Chesterfield 0 United 2 - brief review

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Deadbat

Reaction score
Don't normally do friendlies but chance to meet a good work pal who is a 'Town' fan meant me and the lad went down the road.

A lovely hour or so in the Neptune Beer Emporium pre game with my mate and his Chezzy fans (a lovely, friendly bunch) and the game was sandwiched with similiar in the Batch House - opposite the game which is a bit of a mini cutlery works in Kelham Island (did see a pathetic fight outside here which is odd as Chezzy and Blades generally seem to get on!). Had some lovely real ales with a few Thornbridge. Got me back in the routine for the real thing...

As for the game, Blades had two sides of the ground and took 4,500 there or thereabouts and the game was actually delayed due to people coming in late and was a sell out for all fans.

The weather was not great both before, during and after and wildly fluctuated from warm sunshine to wind and rain and thunder. The game saw two or three periods of the latter which did not help things but the National League side opted not to put their lights on!

United fielded a much stronger team in the 2nd half than 1st half with only maybe Wes, Norwood and Egan being starter type players (maybe Lowe at a push with RND nowhere to be seen - Brewster too not ready). 2nd half we had Anel, Robinson, Berge, McBurnie and Ndiaye so almost half a team out that may start v Palace.7

The result mattered little really and we have seen last year and seasons past we have lost friendlies and gone on and done well so not sure it matters. Many of our players were only back this week (certainly the internationals) where as Chesterfield have already played 3 games - including against our city rivas - we were infinitely better according to the Chezzy lot btw.

First half was quite even and Chezzy started better and exploited our inexperienced right side but only really had one cross shot flash across the box. Bash had to cover a lot of Seriki and Brooks and the new lad Francis was ok without looking amazing. The midfield Norwood and Fleck looked way off the pace and Marsh was not really in it. His partner Osula than had three really good chances but hit the keeper with two and then put one wide. He did well in the build up to two to set up the chance and has pace and can run down the channels but his finishing/composure needs a lot of work. We looked sloppy first half but still had chances to lead.

Second half we changed the entire team (they only made a few changes I think and made a lot of theirs on the hour - 65 mark) and instantly improved with the tempo and control of the ball. Berge got on it, Neal was competent and Osborn got in good positons down the left. Chesterfield seemed unable to known whether to come out or stay in in terms of the offside trap and we had threatened to get in before we did and Ndiaye showed lovely composure to sit the keeper down and roll in. He got a great reception from the United fans from the minute he warmed up to when he came on and then scored. McBurnie in a slow game that maybe suited him but showed his technical ability and he and Ndiaye linked really well. Berge also probed well and this led to the second with McBurnie getting through and beating the offside trap and unselfishly rolled in Osborn to score. After his McBurnie missed 2 or 3 good chances - having a header saved, the keeper saving another and then a weak shot but he did look a threat. Sachdev had a chance but blazed across and we could have had more. Chesterfield had a few half chances last 10 minutes but one shot drifted wide and Davies made one save with his legs.

Overall we eased to a win and was of course more about fitness than necessasrily patterns or tactics. We had a number of youngsters playing that probably will not be close the first team squad and may even go on loan but had a smattering of experience and it showed at times. 2nd half we upped it and the control, poise, passing and decision making showed the leagues apart. Chesterfield had a go but struggled to hold up the movement and pace after the break.

The new kit looked nicer in person than the pictures - the red is really bright but looks very close to the 98 kit with Wards on it. It looked good and even the white keeper kit looked better in person.

Overall, a nice warm up for the team (and fans!) and an enjoyable day despite the changeable weather.

Not doing ratings as not really a game to slate/praise but the experienced senior lads did what they had to where as the youngsters maybe did not quite impress as much as they would have liked (Neal, trialist were ok) and we improved down both full back areas 2nd half too.

Think I am away for Rotherham but hopefully will see Stuttgart at the Lane.

I thought Marsh had a few very good contributions. He's got great ability, made space for himself and found teammates in good positions. I wonder what we plan to do with him this season.
Maybe hold him back a bit !
Really talented player we have to make sure,he's ready as still lightweight.
Hope we have him tied to a long contract! In my opinion he is the pick of the bunch by some margin.
Big Blade so hopefully he won't be in a rush to move on .
It still wrankles me the way we lost Kyle Walker ! This kid although a forward player in comparison to Kyle will be in demand when we let him out of the bag ! Tremendous abilities

the red is really bright but looks very close to the 98 kit with Wards on it. It looked good and even the white keeper kit looked better in person.

Thanks for the write up. I thought the same too it reminds me of the Wards kit.

I thought Fleck tried, Norwood disappeared and the U23s ruled the first half. Basham had a good first half too its clear he wants a stake in the PL.
Second half was nearer a fuller team and it showed. Its all about match fitness and playing together.
The biggest positive for me was no more Wilderball, no more pass pass pass pass pass pass pass pass round the box it was all direct into goal. It looked marvelous.

I thought Marsh had a few very good contributions. He's got great ability, made space for himself and found teammates in good positions. I wonder what we plan to do with him this season.
He looked very much like a good academy player who was playing against an experienced, non-league clogger. Neat touches when he had space, but unwilling or unable to compete physically.

We joked at half time that the number 5 for Chez probably just said “I’m gonna break you in two” in the first minute and he was looking for a tackle every time he got the ball with his back to goal.

Me too. I watched it on tv rather than in person and I would have said Marsh was our best player in first half. Most people will point to Osula but ultimately his job is to stick the ball in the net; which he failed to do.

He looked very much like a good academy player who was playing against an experienced, non-league clogger. Neat touches when he had space, but unwilling or unable to compete physically.

We joked at half time that the number 5 for Chez probably just said “I’m gonna break you in two” in the first minute and he was looking for a tackle every time he got the ball with his back to goal.
McAtee didn't like the intimidation afforded him at 1st,he adjusted to it given a bit of time.
Marshy will find the same treatment will be meeted out to him and will adjust to it.
Still lightweight so protection necessary for him just now.
Saw him do something which TC used to do a move that kinda tells the opponent not to try and win the ball (hard to explain just that a shuffle of his feet somehow gives him options which players fear).Will be interesting how far he can go! bags of ability and scores all types of goals,remember he is only a kid and needs time to mature.

McAtee didn't like the intimidation afforded him at 1st,he adjusted to it given a bit of time.
Marshy will find the same treatment will be meeted out to him and will adjust to it.
Saw him do something which TC used to do a move that kinda tells the opponent not to try and win the ball (hard to explain just that a shuffle of his feet somehow gives him options which players fear).Will be interesting how far he can go! bags of ability and scores all types of goals,remember he is only a kid and needs time to mature.
I wasn’t being critical, just offering the opinion that he’s got some growing up to do, the McAtee example is good, with players like Marsh though we have to pick wisely because he needs to go to a team who will use him properly and give him time to develop, not just bang it in behind for him to run onto. Hopefully there’s someone out there.

Just seen the highlights and feel my earlier criticism of Osula is probably unwarranted. Granted he didn't score but his speed made the openings for him and on another day he probably would've netted. If we have enough up front a loan to the Champs and see how he gets on, if it goes well maybe back for the second half of the season - he's got admirable power in his feet, maybe the best at the club.

Never seen him play before but he had a bit of a Peter Beardsley type player.

Usual 'first game back' syndrome and a testing ground for Hecky with great options in some areas, and paper thin in other areas.

Thought Chesterfield would have been very pleased with the first half. The new faces we had did their best but some are way below what we need for PL outings so need either offloading or loaning out. Osula's clinicalism worries me intently. Three real chances and he should have made the net bulge from two of them. Shame it took a real international to come on in the second half and show him how it's done. Bash did his best and Fleck showed in short areas but it was flat, disappinting and poor as a game of football for 45 minutes. We should have been four up at least.

Second half with Berge showing composure and McB being 'better' (but still disappointingly shithousy) we created far more but sat back on sixty at 0-2 up and settled for the win. We characteristically failed to feed the front two and played painfully safe across the pitch.

Let's see what the on the road games bring before we start pissing in our pants.

Question: Where the fuck ar RND and Brewster? Both have a fuck load of proving to do. We can't afford to carry busted squad numbers through this upcoming season.

pommpey

I still think he may end up playing deeper. He's lacking a bit if athleticism to play up to and his technical ability could suit it.

I think he'll be at Barrow or Rochdale

I wasn’t being critical, just offering the opinion that he’s got some growing up to do, the McAtee example is good, with players like Marsh though we have to pick wisely because he needs to go to a team who will use him properly and give him time to develop, not just bang it in behind for him to run onto. Hopefully there’s someone out there.
Us! he won't need to go out on loan,we can bring him along better than any loan.
He will develop doesn't need to go out to gain experience ! He will learn just ad well with us,in my opinion!

Maybe hold him back a bit !
Really talented player we have to make sure,he's ready as still lightweight.
Hope we have him tied to a long contract! In my opinion he is the pick of the bunch by some margin.
Big Blade so hopefully he won't be in a rush to move on .
It still wrankles me the way we lost Kyle Walker ! This kid although a forward player in comparison to Kyle will be in demand when we let him out of the bag ! Tremendous abilities
mmm - hold him back because he is lightweight? David Brooks was hardly filled out when played ...

Us! he won't need to go out on loan,we can bring him along better than any loan.
He will develop doesn't need to go out to gain experience ! He will learn just ad well with us,in my opinion!
He’ll never play men’s football with us. The ‘pathway’ is that these lads go on loan at varying levels for a few years before they’re considered anywhere near good enough for us. He’d get eaten alive above League 2 level in my opinion.

He’ll never play men’s football with us. The ‘pathway’ is that these lads go on loan at varying levels for a few years before they’re considered anywhere near good enough for us. He’d get eaten alive above League 2 level in my opinion.
Not always the case ! Gifted players can take the step up in there stride ! obviously need to give them some room to take on board what progress has been made. Agree most do need to go out on loan to develop ! Marsh I beleave can do it here.
Top clubs allow quality young lads out on loan because in some cases they find it tough to break into the 1st team
due to blocking by quality or international players.
City have one who made it through and he is in the England squad( not Been out on loan) it's about opportunity and Marsh who I think is a top player in the making can break through here .
Not ready for the physical demands of EFL twice a week football , cameos in the premiership gradually increasing his workload will be far better for him and us.
Not saying we treat him with kid gloves! Just giving him time to mature and grow his abilities which in my opinion will thrive more with us.
Really exciting young player would be great to see him inthe same team as Ndiah,could happen a bit this season if we can keep Illiman.

Watched on laptop so didn’t see much off the ball work, but my impression was that he needs a good roughing up in a lower division to teach him when to get rid of the ball and not overplay a situation. Looks good when he has the space and time, it’s just that he won’t have that in a top division and that’s where being caught in possession can lose a game 1-0.

Not always the case ! Gifted players can take the step up in there stride ! obviously need to give them some room to take on board what progress has been made. Agree most do need to go out on loan to develop ! Marsh I beleave can do it here.
Top clubs allow quality young lads out on loan because in some cases they find it tough to break into the 1st team
due to blocking by quality or international players.
City have one who made it through and he is in the England squad( not Been out on loan) it's about opportunity and Marsh who I think is a top player in the making can break through here .
Not ready for the physical demands of EFL twice a week football , cameos in the premiership gradually increasing his workload will be far better for him and us.
Not saying we treat him with kid gloves! Just giving him time to mature and grow his abilities which in my opinion will thrive more with us.
Really exciting young player would be great to see him inthe same team as Ndiah,could happen a bit this season if we can keep Illiman.
He’d have to be exceptional for that to be the case. I’m sure people who’ve seen more of him at youth level will know more than me but there’s nothing I saw yesterday saying “give this lad minutes in the PL this season”.

Ndiaye, McB, Jebbo, Osula, Brewster all in front of him.

For me it was definitely a game of two halves.

In the first half we were severely lacking in midfield. Norwood was practically invisible other than organising the team and barking commands and I can't recall him doing anything of note. Fleck was a mixed bag, too many times the ball went forward to him and he immediately turned around and passed backwards under no pressure. His main positive piece of play was a lovely through ball to Osula, but his effort off the ball was better. Lowe was better defensively but lacking going forward as he was often waving his arms out in the open, but there was a blue shirt between him and whoever had the ball. Instead of running into space to encourge the pass he often resembled a subbuteo figure, stood still waiting for the pass. When the pass came a blue shirt read it easily and Lowe had to pass backwards as a result. Francis was athletic and looked okay, nothing special at this stage, but stood out more than the other kids on the pitch and didn't look a 20 year old who hasn't played much and is big and strong for his age. Femriki was okay, Marsh looked lost and out of his depth for me, too many back passes or running straight into players, constantly giving the ball away. He saw a lot of it but never looked like getting forward or linking up with Osula. Brooks was our main threat from midfield and he impressed me with his pace and battling. Osula was a mixed bag of good and bad but his finishing was woeful, hopefully just rustiness as it was the first pre-season match, but he should have buried all three especially the two one on ones from some great build up play. Egan was solid but unspectacular and Wes had little to do, though there were too many long punts upfield coming straight back at us as Marsh didn't have the strength to hold onto them or win the aerial duels. I thought Basham was our best player in the first half, solid, calm and reliable. The first half was too much safety ball where we constantly passed backwards all the time and often struggled to complete two passes. Once again the age old "If Norwood doesn't play well, we don't play well" reared it's head with the captain negative with his constant backwards passing. My missus asked if we had a midfield and laughed at the idea of them facing the Premier League.

Second half we were off with a bang. Ndiaye and McBurnie linked up really well and often resembled a proper strike partnership. McBurnie won a lot of aerial battles. His lay off to Osborn was unselfish as he had every right to shoot himself, but he maybe needs to start being more selfish if he is going to be the main focal point. His back heel late on was unnecessary when he was in a position to shoot and he missed a couple of great chances. He faded a bit in the second half after Chesterfield made all their changes, and resorted in getting in players faces again. He needs to cut this out as pathetic players will throw themselves down dramatically in the Premier League and we'll concede possession through free kicks. Concentrate on being a goal scorer Oli. Ndiaye was his usual self, tricks and turns, the ball sticking to his feet. A joy to watch and he took his goal so calmly and casually it was like time stopped. He made it look so easy. Osborn was tireless for a first pre season match, covering every blade of grass without looking like a headless chicken and showing us what we lacked in the first half. An easy finish from a well timed run. His link up play with the front pair and Buyabu down the left was good. Speaking of which, I was impressed with Buyabu. He was good forwards and back and one great read saw an interception on the counter quickly turn into a wonderful cross which was annoyingly wasted. A peach of a ball. Freckleton looked comfortable at centre back along the always reliable Anel. Nothing special but nothing bad and JLT also looked solid. Anel was the better of the three on the ball with JLT resorting to Chris Morgan mode of just put it out for a throw. Davies pulled off a couple of good saves. Sachdev got into some great positions but often looked lost with the ball and frequently passed backwards as a result. He did link up with the front two a couple of times and wasted a glorious chance. Neal looked all over the place, not really doing anything with the ball and closing down players off the ball without putting tackles in. Like Marsh he looked a bit lost among better players.

Berge was immense from start to finish, playing a deeper role, tracking back and winning the ball, linking up well with other players, not being wasteful with the ball in simple passes and through balls to the strikers and full back, which could have resulted in more goals but for an inept linesman on work experience from school. He showed us what we were missing in the first half and why our midfield is currently so woefully ineffective. I'm certain it was Berge who created the corner for us from Chesterfield's corner. We cannot start next season with Berge, Norwood and Fleck. Berge yes, but can we bring in two more starters in time for Palace?

It seems OTT to do this as it was a first pre season match as the result and performance don't really matter at this stage. That said some senior players made Chesterfield look better than they were and made the game hard for us, while others made it look easy. Chesterfield looked better when they made all the changes in the second half but we still looked the more likely to score again. Man bun at the back was quite good for them and so was their number 17, who constantly drove at us with the ball, and there in lied the difference. Chesterfield's midfield frequently kept the ball and ran with it, something we failed to do other than Berge. We more than matched them and for a good 20 minutes of the second half cut through them time and time again. You wouldn't have thought this was their third pre season match and only our first, but that was the quality and influence of Berge.

The youngsters on show stood out for good and bad and others showed why loan moves will be imminent. Brooks looked like the only one who might stand a chance of making the squad on this showing, but then it was against a non-league side and against better, fitter opponents is something different. I'd like to see Buyabu again too.

An enjoyable match, schizophrenic weather and an inept linesman who could make better decisions if he stood in line with the last defender and not five yards between him and the keeper where his view is skewed. That and not flagging offside 10 seconds after the pass was made after some great play by Buyabu.

Watched on laptop so didn’t see much off the ball work, but my impression was that he needs a good roughing up in a lower division to teach him when to get rid of the ball and not overplay a situation. Looks good when he has the space and time, it’s just that he won’t have that in a top division and that’s where being caught in possession can lose a game 1-0.

Yes, but a lot of youngsters won't do more than getting rid of it, playing a safe pass, backwards, sideways and they don't help a team creating anything. If you put too many of these in a team you end up with a team struggling to create. Sure he needs to learn a few things regarding when to try things and when to not. But he does have a very exciting ability to get control of the ball, turn and look forward. Quite similar to David Brooks.

One example; Bash is on the ball and a couple of Chesterfield players are closing down his options. Osula is up front and Marsh drops deep. Bash finds Marsh with a low pass.

1689493975562.png

Marsh's touch is good, he turns, looks up and spots Fleck in a great position, despite being surrounded by three opponents:

1689494623487.png
His pass to Fleck is perfect, as is Fleck's to Osula, and Osula runs in behind:

1689494818264.png

Another situation, again Bash looks for Marsh who is drifting away from the centre halves:

1689495050711.png

Another excellent first touch enables him to turn and look up before he is challenged, and he finds Seriki running into space on the right:

1689495300816.png

A second later this is the situation:

1689495454410.png

Now compare the Chesterfield players in the first and last image. From being completely organised, having men behind the ball, comfortably awaiting our move - to panic defending, all facing their own goal, desperately rushing to get back!

Although Marsh is light weight his hold up play is excellent when he manages to get away from markers. Sure he'll get knocked off the ball by big brutes on occasions, but fans should take notice of and appreciate some of the great parts of his game. I hope he'll get more time on the pitch this pre season, and then we can make a decision on him. If we send him on loan it needs to be to the right club, someone who've seen him, play decent football and will give him the right role in the team.

Never seen him play before but he had a bit of a Peter Beardsley type player.

Yes, I mean Beardsley was a cracking player, but I agree, closest comparison made so far. Looks like a really clever SS. Do think he’s not ready, but there’s a player there!

Yeah,a bit harsh on Marsh for me,the only thing he did wrong was losing the ball in a dangerous area deep in our half,but dropped off and linked up nicely with some nice passes, and is happy to receive the ball with his back to goal or being marked or in tight areas..a lot of potential.

Would not worry me if he starts with Marsh. Was very impressive . Good stature strong with and without the ball and passed with both feet. Looked calm and unruffled

His resemblance to Rodney Marsh could see some footballer on our team sheets

Don’t really do friendlies , workouts for squad members and building up tactics and strength
Nice report DB
Although there’s a sentence you’d never thought you’d here about Mcburnie and his technical ability
Last time I saw us play Chessie was our 100 point season , strange how the two clubs have gone on , since then

Tony_Kaufman almost exactly as I saw it. Not sure what everyone else saw in marsh but, I was on row b so wasn't able to get much of a handle on the positioning etc. Was really impressed with freckleton to be honest, looked good but couldn't work out what position he was playing, would say lcb with Robinson at lwb? Again, tricky to tell from where I was sat.

I thought Marsh had a few very good contributions. He's got great ability, made space for himself and found teammates in good positions. I wonder what we plan to do with him this
Don't normally do friendlies but chance to meet a good work pal who is a 'Town' fan meant me and the lad went down the road.

A lovely hour or so in the Neptune Beer Emporium pre game with my mate and his Chezzy fans (a lovely, friendly bunch) and the game was sandwiched with similiar in the Batch House - opposite the game which is a bit of a mini cutlery works in Kelham Island (did see a pathetic fight outside here which is odd as Chezzy and Blades generally seem to get on!). Had some lovely real ales with a few Thornbridge. Got me back in the routine for the real thing...

As for the game, Blades had two sides of the ground and took 4,500 there or thereabouts and the game was actually delayed due to people coming in late and was a sell out for all fans.

The weather was not great both before, during and after and wildly fluctuated from warm sunshine to wind and rain and thunder. The game saw two or three periods of the latter which did not help things but the National League side opted not to put their lights on!

United fielded a much stronger team in the 2nd half than 1st half with only maybe Wes, Norwood and Egan being starter type players (maybe Lowe at a push with RND nowhere to be seen - Brewster too not ready). 2nd half we had Anel, Robinson, Berge, McBurnie and Ndiaye so almost half a team out that may start v Palace.7

The result mattered little really and we have seen last year and seasons past we have lost friendlies and gone on and done well so not sure it matters. Many of our players were only back this week (certainly the internationals) where as Chesterfield have already played 3 games - including against our city rivas - we were infinitely better according to the Chezzy lot btw.

First half was quite even and Chezzy started better and exploited our inexperienced right side but only really had one cross shot flash across the box. Bash had to cover a lot of Seriki and Brooks and the new lad Francis was ok without looking amazing. The midfield Norwood and Fleck looked way off the pace and Marsh was not really in it. His partner Osula than had three really good chances but hit the keeper with two and then put one wide. He did well in the build up to two to set up the chance and has pace and can run down the channels but his finishing/composure needs a lot of work. We looked sloppy first half but still had chances to lead.

Second half we changed the entire team (they only made a few changes I think and made a lot of theirs on the hour - 65 mark) and instantly improved with the tempo and control of the ball. Berge got on it, Neal was competent and Osborn got in good positons down the left. Chesterfield seemed unable to known whether to come out or stay in in terms of the offside trap and we had threatened to get in before we did and Ndiaye showed lovely composure to sit the keeper down and roll in. He got a great reception from the United fans from the minute he warmed up to when he came on and then scored. McBurnie in a slow game that maybe suited him but showed his technical ability and he and Ndiaye linked really well. Berge also probed well and this led to the second with McBurnie getting through and beating the offside trap and unselfishly rolled in Osborn to score. After his McBurnie missed 2 or 3 good chances - having a header saved, the keeper saving another and then a weak shot but he did look a threat. Sachdev had a chance but blazed across and we could have had more. Chesterfield had a few half chances last 10 minutes but one shot drifted wide and Davies made one save with his legs.

Overall we eased to a win and was of course more about fitness than necessasrily patterns or tactics. We had a number of youngsters playing that probably will not be close the first team squad and may even go on loan but had a smattering of experience and it showed at times. 2nd half we upped it and the control, poise, passing and decision making showed the leagues apart. Chesterfield had a go but struggled to hold up the movement and pace after the break.

The new kit looked nicer in person than the pictures - the red is really bright but looks very close to the 98 kit with Wards on it. It looked good and even the white keeper kit looked better in person.

Overall, a nice warm up for the team (and fans!) and an enjoyable day despite the changeable weather.

Not doing ratings as not really a game to slate/praise but the experienced senior lads did what they had to where as the youngsters maybe did not quite impress as much as they would have liked (Neal, trialist were ok) and we improved down both full back areas 2nd half too.

Think I am away for Rotherham but hopefully will see Stuttgart at the Lane.
Sad to hear about that fight for a bloody friendly ffs! Growing up in Chezzy I can vouch for the fact that Blades and Spireites get on. Ok, they give it large on the dee dah bit, but that is generally good natured banter. If you ignore the obvious plastic Manc and Scouser thing, I’d say the second most popular football shirt (behind Chezzy) worn around the town by a country mile is a Blades shirt…plenty of cross pollination here.

LM reminds me very much of David Brooks and when ready needs to be played in an attacking role, creative and can pick a pass.
Osula needs sending out on loan to a lower league side and hopefully they offer us 20,000 and we snap their hands off, never going to be good enough.

Back
Top Bottom