1973-74 match reports and photos (50 years ago today)

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

6/10/1973

Blades 1 (Woodward pen) Leicester 1 (Weller)

I dont remember how I got to know the score or remember what my dad said in his letter to my school about the match. I dont think I was aware that our match was televised. Every Sunday afternoon between 2pm and 4pm at school (unless there is bad weather) all the pupils up to the 5th form had to go for a Sunday walk away from the school premises (usually in the Snelsmore Common). This meant I rarely watched "The Big Match" on TV during my boarding school years.

I think the first time I realised that the match was televised was in 1993 when the YTV video of Blades goals between 1968 and 1981 was produced. It was the first time I saw the footage of Woody's perfectly struck penalty pass the England International keeper, Peter Shilton.

Highlights of the match starts from 36 mins in below video. It does look like Leicester should have had a penalty in the 2nd half?

Birchenall trips TC for the penalty

Leic73penfoul.jpg

Congratulations for Woody on scoring the penalty

Leic73celebtation.jpg
Leic73woody.jpg
Not sure if the 2 below photos are two different saves by Shilton or it is the same one? Bone looking frustrated!
Leic73shilt1.png
Leic73shilt2.png
Leic73eddie.jpg
Leic73birch.jpg
Leic73Bone.jpg
Leic73gu1.jpg
Leic73gu2.jpg
Leic73gu3.jpg
Leic73mt1.jpg
Leic73mt2.jpg
Scores, scorers, line ups and league tables are in below link

From the programme

Leic73lanenews.jpg
Leic73tony.jpg
Leic73board.jpg
Leic73tc.jpg
Leic73osmond.jpg

8/10/1973

League Cup 2nd round

West Brom 2 (Shaw, Cantello) Blades 1 (Woodward)

Why was the cup match played on a Monday night? Not sure if I was aware of the match being played and that I checked for the score in the papers the next day? I was probably counting my days to the October school holidays!

WBA73mt1.jpg
WBA73mt2.jpg

13/10/1973

Stoke City 1 (Colquhoun og) Blades 2 (Woodward, Scullion)

In the previous day I travelled home by train (via London) from my school in Newbury area to Sheffield for the beginning of the two week school holiday. It meant that I get see the Blades play at Stoke and Liverpool also the home game against Manchester City.

I dad and I travelled to the match by coach organised by the SUSC Dronfield branch. I remember this because on the return home I was startled to see a Blade who lived in the same road as me use a lighter to set a small flame on the back of someone's else hair that was put out very quickly.

I remember all the goals. In the first half an own goal by Colquhoun gave Stoke the lead. It came from a cross on the right and there was a deflection and the ball cannoned off the head of Colquhoun, who was running back towards the goal, McAlister had no chance to stop the ball going into the net. It wasnt funny at the time but looking back I still picture it as a comical own goal. In the 2nd half Woody hit the equaliser with a powerful ground shot that pierced through the Stoke defensive wall. Late in the game Scullion hit a powerful piledriver from the right for the winner.

It is strange that I dont remember TC being "too ill" to play in the match not only that he is our star player but he is due to play for England in a very important World Cup qualifying match against Poland 4 days later (my dad had already bought tickets for me and him to go to the match at Wembley!) but I do remember noticing Mike McDonald playing in goal for Stoke (he played only 5 games for Stoke according to google).

Stoke73tcill.jpg
Stoke73gu1.jpg
Stoke73gu2.jpg
Stoke73gu3.jpg
Stoke73mt.jpg
Scores, scorers, line ups and league tables in below link

13/10/1973

Stoke City 1 (Colquhoun og) Blades 2 (Woodward, Scullion)

In the previous day I travelled home by train (via London) from my school in Newbury area to Sheffield for the beginning of the two week school holiday. It meant that I get see the Blades play at Stoke and Liverpool also the home game against Manchester City.

I dad and I travelled to the match by coach organised by the SUSC Dronfield branch. I remember this because on the return home I was startled to see a Blade who lived in the same road as me use a lighter to set a small flame on the back of someone's else hair that was put out very quickly.

I remember all the goals. In the first half an own goal by Colquhoun gave Stoke the lead. It came from a cross on the right and there was a deflection and the ball cannoned off the head of Colquhoun, who was running back towards the goal, McAlister had no chance to stop the ball going into the net. It wasnt funny at the time but looking back I still picture it as a comical own goal. In the 2nd half Woody hit the equaliser with a powerful ground shot that pierced through the Stoke defensive wall. Late in the game Scullion hit a powerful piledriver from the right for the winner.

It is strange that I dont remember TC being "too ill" to play in the match not only that he is our star player but he is due to play for England in a very important World Cup qualifying match against Poland 4 days later (my dad had already bought tickets for me and him to go to the match at Wembley!) but I do remember noticing Mike McDonald playing in goal for Stoke (he played only 5 games for Stoke according to google).

View attachment 172943
View attachment 172944
View attachment 172945
View attachment 172946
View attachment 172947

I remember going over to Stoke for this game. I wasn't optimistic about our chances when I heard TC wasn't playing.

I recall Blades fans chanting 'Newcastle, Newcastle' at the Stoke fans. I think they'd seen the signs for Newcatle under Lyme on the way to the ground.

Geography not one of the strongest points in our fan base.

leic73osmond-jpg.172585

View attachment 172585

Who knew Anton Du Beke worked for the Blades before his dancing career took off?

17/10/1973

World Cup qualifying match

England 1 (Clarke pen) Poland 1 (Domarski)

My dad managed to get us tickets through the post for the match at Wembley. There was a tall young man from somewhere in Chesterfield that travelled with us in my dad's car. Not seen him before and probably not seen him again after the night. He wasnt a Blade but a big fan of the England football team. Years later my dad told me that the sister (or a close relative) of the young man got killed in an air crash somewhere in the Far East.

My dad placed a bet in a bookmakers that England would win 5-0. I found it strange that he thought Alf Ramsey would get the sack as England's manager but expected us to beat Poland 5-0! I knew that Lubanski (Poland's star player) was ruled out of the match due to an injury but I didnt know any other players in the Poland team.

After my dad parked his car near Wembley we saw coachloads of Poland supporters making their way through the slow traffic, my dad gestured to one of the fans through the coach window that we would win 5-0, a Polish fan smiled, shook his head and gestured a 0-0 draw. The tall young man who came with us in my dad's car kindly bought me a scarf and hat from a street vendor near the ground. I think my dad refused to accept money from him for the journey so he thought it would be fair that he bought the scarf and hat?

My dad and I were in our seats below the tv gantry (Brian Moore was there with guests Brian Clough, who had just quit as Derby's manager, Derek Dougan and Malcolm Allison). I was proud to see TC playing for England. The team was Peter Shilton, Paul Madeley, Emlyn Hughes, Colin Bell, Roy McFarland, Norman Hunter, Tony Currie, Mick Channon, Martin Chivers, Allan Clarke and Martin Peters.

England attacked throughout the game but Poland defended very well and their keeper Tomaszewski made several saves. Early in the 2nd half TC sliced a good chance wide as he had slipped trying to make a good connection with his left foot (9 mins in below video). Soon after that a counter attack by Poland after a mistake by Hunter resulted in them getting the lead, the scorer Domarski was about 25 yards away from me and my dad when he leaping in celebration. It was a shock and I was very disappointed with Shilton's attempt to stop the shot. There were two men sitting near us that were shouting and arguing with each other just after the goal.

Poland's goal , my dad and I were in that section as seen in the photo below

Polandgoal.png

Eventually England equalised with a coolly taken penalty by Clarke. For the rest of the game there was further frustration as Poland still kept foilng our chances. In the dying minutes sub Kevin Hector did beat the keeper with a close range header but there was a defender on the line that was able to boot the ball away. Devastation for many in the crowd when the final whistle was sounded. My dad then told me "Tony is in tears". I didnt want to look. I think I was more disappointed that TC will not be playing in the 1974 World Cup at West Germany rather than England not being there. Had we qualified then a knee op in Spring 1974 would have ruled TC out of being in the World Cup squad anyway.
Polandtears.png
I hadnt realised that Brian Clough had labelled Tomaszewski a "clown" pre match until Brian Moore reminded Clough about it after Tomaszewski saved a penalty against West Germany during the World Cup finals. I must have missed reading about it!
Polandclown.png
On the way back to my dad's car, I was in tears and still very angry, I threw my scarf and hat down on the pavement but my dad calmly picked them up. Looking back I feel guilty about showing the tantrum in front of the young man who travelled with us as he had bought the scarf and hat for me.

It is still the only England full international match I have ever attended although my dad took me to watch Spain v Switzerland at S6 in the 1966 World Cup (I was only 4 at the time and have no memory of the occasion)

Last edited:
17/10/1973

My dad managed to get us tickets through the post for the match at Wembley. There was a tall young man from somewhere in Chesterfield that travelled with us in my dad's car. Not seen him before and probably not seen him again after the night. He wasnt a Blade but a big fan of the England football team. Years later my dad told me that the sister (or a close relative) of the young man got killed in an air crash somewhere in the Far East.

My dad placed a bet in a bookmakers that England would win 5-0. I found it strange that he thought Alf Ramsey would get the sack as England's manager but expected us to beat Poland 5-0! I knew that Lubanski (Poland's star player) was ruled out of the match due to an injury but I didnt know any other players in the Poland team.

After my dad parked his car near Wembley we saw coachloads of Poland supporters making their way through the slow traffic, my dad gestured to one of the fans through the coach window that we would win 5-0, a Polish fan smiled, shook his head and gestured a 0-0 draw. The tall young man who came with us in my dad's car kindly bought me a scarf and hat from a street vendor near the ground. I think my dad refused to accept money from him for the journey so he thought it would be fair that he bought the scarf and hat?

My dad and I were in our seats below the tv gantry (Brian Moore was there with guests Brian Clough, who had just quit as Derby's manager, Derek Dougan and Malcolm Allison). I was proud to see TC playing for England. The team was Peter Shilton, Paul Madeley, Emlyn Hughes, Colin Bell, Roy McFarland, Norman Hunter, Tony Currie, Mick Channon, Martin Chivers, Allan Clarke and Martin Peters.

England attacked throughout the game but Poland defended very well and their keeper Tomaszewski made several saves. Early in the 2nd half TC sliced a good chance wide as he had slipped trying to make a good connection with his left foot (9 mins in below video). Soon after that a counter attack by Poland after a mistake by Hunter resulted in them getting the lead, the scorer Domarski was about 25 yards away from me and my dad when he leaping in celebration. It was a shock and I was very disappointed with Shilton's attempt to stop the shot. There were two men sitting near us that were shouting and arguing with each other just after the goal.

View attachment 173082

Eventually England equalised with a coolly taken penalty by Clarke. For the rest of the game there was further frustration as Poland still kept foilng our chances. In the dying minutes sub Kevin Hector did beat the keeper with a close range header but there was a defender on the line that was able to boot the ball away. Devastation for many in the crowd when the final whistle was sounded. My dad then told me "Tony is in tears". I didnt want to look. I think I was more disappointed that TC will not be playing in the 1974 World Cup at West Germany rather than England not being there. Had we qualified then a knee op in Spring 1974 would have ruled TC out of being in the World Cup squad anyway.
View attachment 173083
I hadnt realised that Brian Clough had labelled Tomaszewski a "clown" pre match until Brian Moore reminded Clough about it after Tomaszewski saved a penalty against West Germany during the World Cup finals. I must have missed reading about it!
View attachment 173084
On the way back to my dad's car, I was in tears and still very angry, I threw my scarf and hat down on the pavement but my dad calmly picked them up. Looking back I feel guilty about showing the tantrum in front of the young man who travelled with us as he had bought the scarf and hat for me.

It is still the only England full international match I have ever attended although my dad took me to watch Spain v Switzerland at S6 in the 1966 World Cup (I was only 4 at the time and have no memory of the occasion)

Jeez, 50 years ago, seems like yesterday!

17/10/1973

View attachment 173082

View attachment 173083
View attachment 173084

The loss of memory of the 1966 WC game was probably your reality combatting the Deludomol that place is awash in.
I always get a headache after visiting that establishment, but, on the odd occasion visiting without the Blades they have been soundly beaten.
I had, at one time, thought of regular visits but decided against it on health grounds. :)

20/10/1973

Blades 1 (Dearden) Man City 2 (Law, Dearden og)

I do not remember the first half at all and I may have missed our goal due to my dad insisting on watching the 2.35pm race on TV before we set off for the match. I hate horse racing! You can see the pavilion clock in the photo below that Billy Dearden scored at 2 mins past 3!
1697782755534.png
City73billy.jpg

As for the 2nd half I remember the tragedy of Tom McAlister's leg break very well. It happened at the Kop End, you can see in the photo below and it is unbelievable that the ref didnt notice that Rodney Marsh had his studs on McAlister's leg and allowing the goal scored by Denis Law to stand. The ref should have disallowed the goal awarding us a free kick and sent Marsh off. I was in the BLUT with my dad and it was difficult to see what was happening. I have read that some spectators in the Kop had heard the crack. Law (on the right of the photo) ran towards the loose ball to tap in the equaliser.
City73legbreak.jpg
Tom then was in obvious pain and there was a long delay while Tom was being stretchered off. We were down to 10 men as Hemsley was substituted during half time. Alan Woodward put on the keeper's jersey for the 5th time in his career. At the time he still had not conceded a goal until an unlucky own goal by Dearden late in the game. Dearden tried to head away a cross from the right but his header went towards the goal. Woody did get a touch of the ball but helped it towards the top of the net. Woody's 5 stints as an emergency keeper totalled 156 minutes and not many keepers would have stopped Dearden's unfortunate header.

After the match my dad heard confirmation that McAlister had broken his leg. I read somewhere that Mike Summerbee fell out with Marsh because he was so disgusted with the challenge.

City73conn.jpg
City73booth.jpg
City73speight.jpg
City73gu1.jpg
City73gu2.jpg
City73gu3.jpg
City73gu4.jpg
City73Mt1.jpg
1697785360840.png

From the programme

City73lanenews.jpg
City73tony.jpg

27/10/1973

Liverpool 1 (Keegan) Blades 0

An old school friend from Maud Maxfield, Chris (RIP), came to the match with me and my dad by car. Jimmy Beresford from Unstone came with us too. We stood in the terracing in the Main Stand, it was difficult for me to see the action on the pitch to my right. I remember when we had a corner kick I had to find space for me to see John Flynn being marked in the goalmouth but couldnt see Woody who was taking the corner kick.

John Connaughton , on his debut for us, was at fault for the goal as he failed to catch a free kick and Kevin Keegan seized on the chance to thump in the only goal of the game. I remember my dad blaming him.

Pool73gu1.jpg
Pool73gu2.jpg
Pool73gu3.jpg
Pool73mt1.jpg
Pool73mt2.jpg

27/10/1973

An old school friend from Maud Maxfield, Chris (RIP), came to the match with me and my dad by car. Jimmy Beresford from Unstone came with us too. We stood in the terracing in the Main Stand, it was difficult for me to see the action on the pitch to my right. I remember when we had a corner kick I had to find space for me to see John Flynn being marked in the goalmouth but couldnt see Woody who was taking the corner kick.

John Connaughton , on his debut for us, was at fault for the goal as he failed to catch a free kick and Kevin Keegan seized on the chance to thump in the only goal of the game. I remember my dad blaming him.

View attachment 173528
View attachment 173529
View attachment 173530
View attachment 173531
View attachment 173532

I've emailed this bit to my Brighton fan friends:

Clough BHA.png

30/10/1973

County Cup semi final

Blades 2 (Flynn, Currie) Barnsley 0

I went back to Mary Hare after the school holidays in the previous evening, I dont think my dad was at the match and I might not have been aware of the match at the time.

From the programme

Tom.jpg

3/11/1973

Blades 1 (Colquhoun) Birmingham 1 (Hynd)

I dont remember how I found out the score at Mary Hare and dont remember what my dad wrote about the match in his letter to me. There were no Green Un, Morning Telegraph, the Star reports of the match because of the Sheffield newspaper strike but I found two short reports from the newspaper archives website.

Eddie's late equaliser

Brum73eddiegoal.jpg
1698997985768.png
Brum73reporthead.jpg
Brum73report1.jpg
Brum73report2.jpg
Brum73mirror.jpg

From the programme
Brum73lanenews.jpg
Brum73tony.jpg
Brum73tom.jpg
Brum73agent.jpg

The New Stand wont be ready for the start of 1974-75 season!
Brum73longdens.jpg

3/11/1973

Blades 1 (Colquhoun) Birmingham 1 (Hynd)

I dont remember how I found out the score at Mary Hare and dont remember what my dad wrote about the match in his letter to me. There were no Green Un, Morning Telegraph, the Star reports of the match because of the Sheffield newspaper strike but I found two short reports from the newspaper archives website.

Eddie's late equaliser

View attachment 173972
View attachment 173973
View attachment 173975
View attachment 173976
View attachment 173977
View attachment 173978

From the programme
View attachment 173979
View attachment 173980
View attachment 173981
View attachment 173982

The New Stand wont be ready for the start of 1974-75 season!
View attachment 173983
Remember it like it was yesterday. Pissing down , everyone caked in mud - even some of the players- up pops Sir Eddie and heads one into the roof of the net in the last minute . Joyful 😀

27/10/1973

View attachment 173528
View attachment 173529
View attachment 173530
View attachment 173531
View attachment 173532
Thanks to HarryHaslam for the photos
Pool731.jpeg
Pool732.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom