Anyone would think...

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Goals scored almost exclusively in park football.

Whether it fits your agenda or not professional football, even in the top 2 Scottish divisions, and certainly in the Eredivisie, is a million miles removed from park football.

The disappointment comes because the reality has fallen short of the rhetoric, going back to the game changing statement.

Last season there were no real biggies, but that was because of FFP, wasn't it? It would be different in the summer. Jim carried on the promise, then we have a seven figure raising cup run and record season ticket sales.

Get ready, some thought. But the first clear sign of intent, and I was criticised for saying so, was the re signing of Porter when we were so short up top. But still there was there was the rest of the window, surely it would come. The 2 or 3 quality signings that were suggested became numerous decent but un exciting 3rd division hopefulls. None of which would raise an eyebrow if Oldham had signed - though I grant you all above that level. We then do what we expect but hope otherwise, and sell the prized asset for 2.5m. Disappointing again, buyt clearly this would spark the bigger quality signings most crave. Then the window shuts, and this is it. Nothing......other than those trying to dress up re signing of 3 of last years squad and a several other reasonable but uninspiring signings as the package we should have expected.

Now it will be the loan window, and more promise about real spending in the championship. And now. Being honest, it will all sound like complete bullshit.

We should come clean, explain we're going to have to earn our way out of the mess, and figure out why we continue to burn cash so much faster than our rivals.

UTB

I've played football with a fair few big porkers who still had the touch and close control of Ronaldo.

If your profession is professional football player and you play it 20 hours a week, you should be able to control a ball no matter whether you're fit or not.
Not saying porkers or anyone unfit cant have great control ,but after playing and running against professional players you drain your resources and your touch and control go with it.

Not saying porkers or anyone unfit cant have great control ,but after playing and running against professional players you drain your resources and your touch and control go with it.

Agreed, the fitter you are the more focussed you are when you take the ball and the better the chance of controlling it at pace. If your a porker (as you put it) then all you have is your first touch and its less likely you are going to be controlling the ball at pace so its in effect easier for you to do so. You also have more timber to shield it with so while ever the ball is close to you (although not hiding under your gut!!) the harder it is to lose it.

As Worksop says though, if this is your job and its your strong point then (in the case of Higdon from what I have seen) its worrying you can't control the ball and it bounces off at all angles from minute 1 to whenever Clough decides to haul him off.

The disappointment comes because the reality has fallen short of the rhetoric, going back to the game changing statement.

Last season there were no real biggies, but that was because of FFP, wasn't it? It would be different in the summer. Jim carried on the promise, then we have a seven figure raising cup run and record season ticket sales.

Get ready, some thought. But the first clear sign of intent, and I was criticised for saying so, was the re signing of Porter when we were so short up top. But still there was there was the rest of the window, surely it would come. The 2 or 3 quality signings that were suggested became numerous decent but un exciting 3rd division hopefulls. None of which would raise an eyebrow if Oldham had signed - though I grant you all above that level. We then do what we expect but hope otherwise, and sell the prized asset for 2.5m. Disappointing again, buyt clearly this would spark the bigger quality signings most crave. Then the window shuts, and this is it. Nothing......other than those trying to dress up re signing of 3 of last years squad and a several other reasonable but uninspiring signings as the package we should have expected.

Now it will be the loan window, and more promise about real spending in the championship. And now. Being honest, it will all sound like complete bullshit.

We should come clean, explain we're going to have to earn our way out of the mess, and figure out why we continue to burn cash so much faster than our rivals.

UTB

Based on it sounding like complete Bullshit, you would think everyone had learned by now then wouldn't you? :)

Maybe it's the way we play. Seen it numerous times when the ball doesn't stick up top.
Are we saying that Henderson, Porter and Higdon are all a bag of shit?

We should remember that we have some strength from within the current squad which can improve us from what we've seen so far. Our first eleven isn't quite settled yet.

We can hope that a fit again Wallace and Scougall will strengthen our midfield. As he gets fitter Higdon should improve a lot, and I think the same goes for Baxter, who's been very positive the last couple of games. Basham has been given a role that is new to him and will hopefully start scoring some goals. People should notice that he's made his way into the box almost every time a cross comes in. I think JCR has more to offer than Flynn and will hopefully get a real run now. I also have high hopes that De Girolamo has something to offer us, hopefully starting with some appearances from the bench. I think it'll be a mistake if we keep treating him as a youth player.

In general we need to look at how we can score more goals. Only four teams have scored fewer than us, and it's a trend that's continuing from last season.

Defensively I think we look more solid and physical with Alcock (leaps like a salmon) and McEveley at full back. Doyle has also helped steady things for us. Being first choice is fantastic for McGahey's development and Collins will hopefully help him further. I do wish we still had Maguire though.

Whether it fits your agenda or not professional football, even in the top 2 Scottish divisions, and certainly in the Eredivisie, is a million miles removed from park football.

Of course it is. I was merely using the term to show my disdain for the level of football. The top two Scottish leagues are not of a high standard at all. The top few sides apart, neither is the Eredivisie. Success in though leagues is no guarantee of success even at League One level.

I fall in the not surprised category here. How many transfer windows have we now been through where we have been underwhelmed? In fact at any point while McCabe has been anywhere near the club I can only remember the Robson era where he became mad uncle Kev and gave the worst manager in our history the keys in a fit of utter lunacy. I wonder if he is so scarred by this that he cannot let anyone spend any money ever again. Seriously!

However, Clough did most of his business early and while many other clubs will have several games of bedding players in I feel our team while not spectacular will develop further. There are some good players in that squad, I don't join the wankathon over Baxter just yet but as Raul said to me just after he scored his wonder goal the other week (following an abject 1st half showing) he does have something. The back 4 isn't shipping goals and this is good. We have an abundance of midfielders/attacking midfielders and JCR down the wing is almost first name on the team sheet for me. Better a pacy winger getting chalk on his boots trying to beat a man than someone there just to stop the opposition attacking.

Up front is the obvious concern. I don't think Porter is anything more than bench fodder if we want to succeed (neither does Clough by the look of it) and Higdon has yet to impress (although there is time yet).

The lack of a pacy striker always concerns me. Someone to run at the centre halves and break the line of the back unsettles the defenders, frees space for a Higdon type player to score the goals in the box etc. Hopefully this will be rectified in the Loan window.

I loathe the transfer window. It turns normally sane fans into frothing maniacs who believe everything should be completed by 1st September or the world will implode and puts power into the hands of players and agents who can up the ante on their property and tout it around like a pimp to a whore. To an extent I applaud Clough and the club for not wanting their legs lifted but I'm afraid that if you don't join the line to get shagged up the arse by agents etc you invariably get left behind. I can't tell you if this is whats happened but if you go through the years our lack of bravery in the transfer windows has possibly been one of the reasons we are where we are.
I would have given this post a "like" had you not quoted Raul and suggested that he made a sensible comment ;);)

We should remember that we have some strength from within the current squad which can improve us from what we've seen so far. Our first eleven isn't quite settled yet.

We can hope that a fit again Wallace and Scougall will strengthen our midfield. As he gets fitter Higdon should improve a lot, and I think the same goes for Baxter, who's been very positive the last couple of games. Basham has been given a role that is new to him and will hopefully start scoring some goals. People should notice that he's made his way into the box almost every time a cross comes in. I think JCR has more to offer than Flynn and will hopefully get a real run now. I also have high hopes that De Girolamo has something to offer us, hopefully starting with some appearances from the bench. I think it'll be a mistake if we keep treating him as a youth player.

In general we need to look at how we can score more goals. Only four teams have scored fewer than us, and it's a trend that's continuing from last season.

Defensively I think we look more solid and physical with Alcock (leaps like a salmon) and McEveley at full back. Doyle has also helped steady things for us. Being first choice is fantastic for McGahey's development and Collins will hopefully help him further. I do wish we still had Maguire though.

Good post. I think Scougall and Wallace will add a lot.

If we can get a couple of good loans I think we are there.

see comment about a couple of loans. And as for why they weren't brought in sooner, presumably we tried and failed. You don't believe that the players we were after yesterday only came on the radar n the last 48 hours do you? One of the unfortunatel side effects of the transfer window is brinsmanship, forcing prices up and panic buying. I'm glad we didn't get sucked into it to be honest.

Conducting the bulks of one's business early doors and then relying on the more flexible loan market to fine-tune is by far the most sensible way of managing the madness that is the transfer window. Hats off to all at SUFC I say.

And yes, the sample size projecting 46 goals is far too small. You may as well say Jose Baxter will score more than 40 this season based on his current form.
Hi Kev..When are are you back in the UK, so you can tell RS the same old story in person instead of posting on here.

Back
Top Bottom