Chris Wilder

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Judging by when you registered and how often you post, you've probably missed a lot of happenings around these parts, and your life is probably better for not having wasted hours on here like some of us.

That's to your credit, so not quite the bear brain you claim :)

Thank you to those who gave me an explanation. I have a couple of hundred posts on the Blades Mad forum and although I now access both forums, I do find posts from supporters of the other team in Sheffield on The other forums irritating to say the least. The fact that it doesn't appear to happen on here is good.
A couple of things you might find of some interest. Firstly, my grandfather who owned a fruit shop on BL started supporting the Blades in the 1890s. My father, me and my sons all followed suit. At the FA cup semi final against Hull my grandson became the fifth generation Blade from our family, we have now supported the Blades over three different centuries. Once a Blade always a Blade is certainly a true saying.
Secondly, related to the wearing of the shirt from the dark side. A few years ago I persuaded the then chairman of Colchester United to be the guest speaker at a presentation evening where I worked. That day it was my birthday and after he had spoken he presented me with a Colchester United shirt with my name on the back. I graciously accepted the gift but had to explain that as it was blue and white stripes I would be unable to put it on as it would result in me being sick. I have never worn the shirt to this day.UTB

Thank you to those who gave me an explanation. I have a couple of hundred posts on the Blades Mad forum and although I now access both forums, I do find posts from supporters of the other team in Sheffield on The other forums irritating to say the least. The fact that it doesn't appear to happen on here is good.
A couple of things you might find of some interest. Firstly, my grandfather who owned a fruit shop on BL started supporting the Blades in the 1890s. My father, me and my sons all followed suit. At the FA cup semi final against Hull my grandson became the fifth generation Blade from our family, we have now supported the Blades over three different centuries. Once a Blade always a Blade is certainly a true saying.
Secondly, related to the wearing of the shirt from the dark side. A few years ago I persuaded the then chairman of Colchester United to be the guest speaker at a presentation evening where I worked. That day it was my birthday and after he had spoken he presented me with a Colchester United shirt with my name on the back. I graciously accepted the gift but had to explain that as it was blue and white stripes I would be unable to put it on as it would result in me being sick. I have never worn the shirt to this day.UTB
I was thinking of doing a post asking if any Blades could trace their supporting heritage back to our early days. I suspected there had to be some who can say supporting the Blades has been in the family since we started.
Furthest I could get back was my Grandad (b.1903) who watched all the local teams and his sister who was given some kind of recognition by United for her loyalty. Unfortunately, my Grandad passed away a long time ago so I can't find out exactly what the story with his sister was, I just remember him telling me about it when I was a kid.

My Mum and dad met the team in La Manga this summer, mum had her photo with Billy and Dad spent a long time chatting with Wilder and Dad came away from his conversation with speaking very highly of him and in a similar way to the OP of brownie

The interviews with Wilder are also so different. I can never work out if he likes doing the media work, but he has a certain charisma about him, a passion which I can only assume doesn't waiver whether he's talking to the Media, a fan or one of his players.

Wilder, put simply, 'gets United', by that i mean that he knows what makes the Club tick, similar to Warnock and I guess something which Bassett redefined when he joined United. The comments in the OP about how he is in charge makes sense, he's obviously working within a budget and framework, is accountable to the Owners (and fans), but he makes you feel that he is in control. He's obviously building

One thing i noticed in his interviews is the facial expressions, he doesn't hide anything and its quite amusing to watch, because his direct responses reflect the facial expressions perfectly.

Don't want to speak too soon, but get a feeling that we're moving forward and upwards with Wilder in charge. I'd go into battle for him.
hows things going son

I'm too young to remember Wilder as a Blades player much, but he's utterly won me over as a manager so far. Honest, straightforward and it's so clear how much he loves this club and wants to take us back where we want to be. It's really starting to feel like we're getting Sheffield United back after the last couple of years of utter shite that we've been served up.

I've been let down too many times to really believe that we are going up (yet), but the more he carries on like he has been, the more I will become certain that he is the man for us.

NA NA NA NA etc etc...

We’ve had two convincing wins – Shrewsbury away and Port Vale at home. Our five other wins have been by the odd goal against teams that we didn’t outclass.

We’ve also failed to beat Rochdale, Fleetwood, Millwall Scunthorpe and Bolton over 90 minutes. Oh yeah and we lost at home to Crewe in the League Cup.

We’re having a good patch. But we’re going to lose again this season. We might lose two or three on the bounce. It would be great if we ran away with the league, but let’s not get carried away. The signs are positive at the moment, but we don’t have strength in depth. We’ve been on good runs under Adkins, Wilson and Clough, but we soon became shit again.

Wilder says the right things and I’d love him to succeed but the jury’s still out.

I met Chris Wilder in the railway one Saturday afternoon just after he finished playing
He didn't have the look of a man who understood or comprehended anything that day
He was fucking legless

the legend that was Brian Clough was known to like the odd drink
as did Alex Ferguson
hes following some great examples

on the negative side Brian Robson turned up for work legless
I dont think Chris has a bottle of scotch for breakfast like he did though

Last edited:
My younger Brother was a member of the Yorkshire team last night and he spoke with wilder. I could not agree more with the OP. The style of football we play is exactly what we all want to see. Tiempo, hard work, pressing, passion and crucially quality passing play. I'm loving it, UTB!!

Whereabouts in Bramall Lane and what were the years?

I can find out the number on BL by emailing my brother and I will reply to you tomorrow. I don't know the exact dates he owned the shop but my dad was born there in 1914. My grandad passed away a couple of years after the end of the First World War from the effects of the war, like dysentery, so even my dad didn't really know him. He too has now passed on, bless him. I know this much, they will still be supporting the Blades.

We’ve had two convincing wins – Shrewsbury away and Port Vale at home. Our five other wins have been by the odd goal against teams that we didn’t outclass.

We’ve also failed to beat Rochdale, Fleetwood, Millwall Scunthorpe and Bolton over 90 minutes. Oh yeah and we lost at home to Crewe in the League Cup.

We’re having a good patch. But we’re going to lose again this season. We might lose two or three on the bounce. It would be great if we ran away with the league, but let’s not get carried away. The signs are positive at the moment, but we don’t have strength in depth. We’ve been on good runs under Adkins, Wilson and Clough, but we soon became shit again.

Wilder says the right things and I’d love him to succeed but the jury’s still out.

Agree with all of that but regards the results/ performances
There has been a steady up ward curve through out the season.
All the poor results you've states were all at the beginning of the season.
Take Jake Wright. He joined us over 2 months ago and has yet to be on a losing side.

I agree we have been on good runs under Clough and Adkins but under those managers we've NEVER been top 2 quality. Under those managers at our best we looked a playoff side.

Whereas recently we've totally outclassed and out battled Port Vale and Shrewsbury.

Port Vale is the best I've seen us play for 5 years, play like that and we'll definitely end up champions.

282 BL. He was certainly there when he enlisted for the army in 1914 as I have a copy of his enlistment document. He was dead by 1918 and my gran and her kids had moved by 1920 to Renton Street. I don't know how long before 1914 he lived at 282 BL but his army records say that he was a fruiterer which would concur with my gran saying they had a fruit shop.

Excellent post Brownie

Confirms what I've always thought CW to be about

I was convinced when he arrived and I'm even more convinced now that he is the right man for our club. Nowt's guaranteed, but in CW we give ourselves the best possible chance of bringing some success back to this football club

Just make sure Brownie Jnr remains a blade

I remember pulling my lad a number of years back. He was/is a blade but at a tender age he kept asking for different football shirts. Arsenal, Chelski, Barca. In the end I just had to draw the line and told him in no uncertain terms and in the sternest possible way while pointing my finger at him, that if he ever walked in this house wearing a Wendy shirt, his bags would be packed. He was 6 at the time :)
Which is exactly how it should be

KM has found the man he's been looking for after ten years of trying. Now stick with him for as long as it takes because he will succeed.

You could be right mate ....... but when our ambitious chairman says no to Tufty in January when he wants to buy a couple of quality players to get us up this season ....... I hope Tufty takes a breath, punches him in the face and gives him a fine kick in the balls ........ followed by repeating the request for funds in a menacing tone :rolleyes:;):):)

UTB & FTP

282 BL. He was certainly there when he enlisted for the army in 1914 as I have a copy of his enlistment document. He was dead by 1918 and my gran and her kids had moved by 1920 to Renton Street. I don't know how long before 1914 he lived at 282 BL but his army records say that he was a fruiterer which would concur with my gran saying they had a fruit shop.
Interesting. Wonder where is 282 BL? Wonder how much longer the fruit shop remained there

I wasn't convinced when Chris Wilder took the job... But then I looked at his managerial statistics.. 14 years and 700 games.. Not once been sacked.. His previous job to us he took a team from the bottom of the league and got them promoted.. Players weren't even getting bastard paid for part of that season!!!!..

And then I was fortunate enough to meet him just after he took the job (down at wembley... Him and Lord Bassett together!!)..... Had a quick chat with LB.. Thanked him for the memories and the liver damage on that day at Leicester!!!

Then had 5 minutes with CW... I was convinced then that he was the man to get us going again!!.. He knows exactly what we as fans want and expect and won't take any less...
I believe that Our chairman trusts CW 100% and will deliver for our manager in January.. Whatever he needs.....He didn't force CW to sell our two Starlets.. He might have rubbed his hands together when CW told him his plans though...

That 5 minute conversation I had with him made me feel so proud knowing our club was going to get its identity back.. No more Hammonds.. Woolfords. ....

Interesting. Wonder where is 282 BL? Wonder how much longer the fruit shop remained there

If Google maps is to be believed (yeah I know!), it's somewhere very close to the Pelican crossing just up from the Premier shop on the corner of Cherry St.

Very sensible and thoughtful comments from Tufty after the Bradford game ........ I am actually becoming hopeful that we have a young manager here who could become a very good manager for us if he's given the financial support from the Board and the backing of the supporters ......

UTB & FTP

I think it's obvs Wilder has a ruthless streak - looking at what happened in the summer (which was exactly what was needed), and how he sorted the goalkeeper situation a few weeks after giving George a new contact.

What I like now is that the team is getting more settled, and he is allowing the good 'football' players (Fleck, Duffy) to play.

He definitely understands what is needed - that's been obvious with his interviews and signings. Good stuff so far.

DO NOT ANSWER THIS QUESTION!!!!!

Silent will have a list of fruit that wasn't quite up to the mark (dates (no pun), matches, fruit purchased, alleged defect) and will be looking for an explanation, if not an actual refund.
Proceed with care.

Back
Top Bottom