four (and fit? ), I'm pretty sure promotion would have been nailed on. Then who knows where Spackman's innovative style would have taken us? Typical United though!

Never understood why we had to sell the players off mid season.

Yep, forgot that was the same season. Without wanting to start another McGrath homage thread, it was an honor to watch him. Quinn and Vas at fullback as well. Definitely a sliding doors moment when you think of the likes of boro, Portsmouth, Wigan, and later stoke, palace, burnley going on to establish themselves in the prem for several years later.

TBF though, we’ve definitely grown as a club since then, despite the shit show this season And the wilderness years in league one. I recall that season being a surprise that we were even competing at the top of the (now) champ.

Blades took half there north stand that night . A fair bit of the south and a fair few on their kop . What a brilliant night and the double and we stopped them winning the league with the 6 points.

Blades took half there north stand that night . A fair bit of the south and a fair few on their kop . What a brilliant night and the double and we stopped them winning the league with the 6 points.
They'd only have finished 2nd if they took 6 points off United that season

Happy St Bobby Davison Day.

Blimey, was it really 32 years ago today that we beat the scum 3-1. How time flies. Last time I went to the Old Slag. Won't be back in this lifetime.

Blimey, was it really 32 years ago today that we beat the scum 3-1. How time flies. Last time I went to the Old Slag. Won't be back in this lifetime.

DW getting the first goal. Never get tired of seeing this. I was there to witness what Carlton Palmer said would never happen. We bossed them all game and Paul Rodgers had Palmer in his pocket. We did the double over a very good pig team that night. My number 1 Derby match as it was in the top division and we turned up on and off the field putting to bed the Boxing day debacle of 1979.

Thanks for the reminder. Woke up this morning and knew there was something familiar about 11 March :).

Back
Top Bottom