Alan Woodward's goals and assists

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

To SUFC he'd have been worth 250k when we sold him as a fresh faced, promising teenager, rising to 500k if we threw in that L Badger bloke at right back.
To whoever brought him through he'd be worth a fucking fortune and worth every penny.

I was six when I first saw him and he became my favourite player (my dad was a Joe Shaw man, negative bugger) until TC rocked up and looked a bit more glamorous!
I was 19 when he packed in and that was that, my best footballing days, unbeknown to me at the time, were already behind me! I'm forever grateful I saw him but it really makes it hard to make a case for some of the dross we have to watch.

A superb thread though Silent, top marks.

To SUFC he'd have been worth 250k when we sold him as a fresh faced, promising teenager, rising to 500k if we threw in that L Badger bloke at right back.
To whoever brought him through he'd be worth a fucking fortune and worth every penny.

I was six when I first saw him and he became my favourite player (my dad was a Joe Shaw man, negative bugger) until TC rocked up and looked a bit more glamorous!
I was 19 when he packed in and that was that, my best footballing days, unbeknown to me at the time, were already behind me! I'm forever grateful I saw him but it really makes it hard to make a case for some of the dross we have to watch.

A superb thread though Silent, top marks.

I was 19 when he packed in and that was that, my best footballing days, unbeknown to me at the time, were already behind me! I'm forever grateful I saw him but it really makes it hard to make a case for some of the dross we have to watch..

Beautifully put.

GOAL - v Everton (h) 18.3.72. With two minutes left Woodward equalised from the penalty spot after Henry Newton had brought down Currie.
5f2e86d34e0ded6c50ef7b052c95d968.jpg

GOAL - v Blackburn (h) 10.12.77. After a Blackburn thrust on the left had been checked, the ball was knocked forward to Woodward in the centre circle, who ran straight at the heart of Blackburn's defence, forced his way into the area and hit a fierce low shot past Butcher to give United the lead.

4018017810.jpg

GOAL - v Blackburn (h) 10.12.77. After a Blackburn thrust on the left had been checked, the ball was knocked forward to Woodward in the centre circle, who ran straight at the heart of Blackburn's defence, forced his way into the area and hit a fierce low shot past Butcher to give United the lead.

4018017810.jpg

The goal v Bristol Rovers in Dec 1976 I think was his 141st league goal - was this a new Blades' record?

Superb stuff, brought back many memories that Silent, many thanks!... also nice to know my recollections of so many of Woody's screamers remain pretty good, they aren`t false memories of halcyon days, they are true memories of a super brilliant genius at work :) Thanks again Silent Blade

It gave him the post war league scoring record. AW is 2nd overall to Harry Johnson
Beating Doc Pace's post war record when he scored that goal against Bristol Rovers. Keith Edwards is now second to Woody in the post war scoring record

GOAL - v Everton (h) 18.3.72. With two minutes left Woodward equalised from the penalty spot after Henry Newton had brought down Currie.
5f2e86d34e0ded6c50ef7b052c95d968.jpg
christ i think i was at this game.. was it 72 though? i do remember playing everton and we equalised right at the end, finishing 1 - 1. i remember everyone who was leaving frantically trying to get back to the kop.. i never leave before the end as a result

christ i think i was at this game.. was it 72 though? i do remember playing everton and we equalised right at the end, finishing 1 - 1. i remember everyone who was leaving frantically trying to get back to the kop.. i never leave before the end as a result
Yes, the equaliser was in the last minute. The penalty decision was controversial. Many Blades fans thought TC was tripped outside the box but the ref, whose decisions frustrated Everton for most of the game, gave us the penalty

See Woody putting that pen to the keepers left? In my child's memory every single penalty went to the same side and without checking I only remember him missing one.

See Woody putting that pen to the keepers left? In my child's memory every single penalty went to the same side and without checking I only remember him missing one.
He has missed 4 penalties. Sunderland (h) 1965-66, Man City (h) Jan 1968, Coventry (h) Nov 1971 and twice taken against West Ham (h) March 1973

See video below (2.00), this is the only time I have known Woody hitting a penalty to the keeper's right

Can't for the life of me remember why, but I was sitting in BLUT for this game rather than standing on the kop.
I was at my boarding school that weekend :(

I knew we were leading 2-0 at half time. I got myself ready for the school Xmas party but stayed in the TV room with my mates (the rest had gone to the school hall). We were looking at the scores on the BBC Teleprinter and I was shocked that we lost 3-2! Next day I found out in the papers that the scorers for Rovers were Dave Staniforth and Alan Warboys (2). Both ex-Blades:mad:

ASSIST - v Man City (h) 1.11.75. Guthrie jumped high to meet a lob from Woodward, headed sharply downwards and although Doyle hooked the ball away it was clearly over the line.
I think this was the first time I ever saw United play. As a kid, I lived just round the corner and was curious and went in for the last 15 minutes when the big gates on Bramall Lane were opened up to allow people to exit (an exit for the new South Stand I think?), so I went in to watch. Remember seeing Joe Corrigan in net for City. It's all a bit hazy, it was nearly 40 years ago!

I think this was the first time I ever saw United play. As a kid, I lived just round the corner and was curious and went in for the last 15 minutes when the big gates on Bramall Lane were opened up to allow people to exit (an exit for the new South Stand I think?), so I went in to watch. Remember seeing Joe Corrigan in net for City. It's all a bit hazy, it was nearly 40 years ago!
Keith MacRae was Man City's keeper for that match

Just read this thread which I'll keep forever!

Many, many thanks Silent. A remarkable effort very much appreciated. When I suggested you might dig it out I never imagined the detail you had to reproduce. What a tribute and dedication at the end of the life of a great sportsman.

So interesting to be reminded of so many games and so many old players from United and all the other clubs. Past life flashing before us; reminders of better players; better United teams; better sport: ( but no internet and no fans' forums!!).

There is no way in this world that Woody was a lesser player than Currie. I never believed it, as he had quiet class, not arrogance like Currie, he was twice the player Currie was due to his loyalty to United.

There is no way in this world that Woody was a lesser player than Currie. I never believed it, as he had quiet class, not arrogance like Currie, he was twice the player Currie was due to his loyalty to United.

Sorry to burst that bubble, but he asked for a transfer in 75-6, as did Currie...

Sorry to burst that bubble, but he asked for a transfer in 75-6, as did Currie...
Yes, that was the Green Un headline after we lost 1-0 at Arsenal in January 1976. When I was doing the research on Woody's goals and assists at the Central Library in 2002 I had discovered that Woody along with Len Badger handed in a transfer request just after Arthur Rowley's sacking in August 1969. Not sure if the reason for the transfer requests in 1969 was due to Rowley's sacking or due to the board failing to agree on the bonus scheme for the squad at a meeting in the pre-season tour at Holland (John Harris and Dick Wragg flew over to Holland to have the meeting but Rowley was impatient with the length of the meeting and whisked the squad off to a pony trekking meeting at Hilversum which disgusted the SUFC board)

How ridiculous to introduce such an unnecessarily jarring note into a thread celebrating a great United player.

All yours, Woody!

CFHed7-WIAA4RpO.jpg

Back
Top Bottom