Brighton 1 United 1 - report

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Deadbat

Reaction score
After the jubilation of the first victory just over a week ago, the Blades were able to build on this and pick up their first away point of the season, with a fighting draw at the Amex. After a poor first half when Adringa converted after a lovely run and one two, Brighton could and should have put the game away despite a weakened side. The Blades had struggled to make much headway at all but after a wild tackle from Dahoud saw the Brighton man sent off, the contest changed. Bogle’s cross was turned into his own net – remarkably the third own goal United have profited from this season – the Blades then could have gone on and won it! In the end, they will be content with a point and have moved off the bottom of the table before the next international break.

The Blades made one change with McAtee in for the injured Brewster and they seemed to be playing one up top as they did at Arsenal but with five at the back. Brighton rotated their side fresh from an impressive European road win in the week but had bags of talent and experience in their line up spearheaded by Barcelona loan man Fati.

United playing in a yellow and red strip which evoked memories of the early 90’s almost took an early lead after Van Hecke’s error from a throw in and Hamer reacted but his instinctive header as it bounced up went wide. However, the home side soon began to assert their domination and a ball through saw United wide open down the middle and Fati should have done better but shot at Foderingham.

Brighton continued to move through the away side easily with Heckingbottom’s side playing a strangely high line which seemed ripe to be picked off with one ball or run through. On 7 minutes the opener came. ADRINGA came in from the left and Bogle failed to stop his man. The winger then was allowed to run and run and Souza just let him go before the Brighton man played in Buonanotte whose clever wall pass saw it come back for Adringa who slotted home clinically. It was a lovely goal but atrocious defending with not one challenge incoming.

The Seagulls continued to dominate and the defence being on half way did not help the Blades. A ball through almost saw them in again in a very one-sided contest. Fati then got down the middle and hit a shot that Foderingham had to make the low save before another through ball and Lallana was close to getting his shot away. After 20 minutes, the Blades seemingly had not completed a move or series of passes in succession, let alone a meaningful attack after that early chance that came due to the Brighton error.

The home side had rested a number of players but the pace, movement and skill seemed a different level to the opposition and another move saw them dissect United before Thomas brought down his man. The free kick was flighted in and Webster should have scored but did not get enough contact. Soon after the Buonanotte was able to outmuscle Robinson and his shot went into the side netting. United somehow were only 1-0 down in a game they were not really competing in at all and it seemed like they had accepted they could not really hurt the home side. Fati was causing Trusty all sorts of problems and he wriggled away again but United managed to turn it behind for a corner.

With 10 minutes of the half left, United got in the home half and won a throw in and then a corner before Souza had to have treatment seemingly injuring his back. An effort finally came from the Blades but it was a woeful one as Bogle’s sliced effort did not even make it out for a throw in! Hamer then played a poor ball when Archer looked to get in as United at least finally had a mini spell in the game.

Bogle was beaten easily by Adringa at the other end and brought him down and was rightly cautioned. The ball in was punched clear by Foderingham but Gilmour hit a return effort towards goal on the volley but the keeper pushed over.

Hamer showed good work to get away and Buananotte cynically chopped him down to take the booking for the home side and United did force another corner but the effort as it came in was blocked just before the half time whistle went. Despite a better closing spell to the half, the game has been extremely one side and Brighton really will have thought they should have put the game away against a desperate Blades side who looked clueless in all aspects of the game, both with and without the ball.

Mitoma and Pedro came on for Buananotte and Lallana as Brighton looked to put United away after squandering so many first half opportunities to be in cruise control. Norwood committed two fouls in quick succession and there was a good chance when Adringa got in again and pulled it back for Pedro whose effort was curled over. Souza had tried to go on but was still struggling and he came off for Osborn.

Brighton had an appeal for a penalty as a cross struck Bogle who turned his back but it did hit his arm but fortunately for United VAR decided his arm was close enough to his body and did not come out enough. Brighton continued to dominate the ball but slowly United at least were able to get in the field and the first decent move of note came when Norwood and Baldock linked and the ball across was not anticipated by Archer who was on his heels

Trusty was beaten on halfway by Mitoma and as the Japanese international turned and got on the subsequent pass but Robinson made the last-ditch tackle. The corner came over and Van Hecke’s header was down but up and onto the top of the net. Brighton then had a series of chances and efforts as Mitoma’s effort after he went past Bogle too easily was saved at Foderingham’s near post. The same player than had a shot that Foderingham had to push away after the corner came out to him.

United were at least trying to find some space at the other end and Archer and McAtee combined well but as the ball came across, Bogle’s ball as overplayed and Hamer ran out of room. Adringa was booked for waving an imaginary yellow card after Thomas committed the foul. However, the next card was to prove crucial.

On 68 minutes, Dahoud made a ridiculous and dangerous lunge raking his foot down the back of Ben Osborn’s leg and the red card brandished was instant. The Brighton man did not protest and even came back to check on the welfare of the United substitute.

This instantly saw the home side make two changes with Veltman and Balema on for Gilmour and Fati. United were able to get level not long after. The ball was sent over to the left and Trusty managed to keep it alive and it was helped across, Bogle was able to take a touch and fire a ball across and WESBTER (OG) could only divert it into his own net under pressure from Webster.

De Zerbi was booked for his protests on the goal but it was unclear what his grievance was as there was no offence committed in the lead up to the goal. Brighton had lost their way completely since the red card and United now were the side who suddenly looked in control. Norwood and McAtee linked and the ball was cleared away but then at the other end Brighton had appeals for a free kick and corner turned away with frustration growing amongst the home fans.

The Blades had a great chance to take the lead when McAtee and then Archer moved it on superbly and it led to Bogle having a chance to have another positive contribution despite an otherwise difficult afternoon for the former Derby man. However, he pulled his shot wide when he really should have done much better.

McAtee got on a loose ball and went round Steele who was a long way off his line but could not get a shot or cross away and the ball was eventually cleared. United were now moving the ball around well and for the first-time controlling possession and looking composed after being second best for the first 70 minutes of the game. Thomas hit an effort over the bar and then Archer nearly got in before McAtee had to come off with cramp. Slimane came on for the City loanee.

Robinson seemed to get the ball in a challenge and his reaction suggested so but he was booked before United were able to get in a good area again but Bogle’s shot lacked power and was straight at Steele -this was remarkably United’s only effort on goal of the whole game – coming in the final minute.

The game moved into an additional 5 minutes and United then had a moment of concern as Bogle’s appeals for a foul was not given and Adringa was brought down by Thomas just outside the box. The free kick came to Mitoma but Bogle blocked the cross. The corner came over and Webster appealed in vain for a shirt pull on Robinson but with players on both sides grappling all over the box, it was unlikely to be awarded and Brighton from a position of complete control seemed a bit desperate. Bogle went down with a knock and Osula came on but little else happened and United will be happy after such a poor start to the game, to take a point and break the away losing streak, despite maybe having an opportunity to get all three in the end.

United – Delighted with a point which may sound off v 10 men for the final 20 minutes and us getting level and had a good chance to win in. In the end, I just did not want to give a stupid goal away on the break and with their quality I was just wanting us not to do anything daft. Granted we may say in a few weeks we maybe needed to go for it but after so many losses away and how we started today, I was just pleased to take something and a point no one really expected at the start.

Another desperate first half where we came out and just did not compete at all. The lack of tackling, intensity, and tempo on and off the ball was frighteningly bad. We had the chance via Hamer from their error but after this for almost 35 minutes we just did not compete. The goal summed it up as a run from the touchline was unchecked and we let him run and run and did not tackle at all. They had lots of other opportunities and our defensive line was bizarrely high. I get it if we were not playing a side with pace or runners but their plan was to break through and they did this time after time. I guess Hecky thought we have sat deep and lost every away game and inevitably conceded so let us compress the pitch but you can still do that and not be so high up. I felt we were ripe for conceding every time they came forward and one pass and they were in.

The two wing backs were nowhere near their men, the centre backs got turned time after time and the midfield slow and static passengers. Archer had no service but did not work hard enough when the ball went his way – to be honest it barely did. Overall, other than Wes, I cannot think of one positive thing from the first half. We had a corner and throw near the end but for the entire half almost, it was so one sided and only poor finishing and decisions from a second-string Brighton stopped us going in 3 or 4 down. I was not at Fulham; but it was as bad as it has been all season and we have had some bad showings!

Once again I had no idea what the plan was, with and without the ball. We just let them have it and seemed unable to even have a shape that stopped them coming through. We looked like we had no belief again and had forgotten about the efforts of the second half last week. When they put on two of their better players at half time I thought they would go on and win 2 or 3-0 at least and they did have a few chances but seemed to get complacent and we at least had a few attacks even before the red card but never really looking like scoring.

The red card completely changed the game. It was a stupid tackle and cost them the win. It was odd as I feel if they had kept going and attacking they still would win even with a numerical disadvantage but almost automatically sat back. They made changes and sort of panicked when they probably did not need to as would have got chances on the break. The goal was a bit lucky but a decent bit of pressure football. Bogle had a poor game but involved in a few of our better moments and then missed a good chance. The likes of Hamer and McAtee got on the ball more and improved hugely after the red card. It was strange as we were caught between going for it and just keeping it tight but kind of got the right balance. Sure, some will say we should have put more men forward and attacked more but we did have quite a lot of men in their box and I was actually worried when we lost it we had committed too many forward. I felt we tried to get a winner and some chances without being stupid. It is easy to say we should have created more but we have poor striking options. Brighton still had a few chances late on and we gave away some silly fouls. I was pleased in the end to just get a point as for 70 minutes and certainly the first 45 – we were never in it really. We started then to keep the ball after the red card and move them around. It was perhaps psychological for both sides that one man less/more changes how players approach things and we became more positive and they became more negative.

To take a draw on the back of a win is a good two weeks. It is a shame Bournemouth won and I am not sure this mini league of 4 will quite pan out. It seems the bottom three in my opinion are a long way off the rest when you look at teams like Fulham, Forest, Wolves and Everton all who are a lot better than us. The game v the Cherries in a few weeks is a big one though. We must start games better and not be so passive and inert in tackling/pressing opponents. We seem almost afraid and this feeling our way into games is seeing us lose most games before we have begun. I expect Ahmedhodzic and McBurnie back in for Bogle and Norwood or Souza and we need to play more front football. At the moment we look a long way short and waiting for something to happen or us to concede before we play is not good enough. Still the positive is, taking away the red card and the poor opening, we did do better after the break, got a goal (own goal out leading scorer and main man!), and played pockets of good stuff. We did not fold like we have in other away games and stayed in the game somehow before the final stages where we weirdly looked the better side. We have to build on that and now have a break and time to get a few back and hopefully can put in a complete/r performance in the next home game and face a run of vital games coming back.

Ratings (sure many will see these as too low for a 1-1 draw at a European side but for 70 mins we were abject and only after the red card did some improve):

Foderingham 7.5/10 – No chance on the goal and saved 2 or 3 others first half as shots reigned in at him constantly. Woefully exposed throughout. After the break he punched one out and then made 2 or 3 other saves. Not sure any I would have expected him to concede from and a lot were straight at him but he still had to dive to make the saves and he did everything he could do. The number of shots he is facing is ridiculous really.

Bogle 6/10 – Odd one to rate as up the last 20 minutes had him as a 3 or 4 with some wretched defending, appalling decisions, and coasting through the game but then he got involved in some big moments. Saw a chink of light 2nd half last week but back to poor standards he has shown most of the last year or so for much of the game. The goal he let his man run off him and this happened constantly. Had one wild shot sliced out for a throw. Second half continued to be poor as Mitoma went past him twice and could have put the game away. The goal of course he drives a dangerous ball in and big credit for him for that but even either side of this he overplayed passes and then had that great chance. I will say he did not stop going forward and was a threat and at least gave us another outlet especially after the red card. 6 still seems high for all the bad things he did but he did make the goal and was a real threat – maybe our biggest in an attacking sense so hard to mark him less than 5/10 despite lots of shortcomings.

Baldock 6.5/10 – Thought he was marginally our best defender in terms of him engaging in tackles and using the ball a bit better than others. He at least got a few interceptions in and was able to also get into good areas and his cross for Archer should have been finished for me with a striker anticipating. He will move back to right wing back when Anel comes back as Bogle continues to disappoint despite being involved in some of our better moments.

Robinson 6/10 – Thought this was poorest he has been for a while but still competed and fought hard versus some tricky/quick players. Yes he got stuck in and won a few tackles (harshly booked) but he also got dragged out of position too much and the one where the lad got in and fired into the side net he miskicked his clearances. He continued to stick at it but thought versus good movement and runners, our whole defence struggled for 70 minutes. Why we were so high up was beyond me with so little pace at the back against some quick players? This put him under pressure.

Trusty 5.5/10 – Some ok bits but some moments of naivety too. He tries to get too close to his man and gambles for the ball at times and this leads to him getting turned around. The goal he allows the one two too easily and is not able to out muscle his man. He lost a number of other 50-50 tackles too and I felt defensively they had way too much space. He oddly got much better after the red card when we seemed to go more to a 4 and he was playing very far forward and did well to nick the ball back on the goal and finished the game much better than he started.

Thomas 5/10 – Still nowhere near convincing. He sat off his man, much like Bogle on the other side and would not put a tackle in. He also was ball watching on the goal and played them onside – granted others more at fault. Continued to be quite slow to cover or get across when the ball was played towards his man. Second half he at least put some tackles in but most of them were fouls and he could have been sent off for one where the lad was booked for waving a yellow in his direction coupled with the one outside the box – where he again completely switched off. Had one shot over but attacking wide offered little. I am not sure he has done enough to retain his place and is one after Xmas I would sent back. Coming to something when I think Lowe, Larouci or Osborn are probably no worse.

Souza 3/10 – Thought he was woeful to be honest and I am definitely more in the ‘not sure what he offers’ camp despite him doing better 2nd half last week. He is so slow and immobile and this notion he is an enforcer is so far off the mark. The goal summed it up as he allowed a player to run past him without even putting as much as a token challenge in. This happened all first half as he and Norwood were just bypassed. He cannot carry the ball or pass it forward so if he is not tackling, breaking things up then not sure what he offers? At the moment a lot is being made of the defence and other areas of the side but the reality is we do not control midfield (can live with that) but rarely tackle or press. It was so easy first half for Brighton to just walk through us. At least when he came off we had a few people (even Osborn) who ran around – granted the red card changes it. I am not sure either him or Norwood or up to this level in terms of mobility/pace but you cannot get away with playing both.

Norwood 5/10 – Not much better than above but at least he kept hold of it for spells second half and gave us some control. First half they just ran off him and the rest of the midfield and it was like we did not have a midfield. He barely had the ball and when he did he just helped it down the field back to them. After the red card he at least got in it and started to move it around and involved in a few of our better moves. Still frustrated me with his free kicks and then a ball at the end to no one (their keeper) when we had to keep it. Our complete lack of mobility in midfield is really impacting us on how we play – both ways – at the moment.

McAtee 6/10 – Like the rest just really struggled first half – he was chasing shadows and they just ran through us. Seemed to be unsure of his position and as a result they found space all round us. Seemed to get frustrated but the few moments he and Hamer had they still did not help us get up the field. Did better after the break as the whole team did and then after the sending off, he started to get into those pockets of space and had a few dribbles and bits of interchange.

Hamer 6/10 – Thought he overplayed at times and made some bad decisions when in good areas but still was our most positive outfield player. He had the effort with the header and then as we got back into it, he was able to get on it and start to link. He did better work outside the box and then when with a chance to shoot or play the killer pass thought he was not able to take some chances to do that. Still, he at least gives us some attacking impetus and felt him and McAtee improving combined with Bogle getting forward gave us some life and chance to keep it up the field. Not sure we are getting the best out of him in terms of position though and sees to be shunted out wide or not really in an area where he can hurt teams. That is why I’d take one of Souza or Norwood out.

Archer 5.5/10 – First half complete passenger but not sure that was his fault? He had no service at all and was completely isolated. He still needs to work harder and like last week (him and Brewster) was too stationary and needs to press and harry. He cannot be stood still when the ball comes forward or when the defenders come out with it. Did get better second half but again needed to anticipate the Baldock cross. However, he did flick or play a few one in some of our half chances or moments where we attacked and at least was a bit of a threat and pressured Webster on the goal.

Subs –

Osborn 5.5/10 – Came on and got involved in the sense of being involved in the red card. He did give us some legs but he also went backwards a lot when he had it rather than try and pass forward. Not sure I noticed him too much as when we did improve and attack it was more down the right. We got better definitely when Souza went off but not sure if it was more addition by subtraction and the red helped.

Slimane – Did not see much of the ball and helped it on a few times. Also, another who looks quite slow and twice they ran away from him. Only getting bits and pieces of time at the moment. There is an argument he may give us more than one of Norwood/Souza but suppose Hecky sees him in training?

Osula – Brought on right at the death as Bogle was injured but he just chased one long ball before the full-time whistle.

Manager: Heckingbottom 5/10 – His mark again may seem low but the red card probably saw him and us get out of jail. Credit for us having more of a go 2nd half even before the refereeing decision but for a long spell we were woeful. We had no intensity, not pressure, no tempo, and no quality. The tactics were baffling as we sat way too high and were waiting to be played through. Better finishing and decisions and the game is done at half time. He did not really change it at the break but we did do a bit better and then after the red card we showed some bravery and calmness. I thought to be fair to him and United we did get the balance right in terms of whether we went for it or stayed sensible. Some may say we did neither but it is hard when we play such good teams even with ten men. Maybe he could have put Osula on for a defender earlier but he is inexperienced and it is not like we had many game changers or experience to call on – at least with attacking quality. The starts to games at the moment and the lack of engagement and pressure on opponents is inexcusable. I can cope with the lack of quality or not having attacking threats but we have to be able to tackle and win the loose stuff. We almost sit off and just wait for teams to attack. It is like we are just waiting to concede? I have no idea the tactics or approach at the moment when we start games and how we expect to get up the field and launch any kind of attacks? Yes we did improve and had chances of our own but the red card did make a big difference. Granted we still had to get level and then could have won it. I still think the performances are mostly poor – even last week the 2nd half made us forget an awful first half. We have to be ready and start games much better.

Brighton – They rested a number (and like us, have lots of injuries) but they still were miles better than us and probably could not believe how bad we were first half. They ought to have been out of side. Foderingham made some good saves but they may also feel they got into good areas and did not realty create as many chances as their play and domination should have resulted. They overplayed too much and were a bit casual despite clearly being far superior. After the break, they had become a bit sloppy even before the red card and it seemed like they just expected to win. The two subs seemed to be with the intention to finish the game but it never really happened and then after the stupid red, it became really bitty. In the end they sat back and kind of thought ‘we have ten, let’s sit in!’ They would have been better carrying on attacking against us as they kind of just expected to defend but not sure it would have quite gone like that. After we scored, the pattern was kind of set and they could have conceded another. They did have a few attacks/appeals for stuff near the end but the red card killed them and they never got back going again after this. I think in the end they were probably glad of a point which is ridiculous after dominating for most of the game.

Away from today’s game (we have a great record against them by the way and now in 5 EPL games still have not lost to them!), they are doing everything we would want to be doing. Fantastic recruitment, clear plan and play great football. They are an established side at this level and are competing with bigger clubs and in Europe. Living the dream but shows a clear sustained plan even if managers and players depart that you can do it. They have spent a fair bit but recouped a lot more. Love to be where they are but we are miles off this on and off the pitch sadly. Granted a rich owner helped them get there and stay there initially and they still lose a lot of money but they are really a club that everyone of a similar size should be aiming for and they and Brentford are embarrassing a lot of bigger clubs. Imagine us being in Europe and getting results at Marseille and Ajax. 15 years ago, they nearly went bust and/or into non-league and shows things can be achieved if you persist and have a plan.

Showed the squad depth today that they were still far superior to us with so many out but in the end it is a really poor result and despite the good European form they have been patchy in the league this season.

Opponent Man of the Match – Adringa was a constant threat. Ran at us all day, scored a great goal, and made a number of other chances. Real athlete with pace, skill and power. Fati was lively but his shooting was off. Same could be said for Mitoma, who is a fantastic player.

Opponent Weak link – Webster scored the own goal but Van Hecke was our best player! He set up Hamer and then nearly set up Archer in the first half and made a few other poor passes/touches. Had a bit of a nightmare. Of course, taking this award though has to be Dahoud for his ridiculous tackle which could have really injured Osborn and cost them the game.

Referee/Officials – Anthony Taylor. Brighton fans will criticise the officials but need to look at their own player with a stupid tackle. The other decisions were right – the one near the end was outside the box. There were a few questionable decisions both ways and felt Robinson was very unlucky not to be booked and Thomas very lucky not to be sent off for us (somehow did not get booked for two awful tackles!) but they committed a few crude fouls for a spell too. Felt De Zerbi was a bit desperate with his moans at the end. The one they appealed for at the end saw players on both sides grabbing shirts – just Webster chucked himself to the ground. The penalty on Bogle I would not have been shocked if it had been given – even if to me he had his hands down and turns his back and it hits him but you have no idea what will get given these days.

Ratings (sure many will see these as too low for a 1-1 draw at a European side but for 70 mins we were abject and only after the red card did some improve):

Foderingham 7.5/10 – No chance on the goal and saved 2 or 3 others first half as shots reigned in at him constantly. Woefully exposed throughout. After the break he punched one out and then made 2 or 3 other saves. Not sure any I would have expected him to concede from and a lot were straight at him but he still had to dive to make the saves and he did everything he could do. The number of shots he is facing is ridiculous really.

Bogle 6/10 – Odd one to rate as up the last 20 minutes had him as a 3 or 4 with some wretched defending, appalling decisions, and coasting through the game but then he got involved in some big moments. Saw a chink of light 2nd half last week but back to poor standards he has shown most of the last year or so for much of the game. The goal he let his man run off him and this happened constantly. Had one wild shot sliced out for a throw. Second half continued to be poor as Mitoma went past him twice and could have put the game away. The goal of course he drives a dangerous ball in and big credit for him for that but even either side of this he overplayed passes and then had that great chance. I will say he did not stop going forward and was a threat and at least gave us another outlet especially after the red card. 6 still seems high for all the bad things he did but he did make the goal and was a real threat – maybe our biggest in an attacking sense so hard to mark him less than 5/10 despite lots of shortcomings.

Baldock 6.5/10 – Thought he was marginally our best defender in terms of him engaging in tackles and using the ball a bit better than others. He at least got a few interceptions in and was able to also get into good areas and his cross for Archer should have been finished for me with a striker anticipating. He will move back to right wing back when Anel comes back as Bogle continues to disappoint despite being involved in some of our better moments.

Robinson 6/10 – Thought this was poorest he has been for a while but still competed and fought hard versus some tricky/quick players. Yes he got stuck in and won a few tackles (harshly booked) but he also got dragged out of position too much and the one where the lad got in and fired into the side net he miskicked his clearances. He continued to stick at it but thought versus good movement and runners, our whole defence struggled for 70 minutes. Why we were so high up was beyond me with so little pace at the back against some quick players? This put him under pressure.

Trusty 5.5/10 – Some ok bits but some moments of naivety too. He tries to get too close to his man and gambles for the ball at times and this leads to him getting turned around. The goal he allows the one two too easily and is not able to out muscle his man. He lost a number of other 50-50 tackles too and I felt defensively they had way too much space. He oddly got much better after the red card when we seemed to go more to a 4 and he was playing very far forward and did well to nick the ball back on the goal and finished the game much better than he started.

Thomas 5/10 – Still nowhere near convincing. He sat off his man, much like Bogle on the other side and would not put a tackle in. He also was ball watching on the goal and played them onside – granted others more at fault. Continued to be quite slow to cover or get across when the ball was played towards his man. Second half he at least put some tackles in but most of them were fouls and he could have been sent off for one where the lad was booked for waving a yellow in his direction coupled with the one outside the box – where he again completely switched off. Had one shot over but attacking wide offered little. I am not sure he has done enough to retain his place and is one after Xmas I would sent back. Coming to something when I think Lowe, Larouci or Osborn are probably no worse.

Souza 3/10 – Thought he was woeful to be honest and I am definitely more in the ‘not sure what he offers’ camp despite him doing better 2nd half last week. He is so slow and immobile and this notion he is an enforcer is so far off the mark. The goal summed it up as he allowed a player to run past him without even putting as much as a token challenge in. This happened all first half as he and Norwood were just bypassed. He cannot carry the ball or pass it forward so if he is not tackling, breaking things up then not sure what he offers? At the moment a lot is being made of the defence and other areas of the side but the reality is we do not control midfield (can live with that) but rarely tackle or press. It was so easy first half for Brighton to just walk through us. At least when he came off we had a few people (even Osborn) who ran around – granted the red card changes it. I am not sure either him or Norwood or up to this level in terms of mobility/pace but you cannot get away with playing both.

Norwood 5/10 – Not much better than above but at least he kept hold of it for spells second half and gave us some control. First half they just ran off him and the rest of the midfield and it was like we did not have a midfield. He barely had the ball and when he did he just helped it down the field back to them. After the red card he at least got in it and started to move it around and involved in a few of our better moves. Still frustrated me with his free kicks and then a ball at the end to no one (their keeper) when we had to keep it. Our complete lack of mobility in midfield is really impacting us on how we play – both ways – at the moment.

McAtee 6/10 – Like the rest just really struggled first half – he was chasing shadows and they just ran through us. Seemed to be unsure of his position and as a result they found space all round us. Seemed to get frustrated but the few moments he and Hamer had they still did not help us get up the field. Did better after the break as the whole team did and then after the sending off, he started to get into those pockets of space and had a few dribbles and bits of interchange.

Hamer 6/10 – Thought he overplayed at times and made some bad decisions when in good areas but still was our most positive outfield player. He had the effort with the header and then as we got back into it, he was able to get on it and start to link. He did better work outside the box and then when with a chance to shoot or play the killer pass thought he was not able to take some chances to do that. Still, he at least gives us some attacking impetus and felt him and McAtee improving combined with Bogle getting forward gave us some life and chance to keep it up the field. Not sure we are getting the best out of him in terms of position though and sees to be shunted out wide or not really in an area where he can hurt teams. That is why I’d take one of Souza or Norwood out.

Archer 5.5/10 – First half complete passenger but not sure that was his fault? He had no service at all and was completely isolated. He still needs to work harder and like last week (him and Brewster) was too stationary and needs to press and harry. He cannot be stood still when the ball comes forward or when the defenders come out with it. Did get better second half but again needed to anticipate the Baldock cross. However, he did flick or play a few one in some of our half chances or moments where we attacked and at least was a bit of a threat and pressured Webster on the goal.

Subs –

Osborn 5.5/10 – Came on and got involved in the sense of being involved in the red card. He did give us some legs but he also went backwards a lot when he had it rather than try and pass forward. Not sure I noticed him too much as when we did improve and attack it was more down the right. We got better definitely when Souza went off but not sure if it was more addition by subtraction and the red helped.

Slimane – Did not see much of the ball and helped it on a few times. Also, another who looks quite slow and twice they ran away from him. Only getting bits and pieces of time at the moment. There is an argument he may give us more than one of Norwood/Souza but suppose Hecky sees him in training?

Osula – Brought on right at the death as Bogle was injured but he just chased one long ball before the full-time whistle.

Manager: Heckingbottom 5/10 – His mark again may seem low but the red card probably saw him and us get out of jail. Credit for us having more of a go 2nd half even before the refereeing decision but for a long spell we were woeful. We had no intensity, not pressure, no tempo, and no quality. The tactics were baffling as we sat way too high and were waiting to be played through. Better finishing and decisions and the game is done at half time. He did not really change it at the break but we did do a bit better and then after the red card we showed some bravery and calmness. I thought to be fair to him and United we did get the balance right in terms of whether we went for it or stayed sensible. Some may say we did neither but it is hard when we play such good teams even with ten men. Maybe he could have put Osula on for a defender earlier but he is inexperienced and it is not like we had many game changers or experience to call on – at least with attacking quality. The starts to games at the moment and the lack of engagement and pressure on opponents is inexcusable. I can cope with the lack of quality or not having attacking threats but we have to be able to tackle and win the loose stuff. We almost sit off and just wait for teams to attack. It is like we are just waiting to concede? I have no idea the tactics or approach at the moment when we start games and how we expect to get up the field and launch any kind of attacks? Yes we did improve and had chances of our own but the red card did make a big difference. Granted we still had to get level and then could have won it. I still think the performances are mostly poor – even last week the 2nd half made us forget an awful first half. We have to be ready and start games much better.

Brighton – They rested a number (and like us, have lots of injuries) but they still were miles better than us and probably could not believe how bad we were first half. They ought to have been out of side. Foderingham made some good saves but they may also feel they got into good areas and did not realty create as many chances as their play and domination should have resulted. They overplayed too much and were a bit casual despite clearly being far superior. After the break, they had become a bit sloppy even before the red card and it seemed like they just expected to win. The two subs seemed to be with the intention to finish the game but it never really happened and then after the stupid red, it became really bitty. In the end they sat back and kind of thought ‘we have ten, let’s sit in!’ They would have been better carrying on attacking against us as they kind of just expected to defend but not sure it would have quite gone like that. After we scored, the pattern was kind of set and they could have conceded another. They did have a few attacks/appeals for stuff near the end but the red card killed them and they never got back going again after this. I think in the end they were probably glad of a point which is ridiculous after dominating for most of the game.

Away from today’s game (we have a great record against them by the way and now in 5 EPL games still have not lost to them!), they are doing everything we would want to be doing. Fantastic recruitment, clear plan and play great football. They are an established side at this level and are competing with bigger clubs and in Europe. Living the dream but shows a clear sustained plan even if managers and players depart that you can do it. They have spent a fair bit but recouped a lot more. Love to be where they are but we are miles off this on and off the pitch sadly. Granted a rich owner helped them get there and stay there initially and they still lose a lot of money but they are really a club that everyone of a similar size should be aiming for and they and Brentford are embarrassing a lot of bigger clubs. Imagine us being in Europe and getting results at Marseille and Ajax. 15 years ago, they nearly went bust and/or into non-league and shows things can be achieved if you persist and have a plan.

Showed the squad depth today that they were still far superior to us with so many out but in the end it is a really poor result and despite the good European form they have been patchy in the league this season.

Opponent Man of the Match – Adringa was a constant threat. Ran at us all day, scored a great goal, and made a number of other chances. Real athlete with pace, skill and power. Fati was lively but his shooting was off. Same could be said for Mitoma, who is a fantastic player.

Opponent Weak link – Webster scored the own goal but Van Hecke was our best player! He set up Hamer and then nearly set up Archer in the first half and made a few other poor passes/touches. Had a bit of a nightmare. Of course, taking this award though has to be Dahoud for his ridiculous tackle which could have really injured Osborn and cost them the game.

Referee/Officials – Anthony Taylor. Brighton fans will criticise the officials but need to look at their own player with a stupid tackle. The other decisions were right – the one near the end was outside the box. There were a few questionable decisions both ways and felt Robinson was very unlucky not to be booked and Thomas very lucky not to be sent off for us (somehow did not get booked for two awful tackles!) but they committed a few crude fouls for a spell too. Felt De Zerbi was a bit desperate with his moans at the end. The one they appealed for at the end saw players on both sides grabbing shirts – just Webster chucked himself to the ground. The penalty on Bogle I would not have been shocked if it had been given – even if to me he had his hands down and turns his back and it hits him but you have no idea what will get given these days.
Good report, although John Brooks was the ref. You must be watching Anthony Taylor at the Chelsea game whilst writing this report!

Agree wholeheartedly with your comments about the lack of a game plan and tactical naivety. We were abysmal up to the red card. That changed the game and credit to the players we took advantage of it. I just don't understand how they can play like they did for 70 minutes then look a totally different team for the final 30. Yes playing against 10 was helpful but the mind set seems all wrong at both management and player level when it comes to away games.

If it had stayed at 11v11 I doubt we would have got anything from the game and we would be having a debate again about the managers future. Everyone can see that Souza and Norwood can't play together, Hamer is out of position wide and there is no balance on the left.

Whatever limitations the players have there is no excuse for conceding their goal. The powder puff attempts at a challenge from Bogle and Souza and Norwood retreating backwards when he should have gone stood his ground were pathetic. This area is our biggest concern and needs addressing as playing a flat 3 without a natural left footer just isn't working. Hamer has to start in his natural position as a deep lying midfielder. Perm any one from 2 for the other role. Bogle is shocking defensively but going forward poses a threat. Maybe its time to go to 4 at the back with Bogle out wide in a 4-2-3-1 formation. It can't be any worse than the current offerings.

We continue to avoid the use of tactical subs during games to minimise injury. Its an area where PH has to accept criticism as the injury list shows little sign of reducing in size with all 3 today going off with problems.

We rode our luck today for the second week running. I'll take that as hopefully it will breed confidence. Bournemouth is a must win game. We need Mcb and Anel back and starting. The red shorts were a bonus. Proper kit and evoked memories of Bassets boys. If the current crop could attain 50% of the desire and commitment of that team we have a chance for the remainder of the season.

Agree with most of that Deadbat marks are close enough , maybe Trusty a mark higher
If you offered me the point before I’d have taken it so not to disappointed , I can understand Heckys reluctance to go for it as that’s how they set up and like to play , bring teams onto them , then pass and move at speed through them
I think they took us for granted after there Europe trip by making so many changes and thinking this is an easy one
We did what we needed to hang on in and make it difficult , like the Shoutbox darlings Luton do
Happy with a point off the bottom of the pile going into the international break ,
and hopefully 4 points from next 2 games

Hamer and Souza are really frustrating me. There's a player in both. I worry its our fault that we aren't getting the best out of either.
It seems a tweak in style or position might help Hamer but I've no idea how to turn Souza's form around because you can't watch men run past you when you're a holding midfielder.

Hamer and Souza are really frustrating me. There's a player in both. I worry its our fault that we aren't getting the best out of either.
It seems a tweak in style or position might help Hamer but I've no idea how to turn Souza's form around because you can't watch men run past you when you're a holding midfielder.
Hamer is being totally mismanaged and being played out of position, the shape is a big problem. Souza gets a lot of stick but he is sat next to Norwood and he absolutely needs a water carrier which also will restrict the work of Souza. We saw Hamer the last two years at Coventry and we are playing him either too far up or too far wide to accommodate a poor Norwood, and it appears to be a hill that Hecky is willing to die on

I usually trust the manager on these ones, because he sees a lot more in training than we do.

But Hecky has a bit of a bad track record now of getting these wrong and not using his best options. Last year it took way too long to drop Norwood for Doyle and it nearly cost us promotion. This year the failure to use Trusty at all in early season looks worse the more time passes and it’s clear Trusty is one of our better defenders at this level, while Hecky was relying on 35 y/o Bash (bless him)

I wouldn’t be surprised if Slimane turned out to add something, and later in the season we’ll regret not using him more. At the very least he has size and athleticism, at an age where he can improve, and 30 caps for a decent international side can’t be far wrong.

After the jubilation of the first victory just over a week ago, the Blades were able to build on this and pick up their first away point of the season, with a fighting draw at the Amex. After a poor first half when Adringa converted after a lovely run and one two, Brighton could and should have put the game away despite a weakened side. The Blades had struggled to make much headway at all but after a wild tackle from Dahoud saw the Brighton man sent off, the contest changed. Bogle’s cross was turned into his own net – remarkably the third own goal United have profited from this season – the Blades then could have gone on and won it! In the end, they will be content with a point and have moved off the bottom of the table before the next international break.

The Blades made one change with McAtee in for the injured Brewster and they seemed to be playing one up top as they did at Arsenal but with five at the back. Brighton rotated their side fresh from an impressive European road win in the week but had bags of talent and experience in their line up spearheaded by Barcelona loan man Fati.

United playing in a yellow and red strip which evoked memories of the early 90’s almost took an early lead after Van Hecke’s error from a throw in and Hamer reacted but his instinctive header as it bounced up went wide. However, the home side soon began to assert their domination and a ball through saw United wide open down the middle and Fati should have done better but shot at Foderingham.

Brighton continued to move through the away side easily with Heckingbottom’s side playing a strangely high line which seemed ripe to be picked off with one ball or run through. On 7 minutes the opener came. ADRINGA came in from the left and Bogle failed to stop his man. The winger then was allowed to run and run and Souza just let him go before the Brighton man played in Buonanotte whose clever wall pass saw it come back for Adringa who slotted home clinically. It was a lovely goal but atrocious defending with not one challenge incoming.

The Seagulls continued to dominate and the defence being on half way did not help the Blades. A ball through almost saw them in again in a very one-sided contest. Fati then got down the middle and hit a shot that Foderingham had to make the low save before another through ball and Lallana was close to getting his shot away. After 20 minutes, the Blades seemingly had not completed a move or series of passes in succession, let alone a meaningful attack after that early chance that came due to the Brighton error.

The home side had rested a number of players but the pace, movement and skill seemed a different level to the opposition and another move saw them dissect United before Thomas brought down his man. The free kick was flighted in and Webster should have scored but did not get enough contact. Soon after the Buonanotte was able to outmuscle Robinson and his shot went into the side netting. United somehow were only 1-0 down in a game they were not really competing in at all and it seemed like they had accepted they could not really hurt the home side. Fati was causing Trusty all sorts of problems and he wriggled away again but United managed to turn it behind for a corner.

With 10 minutes of the half left, United got in the home half and won a throw in and then a corner before Souza had to have treatment seemingly injuring his back. An effort finally came from the Blades but it was a woeful one as Bogle’s sliced effort did not even make it out for a throw in! Hamer then played a poor ball when Archer looked to get in as United at least finally had a mini spell in the game.

Bogle was beaten easily by Adringa at the other end and brought him down and was rightly cautioned. The ball in was punched clear by Foderingham but Gilmour hit a return effort towards goal on the volley but the keeper pushed over.

Hamer showed good work to get away and Buananotte cynically chopped him down to take the booking for the home side and United did force another corner but the effort as it came in was blocked just before the half time whistle went. Despite a better closing spell to the half, the game has been extremely one side and Brighton really will have thought they should have put the game away against a desperate Blades side who looked clueless in all aspects of the game, both with and without the ball.

Mitoma and Pedro came on for Buananotte and Lallana as Brighton looked to put United away after squandering so many first half opportunities to be in cruise control. Norwood committed two fouls in quick succession and there was a good chance when Adringa got in again and pulled it back for Pedro whose effort was curled over. Souza had tried to go on but was still struggling and he came off for Osborn.

Brighton had an appeal for a penalty as a cross struck Bogle who turned his back but it did hit his arm but fortunately for United VAR decided his arm was close enough to his body and did not come out enough. Brighton continued to dominate the ball but slowly United at least were able to get in the field and the first decent move of note came when Norwood and Baldock linked and the ball across was not anticipated by Archer who was on his heels

Trusty was beaten on halfway by Mitoma and as the Japanese international turned and got on the subsequent pass but Robinson made the last-ditch tackle. The corner came over and Van Hecke’s header was down but up and onto the top of the net. Brighton then had a series of chances and efforts as Mitoma’s effort after he went past Bogle too easily was saved at Foderingham’s near post. The same player than had a shot that Foderingham had to push away after the corner came out to him.

United were at least trying to find some space at the other end and Archer and McAtee combined well but as the ball came across, Bogle’s ball as overplayed and Hamer ran out of room. Adringa was booked for waving an imaginary yellow card after Thomas committed the foul. However, the next card was to prove crucial.

On 68 minutes, Dahoud made a ridiculous and dangerous lunge raking his foot down the back of Ben Osborn’s leg and the red card brandished was instant. The Brighton man did not protest and even came back to check on the welfare of the United substitute.

This instantly saw the home side make two changes with Veltman and Balema on for Gilmour and Fati. United were able to get level not long after. The ball was sent over to the left and Trusty managed to keep it alive and it was helped across, Bogle was able to take a touch and fire a ball across and WESBTER (OG) could only divert it into his own net under pressure from Webster.

De Zerbi was booked for his protests on the goal but it was unclear what his grievance was as there was no offence committed in the lead up to the goal. Brighton had lost their way completely since the red card and United now were the side who suddenly looked in control. Norwood and McAtee linked and the ball was cleared away but then at the other end Brighton had appeals for a free kick and corner turned away with frustration growing amongst the home fans.

The Blades had a great chance to take the lead when McAtee and then Archer moved it on superbly and it led to Bogle having a chance to have another positive contribution despite an otherwise difficult afternoon for the former Derby man. However, he pulled his shot wide when he really should have done much better.

McAtee got on a loose ball and went round Steele who was a long way off his line but could not get a shot or cross away and the ball was eventually cleared. United were now moving the ball around well and for the first-time controlling possession and looking composed after being second best for the first 70 minutes of the game. Thomas hit an effort over the bar and then Archer nearly got in before McAtee had to come off with cramp. Slimane came on for the City loanee.

Robinson seemed to get the ball in a challenge and his reaction suggested so but he was booked before United were able to get in a good area again but Bogle’s shot lacked power and was straight at Steele -this was remarkably United’s only effort on goal of the whole game – coming in the final minute.

The game moved into an additional 5 minutes and United then had a moment of concern as Bogle’s appeals for a foul was not given and Adringa was brought down by Thomas just outside the box. The free kick came to Mitoma but Bogle blocked the cross. The corner came over and Webster appealed in vain for a shirt pull on Robinson but with players on both sides grappling all over the box, it was unlikely to be awarded and Brighton from a position of complete control seemed a bit desperate. Bogle went down with a knock and Osula came on but little else happened and United will be happy after such a poor start to the game, to take a point and break the away losing streak, despite maybe having an opportunity to get all three in the end.

United – Delighted with a point which may sound off v 10 men for the final 20 minutes and us getting level and had a good chance to win in. In the end, I just did not want to give a stupid goal away on the break and with their quality I was just wanting us not to do anything daft. Granted we may say in a few weeks we maybe needed to go for it but after so many losses away and how we started today, I was just pleased to take something and a point no one really expected at the start.

Another desperate first half where we came out and just did not compete at all. The lack of tackling, intensity, and tempo on and off the ball was frighteningly bad. We had the chance via Hamer from their error but after this for almost 35 minutes we just did not compete. The goal summed it up as a run from the touchline was unchecked and we let him run and run and did not tackle at all. They had lots of other opportunities and our defensive line was bizarrely high. I get it if we were not playing a side with pace or runners but their plan was to break through and they did this time after time. I guess Hecky thought we have sat deep and lost every away game and inevitably conceded so let us compress the pitch but you can still do that and not be so high up. I felt we were ripe for conceding every time they came forward and one pass and they were in.

The two wing backs were nowhere near their men, the centre backs got turned time after time and the midfield slow and static passengers. Archer had no service but did not work hard enough when the ball went his way – to be honest it barely did. Overall, other than Wes, I cannot think of one positive thing from the first half. We had a corner and throw near the end but for the entire half almost, it was so one sided and only poor finishing and decisions from a second-string Brighton stopped us going in 3 or 4 down. I was not at Fulham; but it was as bad as it has been all season and we have had some bad showings!

Once again I had no idea what the plan was, with and without the ball. We just let them have it and seemed unable to even have a shape that stopped them coming through. We looked like we had no belief again and had forgotten about the efforts of the second half last week. When they put on two of their better players at half time I thought they would go on and win 2 or 3-0 at least and they did have a few chances but seemed to get complacent and we at least had a few attacks even before the red card but never really looking like scoring.

The red card completely changed the game. It was a stupid tackle and cost them the win. It was odd as I feel if they had kept going and attacking they still would win even with a numerical disadvantage but almost automatically sat back. They made changes and sort of panicked when they probably did not need to as would have got chances on the break. The goal was a bit lucky but a decent bit of pressure football. Bogle had a poor game but involved in a few of our better moments and then missed a good chance. The likes of Hamer and McAtee got on the ball more and improved hugely after the red card. It was strange as we were caught between going for it and just keeping it tight but kind of got the right balance. Sure, some will say we should have put more men forward and attacked more but we did have quite a lot of men in their box and I was actually worried when we lost it we had committed too many forward. I felt we tried to get a winner and some chances without being stupid. It is easy to say we should have created more but we have poor striking options. Brighton still had a few chances late on and we gave away some silly fouls. I was pleased in the end to just get a point as for 70 minutes and certainly the first 45 – we were never in it really. We started then to keep the ball after the red card and move them around. It was perhaps psychological for both sides that one man less/more changes how players approach things and we became more positive and they became more negative.

To take a draw on the back of a win is a good two weeks. It is a shame Bournemouth won and I am not sure this mini league of 4 will quite pan out. It seems the bottom three in my opinion are a long way off the rest when you look at teams like Fulham, Forest, Wolves and Everton all who are a lot better than us. The game v the Cherries in a few weeks is a big one though. We must start games better and not be so passive and inert in tackling/pressing opponents. We seem almost afraid and this feeling our way into games is seeing us lose most games before we have begun. I expect Ahmedhodzic and McBurnie back in for Bogle and Norwood or Souza and we need to play more front football. At the moment we look a long way short and waiting for something to happen or us to concede before we play is not good enough. Still the positive is, taking away the red card and the poor opening, we did do better after the break, got a goal (own goal out leading scorer and main man!), and played pockets of good stuff. We did not fold like we have in other away games and stayed in the game somehow before the final stages where we weirdly looked the better side. We have to build on that and now have a break and time to get a few back and hopefully can put in a complete/r performance in the next home game and face a run of vital games coming back.

Excellent report DB .

Keep up the good work . 👍

I usually trust the manager on these ones, because he sees a lot more in training than we do.

But Hecky has a bit of a bad track record now of getting these wrong and not using his best options. Last year it took way too long to drop Norwood for Doyle and it nearly cost us promotion. This year the failure to use Trusty at all in early season looks worse the more time passes and it’s clear Trusty is one of our better defenders at this level, while Hecky was relying on 35 y/o Bash (bless him)

I wouldn’t be surprised if Slimane turned out to add something, and later in the season we’ll regret not using him more. At the very least he has size and athleticism, at an age where he can improve, and 30 caps for a decent international side can’t be far wrong.
Hecky's choice of midfielders and lack of any plan for progression up the field is killing our play - it's like he doesn't see what every fan can see - when will the penny drop ?

Agree wholeheartedly with your comments about the lack of a game plan and tactical naivety. We were abysmal up to the red card. That changed the game and credit to the players we took advantage of it. I just don't understand how they can play like they did for 70 minutes then look a totally different team for the final 30. Yes playing against 10 was helpful but the mind set seems all wrong at both management and player level when it comes to away games.

If it had stayed at 11v11 I doubt we would have got anything from the game and we would be having a debate again about the managers future. Everyone can see that Souza and Norwood can't play together, Hamer is out of position wide and there is no balance on the left.

Whatever limitations the players have there is no excuse for conceding their goal. The powder puff attempts at a challenge from Bogle and Souza and Norwood retreating backwards when he should have gone stood his ground were pathetic. This area is our biggest concern and needs addressing as playing a flat 3 without a natural left footer just isn't working. Hamer has to start in his natural position as a deep lying midfielder. Perm any one from 2 for the other role. Bogle is shocking defensively but going forward poses a threat. Maybe its time to go to 4 at the back with Bogle out wide in a 4-2-3-1 formation. It can't be any worse than the current offerings.

We continue to avoid the use of tactical subs during games to minimise injury. Its an area where PH has to accept criticism as the injury list shows little sign of reducing in size with all 3 today going off with problems.

We rode our luck today for the second week running. I'll take that as hopefully it will breed confidence. Bournemouth is a must win game. We need Mcb and Anel back and starting. The red shorts were a bonus. Proper kit and evoked memories of Bassets boys. If the current crop could attain 50% of the desire and commitment of that team we have a chance for the remainder of the season.

Absolutely correct in terms of individual assessments and team formation .

With regard to Bogle , is he a decent footballer with a good degree of skill and an attacking threat ? The answer is a resounding yes .

Conversely , is he a player who can naturally mark tight on opposition wide players and get in blocks and tackles to prevent them setting up goal scoring opportunities ? And the answer to that is never in a million years .

For exactly the opposite reasons , Luke Thomas is also deficient but quite decent as a fullback .

Based on the above , for me the idea that we should continue to persevere with the approach of playing them as wingbacks is nonsensical and the results of doing so , both in terms of results and performances, are there for all to see .

So the answer is ………

Thanks DB. Hard to disagree with much of that.

Personally thought Norwood was pretty good in the second half, especially after the red, but yeah, Souza and Norwood doesn’t work at all.

Would be interested to see first and second half stat comparison. Souza made 4 passes in his 52 (actually 58) minutes on the pitch.

C
Can I ask, because I see this phrase a lot, what does it mean ‘there’s a player in there’ particularly regarding Souza? How many ineffective games does he have to have before we accept its his level?

Personally I’ve seen nothing from him to suggest this but it’s a phrase I see a lot and I’m interested to know what you see? Or is it truthfully just blind hope?

Thanks for the report Deadbat. Essential reading, especially as I didn't get to watch the game.

I was hoping we'd pick up where we left off in terms of the second half performance against Wolves, but it appears we went back to our usual tactic of sitting back hoping the opposition don't score. I think this has been discussed before and I don't pretend to be tactically more astute than the coaching staff, however it seems to me that by sitting off all the time, we're just waiting to concede. I don't think you can just do that for 90 minutes and expect any rewards. It's not even as if it's working, we've lost 9 out of 12 games.

I'd rather we were a bit braver and tried to get in the opposition faces and put them under some pressure just as we did second half last week. That proved to me that we can do it and it worked. I get that different opposition offer different challenges but I believe the old adage that if you haven't got the ball, then you can't play.

It sounds like we were lucky yesterday, firstly that Brighton were so wasteful in the first 70 minutes of the game and secondly the red card which changed the dynamic of the game. We can't rely on that kind of thing happening every week and 9 losses proves it doesn't.

Just to pick up on a few comments about Hamer earlier in this thread; we shouldn’t overlook his pass, excellent in vision and execution, which put Bogle in for the cross (shot?) which led to the equaliser. We don’t seem to be making the most of his talent yet but he has a lot to offer. On another topic from yesterday, Brighton’s programme (much more interesting than ours) contained an interview with their goalkeeping coach which showed how much detail they go into when recruiting new players. They wanted a new keeper this summer and apparently considered 100 candidates before making a signing. This level of diligence must go a long way to explaining their success in the transfer market. We should try to emulate them because shrewd management of resources is an important way to overcome the financial disadvantage which we are struggling with.

C

Can I ask, because I see this phrase a lot, what does it mean ‘there’s a player in there’ particularly regarding Souza? How many ineffective games does he have to have before we accept its his level?

Personally I’ve seen nothing from him to suggest this but it’s a phrase I see a lot and I’m interested to know what you see? Or is it truthfully just blind hope?
No I understand your question.
And it is all personal preference and guess work I suppose but piecing together what I've seen, there are tiny samples of what I like to see from a united player.
He loves a tackle, he's strong and he tends to win his duels (I remember seeing a stat when we signed him saying just that). I saw a gif of a trick he pulled off against Arsenal, he has fast feet and good technical ability with the ball. He also cares, wears his heart on his sleeve and seems to motivate people around him (I've seen that on behind the scenes videos too when the lads are training).

C

I’ve used it a couple of times, but not to describe these two.
In my case I use it if players have most of the required attributes for the job, but provide inconsistent evidence of it.

I’ve been very disappointed in Vini, although hope that he is still adjusting, and that he could kick on. He is in the top 3 for successful tackles in the whole premier league - so doesn’t go missing, and on occasions has shown both good passing range and even a useful shot (in the first couple of matches). But he’s not been the player I hoped for - yet!

I’m happier re Hamer, as he shows for the ball and usually looks forward. Although I think he should shoot more (and every other midfielder less!)

100% agree about Souza - disappointing. The way he seems to switch off and give the ball away is so frustrating. I think Tom Davies would have been in the midfield by now but for 'events'. Osborn and Anis seem to give us more impetus.

Also, what was the song we were singing near the end of the game? Finished with 'aaah ooooo!' Didn't hear at Fulham, West Ham or Arsenal.

Back
Top Bottom