Clough: We're a work in progress - not a failure without promotion

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Not sure of the number of weak willed lily livered, sniveling whingers and whiners that we have tended to 'follow' the Blades but would you do all the rest of the Blades fans a favour by not coming to BDTBL on Thursday - Whatever the expectation was at the start of the season we now have it all to do starting Thursday and only a positive reaction from the crowd will help! UTB - Lets go to Swindon on a high !
Quite right Fiery.

Which makes these words coming from the manager a bit perturbing. How about a positive reaction from him? Instead of these wishy washy 'losing the playoffs wouldn't be a failure' type comments when he should be firing up the squad (and the fanbase) with a bit swinging from the fences "we can do this" type of attitude...

Some woefully inconsistent views between the supposed negative fans and the managers direct comments going on here.

The way I see it - we know we've been short of a CB, we know we've missed a goal scorer for much of the season, the midfield hasn't been settled. All very true.

But it doesn't automatically follow that if these things were sorted from day one we would necessarily be up already. There are 23 other teams who are all massive variables (I'm not trying to teach anybody to sucks eggs here btw). So who's to say we wouldn't be in the same place now with another 3 quality signings? Brayfords signing for example was greeted by an almost universal wank fest, and even when he was playing in his preferred position doesn't appear to have had the same affect he did last year

What I'm trying to say here, badly, is it isn't as straight forward as fitting twin carbs, adding a bigger exhaust and slamming your splitty to make your van go faster.

(man that's an awful analogy.....)

Yes, Clough! He's signed a boatload of players and now he says he's not sure the squad he assembled isn't even good enough for League 1. Great rallying cry just before the first leg of the PO semi; and you say the supporters are negative.

Some of the supporters are very negative. This seems pretty clear. At the moment ot all seems very heightened presumably by nerves. Fwiw logically his doesn't mean the management can't join the fun and be negative too.

...but I don't think they are.

There's more than one management style. Tub-thumping and chest-beating might have its place -but I imagine it wears pretty thin after 60 odd games unless your manager has a particular gift for it.

So some adopt an alternative approach, encouraging the players, and more generally relying on their intrinsic motivation.

I can't imagine the wildly successful Spain teams were performing war dances before their Cup Finals.

It's a hell of a statement to put out there on the run up to the play offs.

Motivational?

How are the players expected to react to his statements?

It's not addressed to the players. It's an open, honest answer to a straight question.

The players will have their instructions and their motivation.

I do think there is room for improvement in this area.

Reading a sober assessment of the season as though it's meant to be a do or die team talk seems wide of the mark.

Also it's just this type of straight answer to a straight question that politicians and public figures are criticised for not giving. Damned if you do. Damned if you don't.

I don't give a monkeys what Nigel Clough says.

I'm guna be in the pub,then the ground and I'm guna be rooting for a United victory.

I went to three funerals in the first 2 months of this year. That's a disaster losing in the play offs is not.

Football teams are always a work in progress and wherever we are in the league structure it all starts again in August with renewed hopes and optimism.

Hope you are right Pedro . We will all be there tomorrow , but Clough does shoot himself in the foot .or make a rod for his own back sometimes.

Lets hope it is a bit of kid - ology and psychology going on. Still think we will win the play offs , but even with being pro Clough , its hard not to get frustrated with the fella .

UTB

I disagree about making a rod for his own back. You can't go around second guessing the reactions of some, er, enthusiastic sections of the fan base.

Ok, you can, but I for one qm very glad he doesn't.

Speak as you find.

The alternative is to be suffocated by zero-content PR fluff.

UTB

We are going to win it easy Swindon are shit

if Clough said that , all Swindon would have to do is say here lads look at this
this way they think oooh they dont fancy it
its reverse psychology

Bet they're glad about pumping £10 million in to the club with fans like you around. They'll decide when enough is enough. All behaviour like this will do is make them want to fuck off and leave us skint again.

Yes, made a big difference hasn't it ?, or do we just like to act like we're constantly skint ?.

Not sure of the number of weak willed lily livered, sniveling whingers and whiners that we have tended to 'follow' the Blades but would you do all the rest of the Blades fans a favour by not coming to BDTBL on Thursday - Whatever the expectation was at the start of the season we now have it all to do starting Thursday and only a positive reaction from the crowd will help! UTB - Lets go to Swindon on a high !

I have no doubt that the vast majority of the so called whingers that come on here Fiery, get behind the team come match day, but, if it makes you feel better to think otherwise. I believe that everyone who posts on this board wants to see us succeed.

Yes, made a big difference hasn't it ?, or do we just like to act like we're constantly skint ?.

Depends how you look at it. I think the future will be good if they stick around. It's just not happening as quickly as it probably ought to have done.
No big deal, we'll just have to wait for better times whether it's with Clough or not. I doubt it will get significantly worse.

Quite right Fiery.

Which makes these words coming from the manager a bit perturbing. How about a positive reaction from him? Instead of these wishy washy 'losing the playoffs wouldn't be a failure' type comments when he should be firing up the squad (and the fanbase) with a bit swinging from the fences "we can do this" type of attitude...

Some woefully inconsistent views between the supposed negative fans and the managers direct comments going on here.
is the players and manager

Yep, poor Fiery,
So blinded he is, and so dismissive of anyone that has a bad word to say about United that he cant see the most negative thing about this club is the players and manager. Not the fans.
It seems that negativity can ooze out of every pore of the club but as long as the fans stand about clapping and banging the tarpaulin bit at the back of the kop everything will be fantastic

is the players and manager

Yep, poor Fiery,
So blinded he is, and so dismissive of anyone that has a bad word to say about United that he cant see the most negative thing about this club is the players and manager. Not the fans.
It seems that negativity can ooze out of every pore of the club but as long as the fans stand about clapping and banging the tarpaulin bit at the back of the kop everything will be fantastic

Complete and utter garbage !
I am far from a clapper and have questioned the heart and balls of the players many times this year yet we have finished 5th in the league which gives us the right to compete in the play offs against other theams that have equally failed to get automatic promotion !
Now is not the time to say a bad word, now is the time to get behind the team tomorrow night and raise the roof to give the team the backing they may need to succeed!
If and only IF we fail, then is the time to question the manager ! For what its worth I think the team has massively under achieved and should have got automatic promotion but they haven't achieved automatic promotion, but neither did Rotherham last year yet they are playing Championship football next year when Blackpool, Wigan and Millwall aren't ! Funny old world Saint..................................... as Greavsie used to say !!!

Here's a thought... Maybe just maybe Nigel knows the squad's mentality better than any of us and knows that the best way to get us up is to take the pressure off them?

Complete and utter garbage !
I am far from a clapper and have questioned the heart and balls of the players many times this year yet we have finished 5th in the league which gives us the right to compete in the play offs against other theams that have equally failed to get automatic promotion !
Now is not the time to say a bad word, now is the time to get behind the team tomorrow night and raise the roof to give the team the backing they may need to succeed!
If and only IF we fail, then is the time to question the manager ! For what its worth I think the team has massively under achieved and should have got automatic promotion but they haven't achieved automatic promotion, but neither did Rotherham last year yet they are playing Championship football next year when Blackpool, Wigan and Millwall aren't ! Funny old world Saint..................................... as Greavsie used to say !!!

The players have to take the initiative , responsibility and lead by example . They play for United we follow United . Even when we have another set of players putting the red and white shirt on , we will still follow United.

Blades fate rests on there shoulders not ours.

UTB

"I don't think we're finished in numbers and in terms of who we need for the squad for this league never mind the one above."

Christ, how many players wouldl he have to sign to have a squad ready for League 1?

How many players can we have? Clough planning on changing us to an American football team?

Starting to think the bloke is a total joke. If you gave Eddie Howe this squad we'd not loose a game all season

Just about sums the man up for me......get rid, in my opinion we have gone backwards under Clough and at best are no better off than we were 2 years ago at this stage about to go into the play-off semi's with Yeovil. CLOUGH OUT.
Backwards under clough would have resulted in league 2, I fail to see how fighting for promotion the following season is the big catastrophe SOME are suggesting. I understand the frustration folk are feeling as I like nearly everyone thought this year we would destroy this league but it just hasn't happened. Whatever happens clough deserves next season, last year he showed what he can do and he still may do the job this season yet. Keep the faith

On the day this team can perform they've shown it with the cup games and a handful of league games if that side turns up we will do it.
Go out as though we want it that's all I ask.
Let's go to Swindon with a good lead

Backwards under clough would have resulted in league 2, I fail to see how fighting for promotion the following season is the big catastrophe SOME are suggesting. I understand the frustration folk are feeling as I like nearly everyone thought this year we would destroy this league but it just hasn't happened. Whatever happens clough deserves next season, last year he showed what he can do and he still may do the job this season yet. Keep the faith

Couldn't disagree more, another one blinded by the acceptance of mediocrity. Under Wilson/Morgan 2 years ago we were exactly where we are now yet Clough has had significant funds made available, free reign to build his own squad and not been forced to sell anyone. He has failed to address 2 key positions, (centre half and centre forward) and the style of football is similar to the turgid shite served up under Robson.

You are right on one thing, we should have destroyed this league. We haven't and with the resources Clough has had at his disposal we have gone backwards. The only way he deserves next season is if we some how manage to negotiate the play-offs, otherwise he has to go.

Couldn't disagree more, another one blinded by the acceptance of mediocrity. Under Wilson/Morgan 2 years ago we were exactly where we are now yet Clough has had significant funds made available, free reign to build his own squad and not been forced to sell anyone. He has failed to address 2 key positions, (centre half and centre forward) and the style of football is similar to the turgid shite served up under Robson.

You are right on one thing, we should have destroyed this league. We haven't and with the resources Clough has had at his disposal we have gone backwards. The only way he deserves next season is if we some how manage to negotiate the play-offs, otherwise he has to go.
He had to sell maguire and most of the significant funds as you put it were only made available following 2 years of cup runs. I haven't accepted mediocrity, I have merely accepted that to build a good long term future for our club then it may take time

Goo -on Fiery, yer know you want to say it ............................ goo-on say it. If we lose it will all be the fans fault ;)

If we do lose then the blame lays fairly and squarely on the management and players !
I am only blaming the fans for their lack of support when it is most needed !
I have often blamed the players for lack of heart and no balls - could be applied to many of our so called fans !

Back
Top Bottom