"Carrying a knock"

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Liaminho9

Reaction score
Anybody else sick of hearing this from Clough? It is becoming a standard line in post match interviews, and more often that not, about players that have started.

For example, yesterday when asked why he had taken Steven Davies off, Clough told RS that he had been carrying a knock before the game.

My question is, why does Clough continue to play half fit players when fit players are sat on the bench? We have a big enough squad to swap things around!

Anybody else sick of hearing this from Clough? It is becoming a standard line in post match interviews, and more often that not, about players that have started.

For example, yesterday when asked why he had taken Steven Davies off, Clough told RS that he had been carrying a knock before the game.

My question is, why does Clough continue to play half fit players when fit players are sat on the bench? We have a big enough squad to swap things around!

Players become injured or half fit when the going gets tough or the chips are down . Success breeds success and every player wants to play no matter what . I can see more injuries coming up , in the run in .

Not knocking injuries , but the name of the game , was to have a big squad to cover all eventualities . Perhaps a big squad means something different , and we are all missing a trick .

UTB

I've played football for years and know injuries are part of the game, i'm not disputing that, the point i am making is what a smack in the face it must be to the squad players that Clough is basically saying "i would rather play a half fit player than a fully fit you"

I've played football for years and know injuries are part of the game, i'm not disputing that, the point i am making is what a smack in the face it must be to the squad players that Clough is basically saying "i would rather play a half fit player than a fully fit you"

Clough perhaps cannot trust his full squad to do a job on the field , which is strange as he bought in the vast majority of them . Cover midfield - plenty . Cover CF / CB minimal.

Ok Higdon is injured , but when fit , do we play to any players strengths . Even Done to me looks a different player .

The thing is we have a set of players who should be able to change to different tactical formations , depending on the opposition or how a game is panning out . We just don't seem to crack the basics . Ok football is all about opinions , and we sometimes all see a different game , but i would say that the vast majority of fans can see the issues , both home and away .

Clough plays half fit players , because it is a sign of desperation to me and thinks he has no choice.

UTB

Well I'm going to be honest here, I never got over the every player has a number bit, I'm still stuck in the playing for a shirt era and to see number nine playing on the wing or a number 32 passing to number 23 who looks like he's playing center forward but is actually the outside left, even though he can only kick with his right foot still baffles me.....:tumbleweed:

Well I'm going to be honest here, I never got over the every player has a number bit, I'm still stuck in the playing for a shirt era and to see number nine playing on the wing or a number 32 passing to number 23 who looks like he's playing center forward but is actually the outside left, even though he can only kick with his right foot still baffles me.....:tumbleweed:

Hodgy , Badger , Shaw etc etc . Round pegs in round holes . The game has supposedly moved on , but football is still football. Simple.

UTB

Amazing how players who have been "carrying knocks" suddenly regain full fitness as soon as they go out to another club. Who'd have thunk it ?

I imagine at this stage of the season there are a few players carrying niggling injuries. Of course they tend not to get mentioned if you're winning and playing well!
I guess Done wasn't 100% either? Otherwise I would have started with Done - I think he's our best option for a goal at the moment.

I think its the opposite, he seems to take players off when they get a knock or are feeling it and only brings in players that he's entirely confident with.

He's also seeming to work on getting a settled side and makes changes for injuries/ fitness rather than just to Give players a run out. Only exception seems to be murphy, looking knackered all game, but he wasn't confident to bring in Che Adams on tues as he thought Murphy could play tues/ sat. He pretty much admitted yesterday that he needs to rotate more, perhaps if he Did we wouldn't see so many 'knocks' being carried

Amazing how players who have been "carrying knocks" suddenly regain full fitness as soon as they go out to another club. Who'd have thunk it ?

is that like JCR - Currently Injured - not played since 7th March
or Diego - Currently Injured - Injured again whilst on Italian duty
or Cuvelier - Currently Injury - not played for Burton since 7th March havin played 5 minutes before being subbed off injured (yes he scored... but clearly was still fragile...

Collins played in an U21 having come back from injury (although judging by his own goal I bet many fans at Port Vale wont be too impressed)

or have they all fallen out with their respective loan managers... or could it be that these injuries were always there....

Back
Top Bottom