Advantage compared to the last 2 Prem relegations

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

ReeceofBDTBL

Reaction score
There won't be the dead wood and overconfidence in the misleadingly mediocre like there was the last 2 times we went down to the Championship.

2007 was awful for it, thinking 'ah, he'll be alright in't championship' with the likes of luton shelton, gillespie, jon stead and michael tonge (who lets be honest was absolutely gone as a footballer once we were relegated, as his subsequent career proved).
Ditto 2021 with Oli Burke, Mousset, Enda Stevens had absolutely gone by this point and Didzy was past his best (luckily we had a minor miracle happen through the emergence of N'Diaye).
We also started the season with Michael Verrips as our number 1 option once Ramsdale was sold, happily this won't be happening with Grbic.

The injuries and horrific recruitment situation this season has led to the likes of Anel and Souza being shown for what they really are when our backs are against the wall and we needed some quality defensive players and leadership. Theres also little by way of illusions as to where Auston Trusty is as a footballer, he's not even a wilder type of player, utterly awful on the ball.
Its a good thing for us that we won't be spending the first 6-10 games of next season finding out how good traore, slimane and trusty are. We know they're absolutely awful.

Theres a long term benefit to a season not papering over any cracks whatsoever, every weakness we have has been brutally punished. Basham and Norwood have come to the end of their cycle, max lowe is off the wage bill and we're also ripping off the band aid with Baldock and most likely mcburnie as well.

Strength through adversity, its good to go into a season as a club not overestimating how good our squad is. This season has made that impossible

There won't be the dead wood and overconfidence in the misleadingly mediocre like there was the last 2 times we went down to the Championship.

2007 was awful for it, thinking 'ah, he'll be alright in't championship' with the likes of luton shelton, gillespie, jon stead and michael tonge (who lets be honest was absolutely gone as a footballer once we were relegated, as his subsequent career proved).
Ditto 2021 with Oli Burke, Mousset, Enda Stevens had absolutely gone by this point and Didzy was past his best (luckily we had a minor miracle happen through the emergence of N'Diaye).
We also started the season with Michael Verrips as our number 1 option once Ramsdale was sold, happily this won't be happening with Grbic.

The injuries and horrific recruitment situation this season has led to the likes of Anel and Souza being shown for what they really are when our backs are against the wall and we needed some quality defensive players and leadership. Theres also little by way of illusions as to where Auston Trusty is as a footballer, he's not even a wilder type of player, utterly awful on the ball.
Its a good thing for us that we won't be spending the first 6-10 games of next season finding out how good traore, slimane and trusty are. We know they're absolutely awful.

Theres a long term benefit to a season not papering over any cracks whatsoever, every weakness we have has been brutally punished. Basham and Norwood have come to the end of their cycle, max lowe is off the wage bill and we're also ripping off the band aid with Baldock and most likely mcburnie as well.

Strength through adversity, it’s good to go into a season as a club not overestimating how good our squad is. This season has made that impossible
…and the resulting outcome is…?

First time we'll go into a second tier season following Premier League relegation without Billy Sharp since 1994-95.

You would hope that we put the correct amount of planning in given that we have this advantage and that we make signings early in the summer. I’m not holding my breath though.

Strength through adversity, its good to go into a season as a club not overestimating how good our squad is. This season has made that impossible

I don't know how you can be so confident this is the case.

We knew Monty and Leigertwood was a terrible combination for a central midfield pairing after 2007-8. Robson started both of them in the first game.

We all knew Burke was useless after 2020-1. Jokanovic started him in the first game in preference to Sharp and McBurnie.

There is no guarantee that the cycle will not repeat itself and, say, we see Trusty and Souza start the first game, with Traore coming off the bench. Managers sometimes do daft things, and sometimes they are forced to as a result of lack of resources.

Managers sometimes do daft things, and sometimes they are forced to as a result of lack of resources.
This ⬆️

“I told the lads they had a clean slate”

Translated:

“The owner wouldn’t give me any money for decent players so I’ve wheeled out the shit we bought last summer”

I don't know how you can be so confident this is the case.

We knew Monty and Leigertwood was a terrible combination for a central midfield pairing after 2007-8. Robson started both of them in the first game.

We all knew Burke was useless after 2020-1. Jokanovic started him in the first game in preference to Sharp and McBurnie.

There is no guarantee that the cycle will not repeat itself and, say, we see Trusty and Souza start the first game, with Traore coming off the bench. Managers sometimes do daft things, and sometimes they are forced to as a result of lack of resources.

Everyone in football knew in 2007 Robson was a busted flush as a manager except Mcabe and Robinson.

I’ve heard a lot recently about what Wilder is going to do from him. The proof will be in what they do.

I have absolutely zero confidence in the club to act swiftly as this would go against recent transfer windows.

Previous experience also tells me Wilder only sticks with one target rather than having a back up.

Also in terms of releasing players we have a lot of crap players still under contract, which doesn’t bode well for next season.

We went down last time with an absolute dream team of a squad.

This time we don’t even have a squad.

Wilder kept saying the clubs signings will be good long term and put the club in a good position and he was right.

Now we don’t even have a squad. Hecky and PA have just not done any forward planning. I assume PA just thought he wouldn’t be here and this wouldn’t be his problem.

We went down last time with an absolute dream team of a squad.

This time we don’t even have a squad.

Wilder kept saying the clubs signings will be good long term and put the club in a good position and he was right.

Now we don’t even have a squad. Hecky and PA have just not done any forward planning. I assume PA just thought he wouldn’t be here and this wouldn’t be his problem.
We just kick the can down the road. That’s our problem.

None more so than hardly having a Plan B when Ndiaye made his decision.

We just kick the can down the road. That’s our problem.

None more so than hardly having a Plan B when Ndiaye made his decision.
Nailed it zero plan i hope we assemble a decent young hungry squad my fear is the more players we keep the longer this seasons hangover will be

As much as I get where you are coming from there are worrying noises about departing players and budgets.

I can't see us being able to shift Souza for a decent price. Perhaps we might be able to loan him with a view like Traore. (Who will surely be returning)

Slimane and Traore well, if we can't sell they are our players. They might do ok in champ... But that's 6m we could have spent more wisely.

Anel will probably be sold both player and potentially club will likely agree. Fee though.... £8m at a push for me. Ironically I think last summer we would have got comfortably £10-15m.

Now last time we came down we ideally needed to sell both Ramsdale and Berge. We needed circa 60m. But we only got £25m plus add-ons. (Eventually £30m) So this was why our policy was frees, loans and then one signing for a decent fee. (Anel).
It's also probably why we started to not pay our bills.

We can't operate like that this time. If we aren't squeaky clean paying we will get more points deductions and maybe embargo again.

This is where I suspect the Hamer selling for £15m and selling Arblaster are coming from. I hope it is not required to sell them but going on previous, it might turn out we have to, to avoid punishment.

If this is the case it's poor again from a running side. It's a gamble but we haven't really gambled.

But lots of whispers at the minute. Last time we went down we were hearing about Egan, sander, Ramsdale, baldock, bogle etc. all being sold and of course that didn't transpire.

We've just got to wait and see. And pray if poss for a new owner this summer. (Not happening)

…and the resulting outcome is…?
That we need a completely new defence and in all likelihood a completely new attack.....not forgetting 2 keepers too

So long as we don't sell Arblaster and Hamer we will have possibly the best midfield in the division.

But that's two thirds of tje team that needs sorting and given how we do everything last minute I can't see that being complete until the end of the window at which point we will be 4 or 5 games into the season !

Unfortunately we will be spending the first 6-10 games of next season finding out a whole new slew of players who will be awful for us.

2007 there was decent money to spend. Problem was we gave that money to a bloke who spent every waking hour pissed out of his mind.

2021 that squad ultimately came back up, and would probably have bounced straight back if they had stuck with Hecky rather than wasted time with Jokanovic.

This time it’s probably easier on the fans that there is no real expectation for next season. We’ve also got some managerial continuity so no clean slates for players that don’t merit one. Other than that there is very little to shout about.

I can see next season being similar to the last time we were relegated from the championship. Barely enough players to make a match day squad, relying on loans etc. I fear the real rebuild will take place after a few years stuck back in League One.

Dunno if I'm all doom and gloom, we're gonna be freeing up some decent wages with some of the old guard going (if true).

I can see some ambitious young players jumping at the chance of playing for a club that has been in the premier league 3 times in recent years, its a chance to take your career forward if they're good enough.

Kyle Walker and Harry Maguire show what's possible coming through and playing for united..

We are attractive to players, do not doubt that.

2007 there was decent money to spend. Problem was we gave that money to a bloke who spent every waking hour pissed out of his mind.

2021 that squad ultimately came back up, and would probably have bounced straight back if they had stuck with Hecky rather than wasted time with Jokanovic.

This time it’s probably easier on the fans that there is no real expectation for next season. We’ve also got some managerial continuity so no clean slates for players that don’t merit one. Other than that there is very little to shout about.

I can see next season being similar to the last time we were relegated from the championship. Barely enough players to make a match day squad, relying on loans etc. I fear the real rebuild will take place after a few years stuck back in League One.
Few that was a quick season ,not had chance to draw breath and were in league one.
Some real negative Charlie's on here.😏.

You would hope that we put the correct amount of planning in given that we have this advantage and that we make signings early in the summer. I’m not holding my breath though.
What is this planning thing you talk of???????

Much more chance to clean the decks properly this time rather than just keep some of the deadwood because they are still locked into contracts and no other club will take them.

This is where I suspect the Hamer selling for £15m and selling Arblaster are coming from. I hope it is not required to sell them but going on previous, it might turn out we have to, to avoid punishment.
I really hope you are wrong, but I could actually get behind the sale of Hamer (if we got a good price and he doesn't go to championship side and we can bring in a half decent replacement) it would be really short sighted to sell Arblaster though. I know this is a very different player and situation but I thought how Grealish and Villa worked out was perfect for everyone.

He got to a stage where he could be sold for a very good transfer fee and he played his part for the club that he grew up with, on the flip side he was able to go and achieve the things with a big club that has now has.

Currently Arblaster is a young player with potential, with limited (but positive) experience at the top level. If we sold him this summer, how much would we actually get for him.

If he has a standout season, absolutely dominating the championship, maybe a good cup run etc, they people start talking about a good transfer fee and I would be (sadly) on board with that. The other option would be a sale but we get him on loan for a season or 2.

Be interested to know how many of our fans would accept £20m for Arblaster and loaned back to us for a season btw.

Whatever happens in the transfer window, I hope the fanbase, club and team is more like a wounded animal with a siege mentality next season, rather than a self pitying toxic environment that see us descend back into the wilderness.

Humiliation is often followed by anger, but hopefully the fans will have more patience with a lot of brand new players

No chance of that it'll be last minute panic buys when all the available quality has gone! its the Blades way!

Back
Top Bottom