And breathe...

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

grafikhaus

Kraft durch Freude
Reaction score
Now that it looks like 'normality' may be returning, a chance to assess this season (and beyond). I had a long chat with a fellow Blade yesterday and he said he was 'worried' about next season. 'Will we be sussed out?' I asked if he seriously thought that all our up-coming opponents didn't prepare forensic reports on us prior to out games. Villa? Arsenal? Newcastle? Why would they wait until next season to get round to it? The 'experts' constantly refer to our 'overlapping backs', but haven't solved the problem so far - and if they do, CW/AK will be a few steps ahead.

The fact is, we're a lot better than many of us think. We've gone toe-to-toe with all the big boys and only Liverpool have outplayed us (unlucky at City, wonder goal v Leicester, should have won at Spurs etc.) History is usually judged on hindsight, but the evidence is currently right in front of us. We're bloody good!

Does not really tell us anything we don't already know but very enjoyable
well worth the watch

I don’t think it’s a matter of sussing us out: oppositions know what to expect.
As a team we have been very good with some individual skills, so there is no reason why we should fear next season.
There remain two areas of concern : 1 is the squad cover good enough to cover injuries and 2 the lack of goals.
The next 10/13 games may give us a clue as to how important these concerns are.

Now that it looks like 'normality' may be returning, a chance to assess this season (and beyond). I had a long chat with a fellow Blade yesterday and he said he was 'worried' about next season. 'Will we be sussed out?' I asked if he seriously thought that all our up-coming opponents didn't prepare forensic reports on us prior to out games. Villa? Arsenal? Newcastle? Why would they wait until next season to get round to it? The 'experts' constantly refer to our 'overlapping backs', but haven't solved the problem so far - and if they do, CW/AK will be a few steps ahead.

The fact is, we're a lot better than many of us think. We've gone toe-to-toe with all the big boys and only Liverpool have outplayed us (unlucky at City, wonder goal v Leicester, should have won at Spurs etc.) History is usually judged on hindsight, but the evidence is currently right in front of us. We're bloody good!

What's to suss out? It's not like we don't have obvious weaknesses. Other teams just have to be willing to match our effort and organisation. The teams that have done that, and have more talent (City, Leicester, Liverpool) have beaten us relatively comfortably (combined score of 8-1 over 5 games).

But until we consistently drop our levels or other teams up theirs, we will be successful.

We will just have to wait and see,i know thats stating the bleedin obvious,but the next set of games will be alien to all and no one knows how anyone will handle the strange circumstances that the players will encounter.

Point of order:
Leicester did beat us but not fairly and I don't think they over ran us either, god knows how VAR missed the blatant foul in the run up to their winner I think it was such a great strike they probably didn't review it properly.

There remain two areas of concern : 1 is the squad cover good enough to cover injuries and 2 the lack of goals.
I agree with these. Also next season I expect both Man Utd and Arsenal to be better, they may both rally and finish above us any way but I expect them to be better next season.

I don’t think it’s a matter of sussing us out: oppositions know what to expect.
As a team we have been very good with some individual skills, so there is no reason why we should fear next season.
The next 10/13 games may give us a clue as to how important these concerns are.

True, but I also think the Wilder/Knill partnership is right up there with the best. The goalscoring issue needs addressing. Just think where we'd be with just one man on ten goals...

Does not really tell us anything we don't already know but very enjoyable
well worth the watch

What's to suss out? It's not like we don't have obvious weaknesses. Other teams just have to be willing to match our effort and organisation. The teams that have done that, and have more talent (City, Leicester, Liverpool) have beaten us relatively comfortably (combined score of 8-1 over 5 games).

But until we consistently drop our levels or other teams up theirs, we will be successful.

It's OK knowing about our 'tricks', it's another expecting them, being prepared for them and countering them.

In 2018/19 (I haven't been able to get down much this season), I remember 3 pieces of genius in home games - overlooked by many.

12/3/2019 home to Brentford. 1-0 up but Madine is sent off and we're down to ten men. Relentless pressure from Brentford and it only looked a matter of time until The Bees equalised. Do we sacrifice a striker and try to bolster up our defence? Not Wilder. At HT, he brought off Hogan and Dowell and brought on Crainie and McGoldrick. Goldie scored our second goal. Brave and imaginative from CW.

13/2/2019. A home match - could've been Middlesbrough but not sure. 0-0 under the cosh and, as the teams re-appeared for the second half, Henderson was already on the pitch but the plastic disks had been put out and nine of our outfield players were going through their routines - usual at the start of the game but not at the start of the second. I asked the guy I sit next to 'Who's missing?' The game was about to re-start when Duffy appeared. Far to late to re-jig for the opposition.

27/4/19: Last home game v Ipswich. 1-0 up but we still needed to 'put the game to bed.' On the hour, we won a corner at the kop end, Fleck delayed taking it and O'Connell was around fifteen yards from our technical area, taking on liquid, refreshment...and tactics. Watch as J.O'C appears from nowhere in this vid. - to late for Ipswich to realise what's happening and totally unbalancing their defence:

We will just have to wait and see,i know thats stating the bleedin obvious,but the next set of games will be alien to all and no one knows how anyone will handle the strange circumstances that the players will encounter.

I've no fears about playing behind closed doors. We've got no 'galacticos' who need extra impetus from a crowd. CW will have them fully fired up. In fact, I think it might benefit us.

I agree with these. Also next season I expect both Man Utd and Arsenal to be better, they may both rally and finish above us any way but I expect them to be better next season.

But there will be teams - West Brom, West Ham, the ones who just make up the numbers etc. who will struggle. Man. U. were pretty damn good so far this season and we ran them very close.

Back
Top Bottom