Cloughs management style

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

its all a bit of a mess really, the players he's brought in have mostly been poor, not added anything to the squad or constantly injured.

The fact we've chopped and changed the team so much is the reason for such unpredictable performances. We did so well last season with a settled back 4/5. This season we've used about 8 or 9 different players in the back 4 alone, its no wonder we very rarely keep a clean sheet. It's like he picks the team from a hat and hopes for the best at times. A right back and a midfielder at centre back is baffling considering the money he's had. To not know your best team at this stage of the season is criminal.

Over the months you have gone from complete faith in Clough as one of his biggest supporters to one who "doesn't know whether he is right" and having no beef if we sack him at the end of the season. You were the man I named "Board slasher and Clough clapper" right until January. You were so convinced he was labouring under severe budget constraints when he wasn't and you consistently blamed the Board instead of judging him on what he was doing. You have changed your mind and have backed off. You no longer say he will produce the goods though you rightly say he should be given to the end of the season as a matter of principle.

If we sack him at the end of the season people have every right to say he failed because he was given the biggest budget. blew over a million on a full back and spent big compared to where we are. Personally I would give him into next season no matter what but you cannot escape reality. Football is a results driven business and the results currently aren't good enough.

Before you cast stones in my direction look and point at those saying he doesn't have a plan b. Have a pop at those who said he didn't have a clue what he was doing when he put Freeman on against Coventry. Thing is, I can see the opposite point of view. I can see why people aren't happy. I understand that the football isn't good and the results (most importantly) are patchy at best. The frustration is understandable. One minute we whip Scunthorpe 4-0 and then we lose against Crewe.

By the way, until the board gave him the funds in January he was labouring under a poor budget. Now that barrier has gone. What did I post at the time? The excuses have gone with it is what I said. When situations change only an idiot doesn't see it. If we get promoted this season you still labour under your cloud of he has failed. In my opinion you cannot see the opposite opinion thus you cannot understand how someone can see that if we get promoted the team has done what it was supposed to do. I don't care if we flunk it or fly it, the net result is the same. How many times should we have been the winner and we fell at the last fence? If we fluke promotion then I would say its about our turn. People castigate Wilson but he was genuinely unlucky. Blackwell gets rocks thrown at him but again he failed on luck and a board pulling the rug from under him. I believe with a full squad including Beattie and Tonge we would have gone up over Birmingham.

My opinion is that Clough is the right man for the job so it hasn't changed, but I do understand why many would question that opinion.

If we sack him at the end of the season people have every right to say he failed because he was given the biggest budget. blew over a million on a full back and spent big compared to where we are. Personally I would give him into next season no matter what but you cannot escape reality. Football is a results driven business and the results currently aren't good enough.

Before you cast stones in my direction look and point at those saying he doesn't have a plan b. Have a pop at those who said he didn't have a clue what he was doing when he put Freeman on against Coventry. Thing is, I can see the opposite point of view. I can see why people aren't happy. I understand that the football isn't good and the results (most importantly) are patchy at best. The frustration is understandable. One minute we whip Scunthorpe 4-0 and then we lose against Crewe.

By the way, until the board gave him the funds in January he was labouring under a poor budget. Now that barrier has gone. What did I post at the time? The excuses have gone with it is what I said. When situations change only an idiot doesn't see it. If we get promoted this season you still labour under your cloud of he has failed. In my opinion you cannot see the opposite opinion thus you cannot understand how someone can see that if we get promoted the team has done what it was supposed to do. I don't care if we flunk it or fly it, the net result is the same. How many times should we have been the winner and we fell at the last fence? If we fluke promotion then I would say its about our turn. People castigate Wilson but he was genuinely unlucky. Blackwell gets rocks thrown at him but again he failed on luck and a board pulling the rug from under him. I believe with a full squad including Beattie and Tonge we would have gone up over Birmingham.

My opinion is that Clough is the right man for the job so it hasn't changed, but I do understand why many would question that opinion.

Good post except Clough's budget right from last summer was amongst the best in the league. The manager has signed around 20 players and they have cost money. He has over 30 contracted players when he said he thought squads above 22 were unwieldy and that has cost money. The prince did not take ownership of the club to starve the manager of budget at any stage. The January injection was in fact a bail-out and an admission that things had not gone to plan.

its all a bit of a mess really, the players he's brought in have mostly been poor, not added anything to the squad or constantly injured.

The fact we've chopped and changed the team so much is the reason for such unpredictable performances. We did so well last season with a settled back 4/5. This season we've used about 8 or 9 different players in the back 4 alone, its no wonder we very rarely keep a clean sheet. It's like he picks the team from a hat and hopes for the best at times. A right back and a midfielder at centre back is baffling considering the money he's had. To not know your best team at this stage of the season is criminal.

And saying that we were in for a further 3 loan players that has fallen through , and we have to take into account that a vast majority of the players only came in the JTW and still being bedded in . Not only criminal , managerial incompetence comes to mind .

7 games to go , and hand on heart , can anybody say we have a settled side , and know what our best 11 is. Don't think Clough can.

UTB

I listened to lee Johnson on PG he praised his players and realy sounded positive about his team. Paul Cook at Chesterfield a realy honest guy who is honest enough to admit his mistakes. Mr clough calls his team in public. Can't admit that he got anything wrong. Football has moved on so quickly in the last few years and I think mr clough has been left behind.

I listened to lee Johnson on PG he praised his players and realy sounded positive about his team. Paul Cook at Chesterfield a realy honest guy who is honest enough to admit his mistakes. Mr clough calls his team in public. Can't admit that he got anything wrong. Football has moved on so quickly in the last few years and I think mr clough has been left behind.

Both the Clough brothers sat on the bench with there dad from a very early age , and it will be instilled in them , there fathers management style , with both the ups and downs . Clough Junior has hid dads DNA in all things football and life . Perhaps with all the analysis , it is just as simple and straight forward as you say - He has been left behind . If so it his sad for him , the club and all associated with it . His right way , is just the wrong way , in the modern game.

UTB

I think mr clough might be the right man for another club just not us. Look at the manager who have brought us success in the not too distant past dave bassett and love him or hate him Neil warnock. They showed passion for the club. I think that's what mr clough lacks we need a manager who shows that he's bothered if we lose win or draw. He will be bothered I know but he needs to show it. We are a fantastic club with some of the best supporters in the country. We need a manager who Buys into what sheffield united are and what we want. It's just a job to mr clough.

I think mr clough might be the right man for another club just not us. Look at the manager who have brought us success in the not too distant past dave bassett and love him or hate him Neil warnock. They showed passion for the club. I think that's what mr clough lacks we need a manager who shows that he's bothered if we lose win or draw. He will be bothered I know but he needs to show it. We are a fantastic club with some of the best supporters in the country. We need a manager who Buys into what sheffield united are and what we want. It's just a job to mr clough.

I do think Clough has a boat load of passion and self belief . Its the football decisions i am struggling with , and i think so is he. We have not got long to wait . It may be all over in May .

UTB

There's so much that's wrong with your assessment I wouldn't know where to begin. I wonder if you've ever been to a game, let alone seen how Clough responds during a match? As for whether he buys into what we want, I doubt his wants are any different to the club's. They're entwined, inseparable, and mutual, I think that's more than enough to confirm his passion for SUFC.

Clough's latest pearl of wisdom is to moan about the fans on radio this morning ................... says he is sick of knee jerk reactions to defeats. I could understand that it it was once or twice but we have been consistently losing to poor teams all season in fact that is the only thing that is consistent about us these days.

Ah well when the manager decides to blame the fans for his failings you know it is getting near to the end for him.

As it is with any manager.

The worst managers are the fecking know alls, bully,hovercraft on your shoulder the whole time,
The best managers are the communicators, teacher, enabler, the captain and supporter.

Compare and contrast Nigel Chough and Sir Dave Brailsford.

I'll ask again do you seriously believe their is one autocratic manager bullying manager that is successful in modern English football?

The worst managers are the fecking know alls, bully,hovercraft on your shoulder the whole time,
The best managers are the communicators, teacher, enabler, the captain and supporter.

Compare and contrast Nigel Chough and Sir Dave Brailsford.

I'll ask again do you seriously believe their is one autocratic manager bullying manager that is successful in modern English football?
So many words for no sense whatsoever.

I personally think Nigel drop a clanger at the beginning of the season and like a lot on here underestimated third division football..
After the way he sailed up the league last season it all looked like a walk over this, it wasn't and he's been trying to catch up ever since....

Both the Clough brothers sat on the bench with there dad from a very early age , and it will be instilled in them , there fathers management style , with both the ups and downs . Clough Junior has hid dads DNA in all things football and life . Perhaps with all the analysis , it is just as simple and straight forward as you say - He has been left behind . If so it his sad for him , the club and all associated with it . His right way , is just the wrong way , in the modern game.

UTB

Why do you relate to Brian Clough's management style with the implication it would not survive the test of time? We are not talking about Don Revie, George Graham or even John Harris. Clough senior was one of the greatest man managers ever, unauthodox, minimal contact with his players, just kept the game simple for them and gave them signals when they did things right. He signed character rather than skill necessarily, all about the team and the blend of players with each other.

Brian Clough had charisma and flouted it to the fans, the players and the media. Nigel does not have charisma. Comparisons are stupid just because he is his son. Brian Clough was a one-off.

John Robertson said he knew when he was playing well, his manager gave him the odd thumbs up. When he was playing badly he never looked at him but they noth knew. Brian Clough did not remonstrate with his players from the touchline at all. He once took a deckchair to the touchline in a Champions League Final.

"robotic, predictable, one dimensional......risk averse" See one game you've seen them all. They can be easy on the eye, eg Baxter, Basham, Murphy, Flynn, all can play football but ultimately its a failure and Cloughie will be judged on that.

I bet we get spawny in the play -offs , fluke our way to the final, get outplayed and win by a last minute goal !
That's the best we can hope for now

I personally think Nigel drop a clanger at the beginning of the season and like a lot on here underestimated third division football..
After the way he sailed up the league last season it all looked like a walk over this, it wasn't and he's been trying to catch up ever since....

I agree with this. I think we should certainly keep Clough until the end of his contract because I do think he has been taken by surprise by the reality of what league one actually entails. I don't think he's a bad manager and I certainly think he builds strong foundations for the future wherever he has been. This season has been a disappointment, but I think if we don't go up through the play-offs this year, we will absolutely fly next year. The problem is the fact that the easily led have been told by the mouthy numpty know alls, that everything he does is shit and so will not support him whatever happens. Apparently according to them even if he gets us promoted this year he needs to go! That's the thing that makes me the most depressed about some of our supporters.

I agree with this. I think we should certainly keep Clough until the end of his contract because I do think he has been taken by surprise by the reality of what league one actually entails. I don't think he's a bad manager and I certainly think he builds strong foundations for the future wherever he has been. This season has been a disappointment, but I think if we don't go up through the play-offs this year, we will absolutely fly next year. The problem is the fact that the easily led have been told by the mouthy numpty know alls, that everything he does is shit and so will not support him whatever happens. Apparently according to them even if he gets us promoted this year he needs to go! That's the thing that makes me the most depressed about some of our supporters.
laughing-man-2.jpg

If you've got a different point of view then state it. Don't diminish what my view is by silly cartoons. I'm prepared to listen to what you've got to say but you have to enter into debate. That's the way forums work best.

If you've got a different point of view then state it. Don't diminish what my view is by silly cartoons. I'm prepared to listen to what you've got to say but you have to enter into debate. That's the way forums work best.
The problem is the fact that the easily led have been told by the mouthy numpty know alls, that everything he does is shit and so will not support him whatever happens. Apparently according to them even if he gets us promoted this year he needs to go! That's the thing that makes me the most depressed about some of our supporters.

Looks like you have already made your mind up, I'm not laughing at your views on how we will do if we stick with Clough as such (although you maybe have guessed I don't agree) but really classing others who don't share you view as "mouthy numpty know alls" is laughable and don't do much for your argument.

Back
Top Bottom