BladesPod: Paul Coutts Tribute & Whole Squad Player Ratings

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Beans

Reaction score
Afternoon all,

Put together a mammoth podcast where we rate every single one of United's squad out of 10 for this season, and also discuss their individual best moment and whether we think they'd be good enough for the Premier League.

The episode kicks off with a tribute to Paul Coutts - had to spend at least a little bit of time discussing the lad and his United career. Then, player ratings kick in at 13:40, done by position group:

- fringe players (less than 200 mins played): 14:30
- goalkeepers (17:38)
- centre-backs (22:09)
- wingbacks (40:37)
- midfielders (51:56)
- strikers (1:14:30)

Cheers as always for listening, and UTB!

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/bladespod/id1309198119?mt=2

https://open.spotify.com/show/6wLq5qaiQ123cLHHMnTixJ

In the beginning God created the 3:4:1:2 formation, with over lapping centre backs, heavens and the earth. Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the pitch.

And God said, “Let there be Coutts” and then there was light at the end of the tunnel. God saw that Coutts was good, and he separated the light from the Shyte. God called the light “day,” and the darkness he called “night.” And there was evening, and there was morning—the first day.

The genesis :).

UTB

brilliant again fellas, a fantastic podcast and a must listen. Pretty much agree with you on your ratings. The midfield does worry me a bit, in terms of pace and mobility. We do need a few players bringing in for sure. Its going to be a interesting summer.

Afternoon all,

Put together a mammoth podcast where we rate every single one of United's squad out of 10 for this season, and also discuss their individual best moment and whether we think they'd be good enough for the Premier League.

The episode kicks off with a tribute to Paul Coutts - had to spend at least a little bit of time discussing the lad and his United career. Then, player ratings kick in at 13:40, done by position group:

Where's the tribute to a player who really worked his socks off in the last few seasons, Leon.

Going to be sadly missed - if for his leadership in the dressing room if nothing else.

Will miss that mo fo.

Within reason - whoever he signs for will be the second scoreline I look for from now on...

In the beginning God created the 3:4:1:2 formation, with over lapping centre backs, heavens and the earth. Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the pitch.

And God said, “Let there be Coutts” and then there was light at the end of the tunnel. God saw that Coutts was good, and he separated the light from the Shyte. God called the light “day,” and the darkness he called “night.” And there was evening, and there was morning—the first day.

The genesis :).

UTB
And God was pleased with his creation and happiness reigned all over the land he named Bramall Lane

Great pod as always! Going to miss you guys over the summer

“He doesn’t do enough as a right wingback” – when I said this a week ago, identifying it as a position we need to upgrade on Baldock for next season, I was told that this was “horseshit”. So thanks Blades Analytics for being the second member of Team Horseshit. Pin badge and membership card is in the post.

Afternoon all,

great work again boys, cant disagree with any of that. UTB

“He doesn’t do enough as a right wingback” – when I said this a week ago, identifying it as a position we need to upgrade on Baldock for next season, I was told that this was “horseshit”. So thanks Blades Analytics for being the second member of Team Horseshit. Pin badge and membership card is in the post.

That simply doubles the error. Baldock is an excellent wing-back. I’ve seen him play, on grass, with my eyes.

That simply doubles the error. Baldock is an excellent wing-back. I’ve seen him play, on grass, with my eyes.

Enda Stevens is the bar for excellent in that position. If you think we’re getting Stevens levels of output from right wingback, then I’m afraid you possibly need your eyes replacing. Baldock’s good in that position, with his strengths being his athleticism and his defensive qualities. But he doesn’t do enough when he has the ball in the final third. I’d like us to bring someone in that offers something in all aspects of what’s an important position for us.

I think if we were still in the Championship there’d be an argument that Baldock should be left to improve in that position next season. The fact we’ve moved up a division makes that less ideal, and I can see Wilder this summer bringing someone in for that position.

Enda Stevens is the bar for excellent in that position. If you think we’re getting Stevens levels of output from right wingback, then I’m afraid you possibly need your eyes replacing. Baldock’s good in that position, with his strengths being his athleticism and his defensive qualities. But he doesn’t do enough when he has the ball in the final third. I’d like us to bring someone in that offers something in all aspects of what’s an important position for us.

I think if we were still in the Championship there’d be an argument that Baldock should be left to improve in that position next season. The fact we’ve moved up a division makes that less ideal, and I can see Wilder this summer bringing someone in for that position.

Baldock has deservedly become our first choice, but I agree it's one position where we should be looking to strengthen. When that's done, I reckon Freeman is likely to leave. I like him too, but his impact has been gradually reduced and he hasn't looked as fit and energetic this season.

I agree, at the risk of repeating myself from the pod - Baldock's defensive qualities and athleticism are why I think he'll be decent enough in the PL (he's one of the least-dribbled-past players in the Champ at his position) but we'll need him to be better going the other way too.

He is only 26 and we've already seen players improve dramatically under Wilder, Enda being an obvious comparison. So hopefully he'll take a big leap forward this year. But I do agree, as Bergen Blade says, that we'll probably be looking to strengthen here which will probably mean Freeman getting bumped out and potentially Baldock becoming second choice.

Back
Top Bottom