Boxing Day 2016 - How to treat a fellow Blade

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

itsinyerblood

Reaction score
There's usually a free exchange on here that I think we'd all appreciate and value. But sometimes the bar is raised to levels that become intensely personal. I've been as guilty as any other poster in this respect, often the passions flow, the belief that an opinion needs to be responded to, and suddenly the tone and words escalate in ways that seem more relevant of the need to be proved right, rather than in defence of the original point.

Yesterday was exceptional. I don't stand in judgement of anyone, but sometimes it's impossible to ignore the vindictive nature of posters who only seem able to comment on one very unpleasant level. I'm not someone who believes that because we support the same team that we should extend courtesies for the sake of it. If a point is raised that we disagree with then that's why the forum exists, and there's certainly no hesitancy where this is concerned, Returning to the beginning of this paragraph, I noticed levels of hostility that were just one step from a display of violence. It puzzles me because we're not discussing the trials and tribulations that exist in the Middle East, it's football, plain and simple.

Sometimes I get the feeling that there's a tribal craving for something above the usual exchange of compliments, corrections, or even disagreements. Yesterday confirmed this in ways that I hope are rare occurrences, and not a sign of things to come. There's no subtext here about censoring anyone (that's not my responsibility), but I do wish that the synchronising of mind, lips, and fingertips, would be more evident on here. Isn't it more productive to construct a sentence or two along the lines of a well thought out message that doesn't allude to someone else's parentage, or whether they are genuinely related to the male or female genitalia, or whatever else the poster imagines is a quip worthy of a street poet. No points for imagining what this sort of poster will think in response to my thoughts, and I, as much as anyone on this forum, employ the flowery aspects of the English language more than most. But when trite, ill-considered comments quickly dashed off, replace taking a few minutes to consider what they intend to say, then that's when the quality of some of this forum takes a turn for the worse.

There's usually a free exchange on here that I think we'd all appreciate and value. But sometimes the bar is raised to levels that become intensely personal. I've been as guilty as any other poster in this respect, often the passions flow, the belief that an opinion needs to be responded to, and suddenly the tone and words escalate in ways that seem more relevant of the need to be proved right, rather than in defence of the original point.

Yesterday was exceptional. I don't stand in judgement of anyone, but sometimes it's impossible to ignore the vindictive nature of posters who only seem able to comment on one very unpleasant level. I'm not someone who believes that because we support the same team that we should extend courtesies for the sake of it. If a point is raised that we disagree with then that's why the forum exists, and there's certainly no hesitancy where this is concerned, Returning to the beginning of this paragraph, I noticed levels of hostility that were just one step from a display of violence. It puzzles me because we're not discussing the trials and tribulations that exist in the Middle East, it's football, plain and simple.

Sometimes I get the feeling that there's a tribal craving for something above the usual exchange of compliments, corrections, or even disagreements. Yesterday confirmed this in ways that I hope are rare occurrences, and not a sign of things to come. There's no subtext here about censoring anyone (that's not my responsibility), but I do wish that the synchronising of mind, lips, and fingertips, would be more evident on here. Isn't it more productive to construct a sentence or two along the lines of a well thought out message that doesn't allude to someone else's parentage, or whether they are genuinely related to the male or female genitalia, or whatever else the poster imagines is a quip worthy of a street poet. No points for imagining what this sort of poster will think in response to my thoughts, and I, as much as anyone on this forum, employ the flowery aspects of the English language more than most. But when trite, ill-considered comments quickly dashed off, replace taking a few minutes to consider what they intend to say, then that's when the quality of some of this forum takes a turn for the worse.
That,sir,is a quality post
Yesterday was ridiculous frankly

A couple of threads got a bit tasty where the subject of Leon Clarke was involved but personally I didn't see anything too unsavoury, although I may have missed the worst of it?

Agree with the sentiment of the OP though, thick skins or not we all support the same team and should at least keep it civil. I've over reacted to posters in the past, especially after a few sherbets but these days don't really see the point nor do I have the energy quite frankly.

A couple of threads got a bit tasty where the subject of Leon Clarke was involved but personally I didn't see anything too unsavoury, although I may have missed the worst of it?

Agree with the sentiment of the OP though, thick skins or not we all support the same team and should at least keep it civil. I've over reacted to posters in the past, especially after a few sherbets but these days don't really see the point nor do I have the energy quite frankly.
A bit tasty? nasty and offensive more like. When an argument needs to descend to those levels has it not already been lost?
Personally I think apologies to Foxy and Linz are in order.

A bit tasty? nasty and offensive more like. When an argument needs to descend to those levels has it not been lost?

Like I say I think I may have missed the worst bits. Agree with what you are saying, no need for stepping over the line.

Not much happened really. seanbeenstattoo offered an opinion and the clique found it unacceptable. All sorted now.

I was both suprised and disappointed that what was a genuine op was taken to be equivalent to thowing a pigs head into a Mosque.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion,and that was mine. Disagree all day long,that's normal and healthy,but I don't feel the abuse was justified and frankly I'm sick of the 2 stalkers Lincoln Blade and Top Cat,(Geetarman).
I don't have anything to apologise for and if my opinion upsets anyone that's there problem not mine. I disagree with a lot I read on here but try and argue a counter point. I will admit to extreme sarcasm,but that's just my humour be it on a forum or face to face.
Any manager or fan should want to see the perfect display every week from their team. Of course that isn't possible but if it isn't aimed for then that team will not progress and succeed.
We got 3 vital points yesterday. There were a good number of areas we were poor in and only by addressing them will they be improved on.
I've said it before but if it's only acceptable to post sycophantic babble then a forum has no merit or purpose whatsoever.
No-one on here is a bigger Blade than anyone else and the differences of opinion expressed only echo those aired in countless pubs around the City.

Oh calm down, I'm not your enemy.
Well it seems people like Brownie, me, and others are part of a clique.

The beauty of this place is that there aren't any - hence the regular over spilling of emotions.

Given that foxy or linz will be wasting their time cleaning up the carnage, fanning the flames again seems a bit off.

I was both suprised and disappointed that what was a genuine op was taken to be equivalent to thowing a pigs head into a Mosque.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion,and that was mine. Disagree all day long,that's normal and healthy,but I don't feel the abuse was justified and frankly I'm sick of the 2 stalkers Lincoln Blade and Top Cat,(Geetarman).
I don't have anything to apologise for and if my opinion upsets anyone that's there problem not mine. I disagree with a lot I read on here but try and argue a counter point. I will admit to extreme sarcasm,but that's just my humour be it on a forum or face to face.
Any manager or fan should want to see the perfect display every week from their team. Of course that isn't possible but if it isn't aimed for then that team will not progress and succeed.
We got 3 vital points yesterday. There were a good number of areas we were poor in and only by addressing them will they be improved on.
I've said it before but if it's only acceptable to post sycophantic babble then a forum has no merit or purpose whatsoever.
No-one on here is a bigger Blade than anyone else and the differences of opinion expressed only echo those aired in countless pubs around the City.
Given the depth of disagreement, it was clear your view of the game was off from the majority. Nothing wrong with that, but given that you did seem to object too much to the replies.

I don't think you have anything to apologise for, by the way.

UTB

Well it seems people like Brownie, me, and others are part of a clique.

The beauty of this place is that there aren't any - hence the regular over spilling of emotions.

Given that foxy or linz will be wasting their time cleaning up the carnage, fanning the flames again seems a bit off.

Fair enough, but whenever anyone posts something that stimulates discussion, the old "he's ex-Bladesmad let's get him" shit comes out. Not necessarily from you but from others and quite often. And that's a shitty way to treat fellow supporters of the same club. So I hope you'll understand if I have a bit of a bee in my bonnet about the situation.
I don't like divisiveness, especially when it's based on a false dichotomy.

Fair enough, but whenever anyone posts something that stimulates discussion, the old "he's ex-Bladesmad let's get him" shit comes out. Not necessarily from you but from others and quite often. And that's a shitty way to treat fellow supporters of the same club. So I hope you'll understand if I have a bit of a bee in my bonnet about the situation.
I don't like divisiveness, especially when it's based on a false dichotomy.
"Play the ball, not the man" :)

I don't have anything to apologise for and if my opinion upsets anyone that's there problem not mine.

Too much of this thought process these days. Opinions are great, free speech is great but there should be more behind it than "I think this and fuck you".

The fact that you blame everyone else for taking offence without a care for what they think says everything about where this place previously held together but now is coming unhinged at the seams.

The Tyler v Pinchy thing was frankly pathetic and both are capable of so much more input than the shit currently being thrown around.

I'm sure I'll be told something nice like my tampon fell out but I know many people who post on here less these days because of the demeanour of a loud minority.

"Play the ball, not the man" :)

Anyway, just to clarify my problem isn't with you or the vast majority of people on here. For the little that it's worth I think you're a decent contributor and I often find myself in agreement with what you have to say.
So therefore I extend my apologies for coming across a bit twattish in my first post.

Fair enough, but whenever anyone posts something that stimulates discussion, the old "he's ex-Bladesmad let's get him" shit comes out. Not necessarily from you but from others and quite often. And that's a shitty way to treat fellow supporters of the same club.

I agree with you on that.

As for cliques, I'm in one so exclusive there's only me in it.

PS Love the new 'do' LYDON. Yer look like Gladys Knight.

Over to Foxy and Linz to decide whether yellow cards, red cards or season long bans are needed. Otherwise the OP is meaningless.

NOT GOOD ENOUGH take 2!

Anyway, just to clarify my problem isn't with you or the vast majority of people on here. For the little that it's worth I think you're a decent contributor and I often find myself in agreement with what you have to say.
So therefore I extend my apologies for coming across a bit twattish in my first post.

I'll be honest when you are lucid you write some of the best football based threads around IMO. When you go for Pinchy however the pair of you leave me cold.

Dichotomies don't make for useful discussion when they are false. I can see what Done and Clarke bring to the team and relative circumstances dictate which skill set is most appropriate. It isn't either or, same with Hoof vs Tikka Takka.

I'll be honest when you are lucid you write some of the best football based threads around IMO. When you go for Pinchy however the pair of you leave me cold.

I appreciate that.

It needs to stop really. I realise how tedious and attritious it looks from the outside.

Back
Top Bottom