Balance

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Aye, the reason I go to BL is to watch us play percentages and hit the channels, not watch all these fancy Dan types.
We spent 90% of last last season smashing the ball down the channels. That was our tactic with and without Ndiaye.

Here's a thought, before Ndiaye broke into the first team he was just a promising youngster in the U23s, turned out to be the fantastic player we've seen over the last couple of years. Same can be said for Brooks before him. Yeah we've sold them both, but that's football. Maybe we should be looking forward to the next quality player either breaking through, or signing. Can't change the past, but can look forward to the future.

With apologies for any repetitive aspects, I have thoroughly enjoyed watching Ndiaye home and away last season - and wanted him to stay - but:
  • In a lower division, Ndiaye scored less that one goal in three games (hardly setting the world on fire). There was no guarantee he would lift his game as necessary to star in the Prem next season. Especially as he's 23 so not a very young kid like Osula - who could yet develop into a fantastic player.
  • Every Premiership scout has watched Ndiaye many times and we have had minimal interest (modest offer from Everton?) suggesting no Prem club rates him that highly. Compare this to Kyle W who was snapped up after playing just 8 games. If any established Prem team had showed interest Ndiaye would have gone like a shot
  • If he wanted to leave for Marseille (and he has continually refused a new contract for over a year) then we would have a disinterested player for 4 months (trying desperately hard to avoid injury) before signing a pre contract on Jan 1st and leaving us for nothing.
  • Instead of that poor disheartening scenario we have the ability to bring in (say) four £5m players who want to play for us and give us an all round stronger squad (and my god we need it). Happily, we didn't sell late on transfer day (as we have before) so have a few weeks to buy these players too.
  • I have heard repeated suggestions that Ndiaye was our best player last season and our only Prem class performer. I disagree. I think we have only one definite Prem quality player, in Anel, who performed incredibly strongly against both Man City (especially compared to Ndiaye) and Spurs (which ensured Ndiaye's awesome solo goal won us the match). I also think Baldock has been fantastic defensively and defended better against Grealish than almost any Prem full back last season.
  • Just as a last thought, my fave player of the last decade remains Didzy. Like Ndiaye he could fluff clear chances , but his ability to transition play to our attack was both stronger and much more varied than Ndiaye. A genuine Rolls Royce player. And similarly is now playing for his boyhood team - albeit much later in his career. I wish them both very well and look forward to our new signings with hope - although not much expectation!
Hecky has been an absolute star since his arrival as manager despite fans strong reservations about his appointment - and shows much more modesty and professionalism than Wilder (and arguably better tactical acumen). Let's make sure we all get behind him and the eleven players on the pitch regardless of our personal opinions. The team needs us!
4 5 million £ players?Really?

I agree with the thrust of OP but the disappointment for me is that we will not get to see if Ndiaye was able to make the step up to Premier League level. We cant hang on to our promising players even when established Premier League teams aren't interested!

We have 2 recruitment personnel. They have 20x that. We are trying to do what they do on the incredibly cheap.
I think it’s more to do with statistical data and the background of those clubs’ owners, rather than staff numbers to be fair, but i understand your point nonetheless. I’m sure we’ve been doing some decent scouting and data analysis ourselves to unearth these recent acquisitions, they got Anel right anyway!

I think it’s more to do with statistical data and the background of those clubs’ owners, rather than staff numbers to be fair, but i understand your point nonetheless. I’m sure we’ve been doing some decent scouting though to unearth these recent acquisitions, they got Anel right anyway!
Tbf, that was literally down to Jack Lester saying 'he was good when I had him at Forest, go and watch him'

Tbf, that was literally down to Jack Lester saying 'he was good when I had him at Forest, go and watch him'
Well you look at players like this Souza we’re after and he’s played in Belgium, i’m sure there’s some UW link there and a staff reccomendation, Nothing wrong with that

Well you look at players like this Souza we’re after and he’s played in Belgium, i’m sure there’s some UW link there and a staff reccomendation, Nothing wrong with that
Not saying there is, but it's not exactly a way to model a scouting system

Agreed…. Hopefully it’ll do for now though with the 5x incoming, it’s obvious we need a complete overhaul in infrastructure including scouting/recruitment, really hoping a new owner achieves this
Hopefully he drops the price then, as all we're attracting at that are con-artists :)

Nope, phenomenal player and if you can’t see the transformative effect of having a player who the opposition have to gravitate around to stop then maybe football isn’t the sport for you.

An attacker who can quickly take 2 or 3 players out the game is always incredibly important

I hope a decent sell on % was included in the deal, anyone heard anything?

We've sold our best player, our most attacking and creative threat. We will not be able to replace him with anything close to what he offers, especially with 15m.
I agree, but we don’t know how good or bad he may have been and whether injured early on.
I want to see a young and progressive squad and if this transfer helps, then that’s good.
I do regret not having had the chance to see how he would have progressed, but that’s how football goes.

Disagree- Ndiaye was our best player. His work rate on and off the ball was the single main reason we got promoted. Should have been handled much better.

Was thoroughly entertaining to watch and will be sorely missed.
No it wasnt. It was a contributing factor. It wasnt the single main reason we got promoted.

I thought Illy was a great player for us - he could do things with the ball that I’ve not seen others able to do - but a couple of things jump out at me.

Firstly, he wasn’t that special for Senegal in the World Cup, playing against England.

Second, the fact that he was sick a pivotal part of our team had its risks. If we’d had him next season and he’d got crocked, like so many of our other players, we’d have been screwed. As it is, we can maybe get a bit more depth and not be quite so reliant on one mercurial talent.

Don’t get me wrong; I’d sooner he hadn’t gone, especially in the way it’s come about, but he has and that’s that. We as a club have to make the best out of the situation, and if that means that we can increase our strength in depth and get a bit more quality across the pitch, we might not have to be so over reliant on one single individual.

Yeah, I know, balance etc. But it’s worth saying, even if some people think it’s a cop out.

How could the club manage the situation better? The player was determined to go ! Tried to get him to sign a new contract when he showed real talent that was early last season before the Serb was sacked.
Slav and Wilder were vocal about the problems at the club the prince won't stand for criticism.

With apologies for any repetitive aspects, I have thoroughly enjoyed watching Ndiaye home and away last season - and wanted him to stay - but:
  • In a lower division, Ndiaye scored less that one goal in three games (hardly setting the world on fire). There was no guarantee he would lift his game as necessary to star in the Prem next season. Especially as he's 23 so not a very young kid like Osula - who could yet develop into a fantastic player.
  • Every Premiership scout has watched Ndiaye many times and we have had minimal interest (modest offer from Everton?) suggesting no Prem club rates him that highly. Compare this to Kyle W who was snapped up after playing just 8 games. If any established Prem team had showed interest Ndiaye would have gone like a shot
  • If he wanted to leave for Marseille (and he has continually refused a new contract for over a year) then we would have a disinterested player for 4 months (trying desperately hard to avoid injury) before signing a pre contract on Jan 1st and leaving us for nothing.
  • Instead of that poor disheartening scenario we have the ability to bring in (say) four £5m players who want to play for us and give us an all round stronger squad (and my god we need it). Happily, we didn't sell late on transfer day (as we have before) so have a few weeks to buy these players too.
  • I have heard repeated suggestions that Ndiaye was our best player last season and our only Prem class performer. I disagree. I think we have only one definite Prem quality player, in Anel, who performed incredibly strongly against both Man City (especially compared to Ndiaye) and Spurs (which ensured Ndiaye's awesome solo goal won us the match). I also think Baldock has been fantastic defensively and defended better against Grealish than almost any Prem full back last season.
  • Just as a last thought, my fave player of the last decade remains Didzy. Like Ndiaye he could fluff clear chances , but his ability to transition play to our attack was both stronger and much more varied than Ndiaye. A genuine Rolls Royce player. And similarly is now playing for his boyhood team - albeit much later in his career. I wish them both very well and look forward to our new signings with hope - although not much expectation!
Hecky has been an absolute star since his arrival as manager despite fans strong reservations about his appointment - and shows much more modesty and professionalism than Wilder (and arguably better tactical acumen). Let's make sure we all get behind him and the eleven players on the pitch regardless of our personal opinions. The team needs us!

Harry Maguire played circa 250 games for us and went to Man Utd for 80 million when he was a similar to the player that was available for 2 million a few years earlier. Spurs wanted Naughton more than Walker. Never overestimate the scouting of English football clubs.

Ndiaye is the best player by far I've ever seen play for us. I was screaming for us to give him a new deal long before we played Forest in the play offs. Hold the memories dear as you may never see a player as good in the red and white again.

I hope a decent sell on % was included in the deal, anyone heard anything?

20% has been suggested. Whether that's 20% of Marseille's profit or the total fee they receive I don't know. Usually it's the former. There's probably other add ons.

I’m a bit surprised at the apparent lack of respect for Hecky, one of our most successful managers. As people seem to suggest that having seen Ndiaye every day in training, being the first manager to play him regularly and being instrumental in his development, he thought it wise to keep him on £4k a week and it only occurred to him last week to offer him a new deal. Instead might it may be more likely that the club have repeated offered him new contracts over the last 18 months and Ndiaye was advised instead by his agent to run his contract down to maximise his negotiating position to get his dream move?

Not that I’m criticizing Ndiaye. I have loved watching him, he’s been an absolute star running his blood to water and was vital in our promotion. And I’m gutted he’s gone!

Agreed…. Hopefully it’ll do for now though with the 5x incoming, it’s obvious we need a complete overhaul in infrastructure including scouting/recruitment, really hoping a new owner achieves this
Agree mate .Am I right in thinking before this window Anel is the only one we have signed in 5 windows ?Also how long is his contract for ? Is it time to look at his contract NOW.? and learn from recent events.

Agree mate .Am I right in thinking before this window Anel is the only one we have signed in 5 windows ?Also how long is his contract for ? Is it time to look at his contract NOW.? and learn from recent events.
According to reports when we signed him, Anel is signed up until summer 2026, with an extra year option for the club. So that sounds pretty good. Instead we need to focus on getting similar quality players in very quickly!

No, we also signed Adlene Guediora and Adam Davies.

Hecky has been an absolute star since his arrival as manager despite fans strong reservations about his appointment - and shows much more modesty and professionalism than Wilder (and arguably better tactical acumen). Let's make sure we all get behind him and the eleven players on the pitch regardless of our personal opinions. The team needs us

Attachments

• balance-you-will.jpg
    balance-you-will.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom