Beggars at the Feast

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Never never never has been for me and will never be for me . Its geared up for the elite it is a closed shop and the officials know it .Every little club that gets in this league has not got a chance ,The sooner these clubs fuck off and become a member of a european super the league the better for all other clubs in England .
Aye
Apart from the fact that the ‘next 6’ inherit the ‘big balls Bertie’ mantle:-
Spewcastle Villa & Forest already dusting down & rehearsing their big club mantras following recent ‘success’

Premier Leaguefor the most part has been boring and predictable, bar the season Leicester won it. Man United cherrypicked the best players in the 90’s, then Chelsea, then City etc. etc.

My favourite seasons were the ones where you legit didn’t know what the fuck was going to happen. Now you can easily pick the 6.

Go on then
(& remind us in May)
I’m sure you predicted Brighton & no Chelsea (or Spurs) last season

Hi Stegosaurus here

You better all hope we stay up. I don't watch Championship football, so if we go down, I'll likely limit my posting here and I'll go back to supporting my 2nd choice team.
Pray for rain 🙏

Explain Brighton and Brentford to name the most recent...? Did they bribe everyone from here to there? Even ourselves finishing 9th, when we might have finished 5th or 6th without the pandemic.

Overall/longterm money talks unfortunately, but that's a world problem as well as a football problem.

I understand a lot of frustrations. There's a lot I dislike about football pyramid and the financial side of things... however, a good team can always do alright for itself.

We're far from relegated.
i agree with most what you said and Brighton and Brentford do have the money that we dont have but its such things has the sub ruling where a top club with players on the side lines that could walk into most clubs first teams that are unfair. It allows them to change the outfield players in one swoop where as smaller clubs have probably a bench made up of fringe players and academy young lads . As you say the top clubs with their financial clout are so out of sight that smaller clubs just can not compete.

not drivel at all why do the big clubs have two votes on decision making unlike smaller clubs who have the one ? They are greedy bastards who dictate how other lesser clubs work .
Obviously, each and every club in the Premier League has one, and just one, vote in decision making. Where do Football Myths like this doozie come from?

fantastic post best ive seen on here for ages all those championship teams fans that are gurgling at the thought of premier league football should read it the grass isnt always greener on the other side the only incentive of getting in the premier league is money these days i dont think it will be that many years before we have an elite super premier league of 12 clubs with only 1 relegated each season
Go
If you don't care if we get relegated then what's the point in even supporting us?

You say you love the Championship but you don't really, do you? How many Championship matches did you watch this weekend?

And we're definitely not pissing on anybody's chips in the Premier League. Quite the opposite. We've gifted three points to everyone we've played so far except Everton. Everybody loves
If you don't care if we get relegated then what's the point in even supporting us?

You say you love the Championship but you don't really, do you? How many Championship matches did you watch this weekend?

And we're definitely not pissing on anybody's chips in the Premier League. Quite the opposite. We've gifted three points to everyone we've played so far except Everton. Everybody loves us.
You are missing my point. You are also confusing ‘don’t care if we get relegated’ with ‘want to get relegated’. Two different things (but I think you know that). I don’t ‘want’ to get relegated because being in the Prem brings rewards like signing the likes of Archer and Hamer. However, I actually do love the Championship and my best memories of watching the Blades are mainly from there. My point is that there is an increasing and inevitable sense of entitlement from the fans and clubs in the upper echelon of the EPL. It’s getting worse and the divide is getting bigger. That is showing in the attitudes of the fan bases of those teams. I live in London and, believe me, there so little awareness from those fans of anything that’s happening below the top 6. The ‘pissing in the chips’ comment simply refers to not turning up to games, fawning at the opposing team’s manager and hoping and setting up for a 0-0 draw (remember Warnock in our return to the Prem?). So we are already pissing in their chips by not currently losing by more than one goal when their self entitled fans expect us to stand back in awe as they give us a master class in 5-0 drubbings. We need to turn 1 goal defeats into draws and then some of those those into wins. Nobody has enjoyed playing us and Spurs players and fans celebrated like they had just won the league.

When we play Spurs closest rivals for the Premiership title ie Liverpool and Arsenal and play with reckless abandonment in a 2-4-4 attack formation with the sole intention of impressing the opposition fans and the pundits on the BBC and Sky sports, we can wallow in the joy of the subsequent 8-0 defeats and what they will do to the goal differences and how it will affect Spurs at the end of the season.
They’ll have something to whine about then.
Not that I think we’ll play like that for a minute.

I was interested in seeing how much Spurs pay their players and learnt Richarlison earns £175,000 a week which is 5x more than our top earners. The difference is staggering.

I was interested in seeing how much Spurs pay their players and learnt Richarlison earns £175,000 a week which is 5x more than our top earners. The difference is staggering.

The entire Brighton starting eleven that beat Man Utd on Saturday cost less than we paid for McBurnie.

The entire Brighton starting eleven that beat Man Utd on Saturday cost less than we paid for McBurnie.
Coincidence. This wouldn't be the case in any other XI they've used his season. Free transfers on big wages all over that team.

What would be our objective in the Championship if it were not to get promoted to the PL ?

Hi Stegosaurus here

You better all hope we stay up. I don't watch Championship football, so if we go down, I'll likely limit my posting here and I'll go back to supporting my 2nd choice team.
What in S6 ??

Well…when we won at Old Trafford in 2021 our entire team was worth less than 50p and a bag of Cheese n Onion.
I ma a big fan of white Brighton have done / are doing but it does make me laugh a bit when they make comments like this squad only cost x.

Wellbeck arrived on a free and so did Lalana. Let's not pretend they didn't pocket a few million as part of that or that they are on less than about 70k per week of not more. Same with the midfielder from Dortmund.

The point on comparing to what Man U spent is still valid, but let's not pretend they are some sort of paupers. Before they started fleecing Chelsea they'd got a very high wage bill and probably still have, and had spent a fair bit. They're just reeping the rewards now, having sold a fair handful for a princely sum.

Good luck to them, but they haven't been like paupers for some time.

So,we are five games in and we know the lay of the land with this squad. We know we can’t switch off for a second, we have goal scoring quality in the team, we aren’t going to be swept away every game and we have talented players who still need to gell. Enough to be getting on with but need a little bit of luck to convert heroic defeats into points.

We also know that this league contains increasingly more of the worst supporters we have ever come across. Not passionate, feisty, loyal fans who love their club and its heritage but entitled, arrogant, uninformed dicks. Truly plastic fans who, in the case of teams like Spurs, exist in an entitlement bubble of top six exclusivity and whose idea of ‘lower league’ football is restricted to Premier teams sitting between 10th to 19th position. Below the EPL for them is simply a wilderness, a back street slum of anonymous obscurity. Fans whose knowledge of the game is non-existent and whose collective footballing soul was sold to the devil many years ago and whose contempt for newly promoted teams who aren’t backed by petro-dollars or a mega-rich inheritance knows no bounds. So they are genuinely angry when we don’t tug our forelocks and allow them to majestically sweep in their fifth goal. They see respect as a one way street - we should respect them for their blingy, super sleek stadium and their galactico players and salaries but there’s no respect or acknowledgment for us, or others like us, as a team that has scrapped its way up and earned its place at the top table on a shoe string budget, team spirit and dogged determination. That’s their loss not ours.

It’s not all of the Spurs or top 6 clubs fans but it’s a significant and increasing number nowadays and it’s already worse than the last time we went up. They have no knowledge or appreciation that the football league is a broad and vibrant pyramid comprising thousands of clubs and players. So if they all toddled off to a super league I would be delighted. The pyramid doesn’t need the tip as much as the tip needs the pyramid.

Don’t care if we do get relegated (I actually don’t think we will) I bloody love the Championship! In the meantime I dearly hope we continue to play the beggar at the feast and right royally piss in their overpriced chips for the rest of the season
Hi, Pomps, how ya doing?

I ma a big fan of white Brighton have done / are doing but it does make me laugh a bit when they make comments like this squad only cost x.

Wellbeck arrived on a free and so did Lalana. Let's not pretend they didn't pocket a few million as part of that or that they are on less than about 70k per week of not more. Same with the midfielder from Dortmund.

The point on comparing to what Man U spent is still valid, but let's not pretend they are some sort of paupers. Before they started fleecing Chelsea they'd got a very high wage bill and probably still have, and had spent a fair bit. They're just reeping the rewards now, having sold a fair handful for a princely sum.

Good luck to them, but they haven't been like paupers for some time.
True

Think they were 300m in debt recently

This "thing" about fans of other clubs is built on what? If you go to games, and interact with opposition fans, in real life, then I believe you'll find the vast majority to be perfectly decent people. Many of them will have followed their club for years, thick & thin. I know a Chelsea fan who has not missed an away game for 44 years. She doesn't fit the description in the OP.

People are getting their knickers in a twist over comments they read on the internet as if the people posting are somehow card carrying reps of the clubs concerned.

This.

The problem isn't the actual fan base of these clubs, it's with "EPL" Internet. Of which there are millions spread across the globe. Usually, they have pictures of Mason Mount or Erling Haaland as their bio and talk a lot about FPL.

These people's only interaction with their club is via The Media and their only contact with the outside world on a matchday is via Twitter and Facebook. They aren't fans, they're consumers.

Snipey little comments online is their fan banter. Their opinions and insight is only what's spoon fed to them. Go to the replies on anything, however mundane, that any club posts online and it'll be full of them.

Remove that from your conscience and it becomes a much better experience.

This.

The problem isn't the actual fan base of these clubs, it's with "EPL" Internet. Of which there are millions spread across the globe. Usually, they have pictures of Mason Mount or Erling Haaland as their bio and talk a lot about FPL.

These people's only interaction with their club is via The Media and their only contact with the outside world on a matchday is via Twitter and Facebook. They aren't fans, they're consumers.

Snipey little comments online is their fan banter. Their opinions and insight is only what's spoon fed to them. Go to the replies on anything, however mundane, that any club posts online and it'll be full of them.

Remove that from your conscience and it becomes a much better experience.
Agree, there are still entitled fans who go the game. I was recently playing cricket with two lads - an Everton and a Liverpool fan, both were saying the same, how could teams like Sheff Utd (they both know I am a Blade too) and Luton be allowed into the PL. Waste of spaces....that is the kind of stuff I hate. Agree, the majority of interaction is with people whose bio states "YNWA and loyal Chelsea fan"......

I take the OP's point, but with increased popularity new fans are attracted without the grounding in the club's or even football history that we probably have all had since were tiny.

I wouldn't like our ground to be filled with touristy newbees either but then again there are plenty of requests on this very forum from our long-time fans who want to know how to get hold of tickets to watch the likes of Barcelona, so it's not always a one-way street is it?

As for "wanting" to be in the Championship, this is the very definition of sour grapes that Aesop had in mind in his fable. We strive hard, like every other club not in it, to get to the EPL (I'll give it it's international moniker), then we achieve that don't like that we're usually outmatched so pretend we never wanted to be there in the first place.

I don't agree. Unfortunately our owner doesn't have the resources, but we can at least try and compete, and so far we've been doing so, even with lamentably poor line-ups in the first couple of games. A far better team and squad has now been assembled than the last time we were relegated and I'm hoping we can accumulate enough points to keep it interesting for the rest of the season.

I'd like us to be able to play in the manner of Brighton or Brentford but currently that's not possible. If we're able to cling on to our position maybe we'll get lucky - like as recently as 2019 when we were the media darlings, and find something that fits. But we won't be doing that in the Championship or League One (where we, and our various managers have much better win percentages).

It's all a question of expectations. Historically, like the Massive themselves, we are a top flight club, but that's well in the past and in recent history we certainly are not. In those periods in the Premier League my only ask is that we are competitive in a way we weren't in 2020-21 and if that means upsetting the big clubs, the media wankerati, and the millions of armchair followers around the world, so much the better.

I want us to stay, even though I don't think we will. And I hope we make all their son's cry.

What would be our objective in the Championship if it were not to get promoted to the PL ?
It’s a good point. I think football in England is being redefined because of the increasing divide. The reward for promotion from the Championship is an increased revenue and the ability to attract better players who want to play in the Prem. the Championship therefore offers a more level playing field and generally much more exciting, close fought games. However, the increased revenue on promotion is nowhere near sufficient to create any kind of equity with the other established top clubs in the Prem. So we are in a position where we accept the possibility of relegation with more alacrity and it isn’t the devasting setback it used to be. If we do go down it will of course be disappointing but our squad is much better and we can look forward to being a team that is amongst the top clubs in the Championship, still playing to a packed Lane and enjoying the ride.

So to answer your point, our objective in the Championship would be to enjoy winning games of football still with the aim of getting promoted. Our overall long term success, however, will not necessarily be measured by becoming an upper half Premiership club but a club that has an increasingly strong team, better players, more financial stability and accepts that moving between the two divisions is not a binary measure of success or failure but an inevitable outcome of the rapid change in our football culture

Aim for tenth? Claim to have the best average attendance over the season? Flirt with the exciting end of season playoffs? Cos that's always an added bonus to a Sheff United season in the Championship. Obviously try not to win the fucking thing though otherwise we'd go up. Luckily that's something we have mastered the art of. Dig in and we can just play Birmingham every year for the next 50 seasons. It's ace the Championship. Oh, and we could put the price up for away fans.

Back
Top Bottom