Can we please stop....

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

CPB

Reaction score
The talk of we simply aren't good enough to compete?

Whilst we might not or probably don't have the quality to potentially stay up we are good enough to compete better than this even with the injuries.
Lower league teams can give Prem sides a game and be more threatening than we can be at times.
This is not a bash at everyone but more so this mindset from our fans that we are utterly hopeless and lets just fastrack to relegation.
We are capable of picking up results, how many who knows but there is definitely reasonable room for improvement.

Some games such as the weekend's heavy defeat to Arsenal are not one's to judge unless of course you come away with a surprising result but we did let it become a heavy defeat and without offering anything at all going forward. But ultimately away at Arsenal we are right to expect a defeat.
But the games against Everton, Fulham and even West Ham are games we should have offered more in. I'm excluding Palace and Forest because we were woefully short still in incomings.
Despite picking up the point against Everton and nearly nicking it we didn't control enough of the game and that is what's killing us, that and we then compound it with basic defensive errors and poor attacking play. All of which we should see improvement on.

When you think back to how we played first season back up under Wilder it wasn't just about using our overlapping centrebacks. We would keep possession better and for longer and build up the play that bit more gradually pinning the oppositions back to then create overloads. Lundstram covered alot of ground getting forwards and back too in midfield.

We also did do alot of just clearing our lines and knocking the ball back into the oppositions half but also we would see a midfielder or striker drop into space so a defender has another option other than kick it out or long.

When we weren't in possession we were comfortable at keeping teams at arms length and letting them have possession to a point because the defenders knew they could deal with most crosses in and we had the numbers back to crowd out attackers. Obviously it wasn't fullproof we didn't win every game but we were more resolute in defence and more patient but also threatening in attack.

We can still do this with the squad we have now, it may or probably still not be enough to get us enough points but performances wise we should be expecting better even with our predicament with how our squad was shaped with transfers and injuries.

I think this is the reason why if we did make a managerial change I can see the reason behind if for what I've said above. A new manager and staff could help change some of this narrative above.
But I'm not desperate for Hecky to go and whilst he is here I truly want him to turn it around and we see an improvement, I think he possibly can but we absolutely need to and fast. Ideally starting this Sat if he is indeed still in charge!

The talk of we simply aren't good enough to compete?

Whilst we might not or probably don't have the quality to potentially stay up we are good enough to compete better than this even with the injuries.
Lower league teams can give Prem sides a game and be more threatening than we can be at times.
This is not a bash at everyone but more so this mindset from our fans that we are utterly hopeless and lets just fastrack to relegation.
We are capable of picking up results, how many who knows but there is definitely reasonable room for improvement.

Some games such as the weekend's heavy defeat to Arsenal are not one's to judge unless of course you come away with a surprising result but we did let it become a heavy defeat and without offering anything at all going forward. But ultimately away at Arsenal we are right to expect a defeat.
But the games against Everton, Fulham and even West Ham are games we should have offered more in. I'm excluding Palace and Forest because we were woefully short still in incomings.
Despite picking up the point against Everton and nearly nicking it we didn't control enough of the game and that is what's killing us, that and we then compound it with basic defensive errors and poor attacking play. All of which we should see improvement on.

When you think back to how we played first season back up under Wilder it wasn't just about using our overlapping centrebacks. We would keep possession better and for longer and build up the play that bit more gradually pinning the oppositions back to then create overloads. Lundstram covered alot of ground getting forwards and back too in midfield.

We also did do alot of just clearing our lines and knocking the ball back into the oppositions half but also we would see a midfielder or striker drop into space so a defender has another option other than kick it out or long.

When we weren't in possession we were comfortable at keeping teams at arms length and letting them have possession to a point because the defenders knew they could deal with most crosses in and we had the numbers back to crowd out attackers. Obviously it wasn't fullproof we didn't win every game but we were more resolute in defence and more patient but also threatening in attack.

We can still do this with the squad we have now, it may or probably still not be enough to get us enough points but performances wise we should be expecting better even with our predicament with how our squad was shaped with transfers and injuries.

I think this is the reason why if we did make a managerial change I can see the reason behind if for what I've said above. A new manager and staff could help change some of this narrative above.
But I'm not desperate for Hecky to go and whilst he is here I truly want him to turn it around and we see an improvement, I think he possibly can but we absolutely need to and fast. Ideally starting this Sat if he is indeed still in charge!

Injuries are the main reason we are not competing and that is all down to Hecky and his staff.

I truly wish I had your optimism but I honestly think Hecky has lost the backing of the fans now. There is nothing to suggest me things are going to improve as he is just setting up the exact same every game so the game is lost before they’ve come out the tunnel unfortunately.

There seems to be no plan whatsoever and the players just seem to be winging it, they aren’t good enough to do that.

Can’t tell if we’re a counter attack, an all out attack, or a possession based team. We just stand there like mannequins rolling over for teams and not even attacking them, the opposition keepers might aswell bring a deckchair and a flask out with them at the beginning of the match.

We’ve simply got to change our approach somehow because what we’re doing at the moment is insane.

No money, two of the better players sold, 8 of probable first team out injured. The only thing you can blame Hecky for is agreeing to the terrible recommendations of his recruitment staff.

Mentality is set by the manager and we don't seem to have any belief at all we can win a game. That's on Hecky, IMO and I do blame him. I know he doesn't think he can get results from 75% of games, so the players must too.

I honestly think Hecky has lost the backing of the fans now.
I honestly believe that the fans are fairly split on it. But that’s just opinion, same as yours. Even so, just because fans are calling for something doesn’t necessarily mean it should happen.

What matters is that the appointment of a new manager doesn’t split the fanbase further.

Hi Prince.
Haha please don't think I'm a prince fan! I ain't.
Injuries are the main reason we are not competing and that is all down to Hecky and his staff.
Last season I'd heard off a mate that he's had injury crisis' at previous clubs. (Barnsley and Leeds) but I dismissed it as just coincidence or bad luck.

It's just happening too much for something not to be right. Bone breaks are freak occurrences so that is just bad luck of course.

I truly wish I had your optimism but I honestly think Hecky has lost the backing of the fans now. There is nothing to suggest me things are going to improve as he is just setting up the exact same every game so the game is lost before they’ve come out the tunnel unfortunately.

There seems to be no plan whatsoever and the players just seem to be winging it, they aren’t good enough to do that.

Can’t tell if we’re a counter attack, an all out attack, or a possession based team. We just stand there like mannequins rolling over for teams and not even attacking them, the opposition keepers might aswell bring a deckchair and a flask out with them at the beginning of the match.

We’ve simply got to change our approach somehow because what we’re doing at the moment is insane.
I'm not that optimistic but I do feel we should expect better and we should do better. But it can't come without all these areas being improved upon.

As I said I'm sad for hecky but open to the idea of a new manager. Im one of them that also think there is a chance it may work with Wilder too.

Agree , but why is it all down to Hecky and his staff

Bash
RND
Brewster
Baldock
Egan
Macburnie
Lowe
Davies

Which one of those are Hecky and his staffs fault ?
Egan - should never have been allowed to go with Ireland
Davies - should never have been signed, he’s a crock
Lowe - was played injured and got a worse injury as a result
McBurnie - was injured but kept on the pitch

Egan - should never have been allowed to go with Ireland
Davies - should never have been signed, he’s a crock
Lowe - was played injured and got a worse injury as a result
McBurnie - was injured but kept on the pitch
Bull

Hindsight

Davies - signed due to the utter financial fiasco at the club - nursed into the squad and had a freak accident at the end of training

Lowe - wasn’t injured , freak accident with a sprinkler

Egan , injured in the heat of battle , subbed (I take your point re Ireland tbh)

Mcburnie - injured and withdrawn

We'll never know whether the amount of injuries is down to poor facilities, poor training/monitoring methods or just bad luck. However, whatever the reason, they are impacting what was already a squad with very limited quality beyond the starting eleven., resulting in players who either are young / show promise but aren't good enough (yet!) e.g. Osula, Traore, those that are on their way down e.g. Fleck, and those are were never good enough e.g. Osborn getting games when they simply shouldn't be playing at Prem level.

Given the lack of quality and budgetary constraints, it was crucial that PH extracted every last drop of value in his summer recruitment. I'm afraid that very few of his signings are delivering and it again highlights the mystifying decision to offer Fleck, Osborn and Davies contracts, thereby ignoring glaring gaps in the squad i.e. GK and another striker.

Thought this thread was going to say "Can we please stop... Giving a fuck"

Must admit I've finally lost interest in this season, didn't watch Arsenal game and doubt I will watch many more (if any) this season.

Even this forum is fast growing into an echo chamber tbh.

Will return next season when football has a possibility of being fun again

He has just changed from a back 5 to a 4. It may have been forced on him, but we clearly are not set up either at the back nor the front the same in each match.

He has just changed from a back 5 to a 4. It may have been forced on him, but we clearly are not set up either at the back nor the front the same in each match.
In terms of how we play it literally is

We play literally the exact same way. He’s now playing central midfielders on the wing 😂

We'll never know whether the amount of injuries is down to poor facilities, poor training/monitoring methods or just bad luck. .
Here’s how the Prince will probably be thinking.

Option 1 Bad luck
Always a possibility however no team can suffer terrible bad luck every single season. Luck doesn’t work like that unless you believe in supernatural curses. Another issue isn’t just injuries but the prolonged recovery time and injury set backs.

Option 2 Facilities
Seems a decent theory but the Prince has forked out for Desso training pitches but the injuries still persist

Option 3 It’s looking more and more likely it’s training methods or the rehab team.

Does make me wonder if the main reason the Prince might sack Hecky isn’t necessarily the results but the amount of long term injuries we’ve had every season under Hecky. Appreciate it seems like bad luck but it’s getting beyond a joke.

Op has made many relevant points. We don't have any invention in how we play. We don't have PL players so we need to bring something different if we are going to compete, Hecky does not do invention. From an execution point of view our first season we had movement and understanding of others. The last 3 seasons we had very little of either but we had MGW and N'Diaye taking responsibility in consecutive seasons.
Injuries have played a part but we still should have some semblance of organisation and leadership no matter who is playing. That's the biggest disappointment for me and why it's time for Hecky to go. As for the Prince I am not concerned that he didn't invest in the team. The splurge on players previously gave fuck all value except for Ramsdale and the late development of Jack Robinson who gets Kudos for caring and getting stuck into things.

The part I would be worried about with the Prince is about the some of PL money this season being siphoned off into his own pockets or being pumped into United World.

We play literally the exact same way. He’s now playing central midfielders on the wing 😂
Are not your two sentences contradictory ? Either each match is the same or he is now playing players in different positions.

Are not your two sentences contradictory ? Either each match is the same or he is now playing players in different positions.
I meant it’s the same tactics we’re using. Which is the 5 second rule of keep the ball then give it back. There is no purpose to our play. It’s laughable that he’s now playing central midfielders on the wing, he’s lost the plot

I meant it’s the same tactics we’re using. Which is the 5 second rule of keep the ball then give it back. There is no purpose to our play. It’s laughable that he’s now playing central midfielders on the wing, he’s lost the plot
Whilst I agree the whole process is slow and uninteresting he does attempt to play differently at home than away at the top clubs.
As Norwood said it is the players who are making a mess of it not the management team.
I will be interested to see how the players react on Saturday and where we are after Boxing Day.

Here’s how the Prince will probably be thinking.

Option 1 Bad luck
Always a possibility however no team can suffer terrible bad luck every single season. Luck doesn’t work like that unless you believe in supernatural curses. Another issue isn’t just injuries but the prolonged recovery time and injury set backs.

Option 2 Facilities
Seems a decent theory but the Prince has forked out for Desso training pitches but the injuries still persist

Option 3 It’s looking more and more likely it’s training methods or the rehab team.

Does make me wonder if the main reason the Prince might sack Hecky isn’t necessarily the results but the amount of long term injuries we’ve had every season under Hecky. Appreciate it seems like bad luck but it’s getting beyond a joke.
If McBurnie complained about feeling his groin at half time, I’m not sure “give it a go and see how you feel” is the right course of action to minimise the impact.

You could also argue the same when applied to Jack O’Connell in the early days didn’t help him either.

Back to McBurnie, how much has that cost us? Have we lost him for an extra week because he didn’t come off straight away? That’s on the management and conditioning team.

We now have winnable fixtures coming up and are going to be without our main striker, which is a disaster, let’s be honest. Finally some games you can compete in and you’ve got one hand tied behind your back, possibly because you weren’t cautious enough with a player's fitness.

Back
Top Bottom