0114 447 0035

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Ah but there you have a difference. If fatty goes into a shop with a need, fatty knows that the mars bars will potentially kill him/her. In fact you could argue fatty is probably better versed than most about the pros and cons of a mars bar. No sales is actually required over "I want 10 of them" You could say you haven't so much sold it as just provided a service.

With the football programme what you have done is gilded the lily with something that is factually incorrect when you have mis-sold to programme. You see the clue is in the name. You haven't sold it have you? You may have exchanged money for something but that isn't the half of it Something that could be proved to be incorrect if put to any number of women. However, if said person believed that the football Programme would make them irresistible to women and you said nothing one way or the other then that is a totally different bag. You have serviced a need and that is that. A client rings me up and says I need X, and I provide X then assuming both parties are happy I have sold X. If I said X did something it didn't then I am a lying toad who should be taken to with the splintered broom handle.

By the way, the sweeping generalisation that most sales people don't care about what they sell is as misplaced as black people being needed in our first XI because of "reasons". I'll grant you there are good and bad in any profession but most people care about what they do for a living in my experience.

Selling is just the act of giving someone something you have in exchange for money. It is perfectly compatible with lying about what you are selling. Virtually every "manly" product ever made (cars, beer, fags etc etc) has associated it's product with attractive women on the basis that men will buy it because they think it will make them attractive to women. Were all those products not sold? I think the people who sold them think they were.

And as for the ethics of selling, I suspect the ethics of most sales people are something like "I make people aware of my product and they have a free choice as to whether to buy it. I don't force them to and they are a better judge of their needs than I am, so who am I to make moral decisions on their behalf".
I am seriously sceptical about the idea of sales people making decisions not to sell their products to people they think don't need them. I don't think they would keep their jobs very long.

What you are actually distinguishing here is between "good" (either in a moral or practical sense) and "bad" selling. That's a perfectly reasonable distinction to make, it is really is nonsense to say that bad selling is not selling. Just as much as it would be to say bad legal advice is not legal advice or that a bad footballer (i.e. most of the SUFC squad) is not a foottballer.

Selling is just the act of giving someone something you have in exchange for money. It is perfectly compatible with lying about what you are selling. Virtually every "manly" product ever made (cars, beer, fags etc etc) has associated it's product with attractive women on the basis that men will buy it because they think it will make them attractive to women. Were all those products not sold? I think the people who sold them think they were.

And as for the ethics of selling, I suspect the ethics of most sales people are something like "I make people aware of my product and they have a free choice as to whether to buy it. I don't force them to and they are a better judge of their needs than I am, so who am I to make moral decisions on their behalf".
I am seriously sceptical about the idea of sales people making decisions not to sell their products to people they think don't need them. I don't think they would keep their jobs very long.

What you are actually distinguishing here is between "good" (either in a moral or practical sense) and "bad" selling. That's a perfectly reasonable distinction to make, it is really is nonsense to say that bad selling is not selling. Just as much as it would be to say bad legal advice is not legal advice or that a bad footballer (i.e. most of the SUFC squad) is not a foottballer.

Back to the original point, ringing someone up to ask them if they want to buy something isn't selling. Its pestering, its canvassing but it isn't selling.

Minor point, attractive women on an advert is assumed by the buyer as part of a marketing ploy. There is no statement telling them it will make them more attractive to women. However, telling someone a programme will make them attractive to women is a statement, which when money changes hands there is a certain liability that you could be challenged (I would suggest successfully) if they can prove you said it would make them more attractive to women. You are the lawyer here, I would expect you to know that sort of shit.

Back to the original point, ringing someone up to ask them if they want to buy something isn't selling. Its pestering, its canvassing but it isn't selling.

Minor point, attractive women on an advert is assumed by the buyer as part of a marketing ploy. There is no statement telling them it will make them more attractive to women. However, telling someone a programme will make them attractive to women is a statement, which when money changes hands there is a certain liability that you could be challenged (I would suggest successfully) if they can prove you said it would make them more attractive to women. You are the lawyer here, I would expect you to know that sort of shit.

As I keep saying "selling" is purely exchanging something for money. If I plonk my programmes on E Bay and say I will take £50 for them, I am selling them am I not?

I am not talking about whether particular types of selling are legal or not. Obviously some are not. But the fact this is often called "miselling" is a clue that it is selling. Saying that illegal selling is not selling makes about as much sense as saying that having sex with someone without their consent is not sex.

Saying that illegal selling is not selling makes about as much sense as saying that having sex with someone without their consent is not sex.

Its Rape isn't it?

They've just rung me and caught me on the hop.
I am waiting on several phone calls from Sheffield numbers regarding house buying, selling, surveys, solicitors etc. That coupled with a wife in hospital I am answering calls left right and centre. I didn't notice that this was 0114 4...... and not 0114 2......
When I realised who it was I said "it's not convenient to talk right now" he said "Oh when would it be?" I said "Well, never really" and hung up. :D

"Have you been mis-sold a season ticket in the last 12 months?"

I've been mis-sold a season ticket for about the last 30 years on the misconception that we had ambition and the actual will to improve the squad sufficiently to maintain ourselves in a creditable league and position !!

UTB & FTP

"Oim corlin orn be'aalf ov Shfyuld Yernoited Futborl Club...Wot d yoo think o' the season so far, doin oryyt int we? Ar Chris is the man, innee, doin oryyt?"

Madam, you are clearly from Somerset. You're not even close to being a Blade and I don't want to enter the fucking Super Draw. I'm at work. Go away.

Anyone else had one of these today?

"Oim corlin orn be'aalf ov Shfyuld Yernoited Futborl Club...Wot d yoo think o' the season so far, doin oryyt int we? Ar Chris is the man, innee, doin oryyt?"

Madam, you are clearly from Somerset. You're not even close to being a Blade and I don't want to enter the fucking Super Draw. I'm at work. Go away.

Anyone else had one of these today?
Fucking cringeworthy when they try and act like Blades.

Ive had one told them Ive been a member for 30 years still asked me if I wanted another membership

Just had my second call in a month.

Asked to be taken off the list, al la Coutts and Freeman and phone went dead !!!

Is the hundreds of pounds in season ticket money given to them every year not enough. fuck off and stop being cunts, united.

And again just now, except this one was an absolute belter...

"Hi Tom, my name's James and I'm calling from Sheffield Wednesday Football Club"

:D:D:D

And again just now, except this one was an absolute belter...

"Hi Tom, my name's James and I'm calling from Sheffield Wednesday Football Club"

:D:D:D

I hope your reply was "fuck off James" ;)

I hope your reply was "fuck off James" ;)

Doubt I'd be that rude to someone ont phone :D

Had to laugh, though. Plenty of less mild-mannered Blades than myself around who would've said that and then some!

He didn't get far enough to say 'calls recorded for quality assurance', but I hope for his sake nobody was recording that one.

I've been mis-sold a season ticket for about the last 30 years on the misconception that we had ambition and the actual will to improve the squad sufficiently to maintain ourselves in a creditable league and position !!

UTB & FTP

Do you want to buy some magic beans? There's a very good thirty year ongoing deal available and you get a free pen* when you sign up!

* pen may not be free.

Had to laugh, though. Plenty of less mild-mannered Blades than myself around who would've said that and then some!

He didn't get far enough to say 'calls recorded for quality assurance', but I hope for his sake nobody was recording that one.

The other night I gave them a "if you're from Microsoft then I'm the fucking Easter Bunny"

I once told some telesales bloke to fuck off when I was in the office. The look on some peoples' faces.

I once told some telesales bloke to fuck off when I was in the office. The look on some peoples' faces.

Similarly I once told a PPI call person to "fuck right off and take me off their fucking list". It made me feel good until I realised I was in the middle of my office...

Back
Top Bottom