Adkins Interview After Wigan (H)

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

But for some reason he get's more stick than both? It puzzles me.
higdon got the occaisional goal.. porter could take a pen.. sammon does 'nothing'.. he strolls around and points. he doesn't run the channels.. he can't judge the flight of the ball. he is the worst header of the ball i've seen in professional football.

But obviously not curious enough to read the thread.

Apologies. Missed that post in between reading it on breaks. I still don't understand why you omitted them though.

Talk about Barney and agendas. Your views are becoming as much open to parody and ridicule as his but on the other side of the fence. How can you say that we should only despair at divison three mediocritybthis time next year?

For Sheffield United, mid table mediocrity in division three should NEVER be a case for anything other than despair. Even if you want to say there are better times ahead.

Apologies. Missed that post in between reading it on breaks. I still don't understand why you omitted them though.

Talk about Barney and agendas. Your views are becoming as much open to parody and ridicule as his but on the other side of the fence. How can you say that we should only despair at divison three mediocritybthis time next year?

For Sheffield United, mid table mediocrity in division three should NEVER be a case for anything other than despair. Even if you want to say there are better times ahead.

They weren't omitted, as explained above so the charge doesn't stand.

*Existential* despair means we're really stuck here and in some sense the club has died. Or perhaps more accurately its identity has changed.

As posted numerous times over several months Adkins can't get us out of this mess then I personally don't know who can, and we could be stuck in the footballing backwaters waiting for a friendly billionaire to happen along.

If promotion is looking unlikely by Christmas next year then it might be reasonable to conclude we will be a third division team for a long time to come. That will be our new existence.

As it is we lost our third game in three months and imo the outpouring of grief and anger was totally disproportionate.

Next three games I think two wins and a loss are a likely outcome as Adkins looks to loosen up the solidity and go for wins. The balance he talks about a lot.

Alternatively if the players for whatever reason are not motivated it could be a lot worse. Though I think he'll be able to find a match day squad who are.

I think if any supporter gets any solace, comfort or insight from NA interviews then fair play to them. Personally I prefer actions rather than words, which to date NA hasn't delivered. The last 17 games will give a clue if he is capable of turning it around.

Really poor OP. It's bad enough having to read clique-ridden summaries, let alone bias-ridden ones too.

They weren't omitted, as explained above so the charge doesn't stand.

*Existential* despair means we're really stuck here and in some sense the club has died. Or perhaps more accurately its identity has changed.

As posted numerous times over several months Adkins can't get us out of this mess then I personally don't know who can, and we could be stuck in the footballing backwaters waiting for a friendly billionaire to happen along.

If promotion is looking unlikely by Christmas next year then it might be reasonable to conclude we will be a third division team for a long time to come. That will be our new existence.

As it is we lost our third game in three months and imo the outpouring of grief and anger was totally disproportionate.

Next three games I think two wins and a loss are a likely outcome as Adkins looks to loosen up the solidity and go for wins. The balance he talks about a lot.

Alternatively if the players for whatever reason are not motivated it could be a lot worse. Though I think he'll be able to find a match day squad who are.

You aren't silly. You know that the outpouring of anger and frustration is not solely and directly linked to that statistic of three defeats in three months and to look at our form, season and situation in that context is frankly absurd.

I am one of the generally more positive posters on here, I think we could well have a good summer and be in a much better place next season, that is a distinct possibility. But right here, right now we are terrible. An absolutely awful side to watch, no pace, no fitness, no energy, no skill.

It is no suprise that people try to make fun of your views, we are currently in the midst of our longest spell outside of the top two divisons, getting progressively worse season on season and yet you STILL look at things in a positive light.

Not only the outlook, but frankly ridiculous statements like Adkins has had a good hit rate with his signings mean that it is hard to take you seriously at times. As crazy and infuriating a statement to read as Barney saying Sharp has been a poor signing.

I wouldn't sack Adkins, but that is mainly due to the sacking of previous managers rather than any faith that he may turn things around. Indeed, with his tactics, team selections, substitutions and signings - everything points to him not being up to it. I just can only hope he has learnt from this season, doesn't offer new contracts to the dross and brings in quality additions with the skill sets we need in the summer.

Thing is Folksey, if Nige decided to make Hammond is major summer signing along with Edgar, while offering new deals to the likes of Baxter, Collins JCR and Howard - guess who would be the one person on here looking at the positives....

"VERY evasive on whether he believes the board have given him the backing he needed

Asked whether everyone in the club is pulling in the same direction, he replied "well we have to be"
All he's doing is being sensible. In any job, call your bosses nobs in public and you sign your own death warrant. By pausing then towing the company line I think he said it all

Too specific?

Due diligence would be a player budget. Complicating factors such as wages and transfers being basically inseparable.

Adkins has most recently been backed with Hammond who is not a transfer obviously but is almost certainly a big financial commitment.

Unless someone's really playing games it looks like they would have backed him with the mythical figure of Dan Burn. Though I'm beginning to doubt he really exists.

I like to think the board (who appointed him) and Adkins are committed to the long term, and the existential angst after Satdi is a wild overreaction.

At the moment we're beginning a clear out *and* attempting to maintain a challenge.

Best case scenario is play-offs now.

Worst case, more Division 3, in which case summer recruitment could be walking a rickety rope bridge over a deep and deadly canyon.

Third tier mediocrity Christmastime 2016 is the time to despair.

Right now a winnable game at Donny on Satdi is next up.
But having a budget is no good if we can't get deals done. Again, when NA joined the club we had a record of being able to do deals.
I don't for one minute think he expected to see the end of the JTW without bringing anyone in.

You aren't silly. You know that the outpouring of anger and frustration is not solely and directly linked to that statistic of three defeats in three months and to look at our form, season and situation in that context is frankly absurd.

I am one of the generally more positive posters on here, I think we could well have a good summer and be in a much better place next season, that is a distinct possibility. But right here, right now we are terrible. An absolutely awful side to watch, no pace, no fitness, no energy, no skill.

It is no suprise that people try to make fun of your views, we are currently in the midst of our longest spell outside of the top two divisons, getting progressively worse season on season and yet you STILL look at things in a positive light.

Not only the outlook, but frankly ridiculous statements like Adkins has had a good hit rate with his signings mean that it is hard to take you seriously at times. As crazy and infuriating a statement to read as Barney saying Sharp has been a poor signing.

I wouldn't sack Adkins, but that is mainly due to the sacking of previous managers rather than any faith that he may turn things around. Indeed, with his tactics, team selections, substitutions and signings - everything points to him not being up to it. I just can only hope he has learnt from this season, doesn't offer new contracts to the dross and brings in quality additions with the skill sets we need in the summer.

Thing is Folksey, if Nige decided to make Hammond is major summer signing along with Edgar, while offering new deals to the likes of Baxter, Collins JCR and Howard - guess who would be the one person on here looking at the positives....

Firstly I appreciate the time taken on that post.

We are terrible to watch and I think I said as much after the Swindon game* which for me was the worst performance of the season, not because of the result but because of the lack of ambition, the inability to do even that successfully, and what it signalled for the rest of the season ie more of the same.

As posted originally, and clarified subsequently, the despair in plenty of places after Satdi was existential (and that's the ones I can see), the season had been written off, the Board were being sacked etc etc - that was a huge overreaction. We could still make the play-offs but it won't be pretty.

You disagree about Adkins signings fine. Take Sammon as a case in point. I've offered plenty of evidence - and some people have even liked these posts and chipped in with positive assessments of their own. It's McEveley all over again, but I don't think Sammon (or more to the point and to our detriment his form) will survive.

Somewhere I also tried to figure out the Dark Matter of Dean Hammond. If you're interested it's here http://www.s24su.com/forum/index.php?threads/dean-hammond.44353/page-3#post-919643

Fwiw I don't consider myself a clapper. There's plenty needs sorting out, but for whatever reason what I think needs sorting is different from what some/a lot/everyone else thinks needs sorting.

Pretty much every week when he does analyse the game Bergen Blade hits the nail on the head both in particulars and the generality of what went wrong. It really is a remarkable analysis. I'd take his posts as one starting point of some of what we need to fix.

As for the last part that's just made up. Someone else did that recently. It's strange being the object of people's fantasies. ;)

*Here we go

It's straight after the match, but at the moment that seems like the worst performance of the season (I know) and it's down to Adkins I think.

We played to their strengths (pass and move) by defending a lead.

Once they'd equalised - having missed a very good chance at the back post, and then the offside penalty - we were more progressive. Attacking their weakness (defending) I thought we finally looked dangerous, even with Billy on one leg.

It was a Clough game.

But having a budget is no good if we can't get deals done. Again, when NA joined the club we had a record of being able to do deals.
I don't for one minute think he expected to see the end of the JTW without bringing anyone in.

Even if that's true it does not necessarily imply he was shafted by the Board. When he has blamed anything (which is not in his nature) it's been bad luck of managerial changes or injuries meaning players getting a chance and impressing - and not just the Mythical Dan Burn.

His statements on this are pretty strong. We need to get someone in who's going to go straight into the first team. Don't panic buy. Quality not quantity etc.

There may be a rift, and the statements can be read that way. You can also read them another way.

Penetrating textual analysis of inexactitudes and inconsistencies in public statements made in an emotionally charged atmosphere straight after the game is enjoyable - sometimes it's all we've got to go on - but might not be all that revealing.

With this in mind I think the Thursday pre-game interviews might have more substantial content. If Rob Staton does next Thursday he might even ask some of these good straight questions.

We are terrible to watch and I think I said as much after the Swindon game* which for me was the worst performance of the season, not because of the result but because of the lack of ambition, the inability to do even that successfully, and what it signalled for the rest of the season ie more of the same.

As posted originally, and clarified subsequently, the despair in plenty of places after Satdi was existential (and that's the ones I can see), the season had been written off, the Board were being sacked etc etc - that was a huge overreaction. We could still make the play-offs but it won't be pretty.

You disagree about Adkins signings fine. Take Sammon as a case in point. I've offered plenty of evidence - and some people have even liked these posts and chipped in with positive assessments of their own. It's McEveley all over again, but I don't think Sammon (or more to the point and to our detriment his form) will survive.

Somewhere I also tried to figure out the Dark Matter of Dean Hammond. If you're interested it's here http://www.s24su.com/forum/index.php?threads/dean-hammond.44353/page-3#post-919643

Fwiw I don't consider myself a clapper. There's plenty needs sorting out, but for whatever reason what I think needs sorting is different from what some/a lot/everyone else thinks needs sorting.

Pretty much every week when he does analyse the game Bergen Blade hits the nail on the head both in particulars and the generality of what went wrong. It really is a remarkable analysis. I'd take his posts as one starting point of some of what we need to fix.

As for the last part that's just made up. Someone else did that recently. It's strange being the object of people's fantasies. ;)

*Here we go

It's straight after the match, but at the moment that seems like the worst performance of the season (I know) and it's down to Adkins I think.

Once they'd equalised - having missed a very good chance at the back post, and then the offside penalty - we were more progressive. Attacking their weakness (defending) I thought we finally looked dangerous, even with Billy on one leg.

It was a Clough game.

Afain fair play for the reply and the like is for demeanor rather than agreeing with content :)

I get that you have been critical but it is always tempered with a positive. Even after the example where you said it was the worst performance of the season (I'd raise you a Shrewsbury or Crewe).

As for Sammon it isn't like Jay Mac at all. McEverly has been on the end of some stick, some deserved, some way over the top, but he is what he his. He came as an ageing league one defender with his best days behind him who had to play out of position for much of his time here and was primarily cover when he first came.

Recently he has had a run of good form and generally, though he still makes the odd rick, he is solid enough and by and large the crowd have acknowledged his good performances.

With Sammon it is different. He came as our talismanic number 9, the type of striker we have needed for ages, from the Championship and at significant budget outlay it would be fair to assume. He cannot be said to have no effort and, when the tea leaves settle right he can be effective, Ches at home, Peterborough away spring to mind. However, generally he has been very disappointing. He cannot head the ball, his control is often laughable it is that bad and he has a bad habit for a striker of missing gilt edged chances.

I may be inclined to give him the benefit of it being just a bad spell of form, but it is EXACTLY what the Derby fans I worl with say about him and also the same as the Rotherham fans. So many people cannot be wrong. Not only that but if he is that good, why does Adkins not play him every week? Why does he get taken off at half time? He has been a total failure of a signing. But I suppose that is the fans fault.

higdon got the occaisional goal.. porter could take a pen.. sammon does 'nothing'.. he strolls around and points. he doesn't run the channels.. he can't judge the flight of the ball. he is the worst header of the ball i've seen in professional football.

No, sorry, I am not having that, that honor surely goes to Nylon Nobworthy ;)

The comment about signings having to be better than we have already - as some sort of justification for not making any - is ludicrous. I am a better player than most of our team and I'm in my late 40's..

Agreed ...... if our scouting team cannot find affordable players who are better than Sammon, Collins, McEveley, Hammond, Basham and a few others then they should try badminton !

UTB & FTP

*Here we go

It was a Clough game.

A few points;

I like your points without necessarily agreeing. For a start, I like the fact that you refuse to move with the herd. That's a different point.

The difference between Connor Sammon and McCeveley is that McCeveley has done it before, for a long period, at this level and above. Sammon hasn't - he's a poor footballer and has been a poor footballer for just about his entire time in England. Most thought that but hoped the drop down in divisions would do the trick - it just hasn't.

Speaking as a "big" Adkins fan myself, I find it impossible to defend his transfer activity so far. It has been poor. To argue otherwise undermines any other point I'd like to make.

My "McCabe out" type post certainly wasn't reactionary. It's taken me years to come to that point. My view hasn't really shifted. Rightly or wrongly I consider him very well intentioned, and very incompetent in running / owning a football club. Eventually, I've just had to accept that the incompetence is just too damaging to us.

UTB

Even if that's true it does not necessarily imply he was shafted by the Board. When he has blamed anything (which is not in his nature) it's been bad luck of managerial changes or injuries meaning players getting a chance and impressing - and not just the Mythical Dan Burn.

His statements on this are pretty strong. We need to get someone in who's going to go straight into the first team. Don't panic buy. Quality not quantity etc.

There may be a rift, and the statements can be read that way. You can also read them another way.

Penetrating textual analysis of inexactitudes and inconsistencies in public statements made in an emotionally charged atmosphere straight after the game is enjoyable - sometimes it's all we've got to go on - but might not be all that revealing.

With this in mind I think the Thursday pre-game interviews might have more substantial content. If Rob Staton does next Thursday he might even ask some of these good straight questions.
I don't think he's necessarily blaming the board, as such, but I imagine he's very disappointed. We've had a month to bring someone in.

I imagine he's also quite worried. If we continue to lose and draw who knows what our trigger happy board might do?

I don't think he's necessarily blaming the board, as such, but I imagine he's very disappointed. We've had a month to bring someone in.

I imagine he's also quite worried. If we continue to lose and draw who knows what our trigger happy board might do?
He's human - he'll happily accept the next half million our board decide to set fire to.

UTB

Off the top of my head:

Sharp - very good
Sammon - started the season very well, since then has become Scapegoat of the Month, has lost confidence. I have strong views on what has happened to Sammon which belong really in another thread.
Woolford - the biggest disappointment, does offer defensive discipline but nothing going forwards, seems to lose the ball more than any player I've ever watched, his warm-ups are fantastic (so were Freeman's) why none of this appears on the pitch I don't know
Edgar - doing fine, remember how nervy the centre of defence was last season? Collins still has his detractors but it's nothing like as bad as it was
Hammond - I agree that a lot of his best work is invisible, nullifying threats that then by definition don't appear - hence the invisibility, no coincidence we've been hard to beat since he came but the big problem is a lot of his visible work is so poor: being tackled, and/or muscled off the ball by younger fiercer players, and getting booked every game - how is he not suspended? Expectations were too high I think (me included). I thought we'd be getting a Division 1 reserves playmaker/club saviour, we didn't

That's not a bad strike rate.

We could have gone for young players on the up with, say, the Hammond money but as Adkins says you want them straight in the first team, and I can't see there are many of those - any available at our level will be like Adams: raw talent needing, but development

I think a lot depends on where we go from here.

There was a massive (existential almost!) overreaction to Saturday I think the defeat was coupled with the lack of transfer activity and added up to critical illness for the club. Wigan are flying and it was looking like 0-0 till Bash went bonkers. He also missed a very good chance just before. (Not a criticism btw.)

We could win our next three against teams below us and it all looks very different.

I think you are very kind to Sammon to be honest and realistically we're talking about a player who is a bit of a "journeyman" and hasn't got a decent scoring record in his whole career.

Sharp has been good in the last few weeks but had an extended crap spell when he missed a swathe of sitters.

Woolford, I agree offers little to us and Edgar, I agree looks fairly comfortable with Brayford at his side. Hammond needs somebody with pace, creativity and an engine beside him and we don't have one of those ... regrettably.

In short ..... we desperately needed 4 / 5 in on either loan or permanent in the JTW and the Club, again, have let down the long suffering fans. We ( fans ) are paying the price for the serious errors of judgement and incompetence demonstrated by the Board / Management over the last few years and I'm afraid that the patience of many fans is wearing thin ........ understandably.

UTB & FTP

Most thought that but hoped the drop down in divisions would do the trick - it just hasn't.

I know I'm on to a loser with the Sammon thing but I'm going to keep at it.

The player I saw playing well earlier in the season reappeared in the Blackpool highlights. I wasn't at the game but the highlights encapsulate his good points and what I think is his actual role in the team. He's not Deano nodding it down and causing mayhem in the box - but that's not his job. His touch on at least three occasions in that clip is very good:
  1. cushioned lay off into the path of Billy who curls it wide,
  2. control turn and shot,
  3. cushioned lay off to Che to Jam who passes to their keeper.
When he's playing well that's what he does.

I just don't see how anyone can watch that and not give him credit. And there was apparently a very good penalty shout as well.

The way I see it he's getting consistently and unjustly hammered (to the extent that Rob Staton asked a direct question about him in the interview presumably based on fans' reactions) and it's affecting him and therefore the team and the club.

Also fwiw it was clear that the McCabe out post was considered and not at all reactionary but, getting back to the theme of existentialism, the time for that change, if at all*, is at the end of the season. It really did feel like the end of the world at times after Satdi. Maybe even more so than any of our other large collection of miserable defeats this season. (I felt it too. I really did nearly miss the second bc I still had my head in my hands with the utter brainlessness and dire consequences of the first.)

No incoming players, No goals, and No points is an Unholy Trinity.

But taking a step back I know it's selective but our next six games are:

February 2016

League One
DoncastervSheff Utd

Sat 13 Feb 15:00
League One
BuryvSheff Utd

Tue 16 Feb 19:45
League One
Sheff UtdvPort Vale

Sat 20 Feb 15:00
League One
RochdalevSheff Utd

Sat 27 Feb 15:00
March 2016
Show last 5 matches and coverage Competition Fixture Date Kick-off Status
League One
Sheff UtdvBurton

Tue 1 Mar 19:45
League One
FleetwoodvSheff Utd

Nearly all these teams are below us (spot the odd one out).

It's too early to give up just yet.

UTMB

*It belongs in that thread but my response (without necessarily disagreeing) would be: has McCabe's decision-making improved given that he was party to getting Adkins?

Hammond - I agree that a lot of his best work is invisible, nullifying threats that then by definition don't appear - hence the invisibility, no coincidence we've been hard to beat since he came but the big problem is a lot of his visible work is so poor: being tackled, and/or muscled off the ball by younger fiercer players, and getting booked every game - how is he not suspended? Expectations were too high I think (me included). I thought we'd be getting a Division 1 reserves playmaker/club saviour, we didn't
The problem with his 'invisible work' is that he takes 15-20 minutes to do it. The problem with his visible work is he is either passing backwards to defenders under pressure or trying to kick people.

My expectation was we'd brought in a footballer. Too high indeed!

I agree he is awful at judging the flight and heading the ball but disagree about not running the channels and strolling about. He offers miles more in terms of workrate than Higdon and is quicker than Porter. I do think he's getting worse as the season goes on though which is probably a psychological issue. He seemed a lot more confident receiving the ball when he first arrived and was chipping in with goals and assists in the first few games.

I know I'm on to a loser with the Sammon thing but I'm going to keep at it.

The player I saw playing well earlier in the season reappeared in the Blackpool highlights. I wasn't at the game but the highlights encapsulate his good points and what I think is his actual role in the team. He's not Deano nodding it down and causing mayhem in the box - but that's not his job. His touch on at least three occasions in that clip is very good:
  1. cushioned lay off into the path of Billy who curls it wide,
  2. control turn and shot,
  3. cushioned lay off to Che to Jam who passes to their keeper.
When he's playing well that's what he does.

I just don't see how anyone can watch that and not give him credit. And there was apparently a very good penalty shout as well.

The way I see it he's getting consistently and unjustly hammered (to the extent that Rob Staton asked a direct question about him in the interview presumably based on fans' reactions) and it's affecting him and therefore the team and the club.

Also fwiw it was clear that the McCabe out post was considered and not at all reactionary but, getting back to the theme of existentialism, the time for that change, if at all*, is at the end of the season. It really did feel like the end of the world at times after Satdi. Maybe even more so than any of our other large collection of miserable defeats this season. (I felt it too. I really did nearly miss the second bc I still had my head in my hands with the utter brainlessness and dire consequences of the first.)

No incoming players, No goals, and No points is an Unholy Trinity.

But taking a step back I know it's selective but our next six games are:

February 2016

League One
DoncastervSheff Utd

Sat 13 Feb 15:00
League One
BuryvSheff Utd

Tue 16 Feb 19:45
League One
Sheff UtdvPort Vale

Sat 20 Feb 15:00
League One
RochdalevSheff Utd

Sat 27 Feb 15:00
March 2016
Show last 5 matches and coverage Competition Fixture Date Kick-off Status
League One
Sheff UtdvBurton

Tue 1 Mar 19:45
League One
FleetwoodvSheff Utd

Nearly all these teams are below us (spot the odd one out).

It's too early to give up just yet.

UTMB

*It belongs in that thread but my response (without necessarily disagreeing) would be: has McCabe's decision-making improved given that he was party to getting Adkins?

One good game, or one good spell in a game, in 2 or 3 months does not make him good enough.

If he had more good games than bad then there would be a case for arguing in his favour, IMO, but he doesn't.

The problem we have is that we are continually making allowances for poor players who aren't good enough for a League 1 promotion chasing side.

He's also 29, he isn't going to improve any time soon, so is a player we can do without next season.

Back
Top Bottom