A respectful thread: Players that may or may not depart this summer

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

brownblade

Reaction score
Clearly about 20 threads on this topic already, but often they use unfair/harsh/flippant descriptions of club legends and do-gooders.

I'd be genuinely sad to see any of these players leave, but whether it's contract/age, their names have been mentioned.

What might be a good move for them? Obviously I have no idea if they want to relocate, stay, etc. Just thoughts/suggestions for these forever Bladesmen.

In no particular order:

Enda Stevens - Perhaps he'd excel with a year or two at his old team Portsmouth in L1, if they need an LWB/LB/LCB to help a promotion push. Enda was so good for us it was unreal. He was better than 40/50mill LWBs in 2019.

John Fleck - Another incredible servant that was truly brilliant for us. Maybe he'd like to follow in DidZy's footsteps in bringing experience to Derby, or Bolton. Doubtless he could get a move to a top flight Scottish side if that was his desire.

Billy Sharp - Wow. Well, if he wants to keep scoring goals, I wanted to suggest a return to Donny but they're only in L2 currently. He'd have so many EFL suitors. If he wants to retire here I'm sure we'd give him a coaching related role in a heartbeat. I'm not sure if we've got the budget to keep him onboard as a player unless he absolutely slashes his salary, because no doubt he's a massive positive influence on our club and training ground. Legend. Obviously. Still in good shape for his age!

Oli Norwood - Reyt good. Should stay at Blades in my opinion, likely as a squad/bench option (but I'm not forgetting he was an integral player for at least 2/3 of this promotion season). If he moves, he'll have his pick from 95% clubs in the Championship.

Chris Basham - Has another year anyway, but we can't lose his personality and professionalism at this point in time. If he wants to move, he'll have many EFL options. Personally I think we want and planned to keep him in and around the squad even if he's unlikely to feature in the league next season.

Oli McBurnie - Undoubtedly helped us to promotion this season. He's here, he's a passionate player, I think it's mad to even consider moving him on at his peak age-wise. He'd go somewhere in the Championship and score 15-20 for a team playing fully to his strengths. He might not be quite right for the Prem tactically, but can be a great option on the bench.

Adam Davies - Keepers are obviously a bit different, but he seems popular and can definitely be a backup option for us if he's happy to be.

Ben Osborn - Super pro, lovely guy, great work ethic, underrated footballer at this level. I really like him and his . He'd have no problem whatsoever finding a Championship team if he moves on.

Jack Robinson - Has been fantastic for us in the last season and a half (ish). After really difficult times as well, what a guy, huge respect from Blades fans. Feel like his attitude and knowing the LCB role would make him a good bench/squad option. If he moves, various Championship clubs would definitely like him to play a similar role for them. NOTE: If you stay Jack, remember that VAR will frown on choke slams.

I've probably missed one or two more players that have been mentioned here or there, for contract or age type reasons.

What a group of lads. ♥️🤍♥️🤍

Didn't Basham sign an extension literally the other day?

I would keep Bash, Jack Robinson, Norwood and McBurnie but would let the rest go.
I have huge respect for them but feel we need more legs in the Prem.
It’s been clear that’s what we needed this year and the introduction of Doyle and Mcatee gave us exactly that from the Spurs game onwards.
Also with the financial constraints we have we are probably building for a season back in the Championship so better to get some younger players integrated with the squad this season rather than next.
If Billy wants a player-coach role on an affordable salary then fine, but he really shouldn’t get much game time.

Great OP. Was thinking the same, couldn't understand why the most important thing people wanted to discuss at this time, was the urgency of ditching a few great club servants, with this binning off attitude. Agree with all your calls, spot on !

Clearly about 20 threads on this topic already, but often they use unfair/harsh/flippant descriptions of club legends and do-gooders.

I'd be genuinely sad to see any of these players leave, but whether it's contract/age, their names have been mentioned.

What might be a good move for them? Obviously I have no idea if they want to relocate, stay, etc. Just thoughts/suggestions for these forever Bladesmen.

In no particular order:

Enda Stevens - Perhaps he'd excel with a year or two at his old team Portsmouth in L1, if they need an LWB/LB/LCB to help a promotion push. Enda was so good for us it was unreal. He was better than 40/50mill LWBs in 2019.

John Fleck - Another incredible servant that was truly brilliant for us. Maybe he'd like to follow in DidZy's footsteps in bringing experience to Derby, or Bolton. Doubtless he could get a move to a top flight Scottish side if that was his desire.

Billy Sharp - Wow. Well, if he wants to keep scoring goals, I wanted to suggest a return to Donny but they're only in L2 currently. He'd have so many EFL suitors. If he wants to retire here I'm sure we'd give him a coaching related role in a heartbeat. I'm not sure if we've got the budget to keep him onboard as a player unless he absolutely slashes his salary, because no doubt he's a massive positive influence on our club and training ground. Legend. Obviously. Still in good shape for his age!

Oli Norwood - Reyt good. Should stay at Blades in my opinion, likely as a squad/bench option (but I'm not forgetting he was an integral player for at least 2/3 of this promotion season). If he moves, he'll have his pick from 95% clubs in the Championship.

Chris Basham - Has another year anyway, but we can't lose his personality and professionalism at this point in time. If he wants to move, he'll have many EFL options. Personally I think we want and planned to keep him in and around the squad even if he's unlikely to feature in the league next season.

Oli McBurnie - Undoubtedly helped us to promotion this season. He's here, he's a passionate player, I think it's mad to even consider moving him on at his peak age-wise. He'd go somewhere in the Championship and score 15-20 for a team playing fully to his strengths. He might not be quite right for the Prem tactically, but can be a great option on the bench.

Adam Davies - Keepers are obviously a bit different, but he seems popular and can definitely be a backup option for us if he's happy to be.

Ben Osborn - Super pro, lovely guy, great work ethic, underrated footballer at this level. I really like him and his . He'd have no problem whatsoever finding a Championship team if he moves on.

Jack Robinson - Has been fantastic for us in the last season and a half (ish). After really difficult times as well, what a guy, huge respect from Blades fans. Feel like his attitude and knowing the LCB role would make him a good bench/squad option. If he moves, various Championship clubs would definitely like him to play a similar role for them. NOTE: If you stay Jack, remember that VAR will frown on choke slams.

I've probably missed one or two more players that have been mentioned here or there, for contract or age type reasons.

What a group of lads. ♥️🤍♥️🤍
Agree with most of that except Adam Davies. I know he’s an international but so is Robin Olsen and he was abject for us.

Keeper is going to be one of the key positions for us next season.

Other than that, well written. Enda would be a great signing for someone like Portsmouth.

I wouldn’t rule Donny out for Billy but as you say it’s league 2, but I think he’d fill his boots in that division.

I love Bash, but I’d be surprised if he’s more than a bench player next season.

Robbo, what an improvement he has had this season. But he will get plenty of cards next season as VAR will have more eyes than a Skegness Shitehawk. He’s the sort of player that would “put one on” someone early doors 🤣🤣

I think all our old guard still have a touch of class/ quality, so would do a good job in league 1.
It's the physical side, pace and athleticism thats letting them down due to age.

What was noticeable in the PL wasn't so much that the players are that much better than Championship players
but they do seem taller, stronger, quicker, all built like top athletes.

A real important aspect of may of our players (including those out of contract) isn't the quality, it's their attitude.
Don't really rate McBurnie or Robinson as players but I have so much respect for both, they are both winners, who will fight and run through brick walls.
The Burnley game sums up Robinson to a tea, makes 2 blunders gifting them early goals but then plays brilliant in the 2nd half, even scoring a goal.

Take a look at Watford, plenty of very high quality players, but no characters and no leaders, so their excellent players are struggling as a team.
The secret of our success is we have plenty of leaders who don't know they are beat.
Also characters like McBurnie make the whole training camp a more enjoyable place for young loanees like McAtee and Doyle.
So although I don't really rate McBurnie strangely enough I would keep him if the price is right wouldn't bother me if we keep some of the others too.
Also as he's a fighter, wouldn't surprise me if McBurnie plays better in the PL than he did in the Championship.

3 years ago I heard McBurnie talking on Talksport when covid started.
He admitted that he didn't like the idea of re-starting the season playing behind closed doors because he feeds off the energy for the crowd.
He joked that in training he doesn't perform as well as on match day because he thrives off pressure from a crowd, the bigger the crowd the better.
Also mentioned that some players don't like receiving stick from away fans but he enjoys the banter and he thinks it makes him play better.

Last edited:
I think all players may, or may not depart.

End of thread :D

Agree with most of that except Adam Davies. I know he’s an international but so is Robin Olsen and he was abject for us.

Keeper is going to be one of the key positions for us next season.

Other than that, well written. Enda would be a great signing for someone like Portsmouth.

I wouldn’t rule Donny out for Billy but as you say it’s league 2, but I think he’d fill his boots in that division.

I love Bash, but I’d be surprised if he’s more than a bench player next season.

Robbo, what an improvement he has had this season. But he will get plenty of cards next season as VAR will have more eyes than a Skegness Shitehawk. He’s the sort of player that would “put one on” someone early doors 🤣🤣
Can't Billy sign for one of the league on play off teams sign him now, then he could get his 250th goal against the unclean in the last minute of the play off final

Can't Billy sign for one of the league on play off teams sign him now, then he could get his 250th goal against the unclean in the last minute of the play off final
That would be fantastic…

Basham, Norwood and Robinson still have something to offer. Ideally Robinson and Norwood would be backup rather than regular starters, and Basham might not even make the 9-man bench all the time, but unless we get a mega-rich owner and a Forest-like makeover (which would be awful), him being 3rd choice for a few positions would be fine, similar with Osborn.

Not sure Sharp can cut it any any level any more, as he lacks the anticipation to get in the right position to score rather than actually missing chances, again though it depends on the squad makeup, if he's 5th or 6th choice striker taking the 25th spot in the squad and doing some coaching on finishing with the others he might be worth keeping around, if he wants to keep playing regularly at League One or Two level nobody would deny him that.

Stevens has looked like a candidate for the glue factory for a couple of years so if he can get another couple of injury-free years somewhere lower down good luck to him, likewise Fleck has been increasingly more bad than good so it's nice that he got a goal last week but it's time for him to move on and he'd have a good few years at Scottish Premiership level. We need another keeper, not sure Davies is worth keeping as third choice.

I don't think there's any question of McBurnie leaving, unless somebody in the Championship offers us a silly amount. If Forest offer us £30m, Gibbs-White and a bag of double lollies, then let him go.

Not sure why ends is getting a lot of hate. Has he really become that bad? Also like mentioned above some of these players may play better in the prem than the championship. Look at lundstram last time. Couldn't buy a champ game then went and smashed it in the prem.

Thanks to all those leaving. Good luck.

My interest and concern is regarding who is coming in to keep us in the Prem.

Stevens - great signing when he came and served the club well but done now as a Blade and unfit for purpose moving back up to the Prem. Release.

Fleck - has had an off-on career in red-and-white, epitomised by Wilder's characterisation as 'Jimmy' or 'Johnny'. Won't cut it at all upstairs. Release.

Norwood - to some 'the player who makes us tick'. To others, a wasteful showpony and even moreso now when shown against a real midfield general like Doyle. Will be bled dry upstairs. He was last time. Release.

Basham - still possesses a decent level of skill and footballing nuance. He is however getting on a bit and might be taking up a billet in the squad better taken by a younger, more adept footballer. But he has the ability to be a swiss army knife of adaptability. CB, WB, MF. Could be a Cup player or an emergency stand in, at least on a one year contract. Keep.

Sharp - hope he gets his 250th. But in the PL he will be toast. Release,

McBurnie - now back at his McPub level of shitness. Release.

Brewster - a mistake signing. An injury liability and unlikely to never show any of his worth. Release.

Osborn - another one only just good enough for the Champ not nowhere near good enough for the PL. Release

Berge - has a fucking lorryload of convincing to do. Keep ... but holding one's nose doing so

Lowe - just Release. He will be embarassingly shit in the division above.

Bogle - another one underperforming. Keep but with reservations

pommpey

So although I don't really rate McBurnie strangely enough I would keep him if the price is right wouldn't bother me if we keep some of the others too.
Also as he's a fighter, wouldn't surprise me if McBurnie plays better in the PL than he did in the Championship.

3 years ago I heard McBurnie talking on Talksport when covid started.
He admitted that he didn't like the idea of re-starting the season playing behind closed doors because he feeds off the energy for the crowd.
He joked that in training he doesn't perform as well as on match day because he thrives off pressure from a crowd, the bigger the crowd the better.
Also mentioned that some players don't like receiving stick from away fans but he enjoys the banter and he thinks it makes him play better.

Did you watch the 2nd half of the Huddersfield game McBurnie offers nothing he will not play better in the PL the defenders are so much better than defenders in the Championship
He struggles to control a ball he cant hold the ball up he cant head a ball in the attacking third of the pitch half the time he doesnt even bother jumping

Stevens and Fleck should be finished at United also dont think Basham is good enough at Championship level same applies to Osborn. Norwood and Robinson squad players. Sharp I would keep on as I think he has the respect of a lot of the squad so would be good to have around the dressing room

Stevens - great signing when he came and served the club well but done now as a Blade and unfit for purpose moving back up to the Prem. Release.

Fleck - has had an off-on career in red-and-white, epitomised by Wilder's characterisation as 'Jimmy' or 'Johnny'. Won't cut it at all upstairs. Release.

Norwood - to some 'the player who makes us tick'. To others, a wasteful showpony and even moreso now when shown against a real midfield general like Doyle. Will be bled dry upstairs. He was last time. Release.

Basham - still possesses a decent level of skill and footballing nuance. He is however getting on a bit and might be taking up a billet in the squad better taken by a younger, more adept footballer. But he has the ability to be a swiss army knife of adaptability. CB, WB, MF. Could be a Cup player or an emergency stand in, at least on a one year contract. Keep.

Brewster - a mistake signing. An injury liability and unlikely to never show any of his worth. Release.

Osborn - another one only just good enough for the Champ not nowhere near good enough for the PL. Release

Berge - has a fucking lorryload of convincing to do. Keep ... but holding one's nose doing so

pommpey
You cant release players still under contract

pommpey
Several of the players you propose are still in contract and the club have options on others - are you saying they should all be paid up?

Several of the players you propose are still in contract and the club have options on others - are you saying they should all be paid up?
just because their on contracts doesnt necessarely mean they will stay just means we can ask for a fee for them

pommpey
The problem with releasing these 8, when we have lost 3/4 loan players from the squad is that we will struggle to find 11/12 new players who are all better than these.
I think 5/6 newcomers is the most we can realistically expect.

Not sure why ends is getting a lot of hate. Has he really become that bad? Also like mentioned above some of these players may play better in the prem than the championship. Look at lundstram last time. Couldn't buy a champ game then went and smashed it in the prem.
Lunny trained like mad in the summer of 2019 + returned as a beast of a physical unit , who took us all by surprise starting with our opening home goal v Palace.

Taller , stronger , faster in thought & deed is the athletic difference in the PL , so which of our lot can do that ?

Prior to the Wrexham game, I was thinking Billy would be a perfect signing for them. Can't see it happening now though! I'd give him another year though before going down the coaching route.

Norwood should be kept on, let's not forget he's the best midfielder we've ever had and still had a year left in him next to a box to box type.

McBurnie should stay but with the intention of being a sub, we need a better focal point in the Premier League.

The problem with releasing these 8, when we have lost 3/4 loan players from the squad is that we will struggle to find 11/12 new players who are all better than these.
I think 5/6 newcomers is the most we can realistically expect.
Got to say again , if we cant find or afford players better than these , we dont belong in the premier league

Norwood should be kept on, let's not forget he's the best midfielder we've ever had and still had a year left in him next to a box to box type.

I disagree. Norwood has never been a box-to-box midfielder. He sits just in front of the back three, receives it from Egan and thumps it long or across the pitch. He never carries the ball out and is still fragile with jockeying and tackling.

pommpey

Back
Top Bottom