Incoming? Ashley Phillips

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Decent player but what is concerning is the sentence of ‘really active in the loan market’. I fear we won’t learn our lesson about relying on loan signings to build the first team.

Makes no sense to increase the value of players who aren’t under contract and become unaffordable when promoted. I would much rather see a return to making permanent signings from the lower leagues who we can develop and are our own assets.

We should be looking at everyone!

But he isn’t top end championship yet. He will no doubt be a premier league defender in a few years but think this would be a season too early for him.

Wouldn’t be an improvement on the defenders we have don’t think he would play 40 games for us.

We should be looking at everyone!

But he isn’t top end championship yet. He will no doubt be a premier league defender in a few years but think this would be a season too early for him.

Wouldn’t be an improvement on the defenders we have don’t think he would play 40 games for us.
What defenders will we have post contracts being up?!

Decent player but what is concerning is the sentence of ‘really active in the loan market’. I fear we won’t learn our lesson about relying on loan signings to build the first team.

Makes no sense to increase the value of players who aren’t under contract and become unaffordable when promoted. I would much rather see a return to making permanent signings from the lower leagues who we can develop and are our own assets.
I don’t think it’s a lesson learnt more a necessity for us.

If we can sign 4 permanent players and then take 4 good loans it’s a brand new side and hopefully is much improved.

We need to look at players that we loan and then sign if get promoted. Not signing Henderson / Doyle etc really set us back over the years.

It’s like Tyler Morton would walk into our side and be a very good player with very limited risk. The same as players like Delap etc.

It’s a balance that we need to get right.

We’ve got 3 CB’s under contract and Anel is likely to leave.
Agreed. But Wilder clearly wanted Joe Worrall / Souttar. Seasoned professionals / big stature / former captains etc.

I’m not saying Phillips isn’t good but we need top end championship players now. Not players who will develop there.

We'll need to use all 5 loan spots to good effect as we know the finances aren't great.

My worry is that it needs a total rebuild and we need to bring in a strong spine with the future in mind.

We could be losing Foderingham, Baldock, Egan, Basham, Anel, RND, Souza, McBurnie etc.
Replacing them all with loans delays the issue.

Agreed. But Wilder clearly wanted Joe Worrall / Souttar. Seasoned professionals / big stature / former captains etc.

I’m not saying Phillips isn’t good but we need top end championship players now. Not players who will develop there.

We need "top end championship players now" - with what objective and overall team goals in mind?

We'll need to use all 5 loan spots to good effect as we know the finances aren't great.

My worry is that it needs a total rebuild and we need to bring in a strong spine with the future in mind.

We could be losing Foderingham, Baldock, Egan, Basham, Anel, RND, Souza, McBurnie etc.
Replacing them all with loans delays the issue.

I agree Captain, but if we need circa 10 players half of them being loans half being permanents isn’t too bad.

The problem we had last season was we only signed Anel on a perm, whilst everyone else recruited was a loan. The season before we didn’t sign anybody on a permanent.

Have said before - I know a ‘well informed’ Forest fan & he believes that Joe Worrall will almost certainly be joining us in the summer - as long as Forest aren’t relegated.
Would be over the moon with this signing if true.

Maybe one day we'll consider building a squad of our own. It's only about 3 years overdue

The players we can afford to sign permanently, whether free or for a fee, are not going to be as good as the ones we can sign on loan. “We should develop our own players” is a principle we can’t afford if we want to get promoted again.

The players we can afford to sign permanently, whether free or for a fee, are not going to be as good as the ones we can sign on loan. “We should develop our own players” is a principle we can’t afford if we want to get promoted again.
I agree DC. Some think Curtis, Brooks, Jebbison and Osula are going to be performing all of next season, maybe in the future, but not now.

Only Arblaster I'm comfortable with being a regular next season. Players like Phillips and Stansfield have more experience for a 'youth'.

Promotion would help the club financially.

Well, yes it would. Then you realise they are top end Championship players for a reason, get relegated, and are back in the exact same position having learned nothing.

Well, yes it would. Then you realise they are top end Championship players for a reason, get relegated, and are back in the exact same position having learned nothing.
It’s not the exact same position if you can invest in a training ground and a hotel 😁

It’s not the exact same position if you can invest in a training ground and a hotel 😁
True, I'm thinking more about being stuck with a load of high wage players who you've bought at the peak of their value that are never going to be good enough to keep you at the next level

True, I'm thinking more about being stuck with a load of high wage players who you've bought at the peak of their value that are never going to be good enough to keep you at the next level
The links with Worrall and Souttar were loans previously.

Yes & it would be a loan for Worrall again as he is apparently under contract for a couple more years for Forest. But while they are in the Premier League he can get nowhere near their first time , so in January, although he would have been willing to come to us - he ended up being loaned out to Besiktas until the end of the season on deadline day - but has hardly played.

Yes & it would be a loan for Worrall again as he is apparently under contract for a couple more years for Forest. But while they are in the Premier League he can get nowhere near their first time , so in January, although he would have been willing to come to us - he ended up being loaned out to Besiktas until the end of the season on deadline day - but has hardly played.
They will want the space in their 25 man squad.

Better to have him out the door and pay him some to leave. He would be my main signing in summer.
27 years old, been captain down there. Could sign him 3 year deal and you know your CCB is sorted for 3 solid years.

I would say he’s better than Anel so would be say £15m better off (if someone crazy enough to pay it)

I agree Captain, but if we need circa 10 players half of them being loans half being permanents isn’t too bad.

The problem we had last season was we only signed Anel on a perm, whilst everyone else recruited was a loan. The season before we didn’t sign anybody on a permanent.

I think we'll need more than 10.

I doubt we’ll be getting 8+ loans in the summer.

Of course not. The point being, we need permanent players in key positions to help build our future. I don't want to see 5/11 of our first team being young loanees.

I think we'll need more than 10.

Of course not. The point being, we need permanent players in key positions to help build our future. I don't want to see 5/11 of our first team being young loanees.

Aye, we'll see what renewals we put through. I have us needing something like:
1x backup GK (potentially first choice as well!)
1 x RWB (Assuming Baldock and Bogle get released)
2 x RCB (one of which being Holgate)
1 x CB
1 x LWB
2 x CM (First choice and backup)
2 x CF (First choice and backup)

15 out, 7 or 8 in, (loans and frees) then more of the youngsters making the step up. That's my guess anyway, I really can't see us paying a single transfer fee, regardless of how much we bring in via player sales. Hope I'm wrong and we do spend for the right kind of signing, (Johansson for one).

15 out, 7 or 8 in, (loans and frees) then more of the youngsters making the step up. That's my guess anyway, I really can't see us paying a single transfer fee, regardless of how much we bring in via player sales. Hope I'm wrong and we do spend for the right kind of signing, (Johansson for one).

Using CW's tried and tested method of 2 players per position, I have Curtis, Blaster, Brooks and Osula in the Core 22 player squad. I'm sure other youngsters (eg Peck, Marsh) will step up as needed to bulk the 22.

Back
Top Bottom