(Bad) Memries of Swindon

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I remember in 1981 I was in Castleton and we heard that we'd lost 5-2 at Swindon. It was the year we were relegated to the Fourth Division.

The 0-0 was the year before.

Paul Bodin scored the first of 2 own goals for us that night. The other was when he was playing for Reading in John Ebbrell's match.

Ah yes, I remember that now. I wasn't there but have a memory of being at my grandparents house constantly refreshing Ceefax to see how we were getting on. Didn't Bodin do something else bad in that game too? Either get sent off or conceding a penalty or something?

Ah yes, I remember that now. I wasn't there but have a memory of being at my grandparents house constantly refreshing Ceefax to see how we were getting on. Didn't Bodin do something else bad in that game too? Either get sent off or conceding a penalty or something?

Bodin missed a penalty when we were winning 1-0. His most famous penalty miss, for Wales, got a lot of airplay this summer.

Fjortoft scored for them. Reed and Littlejohn got the other goals for us. Neither of them ever scored again for us.

Unfair on Rogers. He did useful things like score goals and create them, and he had a good engine. Check out the number of good things he does on the 1992-3 season video, which I think Walthy has posted.

He was also one of our better players in 1994-5.

From non league straight to top division. Different times.

I was only a nipper at the time but always liked Rogers. Always seemed to be involved in a lot of our better play.

Unfair on Rogers. He did useful things like score goals and create them, and he had a good engine. Check out the number of good things he does on the 1992-3 season video, which I think Walthy has posted.

He was also one of our better players in 1994-5.

From non league straight to top division. Different times.

Oh I can remember him a bit the previous season too, and I think he might have nabbed the scrappy winner over West Ham in the excellent 3-2 game.

The 1994-95 season I can barely remember. I associate that season with John Reed, the 3-3 draw against Wolves (the infamous "This is a citizen's arrest!" match), another FA Cup game with Man United, and that's about it.

I don't recall too much about him but I was only young at the time. I know we brought him in from Sutton and I'm pretty sure his 2nd ever game was against Wednesday in the 3-1 win at their place

The main thing i remember about Rodgers is that he looked like the baddy from Lethal Weapon.

Really? I thought we drew at their place that season? Seem to remember 0-0.
it was definitely 3-1 that season, the reason it sticks out for me is because we played Middlesborough on Boxing Day then had to go down there the following day. My mate was driving a few of us down and we had to keep stopping every 20 minutes for Big Lez who was puking from the big session we had the neet before.

Oh I can remember him a bit the previous season too, and I think he might have nabbed the scrappy winner over West Ham in the excellent 3-2 game.

The 1994-95 season I can barely remember. I associate that season with John Reed, the 3-3 draw against Wolves (the infamous "This is a citizen's arrest!" match), another FA Cup game with Man United, and that's about it.

Didn't Mark Foran score a very late equaliser?

Swindon was built to be a railway town so it has more than a hint of Donny and Crewe about it, so some of the rude comments on here are not far off the mark. There are lots of posh villages close by which is where all the middle classes live, and it shouldn't be compared with Reading, which is full of normal people, or Maidenhead, which is downright posh. Didcot is where all the upwardly mobile proles who can't afford to live in Oxford are to be found. And as far as I am aware, no-one in the world can drive on that stupid roundabout. I can only ever turn left on it, so I get the train when I go to see the mighty Blades there - where we always lose, I might add

Remember this being sung at Oldham at the end of the 1994 season. That certainly came back and bit us on the arse.

My recollection of Swindon is February 1970. We were second in the table (old second division) and we lost 2-1 at BDTBL. John Harris was presented with the poison chalice - Manager of the Month award before the game.

A night match, Len Badger scoring a rare goal. They were the better team inspired by Don Rogers. Had a feeling afterwards that for the second successive season promotion wasn't going to happen.
My first midweek match. Badger's goal broke the net at the Lane End and there was a delay before the net was repaired

Remember this being sung at Oldham at the end of the 1994 season. That certainly came back and bit us on the arse.

My recollection of Swindon is February 1970. We were second in the table (old second division) and we lost 2-1 at BDTBL. John Harris was presented with the poison chalice - Manager of the Month award before the game.

A night match, Len Badger scoring a rare goal. They were the better team inspired by Don Rogers. Had a feeling afterwards that for the second successive season promotion wasn't going to happen.

My My abiding memory also. Don Rodgers ran us ragged and I also thought the wheels were coming off. History,thankfully shows differently.

it was definitely 3-1 that season, the reason it sticks out for me is because we played Middlesborough on Boxing Day then had to go down there the following day. My mate was driving a few of us down and we had to keep stopping every 20 minutes for Big Lez who was puking from the big session we had the neet before.

Yeah Revolution pointed out I'm thinking of the PL game in December 93

Wasn't it claimed that Paul Rogers had taken a pay cut to join us as he'd had to quit his well paid job in the city? Taking a pay cut to become a footballer in the English top-flight. Different times indeed.

Ay, he was a City Workers, stock broker or something along those lines.

If you read Blade Runners there is a bit in Deano's write up about him being the highest paid player at the Lane in the 92/93 season on £800 a week.

I applied for a job in Swindon once and went for an interview. They realised halfway through that they had mixed me up with someone else and had invited me by mistake, so I knew I had no chance. Then I got home to discover everyone in my family had food poisoning and had been throwing up all day, so I had the last laugh after all. :)

One of the few grounds never been to ,surprised nobody as mentioned the Derick Richardson incident were he stops ball from going out for a corner straight to there player saw it on tv highlight s ,missed 2 games h & a that season Newport being the other in the 1980 81 season

One of the few grounds never been to ,surprised nobody as mentioned the Derick Richardson incident were he stops ball from going out for a corner straight to there player saw it on tv highlight s ,missed 2 games h & a that season Newport being the other in the 1980 81 season
I was at that game, It's been mentioned before in this thread, we lost 5-2 and later got relegated to the fourth division. Derek Richardson dived on the ball about a yard wide of the goal to stop a corner but contrived to let it squirm out behind him direct to a surprised Paul Rideout who helped himself to his easiest goal ever. I don't think Richardson played for us again.

Thurs. May 7th, 2015. First leg of the Play-off Semi at Bramall Lane and the referee - Darren Bond - put in a performance that made Darren England's last Tuesday v Walsall look honest. Refusing blatant handballs, penalties etc., Swindon took a 2-1 win into the second leg, which was...

Sunday March 10th, 2015. An incredible 5-5 draw saw United go out on aggregate 7-6 - the highest-scoring game in the history of the play-offs. A typical Clough effort where - having got us to the PO semis, a Clough team conspired to concede seven goals over two legs.

Not much else is memorable about Swindon - neither the games or the boring town. But special mention must go to:

December 4th, 1993. Swindon 0 Blades 0. Incredibly, this game was in the Premier League which saw both teams relegated 5 months later. It was also in the premier league of most futile, boring and pointless games I have ever witnessed.

Apart from that, my only other memrie is of the 'Magic Roundabout':

lifemagi1.jpg

and the fact that Swindon, like other M4 corridor towns like Reading and Maidenhead is an unremitting, crime-ridden shithole which regularly feature on programmes such as 'Police, Camera, Action'.

Any other interesting stuff about Swindon? 'Cos I'm struggling to think of any.

That roundabout is truly a work of art isn't it!? I wonder if the same person who designed that, then went onto Sheffield City Council?! Some of the so called "improvements" we get here are equally baffling. Of recent note the roundabout at the bottom of Halifax Road (near the pigs ground) which was perfectly functional and then for reason's unbeknown to me is ripped up and then replaced with traffic lights/junctions! Still pisses me off each time I drive that way and sadly I have to drive past the sty on a regular basis!

As for Swindon, I've never been there but its a pretty nondescript football club but certainly not top of the list or anywhere near it of the teams I don't like. The one I really remember is the win v Swindon on the first day of the season, as others mentioned. I remember Match of the Day billing it as a relegation six pointer and it was the first day of the season! To be fair they were right! I knew Swindon would do us when Clough was in charge. I'd turned against Clough by then and ultimately it saw Clough leave so I wasn't too disappointed - as play off defeats go!

Arkell's beer has to one of the worst ever offerings this side of home brew. That pub opposite the station that sells it is a monument in pine to all things chav. And the boozers going left from the station all steadily decline...

The Hopback pub to the right of the station is worth one, as was the MILF behind the bar.

Moral of surviving Swindon is to stick to the right!

1. Media cunt and deep sea diving enthusiast Robert Maxwell planned to merge them with Reading and Oxford to create "Thames Valley Royals". A move so fucking dumb that even Pete Winkleman would wince.

2. Melinda Messenger was from Swindon. She had nice tits.

Otherwise it's a cunt-infested backwater of a shithole.
Less well known was his attempt to merge Barnsley and South Barnsley as the South Yorkshire Twats

Werent Swindon the twats who had to draw or lose in May 81 to keep us up after we had bolloxed it up against Walsall at the Lane. I kind of remember the tonnoy telling the rioting blades fans on the pitch that someone (swindon?) had lost as well so Utd were actually safe.

Only after the blatant lie became obvious did it turn really nasty. Not our finest hour and i felt sorry for the Walsall players n fans that day...after id mullered a couple in sheer anger...!

Mixed memories of our 2-0 win at Swindon, 27 years ago on Saturday.

Peter Duffield scored the first goal but snapped his leg in the impact with their keeper and really was never the same player after that. A good win in the end, with the collectors item of a Mark Morris goal in the second half to secure the points.
I remember that game well..I was at my Mum and Dad's for a family meal with a load of relatives and "watched" the match on Ceefax...them were the days :eek:..UTB

Back
Top Bottom