Big turn out on the cards from Saints fans.

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Oh Bergers you little Scandinavian beauty. You've just stuck a large spanner in mattbianco1's argument by stating that formations are how teams line up defensively - just as I said earlier - and that after Matty B cited you as the formation Oracle. :D

One way of explaining how we play is to differentiate between how the players line up defensively, and how they move forward/contribute when we attack. Sometimes arrows can help explain this:

2014-15 formation1.jpg 2014-15 formation.jpg

I'm afraid Nuddy will let nothing get in the way of his admirable efforts to denigrate the club he claims to support. In this context 'nothing' includes established facts, the truth and common sense.

Best EVER trip to Wembly for the football that was. Feck me I've seen the Blades score three at Wembley.

Ha ha ha ha
Baxter doesn't move

Chuckle :D

Bit harsh, but relative to the others he doesn't make many runs in behind teams or down the channels. I could have put some arrows to the sides or even backwards, as that would have shown some of his movement pattern.

If we compare the last one to last season's very dynamic 4-5-1 we're not quite there yet:

4-5-1%20Formation.jpg

I'm afraid Nuddy will let nothing get in the way of his admirable efforts to denigrate the club he claims to support. In this context 'nothing' includes established facts, the truth and common sense.

Not denigrating the club at all.

Bet you it would have been a spanking if the score had been reversed.

Hull did spank us at Wembley.

But that's by the by.
We weren't spanked at all. We lost by 2 goals. Would you class 2-0 as a spanking?

We were bloody superb that day and the quality of Huddlestone was the difference. Probably my best day as a Blade that. Seems strange to say that considering we lost.

Oh Bergers you little Scandinavian beauty. You've just stuck a large spanner in mattbianco1's argument by stating that formations are how teams line up defensively - just as I said earlier - and that after Matty B cited you as the formation Oracle. :D

(Well done with the hospital team promotions btw - top job)
Keep up he good posts ;)

I still don't see how that puts a spanner in my argument. With the formation we play we have 4 attack minded players
Flynn, Scougall, Murphy
Baxter
I would like to see Baxter take Scougalls role with McNulty up front.
Flynn, Baxter, Murphy
McNulty
The formation we play is definatily more attack mind than a flat 4-4-2 formation.

Howard
Alcock Basham McEveley Harris
Flynn Doyle Baxter Murphy
Higdon McNulty
Or even a diamond...
Howard
Alcock Basham McEveley Harris
Doyle
Flynn Murphy
Baxter
Higdon McNulty

Not denigrating the club at all.

Bet you it would have been a spanking if the score had been reversed.

To my mind, a "spanking"* is something like a 5-0 defeat where we barely get out of our half and the other side look like they will score every time they attack.

In the Hull game, we were the best team in the first half, they overran us for 20 minutes after HT, they then sat back content with their two goal cushion, we then scored in the last minute and were pushing forward for an equaliser in injury time when they broke away and restored the two goal cushion.

Hardly a spanking.

* No, don't go there.....

People need to remember formations in football usually describe how a team lines up defensively when the opposition start an attack. 4-6-0 would assume that Baxter dropped down alongside the midfielders. He doesn't.
I was jesting Bergs!
I think people are struggling to differentiate between a formation and the players on the pitch. 4-5-1 is the formation, 4-6-0 is the selection of players.

We are playing a midfielder up front, and surprisingly, for the most part he's not as good as a natural centre forward. It's as simple as that.
I was jesting Daz!

And for the record,i personally think if you get enough good players on the pitch in this league you don't need to worry yourselves with formations.

Back
Top Bottom