Bettis radio sheff tomorrow

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Questions you would ask?

1. Billy Sharp. Why was he promised a new contract? Why was his exit dealt with so poorly? Why did you see fit to overrule Heckingbottom’s desire to keep him, only to leave the dressing room shot and leave us with the strike partnership of Osula and Traore for the first 2 games of the season?

100% this. Billy should have been leading the line for us in the Prem, he's shown at Hull he can still rip it up in the Championship so would have done the same for us against the elite and we would be pushing for Europe.
Is that really the first question you would ask Bettis......?:rolleyes:

If you aren't in the room to ensure the questions are worded correctly and then followed up it's a waste of time.
You can sit on stage and give stock answers to deflect far too easy, but I doubt the vast majority in the room will have sat down and worked out their question, the likely responses and counter points, so it'll be an hour of no real benefit.

Are we buying players next year? Yeah we'll be busy in the transfer market and we're already talking about targets, but it's not just as easy as wanting a player to sign.
What's happening with the training group? Well we've just given a big announcement that we're all excited about and is a huge step forward for us as a club, showing a huge commitment from the owner.
What's happening with the Manager? It wouldn't be right for me to get into details but Chris has been out talking to the Prince face to face, and decision will be made and shared in due course.
What has this season been such a shit show? We're operating in a difficult market and Paul did an excellent job getting us promoted but the start to the season highlighted that we needed to go in a different direction. In fairness to Chris, he's then having to work with what he's got......

It's all too fucking easy.
Totally agree - it would be much more enlightening if they limited it to about 2 questions, then really dug into and challenged the answers. Every fans forum I've ever heard has been a waste of time in the way you describe.

Reactions: Dkc
I’m fairly sure my question 1 wouldn’t be about Billy Sharp.

Personally I don’t think he would’ve been good enough this season, but I don’t think Traore was any better and he cost a few million plus Sharp has proved lots of us wrong before in terms of when we thought he was finished. And Heckingbottom wanted him to stay.

My main issue, though, is how the club dealt with the exit of a living Sheffield United legend. When promotion was confirmed, they should’ve been up front and told him it’s over, let the fans know and then we could’ve had the last 2/3 games giving him a good send off.

Instead they strongly suggested he’d get one more year and let him go through that ordeal with the parade at the end of the season.

I don’t think he’s ever been questioned on the handling of his exit and would like to hear his side. If they offered him a deal on less wages and he turned it down I’d get his side, but Sharp has since said he’d of played for any money, so who knows.
Traore was bought as a development player - cheap by current standards ( certainly in fee, and I expect in salary), with significant risk ( as always when you are shopping in that market) and significant potential upside. His profile is a good fit with our stated recruitment strategy. We can’t blame Traore for the fact that he was thrown straight into the Premier League.
I can live with our stated recruitment strategy - it’s all we can afford under the current ownership. Where it falls over is in the fact that we don’t have a competitive first team squad for life in the Premier League, into which emerging talents can be gently integrated. Given that we couldn’t afford a different strategy, I don’t see what else the management could usefully do other than stick with the medium term plan and face the inevitable and painful short term consequences. I don’t think this exonerates the recruitment team - pretty much all of our signings over the summer fell into the development strategy, but some have yet to show the potential to justify that label.

Fully agree with your comments about Billy. I have loved watching him over the years, and he will always be a club legend in my eyes, but he is strongly on the wane, and it was the right time to part company. We managed to make a complete balls up of the handling and communication.

The point is heckingbottom wanted him to stay, so why does he think he knows better than the manager?

Regardless of how involved a manager is in a club's recruitment process, at some point you need to be able to say "You're wanting to extend the contract of a striker who is 37 and has scored two goals all season? When we're playing at a higher level this season? Go home Paul, you're drunk"

We'll have to see which fans are going to be asking the questions, whether we get some serious questions or if we end up with idiots who keep asking him the same question in different words because they don't like the answer.

Given the regular blades fans who call Radio Sheffield, I'm not too optimistic that this will work out.

Personally I don’t think he would’ve been good enough this season, but I don’t think Traore was any better and he cost a few million plus Sharp has proved lots of us wrong before in terms of when we thought he was finished. And Heckingbottom wanted him to stay.

100% that if we'd kept him (and in all likelihood he remained goalless) there would have been hundreds on here saying "Why didn't we take a gamble on young, fast striker? It can't do any harm."

OK more reasonable question:

Given the huge scale of the squad rebuild required after this season, which may take longer than a season to complete... is it not detrimental to the squad rebuild that the manager only has 1 year left on his contract?

Hi Mr Bettis, you're clearly awful at your job, have you considered resigning?
I think that's hugely subjective to be honest.
I say this as someone who think he get's an unfair hard time, but you've no idea what objectives he's been tasked or what scope he has to deliver "success".

That would actually be a good question that he can't bluff around too much.

"Steven, Can you please advise us what objectives you are set by the Owner and the board, both on the field and off, for Year 1, 2 and 3, and what does success look like against each?

Whatever he answers, he should be held accountable for.

OK more reasonable question:

Given the huge scale of the squad rebuild required after this season, which may take longer than a season to complete... is it not detrimental to the squad rebuild that the manager only has 1 year left on his contract?
Answer : no, it is not detrimental.
The strategy has to be long term. The plan to deliver the strategy has to be medium term. The people charged with successfully delivering the plan can be short term/medium term/long term, based on evidence of their successful performance.

The strategy has to be long term. The plan to deliver the strategy has to be medium term. The people charged with successfully delivering the plan can be short term/medium term/long term, based on evidence of their successful performance.
Indeed. If anything it is beneficial to know you're not pandering to the short termist whims of whoever is doing the coaching right now and are looking to the longer term interests of the club. There'll be a few "but I want Kieffer Moore and I want it now now now" crybabies but fuck them

I think that's hugely subjective to be honest.
I say this as someone who think he get's an unfair hard time, but you've no idea what objectives he's been tasked or what scope he has to deliver "success".

That would actually be a good question that he can't bluff around too much.

"Steven, Can you please advise us what objectives you are set by the Owner and the board, both on the field and off, for Year 1, 2 and 3, and what does success look like against each?

Whatever he answers, he should be held accountable for.

It’s Stephen!

Accountable for what’s in his remit.

I didn't even know he'd been on air yet!

Part of me thinks its fucking hilarious that were rock bottom of the premier league, getting smashed for 5 and 6 at home almost every game..

And all we can think to ask bettis is "what about Billy Sharp"

Fair play to Bettis for going on R-Sheff to answer questions
Staton will try to smooth it over with every caller, and stop them if it gets a bit heated. Us having a shambles of a season suits him fine even though his club are shit as well.

Staton will try to smooth it over with every caller, and stop them if it gets a bit heated. Us having a shambles of a season suits him fine even though his club are shit as well.
Just why would it get a bit heated,are you making something out of nothing again ?

In defence of the poster I don’t think he’s arguing that Sharp should have been given a new contract. He’s saying Sharp should have been informed of the decision earlier to not give him a contract and we could have given him the send off that he absolutely deserved.

Whether it’s a priority question to put to Bettis 9 months on is debatable, but some of you don’t half pile in sometimes on posters who are just giving their opinion.

That Michael must be so lonely hovering over his phone from 5pm every night,spouting the same boring shite,100% on a par with the Toytown caller every night,and as for 2:1 Ken bless him can't you just imagine him in his jumper and a picket full of wethers toffees
I agree wi yer mate, I agree wi yer 🤣

Here's a question
How about everyone on here who, s asked a question ring the show and then we might not get 2-1 Ken or Brian or Michael asking non relevant ones

In defence of the poster I don’t think he’s arguing that Sharp should have been given a new contract. He’s saying Sharp should have been informed of the decision earlier to not give him a contract and we could have given him the send off that he absolutely deserved.

Whether it’s a priority question to put to Bettis 9 months on is debatable, but some of you don’t half pile in sometimes on posters who are just giving their opinion.
Yeah this sums it up! There are more pressing questions for sure, I just think the Sharp debacle says a lot about how poorly the club is being run. I don’t like seeing him on podcasts saying negative things about us, a well run club doesn’t let that situation occur.

Is it a phone in, or are RS asking the questions?

Back
Top Bottom