View from PNE

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Roygbiv

Reaction score
“weren't Sheffield United supposed to be taking this division by storm this year?
Weren't some knowledgeable people predicting our complete annihilation today? “

“I think it's a good result against a team that'll be up there along with us at the end of the season. “

“thoroughly enjoyed a very decent game. I didn't see the incident when what should have been our 2nd goal wasn't given. All in all it was a fair result though and both teams went for it. We can't ask for more in my view. “

“we were attacking their goal constantly for the last 30 mins “

“I was sat directly behind the goal when King headed in at the back post. The goalkeeper dived onto the ball AFTER it had crossed the line. Oh for goal line technology! I'm sure it would have been given. I'm looking forward to the highlights show to confirm it. We were robbed - great 2nd half by PNE. Much better entertainment. My only criticism would be not bringing on Laird as a natural left back rather than Woods who was beaten as many times as Davies by their tricky black winger. “

“Plenty of positives to take from that match as well as a useful point against a good side.
Well done to the managers and players today. “

“Their goalkeeper kept them in it at times. “

“great game for leaugue 1, ponit each probably fair, but Kings header WAS over the line. We looked better with Hugill on and 442, they seemed happy to settle for a point with 15 mins left. “

“Very unlucky not to win that but overall a draw is decent against a team tipped for promotion “

“As much as I dislike Sheff United, their fans are brilliant. Always a good fixture. “

“Enjoyed that game, played well with good tempo! Missed chances cost us but it's a long season “

“Great atmosphere in the 2nd half. Two proper clubs with proper sets of supporters. Took me back to the Championship days “

“what a great game of football. Really refreshing in this league to see two teams have a go at each other. “

“a point against the favourites (coughs) for the league…..decent point I suppose even though we feel cheated out of a goal “

“Great game today. End to end. Unlucky not to win but probably a fair result! “

“Another horrific, utterly embarrassing display by your "officials" sort it out, you're ruining the beautiful game ! “

“Best game at Deepdale in ages! Could have gone either way. Should have gone our way though. Looked a goal from my view “

“Obviously frustrating to draw it but what a cracking game. Good advert for L1 “

“i thought it was a terrific match, with two teams both going for it, while at times being forced on to the back foot by the opposition. So for me, barring the referee all positive. “

“It was a decent game and we really did go for it (as did Sheff Utd). It was a fair result and a decent point.“

“it was a bloody good game! Both teams proper up for it and both looked dangerous!”

“Honestly best game of football between 2 great teams i've seen in a long while! Although the FA really needs to get GLT in all of the top leagues! “

“Should have won that one, thought we were very unlucky and can't really knock the team. Sheff Utd had a good period of pressure after half time but other than set pieces and some good deliveries from Ryce, I thought they looked a bit limited. “

“Cracking second half where two teams battled it out.
The ref was a plank “

“Finally a game I enjoyed because the opposition didn't park the bus. I'd take that draw although it should have been 2-1 win. Two teams that will make the top 6 “

“Improvement on the 2 home performances so far & but for their keeper we would've won. “

Well, they do seem certain it was over the line. With the whole of the pitch between me and Howard's goal, and with red & white spectacles perched on my nose, I can safely say it was a brilliant save. Might have been a touch over the line, but still a brilliant save!

Howard MoM for me, he made some cracking saves. Speaking to a PNE supporter before the game and he said they are garbage and he's be happy to lose 3-0, so I was a bit disappointed! Great game though, but for Howard we'd have lost quite heavily

Nice to see us having a go away from home. Goals is still a concern, it at least the performances are getting there. Hopefully if we can keep up with the top 6 until Christmas, a couple of decent additions should see us challenging for promotion.

It was a terrific game and I was proud of the lads for their effort. We were terribly unlucky with their goal as we made the much brighter start but we struggled badly 20 mins or so after their goal. Baxter looked like the only one putting in 100% in the first half and was head and shoulders above the rest. Howard saved us many times but Preston were a good side and looked such a threat on the attack. I thought defensively we were very good for the most part and the midfield was very good apart from Murphy looking terribly off form for the most part. Higdon won a few headers but he isn't going to score more than 15 goals this season as many of us hoped, but blimy José Baxter looks a class above I must say. Basham, Doyle, McEveley, McGahey, Collins, Campbell-Ryce (apart from that horrific attempt at a lob that was our best chance of the whole game) all had good games too. A great game, a very good performance and a point away at who I expect to win the league. Happy Blade.

Tricky black winger?!!!!!!!! Dear me! As opposed to our tricky white pastey skinned Scottish one!! Some people.
In fairness,Murphy didn't look that tricky today and more often than not thried to players on going across ss the pitch rather than forwards

Just got back from the match. Thought we looked a lot more dangerous today than I've seen in previous games. Players battling, defensively sound and wingers trying to take people on! Stand out performers today in my opinion were JCR, Howard, Baxter and steady Eddie at left back. JCR was class, he was looking to take people on every time he had the ball and whipped in some sound balls. On that performance I think he may well have earned himself another starting place next game. All the players played well today and once again bash am covered most blades of grass. Also nice to see wallace slowly making his way in to the first team. All in I think it was a fair result and 2 good teams can go away with a well earned point. UTB

Good report South_Stand. JCR needs a good run in the team to allow him to really express himself.
UTB

Shame no mention of the class strike by Jose.

Strong team performance today, a few individuals stood out as well. Howard was superb, I like McEveley more every time I see him and Baxter was sensational in that central role. He bossed the game first half.

I think we look physically and mentally stronger than we did last year. Once we get going we will be difficult to beat. Still gelling at the moment.

A mention for Collins and McGahey (all the back four actually) who looked very assured.

Also please please please can we play JCR on a more consistent basis. I really like him, unsettles defenders and generally makes a nuisance of himself. That's what we need more of.

Working on converting a friend & hs son who support Liverpool (though they've never been to Anfield). What a great advert that game was. Probably a fair result, but Howard did keep us in it with some brilliant saves.
Impossible to say whether it was over the line. Will they even show it on the league show tonight - it'd take more than our alloted 2 seconds of highlights.
Their number 14 was a truly dirty little shit, leading with his elbow from the first minute. Grayson teams always play like that. They didn't seem quite as dirty as they did last season though. Ref obviously didn't see the start of the head-to-head bit at the end, otherwise the Preston player would have been off, which would have spoiled what was a game played at a high tempo with lots of solid challenges, but not too many nasty ones (Campbell-Ryce's terrible tackle late on).

And what a noise! A bit subdued for the last few minutes. Can't imagine what it would've been like had we won. Some well lubricated fans were getting a bit over-excited though.

Good report South_Stand. JCR needs a good run in the team to allow him to really express himself.
UTB

Yes Gaz I agree. When we first signed him I must admit I was a bit underwhelmed. However every player deserves a chance and I think he's won a few fans over on his performance today and the glimpses we've seen in recent games. He looked one of the fittest players on the pitch today making endless runs at defenders even in the latter stages of the game and with more games he can only improve.

I can see JCR being one of those who is either the best player on the pitch or the worst. He has something that no other player in the squad has other than Murphy and that is the ability to take on a full back. He is an excellent player to have in the squad as alongside Murphy and Baxter he is a genuine game changer at this level

I think we look physically and mentally stronger than we did last year. Once we get going we will be difficult to beat. Still gelling at the moment.

A mention for Collins and McGahey (all the back four actually) who looked very assured.
Who'd have thought it and only 5 league games in. We need to keep the faith as they're bound to be another unexpected bump during the next 5 matches. I still think this squad get promoted come May.

They seem like a fair bunch although I can't say I understand this,"As much as I dislike Sheff United, their fans are brilliant. Always a good fixture."
If he thinks the fans are alright what exactly does he dislike about us? The players change regularly and the manager has done an awful lot in recent years. The board or something?

On another note, Howard seems to be the man of the season so far. He's received a lot of praise this year for many games although when I was at the Mansfield game he had a few moments.

Tricky black winger?!!!!!!!! Dear me! As opposed to our tricky white pastey skinned Scottish one!! Some people.
Strange comment as they were booing him all game and the comms said that the reason was because he'd broken owne of their players legs previously.

I said to the other half on the way home, JCR looks like a Febian Brandy with talent. BTW is Keith Edwards sounding less suicidal on his comms? I've almost given up on games I can't make, due to his negativity.

Well aside from their complaints about decisions and their mocking of our status as favourites (something we've done plenty of ourselves) I'd say that seems a pretty balanced summary from their fans. They all seemed to enjoy themselves at any rate and the Unitedites who went are getting a lot of praise too. Nice to hear.

Seeing as how they only have one camera at a game there's a limit to how useful showing it would be anyway.

The over-the-line-or-not controversy

I wasn't at PNE so I have no idea if it was or not but to illustrate that these things tend to even themselves out over time I'd cite a night match at home to Wolves a few years back - we lost - when I'm absolutely convinced a Brian Howard corner at the Kop end was over the line before it was scooped out by Wayne Hennessey.

I wasn't at PNE so I have no idea if it was or not but to illustrate that these things tend to even themselves out over time I'd cite a night match at home to Wolves a few years back - we lost - when I'm absolutely convinced a Brian Howard corner at the Kop end was over the line before it was scooped out by Wayne Hennessey.

I remember one against Leicester in the 1975/76 season when Mark Wallington was virtually picking the ball out of the back of the net and the linesman didn't give it. Justice at last!

Just watched the extended highlights on Sheff U tube. We created a bag of chances, many from JCR and many just requiring the final touch in the 6 yard box. Quite encouraged by this, it sounded a great game on the radio.

If we sign a decent striker in the next 36 hours ........

Back
Top Bottom