Tonights Corporate Meeting With The Chairman

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

AlienWoodward

Reaction score
Just got home from a meeting held by Kevin McCabe with the corporate side (the prawn sandwich brigade)
It was a very good meeting and he dodged no questions. In fairness to him he was excellent.
He spoke like a fan and without mentioning names he was just as upset as the rest of us with how some of this seasons signings have worked out, in fact he was pissed off.
It was particular obvious how he felt when he said Del Geary was the new under 18s manager. He described him as a five foot nothing with heart and passion who can out jump a certain forward. He slated more or less every signing made apart from Billy and wishes the rest of the players had half of his passion for the club.
Yes there will be new players coming and a lot going it would certainly appear NO ones job at the club is safe by any means. It appears as though as many as eight first team players are off. And yes some youth will come in as well.
There is no rift with the Prince, none at all. His money is still coming in and it will be game changing when we get into the Championship.
Mr Jim has gone and it seemed a sense of good riddance as McCabe hated the twitter and Facebook lark that Mr Jim seemed to enjoy. McCabe stated it is no way for a co chairman of a football club to behave. There is someone new to replace him and Selahattin is still around. McCabe is meeting him this week and has a meeting penciled in with the prince for next week.
He gave a floor vote to everyone who sits in a box as to whether or not they would like the 10% discount given to season ticket holders. Everyone voted against it apart from a dozen pensioners who have some sort of a season ticket in there.
He said on Adkins that he interviewed many potential managers and Nigel was leaps and bounds above the rest and he thought he'd employed the man who would take us up this season (didn't we all).
Clough went for none football reasons.
I can't think of anything else at the minute.
Oh I can. His view on Ched playing for us again, which is ..............................

Just got home from a meeting held by Kevin McCabe with the corporate side (the prawn sandwich brigade)
It was a very good meeting and he dodged no questions. In fairness to him he was excellent.
He spoke like a fan and without mentioning names he was just as upset as the rest of us with how some of this seasons signings have worked out, in fact he was pissed off.
It was particular obvious how he felt when he said Del Geary was the new under 18s manager. He described him as a five foot nothing with heart and passion who can out jump a certain forward. He slated more or less every signing made apart from Billy and wishes the rest of the players had half of his passion for the club.
Yes there will be new players coming and a lot going it would certainly appear NO ones job at the club is safe by any means. It appears as though as many as eight first team players are off. And yes some youth will come in as well.
There is no rift with the Prince, none at all. His money is still coming in and it will be game changing when we get into the Championship.
Mr Jim has gone and it seemed a sense of good riddance as McCabe hated the twitter and Facebook lark that Mr Jim seemed to enjoy. McCabe stated it is no way for a co chairman of a football club to behave. There is someone new to replace him and Selahattin is still around. McCabe is meeting him this week and has a meeting penciled in with the prince for next week.
He gave a floor vote to everyone who sits in a box as to whether or not they would like the 10% discount given to season ticket holders. Everyone voted against it apart from a dozen pensioners who have some sort of a season ticket in there.
He said on Adkins that he interviewed many potential managers and Nigel was leaps and bounds above the rest and he thought he'd employed the man who would take us up this season (didn't we all).
Oh I can. His view on Ched playing for us again, which is ..............................

Amazing what listening brings out rather than shouting "weers munni gone"

Thanks for that.

How long before the usual whining cunts raise their heads above the parapet and start the slagging off ...

I'd do a poll, but i'll leave them to the usual ....

Mr Jim has gone and it seemed a sense of good riddance as McCabe hated the twitter and Facebook lark that Mr Jim seemed to enjoy. McCabe stated it is no way for a co chairman of a football club to behave.

Somewhat reading between the lines on that one (as likely as it's to be) as his words were that we "may or may not" see Jim again. He didn't specifically call out Jim's conduct on social media for me but again appealed to the room as to their opinions on a chairman's usage... Making clear it wasn't for him and that he had no interest in spending all day responding to abuse.

Did think he spoke well and came across a little more confident/polished in his responses than the previous forum.

Interesting Clough went for non-footballing reasons, many said he talked himself out of the job at the time.

He did actually, it was mentioned. He didn't miss much out. He feels pretty much the way we all do, I actually felt for the bloke tonight, he gets some unfair shit thrown his way
Can you shed any light on the 'non footballing' reasons for Clough's departure by any chance?
Good that there's no rift with the Prince though and nice to hear Geary is back :)

Can you shed any light on the 'non football' reasons for Clough's departure by any chance?
Good that there's no rift with the Prince though and nice to hear Geary is back :)

He didn't really expand other than to say it wasn't really the league position or cup run, more other reasons... Before going on in the next question to talk about the number of first team pros signed and hindering things going forward.

In another answer he did mention again in hindsight regretting the Danny Wilson decision.

Can you shed any light on the 'non footballing' reasons for Clough's departure by any chance?
No he didn't go into that, but listening to other people it may be he had an ago akin to his dads. I have no idea at all to be fair,sorry.

He did actually, it was mentioned. He didn't miss much out. He feels pretty much the way we all do, I actually felt for the bloke tonight, he gets some unfair shit thrown his way

He gets shit thrown his way because he won't come out and admit he fucked up many decisions overs the years. Blaming luck all the time is tiresome and we the fans don't want to hear about how unlucky we have been.

We want a plan for the future that will get us going again, not more of if it wasn't for Tevez, Ched etc etc.

I think this 'game changing investment when we get in the Championship" is the most self defeating, ridiculous public statement any Chairman could ever make.

The majority of the current squad know they are at peak of their true ability in Division 1, but nevertheless, they have superb training facilities, play in a Premiership stadium, on a million pound pitch, in front of 20,000 fans whilst earning above average wages, in summary for most of them, things couldn't be better.

So the Chairman sends out the message to the affect that, whilst we remain in League 1, they can continue to enjoy their enviable lifestyle, however should they get the club promoted, the majority of them will be gone, bubble burst, off to Colchester or Bury playing in some shitty stadium in front of 4,500 fans on less money?

Then we wonder why the team always falls just short, out performed by smaller clubs, the players just don't seem to be bothered, why is there so little effort and it seems it's irrespective of who's in the managers office?

The time to invest is now, build a team capable of competing in the Championship who can take this Division by storm and be confident of its ability to do so at a higher level. In my opinion, only then will we see a team with real desire for promotion. :(

I think this 'game changing investment when we get in the Championship" is the most self defeating, ridiculous public statement any Chairman could ever make.

The majority of the current squad know they are at peak of their true ability in Division 1, but nevertheless, they have superb training facilities, play in a Premiership stadium, on a million pound pitch, in front of 20,000 fans whilst earning above average wages, in summary for most of them, things couldn't be better.

So the Chairman sends out the message to the affect that, whilst we remain in League 1, they can continue to enjoy their enviable lifestyle, however should they get the club promoted, the majority of them will be gone, bubble burst, off to Colchester or Bury playing in some shitty stadium in front of 4,500 fans on less money?

Then we wonder why the team always falls just short, out performed by smaller clubs, the players just don't seem to be bothered, why is there so little effort and it seems it's irrespective of who's in the managers office?

The time to invest is now, build a team capable of competing in the Championship who can take this Division by storm and be confident of its ability to do so at a higher level. In my opinion, only then will we see a team with real desire for promotion. :(
Yes there will be new players coming and a lot going it would certainly appear NO ones job at the club is safe by any means. It appears as though as many as eight first team players are off.

I've always found this point of view baffling. Do you genuinely believe that all football players will think this way?

He always talks shit at these things - so now its game changing WHEN we get in the championship.

I've always found this point of view baffling. Do you genuinely believe that all football players will think this way?

Not all footballers, but many of them, yes.

However, tell me how many of our current squad would be in your team in the Championship, or could possibly get a better deal than they currently have, elsewhere?

Do you honestly not believe that to many footballers, it's just a job and they just want what's best for them and their family above all else?

Last edited:

He has stated the majority were bad signings. A new technical team is in place. Clough style contracts won't be negotiated again. I think to be fair to McCabe he has given the managers to much of a free reign on signings and contracts in the past and these are biting us in the arse now.

He always talks shit at these things - so now its game changing WHEN we get in the championship.

That was first said a couple of years ago. It's not new and has been mentioned quite a few times.

He appears to be more forthcoming in front of an audience who are prepared to listen but he's talking shit? How does that work?

He has stated the majority were bad signings. A new technical team is in place. Clough style contracts won't be negotiated again. I think to be fair to McCabe he has given the managers to much of a free reign on signings and contracts in the past and these are biting us in the arse now.

That's the thing Turry and Red Wine Robbo had an open cheque book and Birch let Blackwell loose before their fall out over Pemberton. Yet he still let Clough do the same it seems.

Not all footballers, but tell me how many of our current squad would be in your team in the Championship?

Probably around half a dozen. What I'm saying is I find it very hard to believe that an entire squad of players would perform poorly on purpose throughout an entire season. Not only that, but to not perform so badly that they were fighting relegation, just badly enough so that they miss out on the play-offs by a few points. Do you understand how difficult that would be to achieve? And why? It's absolutely barmy. They still get paid, whatever club they're at, and paid a lot more than any other job they could get. If they're so cynical about playing football, they wouldn't care if it was in front of 500 or 75,000 people then, surely? Do you really think that earlier in the season, when we were 1 point off 6th, they all had a meeting and said "Right then lads. We'll have to lose the next game, so when they feed a ball through to their striker, can we make sure the back 4 step aside so they can score? Don't want to reach the play-offs, do we!" This point of view is held by countless football fans, and it never fails to astound me.

I get something quite different from hearing that the Prince will put serious money in after we get promoted - a feeling of "jam tomorrow".

Anyone can say that. I too will put serious money in after we get promoted. See? It's a platitude.

Easier than focusing on the actual problem in front of you I suppose.

Probably around half a dozen. What I'm saying is I find it very hard to believe that an entire squad of players would perform poorly on purpose throughout an entire season. Not only that, but to not perform so badly that they were fighting relegation, just badly enough so that they miss out on the play-offs by a few points. Do you understand how difficult that would be to achieve? And why? It's absolutely barmy. They still get paid, whatever club they're at, and paid a lot more than any other job they could get. If they're so cynical about playing football, they wouldn't care if it was in front of 500 or 75,000 people then, surely? Do you really think that earlier in the season, when we were 1 point off 6th, they all had a meeting and said "Right then lads. We'll have to lose the next game, so when they feed a ball through to their striker, can we make sure the back 4 step aside so they can score? Don't want to reach the play-offs, do we!" This point of view is held by countless football fans, and it never fails to astound me.

But it doesn't take an entire squad does it, you've just said you'd keep six, so the other five just go through the motions, that team won't get promoted. It doesn't have to be a conscious decision, just a general apathy from a few players is enough.
It's an undeniable fact, that for many of them, their professional life won't get any better and they have nothing to gain and everything to lose by getting promoted. I just think that a Chairman who publicly states that promotion will mean significant investment in the playing squad, is counter productive.
If your boss at work said something similar and you thought you were past your best, would you up your productivity ?
If that's McCabes blueprint for success then fine, but I think he'd be better keeping it to himself, that's all.

The attitude and application of the players is something that has been called into question this past two seasons more than ever.
It's not that they performed poorly on purpose, they performed poorly with a complete lack of purpose.

Yes, limitations in the technical abilities of the team overall have been a factor, but we don't have a poorer squad than Bury or Crewe or Shrewsbury who we not only lost to but they didn't even need to get out of second gear in order to beat us.

It's not unreasonable to suggest that players who command a high wage in an insignificant league, lack the incentive to put in a shift on the pitch. In the case of Che Adams, he couldn't even be arsed to train properly prior to the away game at Millwall.
I strongly suspect that this attitude is endemic throughout the team as evidenced both in their "displays" on the pitch and quite frankly twattish conduct off of it.

Not sure why he'd be more forthcoming and provide more positive answers in a less publicised meeting.

The bit about investing 'when' we get into the Championship is absurd and foolish, and probably even a lie. How can they not realise we need substantial investment just to get into the Championship? Not to mention the fact you can build the core of a decent Championship side while still in League One.

The reasons for Clough's sacking must have been football related in some way, if not direct football performance reasons. Insisting on doing it his way for example? Refusing to change? Arguments over past signings or potential signings? Arguments over levels of authority?
And why am I not surprised to hear about talk of a giant ego...

At least it sounds a bit more promising about incomings, and 8 of the current squad departing would be a decent start.

I'm not anti McCabe, I think he has the best interests of the club at heart and gets unwarranted flack from the fans.

I just wish he'd stop trotting out this "When we get in the Championship" line

That was first said a couple of years ago. It's not new and has been mentioned quite a few times.

He appears to be more forthcoming in front of an audience who are prepared to listen but he's talking shit? How does that work?

Because he is a business man. Thats what he does and always has.
But he,s a blade with 18000 every week .............. Next

Back
Top Bottom