A respectful thread: Players that may or may not depart this summer

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Got to say again , if we cant find or afford players better than these , we dont belong in the premier league
The difference here is that we are talking about 11/12, not just 5/6.
Few teams could find and afford that many.

I disagree. Norwood has never been a box-to-box midfielder. He sits just in front of the back three, receives it from Egan and thumps it long or across the pitch. He never carries the ball out and is still fragile with jockeying and tackling.

pommpey
Next to 😉

Stevens - great signing when he came and served the club well but done now as a Blade and unfit for purpose moving back up to the Prem. Release.

Fleck - has had an off-on career in red-and-white, epitomised by Wilder's characterisation as 'Jimmy' or 'Johnny'. Won't cut it at all upstairs. Release.

Norwood - to some 'the player who makes us tick'. To others, a wasteful showpony and even moreso now when shown against a real midfield general like Doyle. Will be bled dry upstairs. He was last time. Release.

Basham - still possesses a decent level of skill and footballing nuance. He is however getting on a bit and might be taking up a billet in the squad better taken by a younger, more adept footballer. But he has the ability to be a swiss army knife of adaptability. CB, WB, MF. Could be a Cup player or an emergency stand in, at least on a one year contract. Keep.

Sharp - hope he gets his 250th. But in the PL he will be toast. Release,

McBurnie - now back at his McPub level of shitness. Release.

Brewster - a mistake signing. An injury liability and unlikely to never show any of his worth. Release.

Osborn - another one only just good enough for the Champ not nowhere near good enough for the PL. Release

Berge - has a fucking lorryload of convincing to do. Keep ... but holding one's nose doing so

Lowe - just Release. He will be embarassingly shit in the division above.

Bogle - another one underperforming. Keep but with reservations

pommpey
"A respectful thread" Pommps 😄🤦

8 set out by Pompey plus 4 loans that will have left.

The problem is, is that this has been looming for ages. Sure, we finished second. Sure, we're runners up. Sure, we are promoted.

Can anyone really say we are Premier League ready though? Or even halfway there? Even the struggling PL sides this weekend are streets ahead of us in playing style, possession and above all else, ability to get the ball to the attackers and finish. Our massive problem and the elephant in the room is that 5-3-2 or even 3-5-2 whichever way you want it starves our frontline of clear chances unless the opposition are shit enough to let us in. The hit rate of our attackers from midfield play is shockingly shite. Ouyr goals come from messy setplays and the mercurial talents of NDaiye. You never much get a proper back-to-front set of passing and execution. Our strikers at the moment are struggling to make their marks and the midfield and defence when up in the box for setplays are the difference. We don't much score from distance, nor do we feed killer passes. And that is indicative of the system we play and the players we have. We play far too much side to side across the back still, we never carry and advance with the midfield as a unit and we don't press and dispossess up in their half. Everything is wing based. And again there is the conundrum because our protagonists of this play, Basham, Norwood, Stevens can't readily find our attackers and when they do, it's at the feet of the likes of McBurnie whose ball control and vision is at best mediocre and at worst laughably shit. Plus, we don't half have a propensity to sign players who get (and stay) injured don't we?

I just think we have wasted a lot of opportunity to change the system and build the quality under the prince. This season our wins have been somewhat hard fought, a lot of the time where they need not to be, and this makes me think that if we don't change things accordingly, our first win will be a long time coming.

pommpey

Who is the 12 that need replacing ?
Hi Stegosaurus here

Enda
Fleck
Basham
Sharp
Egan
Norwood

They are all past their sell by date.

JOC (unfortunately he is finished because of that injury)

League 1 Wes
Robinson
Lowe
Bogle

Aren't anywhere near Premier League quality

That's 11 players already --- then we need to get a good, Premier League quality striker in because McBurnie and Brewster can't cut it. Though they may serve ok as subs and backup.

The problem is, is that this has been looming for ages. Sure, we finished second. Sure, we're runners up. Sure, we are promoted.

Can anyone really say we are Premier League ready though? Or even halfway there? Even the struggling PL sides this weekend are streets ahead of us in playing style, possession and above all else, ability to get the ball to the attackers and finish. Our massive problem and the elephant in the room is that 5-3-2 or even 3-5-2 whichever way you want it starves our frontline of clear chances unless the opposition are shit enough to let us in. The hit rate of our attackers from midfield play is shockingly shite. Ouyr goals come from messy setplays and the mercurial talents of NDaiye. You never much get a proper back-to-front set of passing and execution. Our strikers at the moment are struggling to make their marks and the midfield and defence when up in the box for setplays are the difference. We don't much score from distance, nor do we feed killer passes. And that is indicative of the system we play and the players we have. We play far too much side to side across the back still, we never carry and advance with the midfield as a unit and we don't press and dispossess up in their half. Everything is wing based. And again there is the conundrum because our protagonists of this play, Basham, Norwood, Stevens can't readily find our attackers and when they do, it's at the feet of the likes of McBurnie whose ball control and vision is at best mediocre and at worst laughably shit. Plus, we don't half have a propensity to sign players who get (and stay) injured don't we?

I just think we have wasted a lot of opportunity to change the system and build the quality under the prince. This season our wins have been somewhat hard fought, a lot of the time where they need not to be, and this makes me think that if we don't change things accordingly, our first win will be a long time coming.

pommpey
I agree with all of that and clearly we need a dozen new players into the squad. However I just don’t think we have the time and money to find, persuade and pay for that many in less than three windows.
It is a problem created over the last two years and moving forward we need to keep adding “Anels” on a regular basis.

I agree with all of that and clearly we need a dozen new players into the squad. However I just don’t think we have the time and money to find, persuade and pay for that many in less than three windows.
It is a problem created over the last two years and moving forward we need to keep adding “Anels” on a regular basis.

What hasn't helped is the cohort(on here in particular) whose eyes are so scaled that getting shut of Norwood is tantamount to child abuse in it's vileness. Reluctantly, now we have a midfield grafter who doesn't rely on showpony shit and gets stuck in and creates from a myriad of options people are reluctantly and with great resistance admitting Norwood is simply one dimensional football and it is he who saddles us with Wilderball because everything hinges on him. People have said, 'press him and he's rubbed out' and if people on here can see that, tacticians in opposition clubs will definitely have seen it. Don't get me wrong, Doyle isn't perfect but fuck me he's a significant upgrade even if technically he is playing in a system not built to exploit box-to-box midfielding. For too long any criticism of Norwood has been loudly farted at yet in our relegation season he was absolutely useless, shit under Slav and took some time to marginally improve under Hecky. Yet still people say he is 'the best midfielder we have had playing in red and white' and 'he makes us tick'. People have run out of excuses for Fleck and Stevens, have lost patience with Lowe and Bogle and are (like me) having to manfully admit that Basham is down the pecking order by some measure. Then there's McBurnie who is now just nowhere near what we need in a PL striker and never will be. Brewster is a fucking crock and our last great hope, RND, has taken a fucking painfully long time to get over a hamstring injury which suggests a tear which suggests its serious which suggests JOC.

So who have we got? Jacky Longthrow ... he'll get picked on as will Egan ... Anel ... well, he been 'okay' and improving since his short absence. Berge ... enough said about him and in my opinion he'll struggle like fuck against nimble, unforgiving midfields and up front Ndaiye without whom we'd now be needing snookers to get in the playoffs.

There are bigger 'bonnet-up' engineering upgrades needed for us to even compete in the race and not be left on the start line.

pommpey

pommpey
got to agree with you on the formation pommps for me we have to go either 4231 or if we carry on playing a back 3 has to be 3421 i dont think theres any point playing 2 out and out strikers in the premier league we just wont have enough possesion they would hardly get a touch really think we need a striker in who could play the 1 up top role with jebbo as his understudy plus our other main priority imo is a physical athletic defensive midfielder

got to agree with you on the formation pommps for me we have to go either 4231 or if we carry on playing a back 3 has to be 3421 i dont think theres any point playing 2 out and out strikers in the premier league we just wont have enough possesion they would hardly get a touch really think we need a striker in who could play the 1 up top role with jebbo as his understudy plus our other main priority imo is a physical athletic defensive midfielder

The four in the middle need to be absolutely solid too and work as a line, covering off as the opposite side moves up the flank. We also need to carry the ball up the middle. If we are looking to get Ndaiye in the game more we have to play to his strengths and not allow him to get boxed in and dispossessed by PL oppositions who will hunt him down in packs and remove him out of the gameplay. MGW is the answer here.

pommpey

pommpey
532 (or 5212 with "the Duffy role") was brilliant at its peak. We played good football, the overlapping centre backs were devastatingly effective, and it was a genuinely unique system that worked. But now it doesn't.

Unfortunately 532 is ingrained in our DNA from top to bottom despite it being a bit of a mess at times. The opposition consistently look like they've got an extra man and we end up outnumbered when we're defending, so we knock it down the channels where our attackers also end up outnumbered and isolated, we lose the ball, rinse and repeat.

I'm genuinely worried we'll be exposed on a regular basis against superior opposition and it could be a very long season unless the tactics are overhauled.

The four in the middle need to be absolutely solid too and work as a line, covering off as the opposite side moves up the flank. We also need to carry the ball up the middle. If we are looking to get Ndaiye in the game more we have to play to his strengths and not allow him to get boxed in and dispossessed by PL oppositions who will hunt him down in packs and remove him out of the gameplay. MGW is the answer here.

pommpey
well of the 2 set ups ive mentioned i prefer 4231 but know hecky will stick to 3 at the back so 3421 would be my formation and as you say someone like mgw with nidaye as the 2 would be ideal and yes the 2 in the middle would have to be strong thats why we need a defensive midfielder to come in and play alongside doyle mcatee or berge could both play as the 2 with nidaye in behind a striker know we wont get him but gyorkeres would be ideal in that position or maybe che adams still rate him despite his shithousery first time he was here

What hasn't helped is the cohort(on here in particular) whose eyes are so scaled that getting shut of Norwood is tantamount to child abuse in it's vileness. Reluctantly, now we have a midfield grafter who doesn't rely on showpony shit and gets stuck in and creates from a myriad of options people are reluctantly and with great resistance admitting Norwood is simply one dimensional football and it is he who saddles us with Wilderball because everything hinges on him. People have said, 'press him and he's rubbed out' and if people on here can see that, tacticians in opposition clubs will definitely have seen it. Don't get me wrong, Doyle isn't perfect but fuck me he's a significant upgrade even if technically he is playing in a system not built to exploit box-to-box midfielding. For too long any criticism of Norwood has been loudly farted at yet in our relegation season he was absolutely useless, shit under Slav and took some time to marginally improve under Hecky. Yet still people say he is 'the best midfielder we have had playing in red and white' and 'he makes us tick'. People have run out of excuses for Fleck and Stevens, have lost patience with Lowe and Bogle and are (like me) having to manfully admit that Basham is down the pecking order by some measure. Then there's McBurnie who is now just nowhere near what we need in a PL striker and never will be. Brewster is a fucking crock and our last great hope, RND, has taken a fucking painfully long time to get over a hamstring injury which suggests a tear which suggests its serious which suggests JOC.

So who have we got? Jacky Longthrow ... he'll get picked on as will Egan ... Anel ... well, he been 'okay' and improving since his short absence. Berge ... enough said about him and in my opinion he'll struggle like fuck against nimble, unforgiving midfields and up front Ndaiye without whom we'd now be needing snookers to get in the playoffs.

There are bigger 'bonnet-up' engineering upgrades needed for us to even compete in the race and not be left on the start line.

pommpey
We should have enough without any new signings to get over the start line !
Who we can get by August will define whether we are nearer the latter than the finish line next May.
I think we will add quite well and make a fist of it before going back down without disgrace. What happens in the JTW and then next summer will identify what ambition and quality the Club has.

pommpey
But look at Norwoods fukin stats man , they must be nearly as good as Bannans !

Might as well talk about which unicorn you will be flying to Atlantis on because 4 at back isn't happening

Back
Top Bottom