Bettis radio sheff tomorrow

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

So I've already covered the recruitment overhaul, new head of, new supporting roles. He also said all would be in place prior to the summer, with one offer already having been made, and they're down to a shortlist of the HO. That was after the 10 minute mark but it very much sounds like Wilder is running the recruitment show.
Not too sure what you're wanting on him for the last window, he's clearly not going to call anyone out or talk about individual signings being poor. That would be hugely unprofessional and counter productive. He did say Illiman wasn't replaceable but he thought Sander had been replaced effectively, which I don't believe is the case. He either rates Souza higher than I've seen so far, or he's meaning Davis who has been more effective at PL level than Berge but I wouldn't say he's a effective replacement right now. He did say views on Sander were hugely mixed, which they were, with many not happy with him and given his consistency of performances particularly in big games that's certainly true.
I suspect he was referring to Hamer when talking about Berge's replacement because thats who SB referenced in his previous interview with Staton.

Shy of someone else stumping up lots of cash, what would you do?

Please avoid “long term planning” and other such meaningless guff.
As long as long term planning remains meaningless guff we won't be getting far.
In the shorter term, install people in positions of power who don't sound helpless and accept failure, create a far better scouting and recruitment system, don't sell your best players when you're embarking on a season in the Premier League, don't buy crap players who are no doubt being paid wages far in excess of their contribution, don't start seasons in absolute chaos, etc, etc.
Most of all in terms of the interview though, just don't sound so bleedin' helpless and accepting of failure as if it's just a natural outcome for United.

As long as long term planning remains meaningless guff we won't be getting far.
In the shorter term, install people in positions of power who don't sound helpless and accept failure, create a far better scouting and recruitment system, don't sell your best players when you're embarking on a season in the Premier League, don't buy crap players who are no doubt being paid wages far in excess of their contribution, don't start seasons in absolute chaos, etc, etc.
Most of all in terms of the interview though, just don't sound so bleedin' helpless and accepting of failure as if it's just a natural outcome for United.
I meant define what "long term planning" actually means, not that planning itself is guff. ;)

I did listen to it in the background so I'm sorry if I've missed it but..

Do we need to sell any players on relegation to raise funds for running the club? (Away from the Archer deal)

I'm also guessing we need to sell if we want newer players signed on fees aswell.

Anel, Souza and Hamer are the only ones we can realistically get fees for.

No I honestly don't think you did get my point which is why you've gone off on a tangent. You're arguing against something I haven't really said.

How many goals did Hogan and Madine get us? How many in the Prem the season we finished 9th?
My point about Hogan and Madine was they “helped us get promoted” - but at a fraction of the cost that Mcburnie has cost us.

Most people would have Didzy in the team before him.

My point about Hogan and Madine was they “helped us get promoted” - but at a fraction of the cost that Mcburnie has cost us.

Most people would have Didzy in the team before him.

But the 'help' they provided in getting us promoted was/is in no way comparable with the 'help' that McBurnie provided. They shouldn't even be being discussed in the same sentence.

Hang on though

Gyokeres was sold for circa £20m having just scored 21 goals in the championship aged 24
Mcburnie was sold for circa £20m having just scored 22 goals in the championship aged 23

Quite amusingly, Swansea actually signed Gyokeres on loan in 2020/21 where he could only muster 3 in 19. Now I'm not saying Mcburnie is better than Gyokeres (I actually think he could easily be playing in that 5th - 10th zone in the prem) but Mcburnie played in 36 games in the season we finished 9th...(the other two games he was on the bench) - his fitness has been up and down since but he was also hitting stats similar to Mitrovic before his injury last year (I believe Beans spoke about this on the pod at the time)

6 goals you call pathetic yet it was more than the likes of Iheanacho, Che Adams, Origi amogst others and his overall game was (and still is) key to us getting and staying up the right end of the pitch.
I agree overall the outlay probably dosn't match the return - but to call him an average championship striker is simply nonsense.
i would have the 3 strikers you highlighted in your last paragraph all day long in front of mcburnie all 3 are way better than him in terms of quality mind im bias as most know on here never rated mcburnie and never will hes been here long enough time to get rid

I suspect he was referring to Hamer when talking about Berge's replacement because thats who SB referenced in his previous interview with Staton.
Great call. Not good that I’d totally forgot about him though.
I’m happy to concede that Hamer is an effective replacement then.

But the 'help' they provided in getting us promoted was/is in no way comparable with the 'help' that McBurnie provided. They shouldn't even be being discussed in the same sentence.

Who should be discussed in the same sentence?

Leon Clarke scored 28? goals for us in that league?
Other notable higher scorers of that league for other teams in recent years who are a million miles better than Mcburnie AND most cost less, Toney, Watkins, Bowen, Adams, Mitro, Brereton, Solanke.

He has been poor value.

I did listen to it in the background so I'm sorry if I've missed it but..

Do we need to sell any players on relegation to raise funds for running the club? (Away from the Archer deal)

I'm also guessing we need to sell if we want newer players signed on fees aswell.

Anel, Souza and Hamer are the only ones we can realistically get fees for.
It wasn’t covered, and I guess he’s not going to confirm the size of the hole we need to fill.
Common belief seems to be that sides need to generate £30-40m upon relegation to cover losses. Given our contract situation are we likely to be at the far end of that, I’m not so sure?
I’d personally expect at least one if not two of those three to be sold, probably the two former.

Thats assuming there is no financial support coming in via investment of course.

It wasn’t covered, and I guess he’s not going to confirm the size of the hole we need to fill.
Common belief seems to be that sides need to generate £30-40m upon relegation to cover losses. Given our contract situation are we likely to be at the far end of that, I’m not so sure?
I’d personally expect at least one if not two of those three to be sold, probably the two former.

Thats assuming there is no financial support coming in via investment of course.
Cheers FB. I suppose we expect at least one major sale. (Which I'm not fussed on who it is)

Cheers FB. I suppose we expect at least one major sale. (Which I'm not fussed on who it is)
I’d be shocked if we held onto everyone and probably a little disappointed as it will mean less for sales/loans. But I don’t know anything any better than others who may see it differently.

Last edited:
Who should be discussed in the same sentence?

Leon Clarke scored 28? goals for us in that league?
Other notable higher scorers of that league for other teams in recent years who are a million miles better than Mcburnie AND most cost less, Toney, Watkins, Bowen, Adams, Mitro, Brereton, Solanke.

He has been poor value.

If you’re going to discuss players who had a hand in getting us promoted then it should be anyone who had a significant impact. McBurnie did, Madine and Hogan certainly didn’t.

not as great but not super expensive (Anel, Egans, Norwood)
I've read some shit on this forum but this takes the biscuit, Norwood and Egan were absolutely genius bits of business 6 years in the first team involved in multiple promotions ffs and Anel will lead to a comfortable profit when he leaves even if he has been poor this season

This just came back to me, but Bettis said something along the lines of, "there are some players who won't want to play in the Championship next season, there are a couple in my mind but they're on long contracts so we should be able to recover some money on them".

I'm completely paraphrasing there, but that was the gist of it. My immediate thoughts are Anel and Souza, but whoever it is, I think we can expect some contracted players to leave along with the exodus of players out of contract.
They’ve not done their chances of getting a PL club for next season any good though.

U pick 1 game out look at 80% of the rest where he's been fucking shite
No. Lots of games his defensive work has been noted by many people . He was joint too goal scorer in a promotion season.

You have your opinion and blinkers on if you can't see what he brings. He's one of our few players I would be annoyed if he went to a division rival!

No. Lots of games his defensive work has been noted by many people . He was joint too goal scorer in a promotion season.

You have your opinion and blinkers on if you can't see what he brings. He's one of our few players I would be annoyed if he went to a division rival!
I've got no blinkers on neither would I sign a striker because he's good defensively 🤣 fml.. He scored 13 league goals in a very poor championship (so people said) Leon Clarke scored 19 in a very strong championship just after coming out of lg1. Mcburnie will always split opinions and my opinion is he's dog shit and I for one will be happy to see the back of him and couldn't care less where he ends up!

I've got no blinkers on neither would I sign a striker because he's good defensively 🤣 fml.. He scored 13 league goals in a very poor championship (so people said) Leon Clarke scored 19 in a very strong championship just after coming out of lg1. Mcburnie will always split opinions and my opinion is he's dog shit and I for one will be happy to see the back of him and couldn't care less where he ends up!
Meanwhile in the real world we are obviously better when he plays 🤷‍♂️ I think Robinson is crap but I can admit this season he hasn't been the bomb scare he was in the past. I can take blinkers off. It seems you can't. He's a key player in a promotion side. Considering how few of them we have perhaps you have a unreasonable expectation of who were are likely to ever get.

But Leon had the advantage of playing in a team that was almost always far better than its opponents.
I'm not sure that McBurnie has ever had that benefit whilst playing for us 😔

im late to this as i couldnt listen live

but hes not a populaat figure at the lane. but i cant disagree with what he's says about berge, understandably the loyalty & sympathy will be with berge because of past events. but hearing what had seemingly gone on the 6 months before he had to go. & ive heard this before that he or his agent seem to be quite 2 faced. "i love this club" in public & then in private quite scathing that he want to leave, he had no interest in even discussing another contract & regardless of results. we couldve gone up as champions & won the fa cup. berge was still dead set on leaving

that actually make me think we did correct thing on cashing in berge might have been terrible this season because when your losing 5, 6 & 8-0. any players that been forced to see out last yr that seemingly said to the board i want to leave, ive no interest in even discussing another contract. isnt going to be busting a gut, giving 100% at 4-0 down. theyll be coasting as we have seen with a few this season, as you can have all the talent in the world but it means nothing without the effort

iu

Honestly the way the fans are treated with this is beyond a joke . Sure the owner is remote in Saudi . Yes we have a fan engagement group according to Jon Halliwell who I contacted regarding but I’m still confused how it works . I’m a season ticket holder for 25 years plus right and all I get is a comical Ali interview with radio North Korea fuck sake . HOW ABOUT treating us as loyal customers and actually writing to us individually ( yes you have our names and address) explaining the crack and allowing us to respond in return. Fat chance . The next state communication will doubtless be the limited one regarding the urgency to renew our ST’s . Start treating the fans with more respect .

Honestly the way the fans are treated with this is beyond a joke . Sure the owner is remote in Saudi . Yes we have a fan engagement group according to Jon Halliwell who I contacted regarding but I’m still confused how it works . I’m a season ticket holder for 25 years plus right and all I get is a comical Ali interview with radio North Korea fuck sake . HOW ABOUT treating us as loyal customers and actually writing to us individually ( yes you have our names and address) explaining the crack and allowing us to respond in return. Fat chance . The next state communication will doubtless be the limited one regarding the urgency to renew our ST’s . Start treating the fans with more respect .
I went to school with Jon, he's a good lad and Blade through and through. He's been at the Lane far longer than the current regime so certainly isn't one of the issues. I'm sure if you speak to him about things within his remit he'll be more than willing to help, but probably the inner workings of the finances and future direction of the club aren't really in his gift.

To be honest, I find all this whining a bit sad. Not just from you, there’s plenty like it. It’s social media’s fault. People feel like they’re entitled to constant updates about nothing. What exactly do you feel you need writing to individually about? Stop being so needy. 🙄

But Leon had the advantage of playing in a team that was almost always far better than its opponents.
I'm not sure that McBurnie has ever had that benefit whilst playing for us 😔
But surely if he's as good as what Berkshire Blade makes out then he'd stand out a mile in a poor team wouldn't he?

But surely if he's as good as what Berkshire Blade makes out then he'd stand out a mile in a poor team wouldn't he?
Nobody is claiming he's world class but the "he's shit I don't like him he's shit" people just look silly all the evidence points to him being a football end championship player

Back
Top Bottom