Christmas Games

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Mad Mick

Reaction score
So we have Wigan away, Coventry at home and then away to Blackpool and QPR.
It's great to be in the top two with a cushion, but I've always said once the holiday fixtures are out of the way
We can really start to see where we might finish. I'm frankly amazed we are second after all the injuries we have had.
I would have taken the top 6. But now with all the injured players coming back, it is looking really really good.
Of the 4 we have to play QPR look the toughest, but they are going through an awful spell. Wigan and Blackpool we should on paper win. But we are talking
Sheffield United. Coventry looks the toughest based on recent results, but we are at home. I'm going for the following:
Wigan 0-2 Blades
Blades 2-2 Coventry
Blackpool 1-3 Blades
QPR 1-2 Blades
10 points may be a bit optimistic.
What do you think?

If offered 9 points from that set of fixtures, I'd take it right now. Whilst on paper they aren`t the toughest fixtures, 3/4 away from home makes it a tricky run.

Then we have 4 of the next 6 at home.

Get 20+ points from those 10 game in total and we'll be well set for the last 14 games.

It's great to be in the top two with a cushion, but I've always said once the holiday fixtures are out of the way
We can really start to see where we might finish. I'm frankly amazed we are second after all the injuries we have had.
I would have taken the top 6. But now with all the injured players coming back, it is looking really really good.
Of the 4 we have to play QPR look the toughest, but they are going through an awful spell. Wigan and Blackpool we should on paper win. But we are talking
Sheffield United. Coventry looks the toughest based on recent results, but we are at home. I'm going for the following:
Wigan 0-2 Blades
Blades 2-2 Coventry
Blackpool 1-3 Blades
QPR 1-2 Blades
What do you think?
12 points and no less.

Look what we did in 18/19 and how that lead to us getting promoted. Those wins against Derby, Blackburn and Wigan were the springboard we needed, and we're in a better position, with a better squad. If we don't win the league this year, it's a failure.

Wigan 0-2 Blades
Blades 2-2 Coventry
Blackpool 1-3 Blades
QPR 1-2 Blades
What do you think?
I don't think 7 points would be disastrous, as long as we don't pick up more injuries.
These 4 games hopefully give Berge, Lowe, McBurnie and maybe Doyle time to get sharper. If we can get back to early season form in the home games after that then we can pick up max points in 3 or 4 of those games.
20 - 22 points from the next 10 games and we are in a very good position I think.
It is all about getting players back now and getting them firing. This squad (if fit and stays together) can put a run of wins together at the 'business end' of the season and pull away from March.

Wigan 0-2 Blades
Blades 2-2 Coventry
Blackpool 1-3 Blades
QPR 1-2 Blades
What do you think?
Optimistic

12 points and no less.

Look what we did in 18/19 and how that lead to us getting promoted. Those wins against Derby, Blackburn and Wigan were the springboard we needed, and we're in a better position, with a better squad. If we don't win the league this year, it's a failure.
If we don’t win the league but come second then that is not a failure

QPR away won't be easy, new manager who might spark them into life but I'd be disappointed with less than 8 points from that run of games. We've got an easier Christmas than some I'm sure.

10 points from that and a few results in our favour and it's ours to lose with players coming back.

With a 9 day break, and then a further week until Boxing Day, we should go all guns blazing against Wigan. There'll be some rotation required at various points between now and May, but Wigan shouldn't be one of those occasions, and hopefully an extra weeks training will have helped the likes of Bogle, Lowe, Berge, McB, JLT and Doyle.

Getting a win against Wigan, where we should be well rested may well mean that a draw down at QPR (our 3rd match in a week) becomes a good result. Anything less than a win next Monday already puts us on the back foot a little, in terms of points targets.

Wigan 0-2 Blades
Blades 2-2 Coventry
Blackpool 1-3 Blades
QPR 1-2 Blades
What do you think?
I thought with the set of fixtures after the last international break we’d pick up at least 12 points from 18, as it was a similar run against bottom half teams, I think we picked up 4… we can’t be doing that again, we need 9-10-points to keep up and maintain that cushion to to third.

We aren’t usually good against Blackpool I’d take a point based on previous outings perhaps I’m being pessimistic but we’re in a good league position so a point away from home is a good point in my book.

Depends how many players are available. If there's quite a few then Monopoly is a good shout. Other than that its Scrabble or Risk which can involve a few others unless you prefer cards.

Depends how many players are available. If there's quite a few then Monopoly is a good shout. Other than that its Scrabble or Risk which can involve a few others unless you prefer cards.

Ticket to Ride

Carcasonne Scrabble Agricola
Codenames Twister

Azul Settlers of Catan Sushi Go

Qwirkle Yahtzee

(Scrabble if fit to play, if not bring in Boggle)

Too many teams seem to hit the high notes playing the Blades.
Too many teams having a good spell just when we are due to play them?

Almost any team can cause an upset, but for once I am optimistic, despite games agains clubs that bother me for different reasons.

Boro
Sunderland
Coventry
QPR
Millwall
Wigan
Preston

Blackburn WTF?

Any team who tries to snuff Norwood out of the game?

We won’t win all 4. I’ll go with 8 points. Drawing against Coventry and Blackpool.

I'd be very happy with 3 wins - which will put us on a nice round 50 points.
That's the target for the dressing room lads, let's breach the 50 mark for the start of the year.

Wigan is key. We were a bit rusty and inconsistent on Saturday. If we are on it on Monday, I think we will win all 4.
12pts isn't impossible, but by laws of probability, it's unlikely.

Although if we DID get 12pts there's a very strong chance we'd have opened up a 10+ points gap to 3rd place. Imagine that 🙏🧘

Quite possible Norwich and Watford (the realistic chasers in my opinion) both get 7 or 8 points in their 4 matches before the FA Cup weekend. N.B. Norwich play Watford on 02/01/23.

7 wouldn't be a huge disaster, but I'd fancy us to take at least 9 from those games.

There's always the danger of 'new manager bounce' with Wigan and QPR to come, so those are the two fixtures where I think we'd be most likely to drop points.

Back
Top Bottom