Outgoing? Baldock

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

This season has shown us what it is like when quality defenders are not in the team. GB for me is one of the best full backs we have had at the club. Full back being his best position rather than wing back imo. GB is part of a slowly eroding role. Number 2's who can defend first. The current fad of wing backs being great crossers of the ball but can't defend for toffee, see Alexander Arnold as a prime example, will fade. Kyle Walker is the embodiment of the perfect wing back. Pace to burn, marks opponents out of the game and can tackle. GB displayed similar traits ask Mbappe, Grealish and a few other wide men who he's had in his pocket in recent years.

I've seen some rubbish on twitter and even on this thread that he wasn't that good because his crossing wasn't all that. Being able to defend as a wing back is of primary importance. Tracking players, getting back in position is just as important as getting up the pitch and crossing the ball. These are skills Bogle doesn't possess and why GB will be sorely missed. Hudson Odi would not have scored his goals on Saturday if a fit GB was playing.

As others have said his leadership and professionalism will leave a big hole and we do not have a ready made replacement currently at the Club. I wish him well and hope he overcomes his injury problems. One of the few players in the current squad who was worth the entrance fee alone for the desire he showed week in week out.

This season has shown us what it is like when quality defenders are not in the team. GB for me is one of the best full backs we have had at the club. Full back being his best position rather than wing back imo. GB is part of a slowly eroding role. Number 2's who can defend first. The current fad of wing backs being great crossers of the ball but can't defend for toffee, see Alexander Arnold as a prime example, will fade. Kyle Walker is the embodiment of the perfect wing back. Pace to burn, marks opponents out of the game and can tackle. GB displayed similar traits ask Mbappe, Grealish and a few other wide men who he's had in his pocket in recent years.

I've seen some rubbish on twitter and even on this thread that he wasn't that good because his crossing wasn't all that. Being able to defend as a wing back is of primary importance. Tracking players, getting back in position is just as important as getting up the pitch and crossing the ball. These are skills Bogle doesn't possess and why GB will be sorely missed. Hudson Odi would not have scored his goals on Saturday if a fit GB was playing.

As others have said his leadership and professionalism will leave a big hole and we do not have a ready made replacement currently at the Club. I wish him well and hope he overcomes his injury problems. One of the few players in the current squad who was worth the entrance fee alone for the desire he showed week in week out.
I agree totally on Baldock as a right back. I actully think flat back 4 would have suited him better but he's also done really well at RWB but I do think going forward we need more creativity down the right and Bogle offers that. Goals win games in the Championship and our defence will suffice at that level whereas in the PL having a solid defence is vital because you know as a promoted team you'll likely have to spend long periods of the game defending. I think Bogle will be a real asset next season if he stays. Baldock leaves as a legend but I think it's the right time for Baldock to move on for his career and at 31 it's the last move he'll be able to command where he will earn a very good wage.

weve missed baldock and egan this season big characters on the pitch shame it looks like hes off him and bogle down the right would have been as good a right side as any in the championship next season bogle worries me as a defender primarily as he cant defend

Will be so sad seeing him go, he's been one of my favourites, heart on his sleeve and giving his all for the shirt, a proper Blade and great servant to the club!!

Thanks George, it's been emotional!!!👏👏👏👏

I’m more upset about this if true than any player weve let go or sold, apart from Deane and Fyrtoft baxk on the day, he’s been amazing for us, great player, and he bleeds red and white, so much passion for us, You can’t begrudge him his move but he’ll always be a Blade, it will be a sad day when he leaves. Thanks for the memories GB

Fantastic player for us and will be sad to see him go but as others have said he’s in his 30’s, more injury prone and from a club perspective we have to continue to evolve.

Bogle should be a stand out in his position in the championship and we’ve got Curtis Sanchdev and Seriki gridlocked behind at an age where they have to show they are good enough to be involved.

Whether they are remains to be seen but we simply have to create pathways.

Good luck GB, you deserve all the success in the world

Absolute legend. Yeah his crossing wasn't great but with everything else he had in his locker, if he was better going forward he'd have been far too good to play for us.

Will be sad to see him leave but I feel it's the correct decision for all parties. He's older now, getting injured a lot more and will be one of the higher earners. Plus Bogle will be one of the best attacking wing backs in the division next season.

We need to make sure that our top earners are available almost every game next season as finances will be tight.

His contract is up in the summer we will have offered him one ! His choice to leave what could we have done. Greek football isn't as demanding of players so he will be looking at that as well as money.Hes had calf issues so easier league matches will probably mean he can stay fit he was finding it harder in last couple of years.
I think when he went to Greece in the international break when carrying an injury told the story .
We haven’t… I can tell you that for fact. He’s on late 30s per week & we have replacements in potentially Bogle & Sam Curtis

Not played enough, won't be much of a loss for us right now.

One of my favourite current players. Very sad to see him go.

He's family of friends of family back in Sheffield and apparently he's an absolute legend, fitness fanatic and genuine lovely fella so wish him & his missus all the best in Greece. He'd be a great manager, so one day you never know..
Shame he married into a pig family with a father in law who's one of the 'lads'

I get that Baldock was not a great crosser, but he added a lot of value going forward. He was more like a box to box midfielder, he rarely took the byline, played a bit narrower, which worked well with Basham going past him, he could drive us forward and would often be the furthest man forward, always excellent in the build up with teammates, key to the overloads. He was quite a unique wing back in that sense. Where he excelled was definitely in his defensive skills, but I think we saw the difference he made to the team going forward, when he came back into the team last season. Definitely the best full back/wing back in my 6 decades as a Blade and would say the only player in the squad I would say with any confidence is Premiership class..

Great player. Stood out when he played for MK Dons against us. Consistent. Loved him.

Pissed me off a bit with his cutting back constantly, but that shadows compared to what he brought to the team. Glad he good international recognition. Really going to miss him.

I love Baldock but I won't be shedding a tear etc if he leaves because I just feel it's the right time to move on. He's a top pro, a legend but I think for him it's the right move and for us we have one less big hitter on the wages and he's had his fair share of injuries of late. Also, personally I prefer Bogle for his attacking play especially in the championship, over Baldocks defensive strengths.

He will be missed for sure though.

Shame that Baldock, Norwood, Wes, McBurnie, Egan (possibly) are all leaving this way. Regardless of what you think of any of them individually they’ve been long term servants of the club and if we’d have had a decent finish I’m sure they have all been clapped off during their lap on the final day.

Now they’ll be doing a Wilder and sneaking out the back door

Shame that Baldock, Norwood, Wes, McBurnie, Egan (possibly) are all leaving this way. Regardless of what you think of any of them individually they’ve been long term servants of the club and if we’d have had a decent finish I’m sure they have all been clapped off during their lap on the final day.

Now they’ll be doing a Wilder and sneaking out the back door
I think Egan will stay, surely wilder will want to keep Egan and we don't have the defensive competition such as midfield hence why Norwood will probably go. I can't see Egan getting a better offer than united after being injured most of the season. I'd like to see Egan staying myself.

Probably be an emotional farwell for him aswell. Spent the best part of his career with us. In a few years time the group that went from lg one to p.l. will be honoured guests at bdtbl.

Could do better with his PL ground knowledge but I guess he'll not need to any longer

Really hope he plays against Spurs, last game for the club he now loves & supports against the club he’s loved and supported all his life.

Not too many like George, aptly named 'furious', consistently good, you always knew what you were getting when he stepped on the pitch, good attitude, solid most games, had a fearless attitude.....hope that our younger players have noted all of this and what's expected when they pull on the shirt, can't praise the fella enough.

The only thing I’m disappointed in is that he’s not joining a CL team. Wish him all the best but and I also think his time here is done. Better to leave a legend than remain and be a burden

Back
Top Bottom