Basham or O'Connell?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

To bring Basham back into the team anywhere especially in mid field is utter nonsense after the way we have been playing Squad player at best

A tough one as Basham has been outstanding during the last 2 games and gives us real energy.
However as already said we look more comfortable with Wright in the middle of a back 3 so I'd switch back to that. Coutts wasn't at his best last week but given time on the ball makes us tick. Fleck has come in when Bash was suspended and has been terrific and deserves his place. I like Bash but it's the bench for now for me. Unlucky? Without doubt but he'll be keep a few others on there toes that's for sure

Any of them. . . . If they get above a 7/10 then they keep the shirt. . . Simples

We will tomorrow see what CW is made of, and this decision is a major decision for him.

A top quality manager will play the better players in their rightful positions, because it is right for the team.

Sentiment will keep a midfield player (Bash has said this himself) at centre half.

I will be disappointed if JOC is fully fit, ready to play and he doesn't.

Absolutely no place for sentiment - and Basham would be a sentimental choice.

Now, if CW puts JOC at CH and Basham in midfield, then that would be an acceptable reason. As a fan I would accept the managers judgment, but with Fleck, Coutts and Duffy dictating that central area, then it would IMHO by the wrong decision to move Bash back into midfield.

Basham has to be the consequence of the team playing well and wait his turn for a midfield birth.

Have wanted to see Fleck and Coutts in the centre together as we look a more exciting team.

Why on earth should we be defensive, at home to MK Dons?

UTB

A tough one as Basham has been outstanding during the last 2 games and gives us real energy.
However as already said we look more comfortable with Wright in the middle of a back 3 so I'd switch back to that. Coutts wasn't at his best last week but given time on the ball makes us tick. Fleck has come in when Bash was suspended and has been terrific and deserves his place. I like Bash but it's the bench for now for me. Unlucky? Without doubt but he'll be keep a few others on there toes that's for sure

Agree in principle, but think Wright will be replaced in the New Year. That's no criticism of him. He's been integral to our improvement but life, and football, are harsh; except in Woodyworld where we can wait decades for players to not come good...

Playing Basham at RCB means EEL and Wright aren't in their best positions.

This is what swings it for me. If Basham were a pure like for like replacement then I could accept the argument that O'Connel is unlucky but has to wait for his chance like the rest of them. But since playing Basham in defence means reshuffling the others, O'Connel is simply the natural choice there. It also frees up Basham to replace a midfielder for games in which we need the extra height and muscle in the middle of the park.

It's a tough call, and a nice problem to have, but Basham isn't good enough to justify playing others in a less comfortable position.

About changing a winning team generally, I think that should be swapped for 'well performing team'. You can win without playing well. So it is more about actual performance. Even then it has to be broken down into different elements. Your midfield and attack might have been great but your defence might have been poor. You might win 4-2 and it goes down as a good performance, but you should consider making defensive changes. It can't always be black and white, but it isn't difficult.

Largely agree with this. I'm not a big fan of the don't change a winning team mentality. If your team wins, look to improve anyway. If there's a way to do that, do it. Of course, when dealing with people, there's always morale and such to account for, but good professionals that trust the manager should understand if there's a tactical reason to swap personnel.

O'Connell, he's a CB, Bash isn't and should be competing to get in our midfield not CB, unless someone is injured/has a drop in form.

UTB!

I'd bring O'Connel back personally. He was playing very well before his injury and has been one of our best players after a nervy start.

I like Bash and his versatility means that he'll be a key player for us this season, but we need our best players in their best positions whenever we can, and that means O'Connel alongside EEL and Wright with bash on the bench in case we have to change things around in midfield (IMO).

It's simple play 'our' best center half at center half he's done nothing wrong. Let the midfielders battle it out for midfield slots.
I would however like to be privy to the conversation CW has with CB.

Doesn't say much for James Wilson does it when a midfielder gets the nod at RCB ahead of him. If we stick with 3 at the back I can see us going for a left footed back up CB in January. If JOC/ Jake Wright got crocked long term it would leave us limited in that department or see us shuffling the entire defence for the run in. If we are right up there (and we should be this time around) I think the funds will be there for Wilder come the window

Doesn't say much for James Wilson does it when a midfielder gets the nod at RCB ahead of him. If we stick with 3 at the back I can see us going for a left footed back up CB in January. If JOC/ Jake Wright got crocked long term it would leave us limited in that department or see us shuffling the entire defence for the run in. If we are right up there (and we should be this time around) I think the funds will be there for Wilder come the window

I'm pretty sure he'll be back in for one of his main CB targets rather than back-up. He is restless to build the team he wants and he's looking one step beyond the rest of us with no sentimentality. Quite right too.

We will tomorrow see what CW is made of, and this decision is a major decision for him.

A top quality manager will play the better players in their rightful positions, because it is right for the team.

Sentiment will keep a midfield player (Bash has said this himself) at centre half.

I will be disappointed if JOC is fully fit, ready to play and he doesn't.

Absolutely no place for sentiment - and Basham would be a sentimental choice.

Now, if CW puts JOC at CH and Basham in midfield, then that would be an acceptable reason. As a fan I would accept the managers judgment, but with Fleck, Coutts and Duffy dictating that central area, then it would IMHO by the wrong decision to move Bash back into midfield.

Basham has to be the consequence of the team playing well and wait his turn for a midfield birth.

Have wanted to see Fleck and Coutts in the centre together as we look a more exciting team.

Why on earth should we be defensive, at home to MK Dons?

UTB
I don't think it's a big decision at all - he likes continuity, and it's working. You can bet your life injuries and fitness aren't the same issue this season.

Whilst I agree that JOC is the better centre half, it's no biggy to leave Basham there, who's more than capable, and more of an attacking threat.

As an aside, I'm surprised at some of the other tweaks being suggested on here - they would be the big decisions, and daft ones at that. Sometimes doing nothing is a big decision, an many managers don't get it.

What's pleasing is that we've at last got a manager who clearly gets it. :)

UTB

I think Wilson is still injured. I reckon that's why Wilder's brought Brown in till January. Pity really, I thought he played well in his last league game and scored the winner.

I think Wilson is still injured. I reckon that's why Wilder's brought Brown in till January. Pity really, I thought he played well in his last league game and scored the winner.
Was under the impression Gray that Brown was primarily brought in to cover Freeman?

Don't agree with that selection at all.

We're lining up defensively but leaving a key centre back on the bench unnecessarily.

If Done's injured then it should be Lavery or Chapman in for him, not Scougall. Done's absence would've also made it easier to play Basham and O'Connell, at least if we're going with 5 midfielders as we are.

MK Dons also defensive with three deep/defensive central midfielders. Glad Agard's on the bench. They look suspect at the back yet we're only playing with one proper striker.

agreed Scougall not really strong enough for whats going to be a very physical game today

I don't think it's a big decision at all - he likes continuity, and it's working. You can bet your life injuries and fitness aren't the same issue this season.

Whilst I agree that JOC is the better centre half, it's no biggy to leave Basham there, who's more than capable, and more of an attacking threat.

As an aside, I'm surprised at some of the other tweaks being suggested on here - they would be the big decisions, and daft ones at that. Sometimes doing nothing is a big decision, an many managers don't get it.

What's pleasing is that we've at last got a manager who clearly gets it. :)

UTB

I don't think it will be long before JOC is back and I don't think Jake Wright will be first choice beyond January. That is not a suggestion that Wright be dropped - he's doing a great job - just what I see happening.

We have to progress incrementally and if better players than we have become available we shouldn't hesitate. I agree it has to be done with great care. Tufty often emphasises that he thinks of the short, medium and long term. I think he already has a vision of the team he would like in 2017. I expect recruitment, and not mere 'cover', in January. Fucking hell, I appear to have joined Jimmy White's Deadline Day Army prematurely.

Really would have preferred JOC in there, also one up top?

I suspect Lavery is not deemed fit enough for a start yet. That's one of many things the manager is bound to know better than us!

Scoogs has done well this season and his inclusion is justified. Whether it works is another matter. We shall see. It does show, contrary to popular belief, that we need to recruit a goalscorer in January. I would say that whether Done were injured or not.

I suspect Lavery is not deemed fit enough for a start yet. That's one of many things the manager is bound to know better than us!

Scoogs has done well this season and his inclusion is justified. Whether it works is another matter. We shall see. It does show, contrary to popular belief, that we need to recruit a goalscorer in January. I would say that whether Done were injured or not.

I agree we are definitively light on goals up top an injury to Sharp and we'd be up sh*t creek without a paddle

It does show, contrary to popular belief, that we need to recruit a goalscorer in January. I would say that whether Done were injured or not.

Shame we sold two fit strikers and replaced them with two crocks. We'd be fine otherwise.

Not sure what disappoints me most, O'Connell's absence or choosing to go with one striker unnecessarily. We're on form, we shouldn't be worrying about anyone in this division at home. It's MK Dons who should be worrying about us, and they are, as proven by their team selection.

So we playing 4-5-1 at home ?

5-4-1 / 3-6-1, whichever way you look at it.

Maybe 3-5-1-1 to be more precise.

Back
Top Bottom