AGM

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

You are correct, money doesn't grow on trees and as a person who runs a business I concur.

It isn't necessary to spend a fortune in this Division though; just look at the players in Bristol C's, Swindon's, MK's squads and you will find no household names, no famous players, no massive transfers ...... in fact we've never heard of most of their players but still they win games and score goals at this level when we scrap around to take a point at home from Orient, Oldham, Notts C and Walsall !!

Consistency is the key at this level and we do NOT have it, neither do we have any strength and pace in the team. Whilst we lack these key ingredients we will struggle to scrape the play-offs at best in this crappy Division.
UTB & FTP

yes Darth, generally agree with all of that, although to be fair to MK Karl Robinson has been building to this point for about 3 years now - but point taken.

where I will argue - is if we had 6,7 or 8 points more there wouldn't be a whimper from most on here.
NC hasn't quite got the balance right, and it is, to be fair a "new" league for him. Clough does not walk on water with me, but I am still a supporter and feel he will get it right.

Agree about the draws from the teams above - NGE to quote fat face on MOTD.

yes again, consistency is the key and we are far from it, although we might, just might go on one of those runs we did last season. The players are good enough and perhaps, yes it's a perhaps, we might make key signings in January. Some think the club to be totally disingenuous about signings last August and one proposed transfer bash in January. We all profess to know someone who knows some one etc, but it is a widely held belief that players in conjunction with their agents do NOT want them to drop down as there is no guarantee we are going to get out either this season or next which is a dilemma. That means find players that gel - so if we can't buy a team then Clough has to mould one - hence the issues we have now.

I believe we have players this season to win games 1, 2 nil - that's it, but we have insufficient ability to stop goals being scored - it has to be said that Brayford/Harry/Collins/Harris and not forgetting Doyle in front did that last 2nd half season and we need that back, more than another midfield player or another centre forward.

We need to solve centre half and stop conceding stupid goals (2 in 2 weeks, Fleetwood and Walsall), would give us 4 more points and it wouldn't look so bad.

It might be boring and there as a very old cliché here - if you don't concede you don't lose - so lets be bloody boring just to get out of this division.

UTB & FTP (just for you!)

I entirely understand your opinion, of course I do "but".

IMO while we are down here we are best building a model which will take us two levels at least. To do that we need somebody big enough to build a squad of quality, youth, mobility and pace as essential ingredients.

To my mind, the manager should recruit the support of the board and fans and explain all the building blocks at every stage so that there is understanding of the need for patience ( for example when youth has to hold sway against short term results) about the vision.

It is entirely possible to induct potential Premier quality players into a league 1 squad; players who can cope with all three levels as they develop themselves. That scenario has to be going on while the club grows as well, otherwise things get out of kilter. It takes a Brian Clough, oh how I would be delighted if Nigel Clough could prove himself big enough to achieve it.

Yes agree with you Woodwardfan , and is the correct commendable way for a football club to develop . It is the MK Dons way . However , they have been in league 1 since 2008-09 and are still there . SUFC have been in league 1 for 4 seasons , which is 3 seasons too long and i see this season as a defining year of how we develop under Mr Clough , and unfortunately , nothing but promotion is acceptable , and if not achieved will be seen as failure. Patience is a virtue and sadly lacking with all blades fans , which includes myself. If we do not get out of this league this season , i just cannot see us doing it in the years to come.

For the record i am very much pro Mr Clough and Mr McCabe , just give me football and a winning side.

UTB

yes Darth, generally agree with all of that, although to be fair to MK Karl Robinson has been building to this point for about 3 years now - but point taken.

where I will argue - is if we had 6,7 or 8 points more there wouldn't be a whimper from most on here.
NC hasn't quite got the balance right, and it is, to be fair a "new" league for him. Clough does not walk on water with me, but I am still a supporter and feel he will get it right.

Agree about the draws from the teams above - NGE to quote fat face on MOTD.

yes again, consistency is the key and we are far from it, although we might, just might go on one of those runs we did last season. The players are good enough and perhaps, yes it's a perhaps, we might make key signings in January. Some think the club to be totally disingenuous about signings last August and one proposed transfer bash in January. We all profess to know someone who knows some one etc, but it is a widely held belief that players in conjunction with their agents do NOT want them to drop down as there is no guarantee we are going to get out either this season or next which is a dilemma. That means find players that gel - so if we can't buy a team then Clough has to mould one - hence the issues we have now.

I believe we have players this season to win games 1, 2 nil - that's it, but we have insufficient ability to stop goals being scored - it has to be said that Brayford/Harry/Collins/Harris and not forgetting Doyle in front did that last 2nd half season and we need that back, more than another midfield player or another centre forward.

We need to solve centre half and stop conceding stupid goals (2 in 2 weeks, Fleetwood and Walsall), would give us 4 more points and it wouldn't look so bad.

It might be boring and there as a very old cliché here - if you don't concede you don't lose - so lets be bloody boring just to get out of this division.

UTB & FTP (just for you!)

Good post . The route cause is to tighten up the defence and stop conceding goals . Mr Clough pulled off a blinder pre season and signed the best CH in league 1 , who is also a born leader.

We could take 1-0 win every day of the week , if we gave the guy another chance.

This really sums up our season for me.

UTB

Good post . The route cause is to tighten up the defence and stop conceding goals . Mr Clough pulled off a blinder pre season and signed the best CH in league 1 , who is also a born leader.

We could take 1-0 win every day of the week , if we gave the guy another chance.

This really sums up our season for me.

UTB

I am led to believe the argument with Butler and Collins and Doyle was with Morgs - with Clough rightly backing Morgs up. Something like "you lot can't defend right", and it was a big bust up.

Doyle has apologised - Butler, allegedly will not - hence the stalemate. January may see a new start for Butler at Utd (but an apology is needed first) or an attempt will be made to move him on - trouble is, Utd want a ROI and they want 500K - which gives a problem to other clubs.

We need a Butler type player - a leader in defence - FFS man.........get your heads together and work something out!

UTB

Excuse me Bladesway, did my direct response to your post make sense? A simple courtesy would help you to follow up your provocative accusations, unless you finally understood that anyone can be a slasher and a clapper, depending on the issue under discussion.

As for the FFP I have only ever paid reference to them as a possible consideration. prove otherwise, I challenge you.

I find it disappointing that some posters like you are happy to trade generalities and make wild accusations about the integrity of men of substance (in the club, not me!) and yet, when any thread gets detailed, you disappear unless you manage the odd barbed one-liner.

Let me help you. I think you are a slasher as regards the board, and a clapper as regards Clough. Perfectly rational if I may say so.
Got this thing called family, work and life that stops this forum being my full time occupation. Post when I can and don't when I can't. I sometimes miss entire threads and can't get to them on time or when I do the moment has passed.

Sorry if I don't or can't take up your challenge at this moment in time. Busy wrapping presents for excitable kids. Sort of takes priority over your and my minor disagreement.

January may see a new start for Butler at Utd (but an apology is needed first) or an attempt will be made to move him on - trouble is, Utd want a ROI and they want 500K - which gives a problem to other clubs.

Looks like he's off.

image.jpg

Got this thing called family, work and life that stops this forum being my full time occupation. Post when I can and don't when I can't. I sometimes miss entire threads and can't get to them on time or when I do the moment has passed.

Sorry if I don't or can't take up your challenge at this moment in time. Busy wrapping presents for excitable kids. Sort of takes priority over your and my minor disagreement.

Of course Bwy, plenty of time. I look forward to your response. Merry Xmas. I'll remind you, don't worry. Thanks for having time to read it though.

That's a shame that it has come to this, but we saw it last season with Lyle Taylor - NC doesn't stand fools gladly and it was quite noticeable that as soon as he came back from Walsall on loan he went straight to Donny - perhaps there is a swap in the air - who do they have that we might fancy?

UTB

I really don't get this idea that McCabe and the board are not trying to achieve success with the club. I highly doubt that they are happy with the status quo because they surely won't make any profit at this level and attendances will start to slide.
Maybe they have been doing this slightly on the cheaper side but who can blame them for that? It's incredibly risky to spend such money as many clubs have found out. At least though they have adjusted the budget several times.

Edit: Buying/Loaning 2 or 3 decent players and we can definitely get out of this league. Considering how crap us and everyone else is we can definitely get out of here.

Edit: Not suggesting we should completely splash the cash but 2 or 3 quality players and I think we will smash the 2nd half of the season.

Last edited:
Oh, I agree the people running United are doing a shit job, but what I have no doubt about is that they don't have some evil plan to deceive and bullshit the fans. They want United to go up as much as we do (even if they are evil money grabbing bastards, that's the best way for them to make some money), just they are not very good at working out how to do it :-(
He now owns two major buildings on the two corners of Bramall Lane end of the ground, I'd hardy say he suffers for his input.

He now owns two major buildings on the two corners of Bramall Lane end of the ground, I'd hardy say he suffers for his input.

I hardly suspect he is making a huge amount of money from either of them. As eny fule knows the big money in football is in the PL; hence anyone who gets involved with a club which has a reasonable chance of getting to the PL will want the club there.

I am led to believe the argument with Butler and Collins and Doyle was with Morgs - with Clough rightly backing Morgs up. Something like "you lot can't defend right", and it was a big bust up.

Doyle has apologised - Butler, allegedly will not - hence the stalemate. January may see a new start for Butler at Utd (but an apology is needed first) or an attempt will be made to move him on - trouble is, Utd want a ROI and they want 500K - which gives a problem to other clubs.

We need a Butler type player - a leader in defence - FFS man.........get your heads together and work something out!

UTB
If the problem is between Butler and Morgan, then sadly I think Morgan ought to get his head out of his arse and sort it out amicably. Sometimes the gaffer can be wrong and if Butler is as good as everyone says and Morgan can;t see that and is the root cause of the cold shoulder he ought to get a grip

I hardly suspect he is making a huge amount of money from either of them. As eny fule knows the big money in football is in the PL; hence anyone who gets involved with a club which has a reasonable chance of getting to the PL will want the club there.
Maybe it is but he has his bits of security in those buildings. Would you buy a hotel for a quid??? As for today AGM nuggets of hope about three good signings, remember when the (now) Forsyth BC was going to use its income to pay players wages??? That was a gem from the late 90s.

If the problem is between Butler and Morgan, then sadly I think Morgan ought to get his head out of his arse and sort it out amicably. Sometimes the gaffer can be wrong and if Butler is as good as everyone says and Morgan can;t see that and is the root cause of the cold shoulder he ought to get a grip

Too late for that tho with the deal being close with Donny

Same with Collins wouldn't you say?

Maybe it is but he has his bits of security in those buildings. Would you buy a hotel for a quid??? As for today AGM nuggets of hope about three good signings, remember when the (now) Forsyth BC was going to use its income to pay players wages??? That was a gem from the late 90s.

I don;t know what sort of money the hotel makes, but if I were looking to invest money in a hotel, my prime site would not be just south of Sheffield City Centre. As has been said millions of times before,if McCabe were just interested in making money, he would not have pumped millions into a mediocre football team. SUFC is an ego/vanity project for him; I sure he would like to make some money out of it if possible (hence why he would like the club in the PL), but his main reason for getting involved is to have the reflected glory of a successful team, hence this idea that he has an evil plan to fool the fans is nonsense.

Fuck knows why he got in but it's his getting out that's causing all the problems

I don;t know what sort of money the hotel makes, but if I were looking to invest money in a hotel, my prime site would not be just south of Sheffield City Centre. As has been said millions of times before,if McCabe were just interested in making money, he would not have pumped millions into a mediocre football team. SUFC is an ego/vanity project for him; I sure he would like to make some money out of it if possible (hence why he would like the club in the PL), but his main reason for getting involved is to have the reflected glory of a successful team, hence this idea that he has an evil plan to fool the fans is nonsense.
Its not an evil plan. It IS a vanity project, something to willy wave about generally... I own a football club and all that. He didnt invest in the hotel he bought it for £1. I can think of worse places to buy one than the current location.

Its not an evil plan. It IS a vanity project, something to willy wave about generally... I own a football club and all that. He didnt invest in the hotel he bought it for £1. I can think of worse places to buy one than the current location.

McCabe put up the money to buy the hotel with one hat on (in his capacity as owner of SUFC) and sold it to himself for £1 with another hat on. To all intents and purposes the hotel has always been owned by McCabe.

McCabe put up the money to buy the hotel with one hat on (in his capacity as owner of SUFC) and sold it to himself for £1 with another hat on. To all intents and purposes the hotel has always been owned by McCabe.
mccabe took over the entire site of bramall lane and the hotel to cut the losses of the football club going through the roof.
he did say that when the time was right he would transfer it back to the football club,maybe that might not happen now that
he has sold 50% of the football club.You Darren i think know more about these legallity situations than me.was it done for
tax purposes

Back
Top Bottom