Beggars at the Feast

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Bladeulike

Reaction score
So,we are five games in and we know the lay of the land with this squad. We know we can’t switch off for a second, we have goal scoring quality in the team, we aren’t going to be swept away every game and we have talented players who still need to gell. Enough to be getting on with but need a little bit of luck to convert heroic defeats into points.

We also know that this league contains increasingly more of the worst supporters we have ever come across. Not passionate, feisty, loyal fans who love their club and its heritage but entitled, arrogant, uninformed dicks. Truly plastic fans who, in the case of teams like Spurs, exist in an entitlement bubble of top six exclusivity and whose idea of ‘lower league’ football is restricted to Premier teams sitting between 10th to 19th position. Below the EPL for them is simply a wilderness, a back street slum of anonymous obscurity. Fans whose knowledge of the game is non-existent and whose collective footballing soul was sold to the devil many years ago and whose contempt for newly promoted teams who aren’t backed by petro-dollars or a mega-rich inheritance knows no bounds. So they are genuinely angry when we don’t tug our forelocks and allow them to majestically sweep in their fifth goal. They see respect as a one way street - we should respect them for their blingy, super sleek stadium and their galactico players and salaries but there’s no respect or acknowledgment for us, or others like us, as a team that has scrapped its way up and earned its place at the top table on a shoe string budget, team spirit and dogged determination. That’s their loss not ours.

It’s not all of the Spurs or top 6 clubs fans but it’s a significant and increasing number nowadays and it’s already worse than the last time we went up. They have no knowledge or appreciation that the football league is a broad and vibrant pyramid comprising thousands of clubs and players. So if they all toddled off to a super league I would be delighted. The pyramid doesn’t need the tip as much as the tip needs the pyramid.

Don’t care if we do get relegated (I actually don’t think we will) I bloody love the Championship! In the meantime I dearly hope we continue to play the beggar at the feast and right royally piss in their overpriced chips for the rest of the season

So,we are five games in and we know the lay of the land with this squad. We know we can’t switch off for a second, we have goal scoring quality in the team, we aren’t going to be swept away every game and we have talented players who still need to gell. Enough to be getting on with but need a little bit of luck to convert heroic defeats into points.

We also know that this league contains increasingly more of the worst supporters we have ever come across. Not passionate, feisty, loyal fans who love their club and its heritage but entitled, arrogant, uninformed dicks. Truly plastic fans who, in the case of teams like Spurs, exist in an entitlement bubble of top six exclusivity and whose idea of ‘lower league’ football is restricted to Premier teams sitting between 10th to 19th position. Below the EPL for them is simply a wilderness, a back street slum of anonymous obscurity. Fans whose knowledge of the game is non-existent and whose collective footballing soul was sold to the devil many years ago and whose contempt for newly promoted teams who aren’t backed by petro-dollars or a mega-rich inheritance knows no bounds. So they are genuinely angry when we don’t tug our forelocks and allow them to majestically sweep in their fifth goal. They see respect as a one way street - we should respect them for their blingy, super sleek stadium and their galactico players and salaries but there’s no respect or acknowledgment for us, or others like us, as a team that has scrapped its way up and earned its place at the top table on a shoe string budget, team spirit and dogged determination. That’s their loss not ours.

It’s not all of the Spurs or top 6 clubs fans but it’s a significant and increasing number nowadays and it’s already worse than the last time we went up. They have no knowledge or appreciation that the football league is a broad and vibrant pyramid comprising thousands of clubs and players. So if they all toddled off to a super league I would be delighted. The pyramid doesn’t need the tip as much as the tip needs the pyramid.

Don’t care if we do get relegated (I actually don’t think we will) I bloody love the Championship! In the meantime I dearly hope we continue to play the beggar at the feast and right royally piss in their overpriced chips for the rest of the season
100% right

Hi Stegosaurus here

You better all hope we stay up. I don't watch Championship football, so if we go down, I'll likely limit my posting here and I'll go back to supporting my 2nd choice team.

They are in their Rolls Royces, we are on our push bike sadly we can't compete.
The sooner we get back playing proper football in the championship the better.

WOW mate this is superb .You have summed it up all the fair weather supporters that hang around these fashionable clubs do not have a bloody clue and have no idea what a true supporter is . I wonder how many of these arseholes would be around if for some reason their club was struggling in the 2nd div yet to listen to them there is nothing they dont know about football . It would do them good supporting a league two club they would then become educated in how loyalty rather than a fair weather supporters earn more respect from normal supporters .

We are competing but the moment we get our noses ahead the rozzers pull us over for speeding.

I did say on here as we got promoted what it would be like in the prem . I was never fussed about going up but the club needed the cash but like you the sooner we are "back home" in the championship the better .

Good post

Read the same for most football pundits

WOW mate this is superb .You have summed it up all the fair weather supporters that hang around these fashionable clubs do not have a bloody clue and have no idea what a true supporter is . I wonder how many of these arseholes would be around if for some reason their club was struggling in the 2nd div yet to listen to them there is nothing they dont know about football . It would do them good supporting a league two club they would then become educated in how loyalty rather than a fair weather supporters earn more respect from normal supporters .
I remember going to WHL , a half full stadium , pissing it down and the Blades winning 3-1 . And that was in the old first division.

They don’t like it up em .

A true disaster to a top six club is not hammering a Utd / Luton .

Football has lost its integrity in the Prem . It’s toe curling listening to pundits . Plus - to allow pundits to review their old teams - a la Sky - is fkin brown nosing lazy , crap , unimaginative, uneducated bollocks

We also know that this league contains increasingly more of the worst supporters we have ever come across. Not passionate, feisty, loyal fans who love their club and its heritage but entitled, arrogant, uninformed dicks. Truly plastic fans who, in the case of teams like Spurs, exist in an entitlement bubble of top six exclusivity and whose idea of ‘lower league’ football is restricted to Premier teams sitting between 10th to 19th position. Below the EPL for them is simply a wilderness, a back street slum of anonymous obscurity. Fans whose knowledge of the game is non-existent
In fairness this could be Fallowfield you're talking about here.

Wah wah wah

What an absolute load of drivel

It’s our fan base that should grow up we wasted time and plenty around me were singing take your Time Norwich city

Then when they score because we’ve time wasted the entire world is against us and it’s the worst league in the world

Unfortunately you can’t try and kill the game like before which is a good thing IMO

Premier Leaguefor the most part has been boring and predictable, bar the season Leicester won it. Man United cherrypicked the best players in the 90’s, then Chelsea, then City etc. etc.

My favourite seasons were the ones where you legit didn’t know what the fuck was going to happen. Now you can easily pick the 6.

fantastic post best ive seen on here for ages all those championship teams fans that are gurgling at the thought of premier league football should read it the grass isnt always greener on the other side the only incentive of getting in the premier league is money these days i dont think it will be that many years before we have an elite super premier league of 12 clubs with only 1 relegated each season

Good post old chap👍

After listening to the match on the radio, I browsed the comments section on the BBC sports pages. Never read such an embarrassing set of comments from so called supporters. The poster sums them up very well.
I suspect the majority of these contributors live abroad, have never been to a match, watch the game on a free or dodgy feed, sit wearing their knocked off cheap imitation match day shirt and haven’t made any financial contribution to the world game in any form whatsoever.
It’s all a bit sad really.

If you don't care if we get relegated then what's the point in even supporting us?

You say you love the Championship but you don't really, do you? How many Championship matches did you watch this weekend?

And we're definitely not pissing on anybody's chips in the Premier League. Quite the opposite. We've gifted three points to everyone we've played so far except Everton. Everybody loves us.

Don’t remember any of this bollocks when we finished 9th. Best league in the world that season!
Never never never has been for me and will never be for me . Its geared up for the elite it is a closed shop and the officials know it .Every little club that gets in this league has not got a chance ,The sooner these clubs fuck off and become a member of a european super the league the better for all other clubs in England .

We're not really reduced to this are we? Sound like heartbroken teens some of us!

Never never never has been for me and will never be for me . Its geared up for the elite it is a closed shop and the officials know it .Every little club that gets in this league has not got a chance ,The sooner these clubs fuck off and become a member of a european super the league the better for all other clubs in England .
Explain Brighton and Brentford to name the most recent...? Did they bribe everyone from here to there? Even ourselves finishing 9th, when we might have finished 5th or 6th without the pandemic.

Overall/longterm money talks unfortunately, but that's a world problem as well as a football problem.

I understand a lot of frustrations. There's a lot I dislike about football pyramid and the financial side of things... however, a good team can always do alright for itself.

We're far from relegated.

We are in the Premier League on merit.
Why would we somehow "choose" to be in a lower league?
Football is about validation. Playing your games. Scoring your goals. Getting your points. Validation, if you're a Championship club is promotion. We achieved that.

This "thing" about fans of other clubs is built on what? If you go to games, and interact with opposition fans, in real life, then I believe you'll find the vast majority to be perfectly decent people. Many of them will have followed their club for years, thick & thin. I know a Chelsea fan who has not missed an away game for 44 years. She doesn't fit the description in the OP.

People are getting their knickers in a twist over comments they read on the internet as if the people posting are somehow card carrying reps of the clubs concerned.

We have always been at our most vociferous when we are in an underdog situation. I don't mind "fans" of the top 6 slating us, it is all the more satisfying to see them whinge.

Why would a European Super League change anything?

Again, drivel.

Cracking post mate. Erudition delivered with precision😉

Back
Top Bottom