Baxter Drug Hearing on July 10

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Really?I've heard far more about people dying from taking recreational drugsthan having pints.

Hard to actually quantify, but the last set of available figures (2012) showed:

6,490 deaths directly attributed to alcohol.
1, 086 deaths directly attributed to drug taking.

According to the stats, the alcohol deaths are declining, the drug deaths are increasing.

I don't disagree with that and I have seen plenty of my clients sent crazy by over use of cannabis.

However, would it not be better to legalise and regulate like we do with alcohol and tobacco?

Has that had any effect on the levels of abuse? Admittedly smoking is declining, but I'd argue that's down to hard advertising campaigns rather than any regulation. Alcohol is increasing in use, despite health awareness campaigns.

Has that had any effect on the levels of abuse? Admittedly smoking is declining, but I'd argue that's down to hard advertising campaigns rather than any regulation. Alcohol is increasing in use, despite health awareness campaigns.

You wouldn't make alcohol illegal though - would you :)

Yeah great attitude to want another of our players to be found guilty of something. Good job our new manager doesn't have the same attitude as you.
Perhaps if we don't sack him you can resign from this forum in protest;).

Having grown up on Merseyside, Baxter is a fan of local team Liverpool.[17] In October 2009 Baxter was one of three men arrested in Kirkby on suspicion of possession of cannabis with intent to supply, and on suspicion of possessing counterfeit money.[18] He was subsequently released without charge.[6]

According to the stats, the alcohol deaths are declining, the drug deaths are increasing.

Yeah I meant I've heard of more one off deaths so to speak, such as either drinking too much water after ecstasy or dehydration deaths etc. Obviously alcoholism is a longer term more common problem it would seem.

Surely the stat would have to be a percentage of takers of a drug for it to carry any weight. If there are per say 40million regular drinkers in the UK and 6490 deaths a year in comparison to per say 5 milion regular drug users and 1086 deaths then a picture can be drawn. Also in a response as to how alcohol is regulated in another users post, A shop, bar or public house needs a license and the said license if you have ever read one is a long list of ways you can be done due to selling alcohol.

Do Drug dealers ask for ID to check your age, if you turn up hammered does the dealer say I'm sorry pal you've had too much. If the drug user fights outside a house does the drug dealer get a warning to manage the selling of their product better and receive a fine.

I can't believe some of what I have read on this thread. I'm not sure how you can compare drinking alcohol which (unless it is the ethanol shit made in garages by the local east European strawberry pickers) is of a known standard to smoking weed or taking ecstasy pills which could contain and very often do contain just about anything. By the nature of his job Baxter has a responsibility to keep himself in the best shape possible so if he wants to take pills which are illegal he deserves all he gets even if that is the sack, I'm sure if he gets a bit skint he has mates who will help him out. If not he can always go thieving and mugging grannies to support his lifestyle like some of the people addicted to illegal drugs do or he could just pimp his girlfriend or wife or whatever. What a sad way of life for someone who obviously has talent to make a good living for himself without the need to be a dickhead. I wonder if people would defend the dickhead if he ran over their kids driving home while he had these substances in his bloodstream ? Well would ya ?

Pointless to try, ask the Americans!

edit: Although you can still break the law concerning alcohol. Producing and selling moonshine etc.

WHAT!!!!
0Du9yB

edit: Although you can still break the law concerning alcohol. Producing and selling moonshine etc.

Bloody Hell! I thought Abbeydale Brewery were just producing a lovely pint of ale but I didn't realise there was a specific law against Moonshine!

Are Pale Rider and Bradfield Blonde still legal?

I don't disagree with that and I have seen plenty of my clients sent crazy by over use of cannabis.

However, would it not be better to legalise and regulate like we do with alcohol and tobacco?

And tax it!

Not all mind altering substances are illegal either, "Spice" for instance. If it isn't already illegal it will be soon but it's one of the more recent "legal highs". As a mental health nurse working in a crisis team I've seen far too many people brought in by the Police, absolutely climbing the walls (literally on one occasion) under the influence of this stuff. I wouldn't be best pleased to hear of a United player taking this, legal or not.

And tax it!

Not all mind altering substances are illegal either, "Spice" for instance. If it isn't already illegal it will be soon but it's one of the more recent "legal highs". As a mental health nurse working in a crisis team I've seen far too many people brought in by the Police, absolutely climbing the walls (literally on one occasion) under the influence of this stuff. I wouldn't be best pleased to hear of a United player taking this, legal or not.

I mentioned 'spice' earlier when referring to legal highs (nightmare that lot are). I've encountered two near fatalities down to Spice, and there are plenty of reported deaths out there. Anybody who thinks that 'legal' means safer than the equivalent 'illegal' needs to read a bit about Spice.

http://www.drugfree.org/join-togeth...-in-3-deaths-75-hospitalizations-in-colorado/

http://www.al.com/news/birmingham/index.ssf/2015/05/spice-related_illnesses_deaths.html

http://thinkprogress.org/health/2015/04/24/3651032/spike-in-synthetic-marijuana-deaths/

Some footballers are role models but the majority are not. Why should our society even venture the thought that they are role models; they are gifted sportsmen who play in our most popular sport which is riddled with cheating, often by the biggest clubs and their star players. No way are they role models when they routinely cheat at every corner, every free kick, every ball out of play and every tap on the shoulder - unashamed cheats.

Role models in our society contribute in so many ways and it is an insult to them when footballers are held up as role models.

By the way, I know a couple of my own heroes ( one close family) who love a spliff and drink loads of alcohol, but that's when they are relaxing. They can't possibly be role models 24/7, 52/52, they are human. Have they tried ecstacy? Probably!!

Well lets see what the outcome is - at least he has been given the chance to defend himself, whether he is to be believed or not.

Adkins will make him a better player - and hopefully can make use of his obvios talent. Lets not forget he had some good moments last season, finishing top scorer - which is more than can be said for some of the dross who got in the first team last year.

I hope he gets on with his football once this is out of the way - ban or no ban.

The club has to stand by him - it cant say a convicted rapist deserves the chance to rehabiltate and not a lad who has taken a pill (delberately or not).

Id sack and its got nowt to do wi no drugs. Its the complete lack of effort the man has put it over a season and the lack of any passion he shows towards Sheffield United ,while taking a wage he has missed a few games through his own ridiculous attitude to being a privileged footballer. The myth about him being a talented player is beyond me ,just look at other teams.

Id sack and its got nowt to do wi no drugs. Its the complete lack of effort the man has put it over a season and the lack of any passion he shows towards Sheffield United ,while taking a wage he has missed a few games through his own ridiculous attitude to being a privileged footballer. The myth about him being a talented player is beyond me ,just look at other teams.

We won't sack him anyway. We didn't even bother to sack a rapist for heaven's sake - we just left his contract to expire.

So Baxter is safe to put his feet up and come back even less of a fulfilled talent than he was before.

John, sorry mate, I'm not willing to do that. *Understand, this is a coward's response and leaves my observation above, mere 'opinion'.

*on re-reading your post Mr. Denver....I suspect you already do!

According to The Star Baxter will claim that his drink was spiked!

It happens to Bert everytime he goes to his Gentleman's Club, his glass of water gets spiked with a malt whisky, Bert suspects that the culprit is the barman.

Interesting research re: the famed 'refer madness' here:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19560900

It would appear to have little basis in fact according to this...

John, sorry mate, I'm not willing to do that. *Understand, this is a coward's response and leaves my observation above, mere 'opinion'.

*on re-reading your post Mr. Denver....I suspect you already do!
Similarly, I will just say I understand and appreciate the point you made.

Back
Top Bottom