Why is Bramall Lane not a listed building?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

PeterNdlovu081

COCK PISS PARTRIDGE
Reaction score
Does anybody know if there is any kind of special protection or historical classification of any kind on Bramall Lane as a stadium?

It's always seemed quite frightening to me that in theory the club could go tits up and BDTBL could be bulldozed to make way for an Aldi or a Lidl.

According to Historic England, which is the statutory body for listing buildings and structures in England, the majority of buildings built between 1700 and 1840 are listed. So by that criteria Bramall Lane narrowly misses out.

The obvious complication comes from the fact that none of the original stands still exist, so it's like a 160 year old sweeping brush that's had the handle and head replaced half a dozen times.

However, the stadium or the land must still surely fit the criteria of being historically significant or of special interest.

The only other football related structure I know of that is protected is the façade of the main stand at Ibrox. Although I think Scotland has a different body that deals with protecting buildings.

Does anybody know if there is any kind of special protection or historical classification of any kind on Bramall Lane as a stadium?

It's always seemed quite frightening to me that in theory the club could go tits up and BDTBL could be bulldozed to make way for an Aldi or a Lidl.

According to Historic England, which is the statutory body for listing buildings and structures in England, the majority of buildings built between 1700 and 1840 are listed. So by that criteria Bramall Lane narrowly misses out.

The obvious complication comes from the fact that none of the original stands still exist, so it's like a 160 year sweeping brush that's had the handle and head replaced half a dozen times.

However, the stadium or the land must still surely fit the criteria of being historically significant or of special interest.

The only other football related structure I know of that is protected is the façade of the main stand at Ibrox. Although I think Scotland has a different body that deals with protecting buildings.

Pete, in about 10 years TC will have been at United long enough to have made your dream come true UTB

Unfortunately the buildings are not of Great historical or architectural merit. Even though the ground has witnessed some significant historical events it's the structures that need to be significant

there's quite a few non league clubs which house some protected buildings within their grounds...pretty sure Hereford have a protected stand, one of the first pre-fab ones, horrible looking thing though really.

Park Hill flats is listed, who's fuckin idea was that?

I was told that Park Hill flats was listed as it's the "only example of multi story flats of different heights who's roofs are all at the same level" presumably as it's built on the side of a hill.

Park Hill flats is listed, who's fuckin idea was that?
Because someone graffitied "SUFC" on it? It's like a Banksy...
1024px-Park_Hill_Samarkanda.JPG

Isn't the old main stand at Highbury listed?

The obvious complication comes from the fact that none of the original stands still exist, so it's like a 160 year old sweeping brush that's had the handle and head replaced half a dozen times.

I personally think you have made some valid points here. The club in recent times have made some attempts to lift the profile of BDTBL but not as much as they could have done.

The plaques on Cherry Street, the museum and Gary Sinclair's muffled statement declaring 'the world's oldest professional football ground' as the players come out is about all we get.

I think the club should look towards having the ground designated a World Heritage site. Definition according to Wikipedia is 'a site that is selected on the basis of having cultural, historical, scientific or some other form of significance'

I cannot think of anything more historical, cultural and significant than being the birthplace of the Beautiful Game.

(By the way I also like Park Hill flats.)

Great Yarmouth Town have this wondrous 120 odd years old piece of architecture preserved in all its glory!

674659930.jpg

Stayed in a guest house across from there a few years back. Great stand. At the time I remember thinking bet that used to be a cricket ground. Don't know if it was but it looks like it should have been.

As for the Lane, the old cricket pavilion should have been a listed building, especially if f***ing park hill flats are.

Stayed in a guest house across from there a few years back. Great stand. At the time I remember thinking bet that used to be a cricket ground. Don't know if it was but it looks like it should have been.

As for the Lane, the old cricket pavilion should have been a listed building, especially if f***ing park hill flats are.

Yes...from all the old pictures ive seen posted up on here and links ive been pointed towards for what BDTBL used to be like I feel like it should never have been lost either..that was a proper piece of history that, a glimpse of the past when football and cricket shared common grounds. Bradford PA had a wonderful looking old ground back in the day which doubled up for cricket too.

One little gem that is still standing proud is this..
The pavillion at the Cadbury Athletic sports ground which is used for football and cricket in Bourneville next to the chocolate world, built in 1902.

Chs7ShtXAAAHID2.jpg cadbury-25.jpg IMG_6824a.jpg

Ironically Milton Keynes had one of the oldest grounds still going until the heathens rejected calls to preserve it and maintain its heritage, it was built in 1885 by the LNWR workers for multi sports use, Wolverton Park Stadium, it had a cycle track round it, was used for bowls,tennis,athletics,football and cricket.

wolverton-park-14.jpg

More to be seen here..

http://tims92.blogspot.co.uk/2011/03/wolverton-park-if-youre-travelling-on.html?m=1

The whole 'listed' thing is like making every person who reaches 90 years old immortal.

No one benefits apart from people who want to stare at really old things, and you need to give them hip and knee replacements every 2 years just so they don't collapse.

One little gem that is still standing proud is this..
The pavillion at the Cadbury Athletic sports ground

just to say 'Hear Hear'... I worked for about 3 months at Bournville...... I know its twee, I know its Dry, but its flippin. gorgeous....I boarded at a B&B across the road from the Sport's Ground - totally 'Arts 'n' Crafts'... I think a beautiful coffee table book of drawings of quaint cricket pavillions is well overdue, I'd do it miself, but I'd only get ripped off halfway down the line......

Jesus Xmas Jonny, I've just had a look at the old Wolverton Stadium and the 'attempts' at preservation....utter cretinous shit - ruined for good. Until they ONLY let architects design buildings and decide planning issues AND only allow architects of substantial quality and general knowledge to qualify to use the name AND ban builders from building without such qualified architects intervention....then this sort of middle-class/criminal vandalism will recur.

Yes, you've all got Porsches, so fcuking what

scum

when did you run there, in the early 90's...:p

Think it was 96 or 98. They all blend in to one once it gets past 10 years...

Can't find a photo but there's a similar pavilion at Loughborough Uni but smells slightly less of piss.

Surely if it was listed, then any stands/extensions etc wouldn't be easily built and would complicate building regs etc?
More importantly, why has the front not been clad in glass yet, about time it got a face-lift in keeping with other parts of the ground!?
Don't want it to start looking like that rusty tin shed in S6 do we!!!!

Jesus Xmas Jonny, I've just had a look at the old Wolverton Stadium and the 'attempts' at preservation....utter cretinous shit - ruined for good. Until they ONLY let architects design buildings and decide planning issues AND only allow architects of substantial quality and general knowledge to qualify to use the name AND ban builders from building without such qualified architects intervention....then this sort of middle-class/criminal vandalism will recur.

Yes, you've all got Porsches, so fcuking what

scum
That cancels you out then ;)

( that was your classic typing while pist contribution.... still, in vino veritas as they say. IF I felt the need and could afford it I'd apply to be re-included in the profession by the architect's registration board - mind you, they'd probably bar me out - they don't know how to handle me)

The only original feature of the lane that still exists, is the spoil heap that the kop sits on.

even that wasn't 'original'.... I thought there was a wooden stand there which was demolished for safety reasons and replaced by the Kop, doesn't the old film footage v Bury show it?

I thought (slightly counter intuitively) that wooden framed structures were the norm until the first Ibrox Stadium disaster in about 1900 when one collapsed under the weight of spectators.

Not sure when the battle of Spion Kop was, and its hardly conclusive proof but I think it was well after 1855 or whenever Bramall Lane opened as a stadium.

Back
Top Bottom